Launching Versioning, Content Bidding & More!

AdWordsAPIAdvisor

Feb 27, 2006, 5:54:06 PM2/27/06
to AdWords API Forum

We are happy to announce the re-release of API Versioning
(http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2006/02/api-versioning-is-live.html)
and the AdWords API Version 3 (V3)
(http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2006/02/api-version-3-support-for-content.html).

And... since we had another extra two weeks of development time, we
were able to include the AdWords Keyword Tool
(https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=25109) to V3.

So to recap...

Version 3 includes support for our new Content Bidding
(https://adwords.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=26507)
functionality. For background information on the Content Bidding
feature, please see our earlier post entitled "Exposing Content
Bidding via the API in January"
(http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2005/11/exposing-content-bidding-via-api-in.html).

In addition, we have exposed the AdWords Keyword Tool via a new
KeywordToolService
(http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/KeywordToolService.html)

Finally, the campaignNegativeKeywords
[http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/Campaign.html#campaignNegativeKeywords?version=3&from=2]
field is deprecated. Please use setCampaignNegativeCriteria and
getCampaignNegativeCriteria
[http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/CriterionService.html#getCampaignNegativeCriteria]
requests in CriterionService instead.

Per our earlier stated policy, V2 will be supported for one month from
today, at which time it will be turned off. Therefore, please make sure
that you upgrade your code to v3 before March 27, 2006.

For technical details about V3, please review the Release Notes
[http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/ReleaseNotes.html]
section of the Developer's Guide.

-- Rohit Dhawan, Product Manager

Peer Jakobsen

Feb 28, 2006, 2:21:31 AM2/28/06
to AdWords API Forum
A quick question. Is the Keyword Tool service "free" ? I don't see any
quota rate info for this new service:

http://www.google.com/support/adwordsapi/bin/answer.py?answer=21996

Best regards,
Peer Jakobsen

Mark B

Feb 28, 2006, 3:43:41 AM2/28/06
to AdWords API Forum
So Google continue to ignore their largest partners who have planned
deployment and development schedules
(http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/77cea16206a3ab50/64b8f2a16012d354?q=versioning&rnum=2#64b8f2a16012d354),
and assume that partners will drop everything else they are doing in
order to comply with their latest edict.

This is another symptom of Google's growing arrogance and
self-importance which is contributing to the general swell of bad
feeling about Google.

I really hope that the API team will reconsider this deadline - the
continual changes to the API at short notice are making them very hard
to work with. I can see that versioning can help with this, but only if
partners are given sufficient time to make the transition from one
version to the next. I believe 90 days would be sufficient for us, but
I suspect larger partners may need more notice of the new versions in
order to plan development work appropriately.

Richard Jones

Feb 28, 2006, 9:14:04 AM2/28/06
to Peer Jakobsen, AdWords API Forum

It's not free. It appears to consume 25 units of quota for each query.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.

Richard Jones

Feb 28, 2006, 9:15:38 AM2/28/06
to AdWords API Forum

We've updated our API to use v3, and added a handy command line tool
for exploring the KeywordToolService.

http://merjis.com/developers/adwords_api

Patrick Chanezon

Feb 28, 2006, 12:01:07 PM2/28/06
to Richard Jones, AdWords API Forum
Thanks Richard, you guys are so fast!
Merjis rocks!

P@

On 2/28/06, Richard Jones <ri...@annexia.org> wrote:

We've updated our API to use v3, and added a handy command line tool
for exploring the KeywordToolService.

http://merjis.com/developers/adwords_api

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Merjis - web marketing and technology -

--
Patrick Chanezon, AdWords API evangelist
http://blog.chanezon.com/

Patrick Chanezon

Feb 28, 2006, 8:02:57 PM2/28/06
to Peer Jakobsen, AdWords API Forum
Sorry about this missing information. The page has been updated now. yes it costs 25 quota units.

P@

AdWordsAPIAdvisor a écrit :

> In addition, we have exposed the AdWords Keyword Tool via a new
> KeywordToolService
> (

Patrick Chanezon

Feb 28, 2006, 8:07:00 PM2/28/06
to Mark B, AdWords API Forum
On 2/28/06, Mark B <charlot...@thomsonlocal.com> wrote:

So Google  continue to ignore their largest partners who have planned
deployment and development schedules

and assume that partners will drop everything else they are doing in
order to comply with their latest edict.

It is a bit harsh statement for an API that is still in beta. We  listened to the concerns expressed by developers in the thread you link to, and will probably extend the sunsetting period a bit soon.
But it does not make sense to extend it too long at a stage in the API development where it is still in beta and undergoes frequent significant changes.

This is another symptom of Google's growing arrogance and
self-importance which is contributing to the general swell of bad
feeling about Google.

I am sorry that you feel that way about us.

I really hope that the API team will reconsider this deadline - the
continual changes to the API at short notice are making them very hard
to work with. I can see that versioning can help with this, but only if
partners are given sufficient time to make the transition from one
version to the next. I believe 90 days would be sufficient for us, but

Patrick Chanezon

Feb 28, 2006, 8:08:01 PM2/28/06
to Richard Jones, Peer Jakobsen, AdWords API Forum
Thanks Richard, you're the SOAP master of this list:-)
We updated the quota page to reflect this.

