minimalist living ??

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 1:22:22 AM7/19/04
how many outfits do you think one person can use?
I'm considering getting rid of ALL of my clothing but for 5 outfits. And those
5 outfits will be mix and match. But I'm wondering if I can really do this.
I'm also asking DH to do the same but for him 5 Business outfits for work and
then 3 for weekend and/or evening.
I'm not asking my kids to go in on this yet (1yr and 5 yr). Right now I'm just
thinking that the closets and dressers full of clothing that we never use,
can't fit into, or just find ugly are getting in my way.
I would also like to find other information about minimalist living ... if
anyone knows of any ... please let me know
~Kat

"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."

Kim Olson

Jul 19, 2004, 2:57:41 AM7/19/04
If you'd be comfortable with just five outfits, I don't see a problem, but
why are you asking DH to do the same? Chucking clothes you can't/aren't
using is one thing, but why so extreme? Just curious. If you have the
clothes already, they fit, you like them, and the real problem is just that
you can't find what you need because you do need to cull out what you can't
or won't wear, why not keep what you have that you can use and just get rid
of the rest?

There's another issue (actually two) I'm very familiar with, mostly from my
days in college when I could only afford a very minimal wardrobe a lot of
the time, and that is that with so few clothes, 1) what you have wears out
very, very fast, because you have to wash them so often, so you're buying
clothes more often anyway *if* you can afford them so as not to look like a
waif or bag lady, and 2) You're doing laundy a lot more frequently because
you don't have enough clothes to simply do it on a regular basis, say no
more than weekly. I realize that with a family the second consideration may
not really be an issue, but you may still find yourself having to do "in a
pinch" laundry because the family just has nothing to wear, and can't plan
for simply a more convenient time.

I've had two closets full of clothes for about the last decade or a bit
more, and I can absolutely attest to the fact that they last longer when you
have more, even when you account for the fact that they do get rotated and
therefore get washed less often. Frex, 10 pairs of jeans last a lot longer
than 3-4 years if you rotate them, even if you'd wear out 3-4 pair a year if
that were all you had.

--
Kim Olson
Writing and Editing Services

Tradition is the revolution of those who have gone before.
Revolution is the tradition of those yet to come.

From the BMW Museum in Munich, Germany
"Jarkat2002" <jarka...@aol.comyowza> wrote in message

Seraph

Jul 19, 2004, 3:09:01 AM7/19/04
I suppose this would be an easier concept if you lived in a climate where
the weather was consistant year round. As for me, I think 5 is a bit too
minimalist. Even minimalists, need some variety.

As for the young ones, I think it would be easier on the parent to have more
changes of clothing available at their ages. Otherwise, you will find
yourself washing clothes constantly. I think it is a trade off.

As they get older in their pre-teen/teen years, if their school does not
have uniforms, I think they will want to have more than 5 outfits available
to them.

Just one point of view...

--
Seraph
"Summertime and the living is easy!" Porgy & Bess

Barbara Mawdsley

Jul 19, 2004, 6:57:04 AM7/19/04
Jarkat2002 wrote:

I think that 10 outfits would be fairly miniman. You need to wear
something while you're doing the laundry. You probably need two changes
for dress and two changes for something a little more dressy than what
you work around the house in--or something to work around the house in
that is less dressy than what you wear to work. Your DH needs a few
more things too. Something to mow the lawn, something to wear while
watching TV. Somethiing cool to wear. Something warm to wear.
Something to wear to the gym (or to run in). Without seeing your
closet, I'd presume you have more clothes than you need. I'd pare it
down to where you can comfortably find things in your closet.

Barbara in CT

occupant

Jul 19, 2004, 7:24:44 AM7/19/04
> I would also like to find other information about minimalist living ... if
> anyone knows of any ... please let me know

Appreciate that minimalist living maybe okay for you but others you
assoicate with may not appreciate it or be embarrassed.

food, clothing, living conditions, vehicle/bicycle, no telvision, radio
or internet? How minimalist do you want to be?

lily

Jul 19, 2004, 10:30:31 AM7/19/04
I've only met one true minimalist in my life and she claims to have
only a few outfits but ends up swiping her daughter's clothes when she
needs to "look nice". She has no clutter what-so-ever, no nic-nacs,
no "stuff" and even her walls are all painted one color (ecru). She
laughs as she says her kids claim they "live in an *institution*". She
loves life that way and is truely a minimalist in everything. Do you
think you'd be happier that way, or could you just be so overwhelmed
by excess that you want it all to disappear without having to deal
with it? My Mother was (*is) a "stuff" person and when she went into
a nursing home she was so overwhelmed by having to move into one room
with only selective items that she begged me to take care of it all.
She couldn't even watch or talk about it. However, it wasn't long
before she started asking if I had kept this or that & could I bring
it back or get her another one.

A word of caution to you would be that if you are not a true
minimalist at heart, your desire for possessions will surely return.
Perhaps you could expunge all the items that don't fit or never get
worn and then put the rest, that you think you could live without if
you only kept 5 outfits, into a bag in the garage/basement/attic/etc
for a while to test whether or not you are really suited for that
drastic lifestyle change.

Just a thought.
"Lily"

Mintee

Jul 19, 2004, 10:37:36 AM7/19/04
jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002) wrote in message

IMHO, I think you just need to first cull out
everything everyone
*can't/won't* wear. Then re-evaluate.
You may be surprised by how much less you actually
have after culling.

My DDs & I did this about 4 years ago.
We donated enough clothing to decently clothe
5 teenage girls & 1 grown man. It emptied out
a whole lot of space, & filled 15 30 gallon
trash bags. We donated it all to a family
(friends) with 8 girls, in early August before the
school year began. Within a few hours, the
mom called me & said she wanted me to hear something.
She then held the phone out to the room. It was full
of their daughters squealing & rejoicing & arguing
over the clothes. :-) She told me about a month
later that she'd only had to buy a couple pairs of shoes
& some socks. Felt good to have saved them money.
(I've watched these girls wearing lots of those clothes
ever since. :-) )

Anyway, culling only, first, is my gentle suggestion.

Mintee

Jessica V.

Jul 19, 2004, 10:47:48 AM7/19/04

I'm thinking about this one...I live in the Northeastern US, it'll be 60
to 70 degrees colder than it is today in July a good part of the winter.
I couldn't do it with five outfits, six summer, six winter, a
cardigan, hooded sweatshirt, and blazer to dress up/down the pieces in
the spring/fall/winter. More for dressy occassions. A few evening
dresses/gowns to wear to corporate parties. What about travel? Be it
camping or a hotel stay of more days than the allotted amount of
clothing, it's espensive to have the laundry done and it's a pain to try
to find a place to do the laundry. Much depends on climate and lifestyle.

I'd get rid of the never use, doesn't fit and ugly first and then see if
I really felt like I still needed to limit myself so much.

Jessica

The Brown Family

Jul 19, 2004, 11:43:59 AM7/19/04
I think 5 outfits for every day might be okay, but I finally went out and
bought some clothes because I never had anything nice to wear. When I saw
nice, I mean some slacks and a nice top. I even bought a skirt too.

I wear jeans and T-shirts for every day, nice T-shirts and I probably have
about 5 that I wear consistently.

But think about this.... what if you get sick when you need to do laundry
and then you get well and have something going on you can't get to the
laundry.

I think Mintee is right, first go through and get rid of the stuff you are
not going to wear and don't want anymore and then see where you are at.

But I have to say, even though I hardly ever wear the slacks and sweater
sets I bought, it was so nice the other day when DH called and said a high
school friend was in town and he set up a lunch the next day with her. I
had something decent to wear.

