Difference in search volume between API and Keyword Tool?

Brian Jensen

Jun 23, 2010, 5:59:03 PM6/23/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hello -

We are using the TargetingIdeaService with the
GlobalMonthlySearchesSearchParameter and the
AverageTargetedMonthlySearchesSearchParameter with the STATS
RequestType in order to return search volumes for specific keywords.

When I compare these results with the AdWords Keyword Tool, I'm
baffled as to why the volumes are so far apart.

Example: "twin air bed"
Global EXACT match: 2900 (API) vs 320 (KW Tool)
Global PHRASE match: 6600 (API) vs 1000 (KW Tool)
Global BROAD match: 33100 (API) vs 3600 (KW Tool)

In reading previous posts, I understand that the API should more
closely match the SK Tool results than the Keyword Tool but even this
doesn't hold true. For the example above the SK Tool returns 190.

Any ideas what we're doing wrong?

Thank you -
Brian

AdWords API Advisor

Jun 24, 2010, 6:30:40 PM6/24/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Brian,

The difference is likely due to a difference in targeting. By default
the Search-based Keyword Tool targets the results to your language and
country (English and United States for example). The API on the other
hand doesn't target the results by default, and will return the
statistics for all languages and countries. To emulate the results of
the keyword tool you need to include a LanguageTargetSearchParameter
and CountryTargetSearchParameter.

http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIdeaService.CountryTargetSearchParameter.html
http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIdeaService.LanguageTargetSearchParameter.html

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team

P.S. The GlobalMonthlySearchesSearchParameter and the
AverageTargetedMonthlySearchesSearchParameter are only required if you
want to limit the results to only ideas that have certain amounts of
searches. If you just want to return those values you need only to
include the GLOBAL_MONTHLY_SEARCHES and
AVERAGE_TARGETED_MONTHLY_SEARCHES AttributeTypes respectively.

Brian Jensen

Jun 25, 2010, 5:36:51 PM6/25/10
to AdWords API Forum
Eric -

Thank you for your quick response. We actually went back and modified
the 'GetRelatedKeywords.php' file from the v2009 client library
examples with those additional parameters. It corrected the average
monthly search volumes (to show only US volumes) but the global
volumes stayed the same. Both of these numbers (the average and the
global) are still too high.

Using the same example: "twin air bed"
Global EXACT match: 2900 (API) vs 320 (KW Tool)
Local EXACT match: 2400 (API) vs 260 (KW Tool)

It actually makes sense that this only changed the local numbers since
we only added language and country parameters - the global numbers
should not change regardless of the language and country, correct?
Can anyone else verify my numbers and the variance in returns we are
seeing between the API and the KW tool?

Thanks -
Brian

On Jun 24, 3:30 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> The difference is likely due to a difference in targeting.  By default
> the Search-based Keyword Tool targets the results to your language and
> country (English and United States for example).  The API on the other
> hand doesn't target the results by default, and will return the
> statistics for all languages and countries.  To emulate the results of
> the keyword tool you need to include a LanguageTargetSearchParameter
> and CountryTargetSearchParameter.
>
>  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIde...
>  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIde...

AdWords API Advisor

Jun 29, 2010, 11:03:03 AM6/29/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Brian,

I'll look into this a bit deeper and let you know what I find.

Best,
- Eric

Brian Jensen

Jun 29, 2010, 12:45:14 PM6/29/10
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks, Eric.

I appreciate you taking the time to review this issue and look forward
to your findings.

Regards -
Brian

On Jun 29, 8:03 am, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I'll look into this a bit deeper and let you know what I find.
>
> Best,
> - Eric
>
> On Jun 25, 5:36 pm, Brian Jensen <bri.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Eric -
>
> > Thank you for your quick response.  We actually went back and modified
> > the 'GetRelatedKeywords.php' file from the v2009 client library
> > examples with those additional parameters.  It corrected the average
> > monthlysearchvolumes (to show only US volumes) but the global
> > volumes stayed the same.  Both of these numbers (the average and the
> > global) are still too high.
>
> > Using the same example: "twin air bed"
> >      Global EXACT match: 2900 (API) vs 320 (KW Tool)
> >      Local EXACT match: 2400 (API) vs 260 (KW Tool)
>
> > It actually makes sense that this only changed the local numbers since
> > we only added language and country parameters - the global numbers
> > should not change regardless of the language and country, correct?
> > Can anyone else verify my numbers and the variance in returns we are
> > seeing between the API and the KW tool?
>
> > Thanks -
> > Brian
>
> > On Jun 24, 3:30 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hi Brian,
>
> > > Thedifferenceis likely due to adifferencein targeting.  By default
> > > theSearch-based Keyword Tool targets the results to your language and
> > > country (English and United States for example).  The API on the other
> > > hand doesn't target the results by default, and will return the
> > > statistics for all languages and countries.  To emulate the results of
> > > the keyword tool you need to include a LanguageTargetSearchParameter
> > > and CountryTargetSearchParameter.
>
> > >  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIde...
> > >  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIde...
>
> > > Best,
> > > - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
>
> > > P.S. The GlobalMonthlySearchesSearchParameter and the
> > > AverageTargetedMonthlySearchesSearchParameter are only required if you
> > > want to limit the results to only ideas that have certain amounts of
> > > searches.  If you just want to return those values you need only to
> > > include the GLOBAL_MONTHLY_SEARCHES and
> > > AVERAGE_TARGETED_MONTHLY_SEARCHES AttributeTypes respectively.

