Did L Ron Hubbard plagiarize Scientology?

kennethno...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2008, 1:04:12 AM2/28/08
I've never seen this before but it seems to be blowing up on Digg and
other sites:
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/27/l-ron-hubbard-plagia.html

Digg - http://digg.com/world_news/Scientology_not_invented_by_Hubbard

If this is true about L Ron Hubbard, not only was Scientology made up,
it wasn't even made up by him.

Scientology was created by a Dr. Nordenholz?

Hmmm.... was he also part of the Galactic Federation?

Lafayette at The Beacon

Feb 28, 2008, 2:47:26 AM2/28/08
On Feb 28, 6:04 am, kennethnoisewat...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've never seen this before but it seems to be blowing up on Digg and
> other sites:http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/27/l-ron-hubbard-plagia.html
>
> Digg -http://digg.com/world_news/Scientology_not_invented_by_Hubbard

> If this is true about L Ron Hubbard, not only was Scientology made up,
> it wasn't even made up by him.
>
> Scientology was created by a Dr. Nordenholz?
>
> Hmmm.... was he also part of the Galactic Federation?

The book certainly seems genuine. Here's an entry for it on Abe Books.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=823939904

Whether or not its contents suggest Hubbard did indeed plagiarise it
is hard to say. We know that various aspects of the tech come from
other sources (Scholastic Tech is based in part on Montessori, for
instance) and that LRH really didn't go in for citations.

However, here's Roy Waillis on the subject in The Road To Total
Freedom:

"Nordenholz, in a thoroughly opaque work of philosophical speculation
published in 1934, presents the notion of
'scientology' as a science of knowledge to be developed on the basis
of a set of axioms. Apart from the name of the 'science', its concern
with knowledge and how to grasp it, and the idea of erecting a set of
axioms as the basic formulation of the science, it is not evident that
Nordenholz provided much that became incorporated into Hubbard's
Scientology." (http://www.holysmoke.org/cos/books/the-road-to-total-
freedom.txt)

Your humble servant,

Lafayette,

http://myurlisname.blogspot.com

feministe

Feb 28, 2008, 3:38:10 AM2/28/08
"Lafayette at The Beacon" <notechpleas...@googlemail.com> a écrit
dans le message de

There has been a more ancient use of the word scientology, I believe it was
in a 1895or 1905 journal. I've notime to find it back, but it was disclosed
in 2007 or 2006.

gandow

Feb 28, 2008, 3:48:33 AM2/28/08
feministe schrieb:

not so ancient:
"In 1908, Upward self-published a book (originally written in 1901)
which he apparently thought would be Nobel Prize material: The New Word.
This book is today known as the first citation of the word
"Scientology", although it is used in the book in a disparaging way to
describe "science elevated to unquestioning doctrine". It is unknown
whether L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of the Scientology-organization,
knew of this book."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Upward

Feisty

Feb 28, 2008, 4:21:53 AM2/28/08

"gandow" <gan...@dialogzentrum.de> wrote in message

http://www.sacred-texts.com/etc/tnw/index.htm

Eldon

Feb 28, 2008, 5:35:56 AM2/28/08
On Feb 28, 7:04 am, kennethnoisewat...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've never seen this before but it seems to be blowing up on Digg and
> other sites:http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/27/l-ron-hubbard-plagia.html
>
> Digg -http://digg.com/world_news/Scientology_not_invented_by_Hubbard

> If this is true about L Ron Hubbard, not only was Scientology made up,
> it wasn't even made up by him.
>
> Scientology was created by a Dr. Nordenholz?
>
> Hmmm.... was he also part of the Galactic Federation?

Hubbard put a lengthy list of attributions in the front of the
original edition of Science of Survival in 1951, acknowledging Freud
and Korzybski, amongst others, as having "laid the groundwork for His
momentous discoveries." Something like that, implying that they were
all certainly inferior to The Magnificent Ron, mankind's greatest
friend.

It may not be in later editions.

R. Hill

Feb 28, 2008, 9:48:25 AM2/28/08
On Feb 28, 3:38 am, "feministe" <femini...@free.fr> wrote:
> "Lafayette at The Beacon" <notechpleasewerebrit...@googlemail.com> a écrit
> dans le message denews:434b17f3-35be-4970...@60g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/browse_frm/thread/2327207cb73c6840/51c0447af63e9e59

http://tinyurl.com/2jal9a

beech...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2008, 9:59:44 AM2/28/08
There was a discussion of this over at Fark.com. Some pretty funny
posts there:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3430955

Skipper

Feb 28, 2008, 10:33:53 AM2/28/08
In article
<7e992a8b-f65a-434a...@u72g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
<beech...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's my favorite -

[TotalFark] 2008-02-28 12:19:09 AM

1934?

Great. Now they have an ancient sacred text.

The one key to legitimizing a religion.

Black Mamba

Feb 28, 2008, 4:19:12 PM2/28/08
<kennethno...@gmail.com> wrote in message

L. Ron Hubbard did not actually plagarize Scientology he more or less
invented it and then formed the Guardian Office to handle people that had
questions, the answers to which were not part of his religious scriptures.

That is all. You can see the trouble that this has gotten the church
into, is giving false answers to people.

Today the Guardian Office is called OSA and it is just as inept as its
predecessor.

Larry

Gregg Hagglund

Feb 29, 2008, 12:49:22 AM2/29/08

That is because it is run out of the same Dept: 20, and uses the same
TR, reading list, and sec checks etc of the GO. Some of the first OSA
manuals and Hat Check Lists still had Guardians Office in the lower
right or left corner of the interior pages.
The discovered wolf doesn't stop hunting sheep. He just changes
disguises.

GH SP7