As far as DH goes, he has way too many clothes hanging in the closet he
never wears and he really needs to go through them, just low on his priority
list. I probably should go through his closet when he is lying on the bed
relaxing, watching TV. I could stand there and pull things out and get some
decisions made.

Cheryl B.

kevinsmom

Jul 19, 2004, 10:46:11 AM7/19/04
"Kim Olson" <kim...@charter.netnospam> wrote in message

> waif or bag lady, and 2) You're doing laundy a lot more frequently because
> you don't have enough clothes to simply do it on a regular basis, say no
> more than weekly. I realize that with a family the second consideration
may
> not really be an issue, but you may still find yourself having to do "in a
> pinch" laundry because the family just has nothing to wear, and can't plan
> for simply a more convenient time.

I think that would happen more often if you had more clothes. A lot of
people have said they put off doing the laundry because there is so much and
have to do emergency laundry because everyone is out of something. With
little kids they tend to outgrow things before they wear them out and
someone who likes to be not completely out of fashion will want to replace
some clothes when they go out of style. I'm not one of those myself, I live
in slacks or shorts and T-shirts, but I don't have much closet space for
extra stuff.

--
You can't have everything.....where would you put it?
.

m...@privacy.net

Jul 19, 2004, 12:16:53 PM7/19/04
Ive always heard that Mother Theresa only had 3
outfits.

Not sure if that's true or not

Kim Olson

Jul 19, 2004, 1:48:32 PM7/19/04
Well, I don't have kids so I can't speak to that. I do know that my best
friend breathed a sigh of relief when they moved into a house so the kids
had more closet space and she could stock them up on clothes a bit more and
do laundry less often (at the time 7 and 5, so they were indeed still
growing fast). Myself, I'm not a style monger either. I like sweaters,
T-shirts and jeans, so for me having these two closets' full of clothes is a
nice investment. I haven't bought anything other than some sweats, long
underwear, socks & undies since summer 1992. :-)

--
Kim Olson
Writing and Editing Services
Email Kime...@charter.net for rates and information
Free newsletter, The Lazy Vegan
For more information, visit:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kimcof/lazyvegan.htm

Tradition is the revolution of those who have gone before.
Revolution is the tradition of those yet to come.

From the BMW Museum in Munich, Germany

"kevinsmom" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Medium Gnome

Jul 19, 2004, 1:58:40 PM7/19/04
I surely would not want to wear a sari all the time the way she did. Having
worn one often enough I can say that their practicality only goes so far.

Yvette

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Medium Gnome

Jul 19, 2004, 2:27:46 PM7/19/04

"lily" <dontmuckwi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I've only met one true minimalist in my life and she claims to have
> only a few outfits but ends up swiping her daughter's clothes when she
> needs to "look nice". She has no clutter what-so-ever, no nic-nacs,
> no "stuff" and even her walls are all painted one color (ecru). She
> laughs as she says her kids claim they "live in an *institution*". She
> loves life that way and is truely a minimalist in everything. Do you
> think you'd be happier that way, or could you just be so overwhelmed
> by excess that you want it all to disappear without having to deal
> with it? My Mother was (*is) a "stuff" person and when she went into
> a nursing home she was so overwhelmed by having to move into one room
> with only selective items that she begged me to take care of it all.
> She couldn't even watch or talk about it. However, it wasn't long
> before she started asking if I had kept this or that & could I bring
> it back or get her another one.
>
> A word of caution to you would be that if you are not a true
> minimalist at heart, your desire for possessions will surely return.
> Perhaps you could expunge all the items that don't fit or never get
> worn and then put the rest, that you think you could live without if
> you only kept 5 outfits, into a bag in the garage/basement/attic/etc
> for a while to test whether or not you are really suited for that
> drastic lifestyle change.
>
> Just a thought.
> "Lily"

It is a very good thought Lily.

Yvette

Medium Gnome

Jul 19, 2004, 2:41:16 PM7/19/04
> As far as DH goes, he has way too many clothes hanging in the closet he
> never wears and he really needs to go through them, just low on his
priority
> list. I probably should go through his closet when he is lying on the bed
> relaxing, watching TV. I could stand there and pull things out and get
some
> decisions made.
>
> Cheryl B.

Could you pack some in a box and see if he notices?

Yvette

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:24:29 PM7/19/04
>If you'd be comfortable with just five outfits, I don't see a problem, but
>why are you asking DH to do the same?

Because he is part of the household and the goal is to make our household run
more smoothly so that we can focus on matters that are important to us as a
family and to each person. The current way we are living is unacceptable to
both of us.

>Chucking clothes you can't/aren't
>using is one thing, but why so extreme? Just curious.

I would like a better life for myself, DH and kids. I'm working on how to do
that .. I'm still not exactly sure.

> why not keep what you have that you can use and just get rid
>of the rest?

I'm thinking about it .. but after i get rid of what i don't use I may have
less than 5 outfits to start with :)

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:25:21 PM7/19/04
>You can't have everything.....where would you put it?
>.

hehe ... I always want to tell you how much i love your sig line. :)

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:27:40 PM7/19/04
>I suppose this would be an easier concept if you lived in a climate where
>the weather was consistant year round. As for me, I think 5 is a bit too
>minimalist. Even minimalists, need some variety.

you have me thinking ... maybe 5 per season. W/ some overlap.

>Otherwise, you will find
>yourself washing clothes constantly.

I do that now :( and hate it :(

>As they get older in their pre-teen/teen years, if their school does not
>have uniforms, I think they will want to have more than 5 outfits available
>to them.

This year my older DD will have a uniform. There is a local cleaner that will
do them for a good price ... I'm considering that.

>Just one point of view...

Thanks .

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:28:37 PM7/19/04
>, I'd presume you have more clothes than you need.

we do ... ugh .. you have no idea ... i would say that 80% of what we have we
don't/cant use.

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:29:31 PM7/19/04
>Appreciate that minimalist living maybe okay for you but others you
>assoicate with may not appreciate it or be embarrassed.

This part wouldn't bother me at all ...

>food, clothing, living conditions, vehicle/bicycle, no telvision, radio
>or internet? How minimalist do you want to be?

I'm not sure yet .. but making a list :)

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:29:54 PM7/19/04
>Ive always heard that Mother Theresa only had 3
>outfits.
>
>Not sure if that's true or not

LOL .. i'll have to remember that :D

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:32:26 PM7/19/04
>She has no clutter what-so-ever, no nic-nacs,
>no "stuff" and even her walls are all painted one color (ecru).

This would be a dream come true for me :)
well... all but the ecru

>Do you
>think you'd be happier that way, or could you just be so overwhelmed
>by excess that you want it all to disappear without having to deal
>with it?

I'm sure that is a huge part of it.

>A word of caution to you would be that if you are not a true
>minimalist at heart, your desire for possessions will surely return.

I agree

>Perhaps you could expunge all the items that don't fit or never get
>worn and then put the rest, that you think you could live without if
>you only kept 5 outfits, into a bag in the garage/basement/attic/etc
>for a while to test whether or not you are really suited for that
>drastic lifestyle change.

great idea ... i have been thinking of it myself.
I have started doing this this afternoon.

>Just a thought.
>"Lily"

Thanks.

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:33:21 PM7/19/04
>IMHO, I think you just need to first cull out
>everything everyone
>*can't/won't* wear. Then re-evaluate.
>You may be surprised by how much less you actually
>have after culling.

Your right ... I think i'm feeling desperate :(

>Anyway, culling only, first, is my gentle suggestion.
>
>Mintee

Thanks.