P@

Mark B

Mar 1, 2006, 3:50:50 AM3/1/06
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks for the feedback Patrick - it's reassuring to know that
partners' concerns are being heard. I appreciate your point about the
extent of support for old versions - we publish our own API, so I am
well aware of the difficulty of maintaining multiple versions.

I do have a more general concern about the continued use of betas, and
your belief that simply by labelling something as a beta, you no longer
need to follow accepted etiquette (e.g. sunset periods) about running
enterprise-class systems with multi-million pound (or dollar) partners.
Witness the furore over Microsoft's sunsetting of support for Windows
NT 4.0. While I appreciate that is a significantly different scenario,
as Google starts to deal with larger partners running business-critical
systems against your API, you start to acquire similar responsibilities
and obligations to support those partners, regardless of whether or not
you call your API a beta.

We have in fact now dropped all our other projects for the time being
in order to meet your deadline, as we simply cannot take the risk that
you will still disable the v2 API on March 27th. However, as I am sure
you can appreciate, the stakeholders of those other projects are not at
all happy.

Robert

Mar 1, 2006, 4:09:31 AM3/1/06
to AdWords API Forum
Patrick, thank you for your answer of this comment of this frustrated
developer.
---
Today I waked up and have some great ideas for a new adwords API client
(based on version 3). But now after hours of thinking and musing I see
no way to release the new API client. Why?
- manuel account linking: the buyer of the Adwords API client download
the software, enter his account data and want to use/try the software
instantly. But the buyer have to wait days(!): First the buyer have to
email me his AdWords Customer ID. If I have gotten this email, I have
to login to my MCC and and link his account. Then I have to send an
email to the buyer that he have to login into his account and accept
the linking. Hey, I'm a developer - I'm not 7x24 online. (see thread
http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/068ed84d2788aff5/ced3cdecd483ca5a#ced3cdecd483ca5a)
- Quotas: How to splitt the quotas between my linked clients? If one of
my buyers consume all of my MCC quotas, then there are no more quotas
for my other clients. Okay, I can set some limits for each clients -
but if only one user find a way to break this limit I would get a lot
of problems and I would lost all my clients. (Even if you use strong
protection and cryptography, there are at least one cracker in the
world which find a way to bypass it. )

Is there no developer in the API team, which have tried to make money
with selling software or an online service? No experiences?

The solution of the TOS & quota & linking could be a "user token"
instead of the developer token, see
http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/8ad8ec6d228489f3/a04fc07b4799109d#a04fc07b4799109d

Thanks for reading,
Robert

Peer Jakobsen

Mar 6, 2006, 4:12:01 AM3/6/06
to AdWords API Forum
How much is the setCampaignNegativeCriteria and
getCampaignNegativeCriteria? 1 and 50 quotas like on the adgroup level?

Best regards,

Peer Jakobsen

Patrick Chanezon a écrit :

> Sorry about this missing information. The page has been updated now. yes it
> costs 25 quota units.
>
> P@
>
> On 2/27/06, Peer Jakobsen <peer.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > A quick question. Is the Keyword Tool service "free" ? I don't see any
> > quota rate info for this new service:
> >
> > http://www.google.com/support/adwordsapi/bin/answer.py?answer=21996
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Peer Jakobsen
> >
> > AdWordsAPIAdvisor a écrit :
> >

> > > In addition, we have exposed the AdWords Keyword Tool via a new
> > > KeywordToolService

> > > (http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/developer/KeywordToolService.html)

> --
> Patrick Chanezon, AdWords API evangelist
> http://blog.chanezon.com/
> http://www.google.com/apis/adwords/
>

> ------=_Part_7828_15637110.1141174977755

> peer.j...@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><br>A quick question. Is the Keyword Tool service &quot;free&quot; ? I don't see any
> </a>
>
> ------=_Part_7828_15637110.1141174977755--

PPCBidTracker

Mar 8, 2006, 1:56:10 AM3/8/06
to AdWords API Forum
Rohit,
I thought we had until March 27 to migrate to V3?

I'm getting this error on our CampaignService SOAP routines, that have
functioned perfectly for the last several months:

The request namespace is invalid for the service URL.

What is going on?

Regards,

Keith

Richard Jones

Mar 8, 2006, 11:23:32 AM3/8/06
to PPCBidTracker, AdWords API Forum
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:56:10PM -0800, PPCBidTracker wrote:
> The request namespace is invalid for the service URL.

I think this was a known bug. Previously the services didn't pay much
attention to the namespace URL given in the XML, but now they have to
contain the exact namespace, ending with .../v2/ or .../v3/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.

Patrick Chanezon

Mar 8, 2006, 10:32:27 PM3/8/06
to Richard Jones, PPCBidTracker, AdWords API Forum
Thanks Richard.
Keith, see http://adwordsapi.blogspot.com/2006/02/namespace-issue.html for details.
Hope this helps.

P@