Brian Jensen

Jun 29, 2010, 1:02:28 PM6/29/10

wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I'll look into this a bit deeper and let you know what I find.
>
> Best,
> - Eric
>
> On Jun 25, 5:36 pm, Brian Jensen <bri.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Eric -
>
> > Thank you for your quick response.  We actually went back and modified
> > the 'GetRelatedKeywords.php' file from the v2009 client library
> > examples with those additional parameters.  It corrected the average
> > monthlysearchvolumes (to show only US volumes) but the global
> > volumes stayed the same.  Both of these numbers (the average and the
> > global) are still too high.
>
> > Using the same example: "twin air bed"
> >      Global EXACT match: 2900 (API) vs 320 (KW Tool)
> >      Local EXACT match: 2400 (API) vs 260 (KW Tool)
>
> > It actually makes sense that this only changed the local numbers since
> > we only added language and country parameters - the global numbers
> > should not change regardless of the language and country, correct?
> > Can anyone else verify my numbers and the variance in returns we are
> > seeing between the API and the KW tool?
>
> > Thanks -
> > Brian
>
> > On Jun 24, 3:30 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hi Brian,
>
> > > Thedifferenceis likely due to adifferencein targeting.  By default
> > > theSearch-based Keyword Tool targets the results to your language and
> > > country (English and United States for example).  The API on the other
> > > hand doesn't target the results by default, and will return the
> > > statistics for all languages and countries.  To emulate the results of
> > > the keyword tool you need to include a LanguageTargetSearchParameter
> > > and CountryTargetSearchParameter.
>
> > >  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIde...
> > >  http://code.google.com/apis/adwords/v2009/docs/reference/TargetingIde...
>
> > > Best,
> > > - Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
>
> > > P.S. The GlobalMonthlySearchesSearchParameter and the
> > > AverageTargetedMonthlySearchesSearchParameter are only required if you
> > > want to limit the results to only ideas that have certain amounts of
> > > searches.  If you just want to return those values you need only to
> > > include the GLOBAL_MONTHLY_SEARCHES and
> > > AVERAGE_TARGETED_MONTHLY_SEARCHES AttributeTypes respectively.

Message has been deleted

AdWords API Advisor

Jun 30, 2010, 4:45:44 PM6/30/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Brian,

So it looks like the problem is due to the existence of two keyword
tools that use slightly different technology.

1) Search-based Keyword Tool: http://www.google.com/sktool/

2) AdWords Keyword Tool: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

The TargetingIdeaService and AdWords Keyword Tool share the same
underlying technology, and the search volume estimates should be the
same in both. The Search-based Keyword Tool uses slightly different
technology and is expected to deliver different search volume
estimates. Please using the AdWords Keyword Tool when doing
comparisons with the TargetingIdeaService.

Best,
- Eric

Brian Jensen

Jun 30, 2010, 7:55:16 PM6/30/10
to AdWords API Forum
Eric -

Thanks for your reply.

I finally figured out the problem: the TargetingIdeaService only
matches the AdWords Keyword Tool if you are LOGGED OUT of your Adwords
account. This raises two questions:

1) Why do the Keyword Tool results differ depending upon whether or
not you are signed into your Adwords account?
2) I am always logged in when I use the Keyword Tool, primarily
because I can view and download 800 results vs. only 100 when you are
not logged in. Therefore, how do we make the TargetingIdeaService
results match the logged-in results? Or is this not possible?

Thanks -
Brian

On Jun 30, 1:45 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

GMTD

Jul 5, 2010, 10:42:00 AM7/5/10
to AdWords API Forum
Dear Eric,
I seem to have sort of the same problem, but Brians solution didn't
help me since now.
We're using the API-Requests targeted with
LanguageTargetSearchParameter and CountryTargetSearchParameter but
have different results using the API and the Webinterface.

For the Keyword "wandpaneele" in the "EXACT"-Mode...
i) Adwords API gives me the value of 2.400 for global_monthly_requests
ii) Adwords Keyword Tool LOGGED IN WITH THE SAME USERNAME AS MY API-
APPLICATION uses doesn't give me any stats about exactly this keyword
(strange, isn't it?)
iii) Adwords Keyword Tool External (NOT LOGGED IN, captcha-mode) gives
me 8.100 for global_monthly_requests (some 340% divergence)
iv) Adwords Keyword Tool LOGGED IN WITH ANOTHER USERNAME gives me
8.100 for global_monthly_requests

We just wonder if the data available throughout the API is any
reliable, or - as we pay for the API data - if only the API-Data is
close to the truth.
If you need my accounts'-data to help out pls refer to me via email.