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:35:45 PM7/19/04
> A few evening
>dresses/gowns to wear to corporate parties.

I don't think i have ever even owned an evening gown :(

> What about travel?

We went to Pittsburgh last wk ... to the zoo ... hehe ...

>I'd get rid of the never use, doesn't fit and ugly first and then see if
>I really felt like I still needed to limit myself so much.
>
>Jessica

your right here Jessica ... thanks.

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 3:36:38 PM7/19/04
>But I have to say, even though I hardly ever wear the slacks and sweater
>sets I bought, it was so nice the other day when DH called and said a high
>school friend was in town and he set up a lunch the next day with her. I
>had something decent to wear.

This is a great idea ... one outfit for dress ... the rest for every day.

barbie gee

Jul 19, 2004, 3:42:35 PM7/19/04
Jarkat2002 wrote:
>>If you'd be comfortable with just five outfits, I don't see a problem, but
>>why are you asking DH to do the same?
>

> Because he is part of the household and the goal is to make our household run
> more smoothly so that we can focus on matters that are important to us as a
> family and to each person. The current way we are living is unacceptable to
> both of us.

but, he is a grownup. you can ask him to reduce, but I don't know if
it's really fair to force him into the "5 outfits only" mold, *if* he's
unwilling. If he thinks it's a great idea, well, more power to you!

I'm thinking there are 7 days in a week. ARe you planning on re-wearing
some items more than once during the week, or will you be washing things
more than once a week?

Jarkat2002

Jul 19, 2004, 5:26:10 PM7/19/04
>but, he is a grownup. you can ask him to reduce, but I don't know if
>it's really fair to force him into the "5 outfits only" mold, *if* he's
>unwilling. If he thinks it's a great idea, well, more power to you!

So far ... he seems ok w/ it and quite supportive. I think he is just as tired
of not living like we would like to as I am.

>I'm thinking there are 7 days in a week. ARe you planning on re-wearing
>some items more than once during the week, or will you be washing things
>more than once a week?

Wash more than once a week.

The Brown Family

Jul 19, 2004, 9:21:10 PM7/19/04
Hahhaa, worth a try!

Cheryl B.

"Medium Gnome" <ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote in message

cozyhomelife

Jul 19, 2004, 10:02:49 PM7/19/04
I read somewhere that you take everything out of the closet and only what
comes back in because you wore it will get back into the wardrobe - YOU DO
HAVE TO ALLOW FOR THE SEASONS TO CHANGE, as you obviously will not wear
sweaters when it's 100 degrees. So, take everything out and see what you
different seasonal outfit. Like a blouse you think of as summer, might
actually have been worn with a summer suit. Then see what you wear in the
winter/fall/spring. Does this make sense, or am I rambling?
Also, the last time I went thru my closet, I found out that some of the
clothes I hadn't been wearing because I thought they didn't fit, actually
did!

"Jarkat2002" <jarka...@aol.comyowza> wrote in message
> how many outfits do you think one person can use?
> I'm considering getting rid of ALL of my clothing but for 5 outfits. And
those
> 5 outfits will be mix and match. But I'm wondering if I can really do
this.
> I'm also asking DH to do the same but for him 5 Business outfits for work
and
> then 3 for weekend and/or evening.
> I'm not asking my kids to go in on this yet (1yr and 5 yr). Right now I'm
just
> thinking that the closets and dressers full of clothing that we never use,
> can't fit into, or just find ugly are getting in my way.
> I would also like to find other information about minimalist living ... if
> anyone knows of any ... please let me know

Con

Jul 19, 2004, 9:48:00 PM7/19/04
kat,
Check out the "simple living network" website at
http://www.simpleliving.net/default.asp
tney list lots of resources and I really enjoy their "forums" - discussion
groups on various topics like housing, community, consumerism, organizing,
workplace issues, etc.

Con

Jessica V.

Jul 19, 2004, 11:24:25 PM7/19/04
Medium Gnome wrote:

I did that to my husband once.

He never noticed. I had bags of polos & tees all with the corporate
logo that I culled from his dresser. Ditto on socks. He was utterly
shocked when he announced that he needed new socks and I said no you
don't there are thirty pairs in a bag in the closet. He wanted to
reclaim them all. I allowed for the claiming of ten pairs. No need to
just replaced when one became torn or stained.

It worked pretty well.

Jessica

phiddlestyx

Jul 20, 2004, 3:48:30 AM7/20/04
jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002) wrote in message news:<20040719152740...@mb-m28.aol.com>...
> > > "The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese." <---

A question I would ask is what happens when one or more oufits shows
wear? How do you know when it's time that you _must_ replace at least
some of the clothes?

Will all of a season's worth begin to go at once, and how available
will new things be in stores, for that season?

So you will get rid of each and every item you replace? As soon as you
get the new one?

I guess I'm just wondering whether something worn that frequently will
last for several months and look acceptable (to you). I really don't
know, even though -- like so many of us -- I tend to wear the same few
things most of the time; but that's by preference, rather than
necessity.

And when I can't do the laundry, I wear the less-desirable things....
and buy more underwear. I've heard of hand-washing, but am not
favorably impressed by the notion. :)

Phid €

m...@privacy.net

Jul 20, 2004, 8:32:50 AM7/20/04
>>Ive always heard that Mother Theresa only had 3
>>outfits.
>>
>>Not sure if that's true or not
>
>LOL .. i'll have to remember that :D
>~Kat

Well the idea was that she led such a simple personal
life that she had enough free time to devote to God and
server here fellow man

I was the cat

Jul 20, 2004, 11:39:37 AM7/20/04

> >, I'd presume you have more clothes than you need.
>
> we do ... ugh .. you have no idea ... i would say that 80% of what we have
we
> don't/cant use.

That's about normal for the US from what I've read--and the 20% you do use
is usually in the front of the closet--look to the back of the closet for
the stuff you need to toss.

Brenda

I was the cat

Jul 20, 2004, 11:53:40 AM7/20/04

"phiddlestyx" <jul...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message

> A question I would ask is what happens when one or more oufits shows
> wear?

You buy new ones and THROW OUT the ones you've replaced--or use them for
cleaning rags.

>How do you know when it's time that you _must_ replace at least
> some of the clothes?

When they show wear or no longer fit. If you're well off--when they are out
of style--or you've decided to adopt a new personal style.

> Will all of a season's worth begin to go at once,

Possibly--but if you've limited yourself to 10 or less outfits--using mix
and match it could be more--it wouldn't cost that much to replace unless you
pay too much for your clothes in the first place. The crap in the designer
shops is just as likely to be made in a third world country as the stuff in
a department store--or even Walmarts.

>and how available
> will new things be in stores, for that season?

Trust me--there will always be the newest latest fashions in the stores.

> So you will get rid of each and every item you replace? As soon as you
> get the new one?

BINGO!

> I guess I'm just wondering whether something worn that frequently will
> last for several months and look acceptable (to you).

If you're careful to buy good material--poor workmanship can be repaired as
seams that are chain stitched fall out, buttons fall off, etc.

>I really don't
> know, even though -- like so many of us -- I tend to wear the same few
> things most of the time; but that's by preference, rather than
> necessity.

Doesn't matter if it's by preference or necessity--it you only wear the same
few things--why have more? So you can fill up a closet?

> And when I can't do the laundry, I wear the less-desirable things....
> and buy more underwear. I've heard of hand-washing, but am not
> favorably impressed by the notion. :)

Buying new just because you didn't do the laundry is one way people get too
much. Doing a little hand laundering would save you money, space and time
decluttering.

Brenda

> Phid ?

val189

Jul 20, 2004, 1:28:47 PM7/20/04
jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002) wrote in message news:<20040719012222...@mb-m27.aol.com>...

> how many outfits do you think one person can use?

I knew a gal who could go 3 months without a repeat - but I'm sure
this is not what you really meant. : ))

Before you toss stuff, test the plan. Pick out the 5 outfits you
think you can get by with. Live for one month on this stuff - the
pitfalls of your system should soon become apparent. Maybe you'd want
to up it to 6, 7, 8....

Five days worth of clothes doesn't give ya much leeway. I think you'll
feel a bit hamstrung by the need to do laundry on a tight schedule.
What if illness or an emergency trip out of town arises?

Maybe what you need to do is run a frequency o fuse test for a month
or two, then give away all superfluous stuff. However, keep at least
one summer and winter choice for funerals, weddings, New Year's Eve,
etc.

these thoughts from one who has clothes going back decades and buys
very little now. good thing my weight never changes. That's ano.
consideration too.

> I'm considering getting rid of ALL of my clothing but for 5 outfits. And those
> 5 outfits will be mix and match. But I'm wondering if I can really do this.
> I'm also asking DH to do the same but for him 5 Business outfits for work and
> then 3 for weekend and/or evening.
> I'm not asking my kids to go in on this yet (1yr and 5 yr). Right now I'm just
> thinking that the closets and dressers full of clothing that we never use,
> can't fit into, or just find ugly are getting in my way.
> I would also like to find other information about minimalist living ... if
> anyone knows of any ... please let me know

I was the cat

Jul 20, 2004, 5:11:22 PM7/20/04
How many outfits any one person needs really depends on their lifestyle.
It's probably a safe bet that you need less than you presently have. I would
start with getting rid of anything you never wear and never will wear--as I
said before--check the back of the closet.

About minimalist living--I have chosen to try simpler living--as opposed to
just minimizing--although they are probably similiar.

I got to thinking about how complicated our lives have become--as compared
to the early 1950's. We have so many "conveniences"--gadgets--these days
that are supposed to make life easier--but really just create clutter and
don't really make things easier--or if they do--it's not *that* much easier
to warrant taking up extra space and extra time to clean & care for it. I'm
not totally against modern conveniences--but I think we need to look at what
we have and how we live--and whether or not what we have is enhancing our
lives or making it more complicated. In some ways our lives are like
computers. A computer that is set up for a gamer would be wasted on me but a
gamer would need to have all of the resources, peripherals and software that
would be needed for playing games on a computer.

We don't do a lot of fancy cooking--so I see no need for us to own a food
processor, a blender, and an egg beater. I can accomplish those things with
the simple utensils we already own. We have knives, a hand grater and a
simple electric egg beater--all easy to store out of sight--all easy to
use--all easy to clean--simpler--less complicated--less counter top
clutter--less expensive. Now--someone who cooks often or cooks for a hobby
might feel they need all of those gadgets--we don't. You have to fit your
possessions to your individual life style.

For me--complicated=stress. I'm finding the more simple I can make my
life--the less stressful it is. Simpler also usually results in less
cluttered and less expensive.

Brenda

"Jarkat2002" <jarka...@aol.comyowza> wrote in message

> how many outfits do you think one person can use?

m...@privacy.net

Jul 20, 2004, 5:34:27 PM7/20/04
>We have so many "conveniences"--gadgets--these days
>that are supposed to make life easier--but really just create clutter and
>don't really make things easier--or if they do--it's not *that* much easier
>to warrant taking up extra space and extra time to clean & care for it.

PRECISELY!!

Medium Gnome

Jul 20, 2004, 6:03:30 PM7/20/04
Thanks for jogging my memory about that stupid bread slicer guide I have.
It wiggles and wobbles and doesn't help me slice home made bread or bagels
any easier than if I'd just used my knife. Whenever I find my two good
knives I'll bake bread again. This is our 46th day in our new home and they
have yet to turn up.

I have a small - med. size food processor. Hardly use it but got it for MIL
to use for things not suited for a blender. What will I ever use it for?
Is it time to get out the cook book that came with it to see? I use my
counter top Kitchen Aid mixer for dough and batter so what can I use the
food processor for? Who uses them and for what? I think I need some idea.

Yvette

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Tracy

Jul 20, 2004, 6:07:09 PM7/20/04
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:03:30 GMT, "Medium Gnome"
<ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote:

>Thanks for jogging my memory about that stupid bread slicer guide I have.
>It wiggles and wobbles and doesn't help me slice home made bread or bagels
>any easier than if I'd just used my knife. Whenever I find my two good
>knives I'll bake bread again. This is our 46th day in our new home and they
>have yet to turn up.
>
>I have a small - med. size food processor. Hardly use it but got it for MIL
>to use for things not suited for a blender. What will I ever use it for?
>Is it time to get out the cook book that came with it to see? I use my
>counter top Kitchen Aid mixer for dough and batter so what can I use the
>food processor for? Who uses them and for what? I think I need some idea.
>
>Yvette

Well, I just took out my bread machine after five (ack?) years, and
made some bread with it. I don't much like my bread slicing guide,
either. Makes the slices too thick. My friend used to put a circular
Rubbermaid container lid on the bottom of the loaf to make the slices
a little thinner. I'm going to try that.

I LUST after a Kitchen Aid countertop mixer. I so can't wait for a
decent kitchen.

Tracy (thinking of all the sweet trouble she could get into with one
of those countertop babies...)
Automatic reply-to address is a spam catcher.
Instead, use thock at umr dot edu

Tracy

Jul 20, 2004, 6:08:47 PM7/20/04
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:03:30 GMT, "Medium Gnome"
<ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote:

>Thanks for jogging my memory about that stupid bread slicer guide I have.
>It wiggles and wobbles and doesn't help me slice home made bread or bagels
>any easier than if I'd just used my knife. Whenever I find my two good
>knives I'll bake bread again. This is our 46th day in our new home and they
>have yet to turn up.
>
>I have a small - med. size food processor. Hardly use it but got it for MIL
>to use for things not suited for a blender. What will I ever use it for?
>Is it time to get out the cook book that came with it to see? I use my
>counter top Kitchen Aid mixer for dough and batter so what can I use the
>food processor for? Who uses them and for what? I think I need some idea.
>
>Yvette

Yvette,

Do you find that your homemade bread is not as good for sandwiches as
is store-bought? Do you use a bread machine, or your own muscles? I
find that my bread, bread-machine bread, is too crumbly and breaks up
too easily to be good for sandwiches. If you don't have that problem,
what do you do to not have that problem?

Tracy

Medium Gnome

Jul 20, 2004, 6:27:52 PM7/20/04

> either. Makes the slices too thick. My friend used to put a circular
> Rubbermaid container lid on the bottom of the loaf to make the slices
> a little thinner. I'm going to try that.

> Tracy (thinking of all the sweet trouble she could get into with one

A lid for a guide sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Yvette

Medium Gnome

Jul 20, 2004, 6:35:05 PM7/20/04
> Yvette,
>
> Do you find that your homemade bread is not as good for sandwiches as
> is store-bought? Do you use a bread machine, or your own muscles? I
> find that my bread, bread-machine bread, is too crumbly and breaks up
> too easily to be good for sandwiches. If you don't have that problem,
> what do you do to not have that problem?
>
> Tracy
> Automatic reply-to address is a spam catcher.
> Instead, use thock at umr dot edu

Had a bread maker but, especially near the end, the bread was a hit and miss
thing. Sometimes I got a nice loaf but sometimes I wouldn't. Home made
bread is always dryer the next day and makes for crumbly sandwiches.

Yvette

kevinsmom

Jul 20, 2004, 6:34:05 PM7/20/04

> I have a small - med. size food processor. Hardly use it but got it for
MIL
> to use for things not suited for a blender. What will I ever use it for?
> Is it time to get out the cook book that came with it to see? I use my
> counter top Kitchen Aid mixer for dough and batter so what can I use the
> food processor for? Who uses them and for what? I think I need some
idea.

MIL uses a food processor to make pie crusts. I've seen her use it to chop
cabbage but I think it chops it too small for cole slaw.

--
You can't have everything.....where would you put it?

Carolyn

Jul 20, 2004, 6:54:59 PM7/20/04
"I was the cat" wrote (after snippage):

> We have so many "conveniences"--gadgets--these days
> that are supposed to make life easier--but really just create clutter and
> don't really make things easier--or if they do--it's not *that* much
easier
> to warrant taking up extra space and extra time to clean & care for it.
> Brenda

Thank you, thank you Brenda! I don't know why I needed this confirmation,
but after years of taking up valuable real estate the stupid little electric
chopper is out of the cupboard and in the trash. We neither loved it nor
used it, and it certainly wasn't serving family needs!

Carolyn in Harlingen, Texas

Kim Olson

Jul 20, 2004, 7:29:02 PM7/20/04
I have done the hit and miss bit with the gadget thing. Loved my crockpot so
much I eventually doubled it to having two, for example, so I could
cook/freeze more at a time, and will never again do without a bread or
soymilk maker, *but* wish I hadn't wasted a gift certificate on an electric
wok one Christmas; I found it tedious to clean and prefer my frying pan for
that reason, so out it went eventually. Same with a food dehydrator (nasty,
messy business). OTOH, I also have two blenders; actually, it's one blender
motor and two blender jars (mostly for making kitty food and need the extra
to get to a week's DW load), with the other blender motor sitting in the
pantry for when the first motor gives out. Also indispensible.

My tiny kitchen counters are crowded with gadgets, but they do absolutely
get used. The declutter factor has truly made me ruthless in getting rid of
those that don't get used, over the last few years, and that's a good thing.

--
Kim Olson
Writing and Editing Services
Email Kime...@charter.net for rates and information
Free newsletter, The Lazy Vegan
For more information, visit:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kimcof/lazyvegan.htm

Tradition is the revolution of those who have gone before.
Revolution is the tradition of those yet to come.

From the BMW Museum in Munich, Germany
"I was the cat" <I_was_the_c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jarkat2002

Jul 20, 2004, 7:39:19 PM7/20/04
>For me--complicated=stress. I'm finding the more simple I can make my
>life--the less stressful it is. Simpler also usually results in less
>cluttered and less expensive.
>
>Brenda

Thank you Brenda for this post ... I agree w/ it 100% ... and know exactly what
you mean.
I'm tired of living the life I have made for myself... it's time for a change.

Jarkat2002

Jul 20, 2004, 7:41:26 PM7/20/04
>Do you find that your homemade bread is not as good for sandwiches as
>is store-bought? Do you use a bread machine, or your own muscles? I
>find that my bread, bread-machine bread, is too crumbly and breaks up
>too easily to be good for sandwiches. If you don't have that problem,
>what do you do to not have that problem?
>
>Tracy

I have this issue w/ the bread machine as well ... I really would just do it by
hand.

Jarkat2002

Jul 20, 2004, 7:43:53 PM7/20/04
>A question I would ask is what happens when one or more oufits shows
>wear?

I would toss it.

> How do you know when it's time that you _must_ replace at least
>some of the clothes?

When they look bad.

>Will all of a season's worth begin to go at once, and how available
>will new things be in stores, for that season?

I don't understand what your asking here?

>So you will get rid of each and every item you replace? As soon as you
>get the new one?

exactly.

Tracy

Jul 20, 2004, 7:42:10 PM7/20/04

Ok, thanks.

Tracy

Jul 20, 2004, 7:42:35 PM7/20/04
On 20 Jul 2004 23:41:26 GMT, jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002)
wrote:

>>Do you find that your homemade bread is not as good for sandwiches as
>>is store-bought? Do you use a bread machine, or your own muscles? I
>>find that my bread, bread-machine bread, is too crumbly and breaks up
>>too easily to be good for sandwiches. If you don't have that problem,
>>what do you do to not have that problem?
>>
>>Tracy
>
>I have this issue w/ the bread machine as well ... I really would just do it by
>hand.
>
>~Kat

So, you find that handmade bread doesn't crumble as much?

Seraph

Jarkat2002

Jul 20, 2004, 8:26:34 PM7/20/04
>So, you find that handmade bread doesn't crumble as much?
>
>Tracy

yes, but I don't make white bread. I use whole grains, nuts, seeds and what
ever else I'm in the mood to throw in there :)
There is a bread making NG .. just do a search for Bread ... I'm sure you will
find it if your interested.

Tracy

Jul 20, 2004, 8:30:56 PM7/20/04
On 21 Jul 2004 00:26:34 GMT, jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002)
wrote:

>>So, you find that handmade bread doesn't crumble as much?
>>
>>Tracy
>
>yes, but I don't make white bread. I use whole grains, nuts, seeds and what
>ever else I'm in the mood to throw in there :)
>There is a bread making NG .. just do a search for Bread ... I'm sure you will
>find it if your interested.
>~Kat

Yeah, I'm not much for white bread. I like whole grains.

Thanks for the bread ng suggestion. I may look for it later, when I'm
not quite so busy...lol.

Jarkat2002

Jul 20, 2004, 8:44:28 PM7/20/04
>Thanks for the bread ng suggestion. I may look for it later, when I'm
>not quite so busy...lol.
>
>Tracy

I forgot to suggest ... that if you use a bread w/ egg ... it won't be as hard.

Tracy

Jul 20, 2004, 9:03:59 PM7/20/04
On 21 Jul 2004 00:44:28 GMT, jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002)
wrote:

>>Thanks for the bread ng suggestion. I may look for it later, when I'm
>>not quite so busy...lol.
>>
>>Tracy
>
>I forgot to suggest ... that if you use a bread w/ egg ... it won't be as hard.
>
>~Kat

Oh, cool. I'll have to try that sometime.

occupant

Jul 20, 2004, 10:08:02 PM7/20/04
Medium Gnome wrote:
> An electric meat slicer costs about 30 bucks and cuts pefect everything including bread.

Jalynne

Jul 20, 2004, 10:52:24 PM7/20/04
I make bread every other day. I use a regular bread recipe, one you'd use if
kneading by hand, set my machine to manual, let it do the kneading for me, since I
physically can't do it, and then when the machine is done, I transfer the dough to a
regular bread pan and bake it in the oven. It comes out much more consistently this
way.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Jarkat2002" <jarka...@aol.comyowza> wrote in message

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jul 20, 2004, 11:29:27 PM7/20/04
My usual everyday ensemble is a pair of casual pants and a casual top.
I basically wear the exact same type of pants all the time - a comfy
black cotton knit pant which I have a few pairs of - with one of my tees
or shirts. When the pant is classic in style and neutral in color like
jeans or my black pants, people don't notice that you wear them all the
time, and the different tops add color and variety. Works for me :)

Diva

Medium Gnome

Jul 21, 2004, 12:38:05 AM7/21/04
Hmmmm.. I must give that some thought the next time I use my regular knife
on the bread.

Yvette

"occupant" <electronicm...@telust.net> wrote in message

phiddlestyx

Jul 21, 2004, 2:26:24 AM7/21/04
"I was the cat" <I_was_the_c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2m4tgjF...@uni-berlin.de>...
> "phiddlestyx" <jul...@volcanomail.com> wrote in message

> > A question I would ask is what happens when one or more oufits shows
> > wear?
>
> You buy new ones and THROW OUT the ones you've replaced--or use them for
> cleaning rags.

> >How do you know when it's time that you _must_ replace at least
> > some of the clothes?
>
> When they show wear or no longer fit. If you're well off--when they are out
> of style--or you've decided to adopt a new personal style.

> > Will all of a season's worth begin to go at once,
>
> Possibly--but if you've limited yourself to 10 or less outfits--using mix
> and match it could be more--it wouldn't cost that much to replace unless you
> pay too much for your clothes in the first place. The crap in the designer
> shops is just as likely to be made in a third world country as the stuff in
> a department store--or even Walmarts.

> >and how available
> > will new things be in stores, for that season?
>
> Trust me--there will always be the newest latest fashions in the stores.

> > So you will get rid of each and every item you replace? As soon as you
> > get the new one?
>
> BINGO!
>
> > I guess I'm just wondering whether something worn that frequently will
> > last for several months and look acceptable (to you).
>
> If you're careful to buy good material--poor workmanship can be repaired as
> seams that are chain stitched fall out, buttons fall off, etc.
>
> >I really don't
> > know, even though -- like so many of us -- I tend to wear the same few
> > things most of the time; but that's by preference, rather than
> > necessity.
>
> Doesn't matter if it's by preference or necessity--it you only wear the same
> few things--why have more? So you can fill up a closet?
>
> > And when I can't do the laundry, I wear the less-desirable things....
> > and buy more underwear. I've heard of hand-washing, but am not
> > favorably impressed by the notion. :)
>
> Buying new just because you didn't do the laundry is one way people get too
> much. Doing a little hand laundering would save you money, space and time
> decluttering.
>
> Brenda

<--

Right now I'm working to cull my own overabundance of clothing, most
of it years old and the wrong size(s), so this thread is a good one to
ponder over as far as which ideas would work for me. There are SO many
things, that the idea of keeping only a relative few items is
overwhelming, really.

My children (and their DF) are on their own and when I travel, usually
for weeks at a time, one thing I look forward to when returning home,
is having some flexibility around when I "must" do laundry. With no
one else needing to use the washer, there at least is no conflict with
its availability, nobody doing an "emergency wash," etc.

One of the more interesting points in this thread is the individuality
of people's needs: their style of dress, climate, whether they do
others' laundry...

When I can, I wear clothes that are neither in nor out of style, and
even for colder weather they can be layered -- that's making it more
complicated to weed things out, at least in my subjective view.

I like to cook, but find choosing clothes a nuisance. It's easier to
determine what is necessary for the entire kitchen, than for the
bedroom closets.

Phid €

phiddlestyx

Jul 21, 2004, 2:32:10 AM7/21/04

m...@privacy.net

Jul 21, 2004, 8:55:43 AM7/21/04
>My tiny kitchen counters are crowded with gadgets, but they do absolutely
>get used. The declutter factor has truly made me ruthless in getting rid of
>those that don't get used, over the last few years, and that's a good thing.

Could someone be so kind as to come up with a list of
kitchen gadgets that ARE useful and worth having?

kevinsmom

Jul 21, 2004, 9:47:20 AM7/21/04
<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

That's probably a pretty individual thing. If you use fresh garlic you may
like having a garlic press, if you use freeze dried garlic it would just be
clutter.
I use a kitchen aid stand mixer with a grinder, small electric food chopper,
counter top electric grill, blender, deep fryer, and toaster quite a bit.
DH recently bought a vacuum food sealer that I've been using quite a bit. I
also use a manual can opener, pastry blender, tongs, pancake turner, slotted
turner, whisk, ladle, spatula, pizza wheel, wooden spoon, and scissors
pretty often.

Mintee

Jul 21, 2004, 10:27:16 AM7/21/04
"Medium Gnome"
> <ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote:

> >I have a small - med. size food processor. Hardly use it but got it for MIL
> >to use for things not suited for a blender. What will I ever use it for?
> >Is it time to get out the cook book that came with it to see? I use my
> >counter top Kitchen Aid mixer for dough and batter so what can I use the
> >food processor for? Who uses them and for what? I think I need some idea.
> >
> >Yvette

I use mine for chopping/dicing/slicing all the time.
I dislike hand chopping, it is just so tedious.
For me, my food processor cuts down dramatically
on food prep time. It is so fast.

I also have a Salad Shooter which has been great to use,
It is starting to wear out & when it goes I'll get another.
I've had it for 10 years.

Mintee, my Braun medium processor is 15 years old now
& still doing valiant service.

Medium Gnome

Jul 21, 2004, 1:09:39 PM7/21/04

"Mintee" <trusty...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Perhaps I should start practicing with it. I keep it a bottom cupboard out
of sight. This also keeps it out of mind too I suppose.
I think I'll give it a go. Thanks Mintee.

Yvette

I was the cat

Jul 21, 2004, 2:44:21 PM7/21/04

"Medium Gnome" <ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote in message

I would figure I've lived without it this long--must be I don't need it--but
that is just me. We've got such a small kitchen and are not gourmands--so
simple works for us in the kitchen.

On the other hand--I'm starting to think I need a DVD burner and player--how
simple is that going to make my life?--probably would complicate it to a
point--but the pleasure I probably would get from being able to reclaim the
shelf space my video collection now takes up--and having them stored in a
longer lasting format--might be worth it. I seem to still enjoy watching the
videos I saved from the last time I culled--and my tastes don't seem to
change--so that stuff will be harder and harder to replace as the years go
by--and impossible to replace in a VHS format.....but then I keep
thinking-actually I know--that something "better" than the current DVDs will
come along in the not too distant future--because our economy is based on
our culture of consumerism--it's the American Way :(

Brenda

I was the cat

Jul 21, 2004, 3:30:41 PM7/21/04

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

As far as electric gadgets we have:

microwave on a counter--used mostly for re-heating leftovers
coffee maker on a counter (only Mom drinks coffee--and only before 2 p.m.)
can opener that leaves smooth edges (for Mom to use--arthritis makes it
impossible for her to use a hand opener)
toaster on a counter
egg beater on a shelf in our pantry/cupboard
waffle iron on top of the fridge--it can also be a grill but we don't use it
for that

non electric on the walls we have:

1. pans on 2 walls around stove--cast iron on one wall--stainless steel on
the other (pots are in a lower cupboard, cake & pie pans, cookie sheets, and
broiler pan are in drawer in bottom of stove. Glass baking dishes are on
cupboard shelves.
2. wooden tongs by the toaster to fish English muffins out with
3. plastic gadget shaped like a J that Mom uses to open pet food cans that
have the pull tab
4. handled collander on a hook by the sink
5. 2 pot holders and 2 oven mitts on hooks

We have one drawer that is about a third full that holds metal and rubber
spatulas, one large serrated knife, one large non-serrated knife, tea
strainer, hand egg beater (which I use more than the electric one), funnel,
ice cream scoop, big soup ladle and grater.

We could probably do with a few less metal spatulas. We could also probably
get rid of the stainless steel frying pan. We only use the sauce pans in the
stainless steel set. I'll have to talk that over with Mom since she cooks
sometimes.

We cook most dinners from scratch--but they're simple--a protein, a starch
and a vegetable--unless it's a casserole that contains all three--rarely
have dessert. We both have a yogurt for lunch--Mom has coffee--I have soy
milk. Mom's breakfast is an English muffin with orange marmalade, coffee and
cranberry juice. I have Instant Breakfast and cranberry juice. That's why we
don't need much.

Also--to free up cupboard space we keep all canned goods, paper products,
and cleaners on wall mounted shelves in the garage, kitty litter, extra
bottled water, extra cases of canned pet food are on the floor under the
shelves--just a step outside the kitchen door that leads to the garage. We
just have one of those small cabin kitchens--looks like it was made for a
boat--not a house--but it only takes about 5 minutes to scrub the floor. :)

Brenda

Sassy Rebel Pat

Jul 21, 2004, 3:52:08 PM7/21/04
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:03:30 GMT, "Medium Gnome" wrote:

>Thanks for jogging my memory about that stupid bread slicer guide I have.
>It wiggles and wobbles and doesn't help me slice home made bread or bagels
>any easier than if I'd just used my knife.

I just freecycled mine a few weeks ago. Never used the thing and it
was gathering dust in a cupboard.

> what can I use the
>food processor for? Who uses them and for what?

Mine sat on top of a shelf gathering dust for years. When I finally
took it down to see if I could make use of it or freecycle it, it
didn't work. So I trashed it (via the recycling trash).

DivaM...@webtv.net

Jul 22, 2004, 1:04:49 AM7/22/04
>Could someone be so kind as to come
> up with a list of kitchen gadgets that
> ARE useful and worth having?

As was mentioned earlier, each person has to determine which gadgets are
indispensible to them and the way they cook, and which ones are just
clutter.

A few months ago, we did a big purge of kitchen stuff, and with our tiny
kitchen, I was ruthless about tossing out gadgets that weren't earning
the space they took up. Things like a bread machine, a Foreman-style
grill, an old electric skillet, a toaster oven and a small chopper/food
processor went out the door. What stayed included:

* Microwave.

* Coffee maker.

* Toaster.

* Crock pot.

* Stick blender. No more big, bulky, hard-to-clean regular blender for
me!

* Handheld can opener. Replaced the electric one I had, saves valuable
counter space.

* Full-size food processor. The tiny one didn't shred/chop enough to
make it worth the hassle.

* Hot air popcorn popper.

* 1 quart Salton yogurt maker.

Diva

Kim Olson

Jul 22, 2004, 1:44:55 AM7/22/04
For me:

Bread machine
Soymilk maker
Coffee maker
Extra coffee maker out in the summer to make iced tea (make tea as you would
coffee, cool, and fridge), but put away in pantry in winter
Blender with two jars, to get through the week
Two crockpots (these live under the microwave on the cart shelf when not in
use)
Toaster oven
Yogurt maker (new this year and wonderful)
Ice cream maker (really only used in summer)

--
Kim Olson
Writing and Editing Services
Email Kime...@charter.net for rates and information
Free newsletter, The Lazy Vegan
For more information, visit:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kimcof/lazyvegan.htm

Tradition is the revolution of those who have gone before.
Revolution is the tradition of those yet to come.

From the BMW Museum in Munich, Germany

m...@privacy.net

Jul 22, 2004, 8:24:09 AM7/22/04
> Things like a bread machine, a Foreman-style
>grill, an old electric skillet, a toaster oven and a small chopper/food
>processor went out the door

Its funny how I keep seeing bread makers as one of the
appliances that people are NOT using after they get
them.

Is this true? Is a bread maker not such a good
investment after all?

m...@privacy.net

Jul 22, 2004, 8:24:43 AM7/22/04
>* Stick blender. No more big, bulky, hard-to-clean regular blender for
>me!

Really?

You like a stick blender better huh?

Jarkat2002

Jul 22, 2004, 8:38:14 AM7/22/04
>Its funny how I keep seeing bread makers as one of the
>appliances that people are NOT using after they get
>them.
>
>Is this true? Is a bread maker not such a good
>investment after all?

I have one ... in the closet, in the box, waiting to be used again. It was
almost brand new when it was given to me and the person that gave it to me had
it given to them by someone that used it a few times. We each used it only a
few times. It's a good one .. I think the orginal owner paid around $150 for
it.
I hope that person number 4 can use it ... if not, I may just end up getting
it back after it makes the rounds of my friends and family hehe

The Brown Family

Jul 22, 2004, 10:40:02 AM7/22/04
I killed my bread machine, I used it so much.

I do need a new mixer though, mashed potatoes by hand last night, what a
pain...... stick blender huh?

Cheryl B.

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

m...@privacy.net

Jul 22, 2004, 10:54:29 AM7/22/04
>I have one ... in the closet, in the box, waiting to be used again. It was
>almost brand new when it was given to me and the person that gave it to me had
>it given to them by someone that used it a few times. We each used it only a
>few times. It's a good one .. I think the orginal owner paid around $150 for
>it.
>I hope that person number 4 can use it ... if not, I may just end up getting
>it back after it makes the rounds of my friends and family hehe

Id give one a try..... if I had the chance

But Im not gonna buy one just to "try".

Jalynne

Jul 22, 2004, 11:20:53 AM7/22/04
It really depends on the person, I think. We go through spurts when we don't use
ours, but for the most part we use it 3-4 times a week. I have arthritis, so I can't
knead...and I love fresh baked bread and rolls. I can't say we use the machine to
bake with very often, but we definitely use it to mix the bread. If it hadn't been a
gift, I probably would have opted for a Kitchen Aid mixer instead, one with a bread
hook, etc.

--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Mintee

Jul 22, 2004, 9:20:57 PM7/22/04
jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002) wrote in message .

> >Its funny how I keep seeing bread makers as one of the
> >appliances that people are NOT using after they get
> >them.
> >
> >Is this true? Is a bread maker not such a good
> >investment after all?

Depends. I use mine all the time in the winter,
not as often in summer. It makes decent bread
& saves me much hassle.
Also money on commercial bread.

My breadmaker is 5 years old & has paid for itself
many times over. It's a Regal Kitchen-Pro.
When it dies I'll get another. YMMV.

Mintee, who does a lot of hot fresh oat bread with it

Mintee

Jul 22, 2004, 9:21:35 PM7/22/04
jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002) wrote in message .
> >Its funny how I keep seeing bread makers as one of the
> >appliances that people are NOT using after they get
> >them.
> >
> >Is this true? Is a bread maker not such a good
> >investment after all?

Depends. I use mine all the time in the winter,

Kim Olson

Jul 23, 2004, 1:47:32 AM7/23/04
I think it depends. Myself, I love good, fresh, homemade whole-grain bread,
but I won't pay an arm and a leg for it (my price is about $0.25 a loaf),
and before I got a bread maker, I very rarely had bread because I hated
making it. I just love mine; don't know what I'd do without it.. It's
indispensible for me, but YMMV.

--
Kim Olson
Writing and Editing Services
Email Kime...@charter.net for rates and information
Free newsletter, The Lazy Vegan
For more information, visit:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kimcof/lazyvegan.htm

Tradition is the revolution of those who have gone before.
Revolution is the tradition of those yet to come.

From the BMW Museum in Munich, Germany

rich

Jul 24, 2004, 8:08:19 PM7/24/04
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:03:30 GMT, "Medium Gnome"
<ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote:

>I have a small - med. size food processor. Hardly use it but got it for MIL
>to use for things not suited for a blender. What will I ever use it for?
>Is it time to get out the cook book that came with it to see? I use my

>counter top Kitchen Aid mixer for dough and batter so what can I use the

>food processor for? Who uses them and for what? I think I need some idea.
>
>Yvette

I couldn't imagine not having a food processor, I use it
loads. I am on my second machine, and have had to buy a
replacement bowl for this one and I noticed that the main
blade is starting to crack now. I use it more than the
stand mixer, blender or stick blender.

I use it to:

Make pastry - blade to crumb the fat and flour then add
water or egg and blitz with same blade till it forms a dough
ball.

Crumble (crisp) toppings for sweat and savoury dishes.

Slice potatoes for gratins.

Make guacamole - blitz a fresh chili, add avocado, blitz,
add fresh lime juice.

Make tapenade topping for roast fish - blitz chili & garlic,
add olives, capers, anchovies, herbs, olive oil and lemon
juice and blitz again.

Chop onions/carrots/celery for a bulk cooking session.

Grate (shred) cheese in bulk.

Rich
--
album at http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/oberon_msnd

correct to the ususal to mail 654richarc at bigfoot com

rich

Jul 24, 2004, 8:11:26 PM7/24/04
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:47:20 -0500, "kevinsmom"
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>> Could someone be so kind as to come up with a list of
>> kitchen gadgets that ARE useful and worth having?

>That's probably a pretty individual thing. If you use fresh garlic you may
>like having a garlic press, if you use freeze dried garlic it would just be
>clutter.

I love fresh garlic but hate every garlic press I have
owned: paint peeled off one into food, none crushed it well
and the handle broke on the current one. I prefer to chop
garlic my hand or in the food processor depending on what I
am making, or crush it in a pestle and mortar or with the
flat of a knife.

Helen Page

Jul 24, 2004, 8:41:31 PM7/24/04
rich <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I couldn't imagine not having a food processor, I use it
> loads. I am on my second machine, and have had to buy a
> replacement bowl for this one and I noticed that the main
> blade is starting to crack now. I use it more than the
> stand mixer, blender or stick blender.
>
> I use it to:

<snip yummy stuff>

*drool* Hey Rich, may I introduce you to my kitchen...? *hides ropes behind
back and looks innocent*

Seraph

Jul 24, 2004, 8:52:54 PM7/24/04
Welcome back, Rich. Now, what is this about you preparing 'sweaty' dishes?

--
"rich" <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Crumble (crisp) toppings for sweat and savoury dishes.

com

I was the cat

Jul 25, 2004, 2:55:46 AM7/25/04

> I love fresh garlic but hate every garlic press I have
> owned: paint peeled off one into food, none crushed it well
> and the handle broke on the current one. I prefer to chop
> garlic my hand or in the food processor depending on what I
> am making, or crush it in a pestle and mortar or with the
> flat of a knife.
>
> Rich

If I have to chop garlic--I use a knife--If I have to press a garlic
clove--I do it between 2 table spoons.

Brenda

rich

Jul 25, 2004, 6:06:15 AM7/25/04
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:52:54 GMT, "Seraph"
<ser...@dc.rr.comtakeoffpounds> wrote:

>Welcome back, Rich. Now, what is this about you preparing 'sweaty' dishes?

Ooops, I was tired, more tired than I thought ;-0

Rich

Helena

Jul 25, 2004, 12:51:12 PM7/25/04
And I buy the garlic already minced and in a jar. :)

--
helena
Bringer of Forgotten Items

"I was the cat" <I_was_the_c...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I was the cat

Jul 25, 2004, 4:24:18 PM7/25/04

> When I can, I wear clothes that are neither in nor out of style,

I haven't seen a new style I liked in decades. I'm in a very comfortable rut
clothes-wise. Once the clothes are on me--I don't see them unless I look in
a mirror--so I never get tired of them. All I'm after as far as other people
are concerned--is I don't want them to stare. :)

>and
> even for colder weather they can be layered -- that's making it more
> complicated to weed things out, at least in my subjective view.

How about if you kept all of the clothes you wear in a separate place--just
put them some place else after they've been worn and laundered. After a
while--however long you want to run the experiment--the ones left untouched
in the closet and drawers are probably the ones you can get rid of.

Brenda

Helen Page

Jul 25, 2004, 7:41:23 PM7/25/04
Helena <travele...@GARBAGEcomcast.net> wrote:
> And I buy the garlic already minced and in a jar. :)

...and I buy it already incorporated into microwave meals! ;)

Beth Friedman

Jul 26, 2004, 1:48:40 PM7/26/04

It depends on the person, I guess. I'd wanted a breadmaker for years
and years, and finally bought one from Cyberrebates.com (now defunct)
after searching garage sales without luck.

This year, of course, I've been seeing breadmakers at garage sales all
over the place. I don't know if it's just that they stopped being
trendy, or if it's general perversity.

In any case, I used mine every few days when I first got it, and then
once every few weeks after the thrill wore off, but I was glad to have
it. It was especially nice to be able to take fresh bread to parties
without much effort or expense.

Now I'm doing Atkins, so no bread since the beginning of March. I
should probably put the breadmaker away, though I don't plan to get
rid of it.

m...@privacy.net

Jul 26, 2004, 2:53:10 PM7/26/04
>Now I'm doing Atkins, so no bread since the beginning of March. I
>should probably put the breadmaker away, though I don't plan to get
>rid of it.

Question...isn't it possible to make low car bread
recipes?

That way you could keep eating and making bread?

Medium Gnome

Jul 26, 2004, 3:33:39 PM7/26/04
Or you could follow the Weight Watcher's plan and have your cake/bread and
eat it too.

Yvette

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

Beth Friedman

Jul 28, 2004, 10:42:22 AM7/28/04

I suppose, but I haven't tried low-carb bread. I remember reading a
review of various commercial brands on Slate.com, and they were
universally panned. I've found a brand of low-carb tortillas (La
Tortilla) that works when I want sandwich-type stuff -- 3 grams net
carb, 50 calories, and it tastes okay and keeps the salmon and cream
cheese off my hands. Also, it keeps way longer than homemade bread
would, and I only go through a couple of pieces a week.

In the meantime I'm enjoying omelets, meat and fish, coffee with real
cream, berries and cream, and pistachio nuts. I know Atkins isn't for
everyone, but it's worked for me so far (41 pounds as of Monday).

Beth Friedman

Jul 28, 2004, 10:43:11 AM7/28/04
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:33:39 GMT, "Medium Gnome"
<ymodayur...@hatespaamsan.rr.com> wrote:

>Or you could follow the Weight Watcher's plan and have your cake/bread and
>eat it too.

Sure. Different plans work for different people. One of my closest
friends is seriously considering Weight Watchers.

Jarkat2002

Jul 28, 2004, 11:52:34 AM7/28/04
>I know Atkins isn't for
>everyone, but it's worked for me so far (41 pounds as of Monday).

That's great! :)
Low Carb works VERY well for me too.
Have you tried www.lowcarbfriends.com it's a great site.
It's where I met my DH :D too! (hehe, it's not a dating service, it's a low
carb site w/ a great chat)

Beth Friedman

Jul 31, 2004, 1:19:43 PM7/31/04
On 28 Jul 2004 15:52:34 GMT, jarka...@aol.comyowza (Jarkat2002)
wrote:

>>I know Atkins isn't for
>>everyone, but it's worked for me so far (41 pounds as of Monday).
>
>That's great! :)
>Low Carb works VERY well for me too.
>Have you tried www.lowcarbfriends.com it's a great site.
>It's where I met my DH :D too! (hehe, it's not a dating service, it's a low
>carb site w/ a great chat)

I think I've found a recipe or two there, but I haven't done any of
the chat stuff. I mostly hang out in alt.support.diet.low-carb.