Thanks in advance
Achim

On 30 Jun., 22:45, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

Jul 9, 2010, 5:21:18 PM7/9/10
to AdWords API Forum
Bump. I am having the same problem as Achim above. It is quite
maddening.

Has anyone figured out why there is such a huge discrepancy?

Can anyone explain how to get the stats for A SINGLE PARTICULAR
keyword using the GUI tool when signed in?

If there is no fix for this, then I would at least like to understand
what is causing the huge difference.

Thanks, K

AdWords API Advisor

Jul 12, 2010, 7:13:22 PM7/12/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

The core engineering team is working on this issue, but at this time I
don't have any further details.

Best,
- Eric

AdWords API Advisor

Jul 14, 2010, 12:42:58 PM7/14/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi All,

Just to clarify, this is a known issue that we're working on. Note
that, for a given AdWords account, the numbers will match across the
API and the Keyword Tool. We're working on addressing the differences
in numbers between the external Keyword Tool, and the signed-in
version of the Keyword Tool.

Best,
- Eric

On Jul 12, 7:13 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

histrionics

Jul 19, 2010, 4:49:11 PM7/19/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi there,

Any update on this situation? I understand you guys are working on it,
but any update you can provide in terms of timeline would be
invaluable to me and my clients.

Thanks!
Rob

On Jul 14, 9:42 am, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> [...]

AdWords API Advisor

Jul 20, 2010, 3:49:56 PM7/20/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Rob,

At this time I don't have any time estimates on when this issue will
be resolved.

Best,
- Eric

parviz

Jul 25, 2010, 5:50:40 PM7/25/10
to AdWords API Forum
hi,

I face the same issue using language Finnish and country Finland...

The difference is so huge that we can't really use the api results
atm...

Any change the Google engineers can fix it or did they give up?

On Jul 20, 10:49 pm, AdWords API Advisor

ExpediaSEOTeam

Jul 27, 2010, 4:20:38 PM7/27/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Eric,

Is there any update on a fix for this bug? It's been almost three
weeks since you mentioned the engineering team were looking into this.

Thanks
Andrew

On Jul 12, 4:13 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The core engineering team is working on this issue, but at this time I
> don't have any further details.
>
> Best,
> - Eric
>
> On Jul 9, 5:21 pm, k <keen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Bump. I am having the same problem as Achim above. It is quite
> > maddening.
>
> > Has anyone figured out why there is such a huge discrepancy?
>
> > Can anyone explain how to get the stats for A SINGLE PARTICULAR
> >keywordusing the GUItoolwhen signed in?
>
> > If there is no fix for this, then I would at least like to understand
> > what is causing the hugedifference.
>
> > Thanks, K
>
> > On Jul 5, 7:42 am, GMTD <i...@kntrst.com> wrote:
>
> > > Dear Eric,
> > > I seem to have sort of the same problem, but Brians solution didn't
> > > help me since now.
> > > We're using theAPI-Requests targeted with
> > > LanguageTargetSearchParameter and CountryTargetSearchParameter but
> > > have different results using theAPIand the Webinterface.
>
> > > For theKeyword"wandpaneele" in the "EXACT"-Mode...
> > > i) AdwordsAPIgives me the value of 2.400 for global_monthly_requests
> > > ii) AdwordsKeywordToolLOGGED IN WITH THE SAME USERNAME AS MYAPI-
> > > APPLICATION uses doesn't give me any stats about exactly thiskeyword
> > > (strange, isn't it?)
> > > iii) AdwordsKeywordToolExternal (NOT LOGGED IN, captcha-mode) gives
> > > me 8.100 for global_monthly_requests (some 340% divergence)
> > > iv) AdwordsKeywordToolLOGGED IN WITH ANOTHER USERNAME gives me
> > > 8.100 for global_monthly_requests
>
> > > We just wonder if the data available throughout theAPIis any
> > > reliable, or - as we pay for theAPIdata - if only theAPI-Data is
> > > close to the truth.
> > > If you need my accounts'-data to help out pls refer to me via email.
>
> > > Thanks in advance
> > > Achim

AdWords API Advisor

Jul 28, 2010, 5:48:41 PM7/28/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Andrew,

The core engineering team is still working on the issue, but I still
don't have any information on when the problem will be resolved.

Best,
- Eric

ExpediaSEOTeam

Jul 29, 2010, 2:01:54 PM7/29/10
to AdWords API Forum
FYI it appears as though this problem may not be effecting exact match
search volume data from the API. We've run a few initial tests and
with the tool logged in vs. API vs. logged out tool and so far it
looks as though you can actually get accurate numbers (accurate in the
sense they match the keyword tool when logged out) if you do not
specify the client email in the API call.

This appears to be a quick fix if you need to pull down SV data in the
meantime.

HTH

Thanks
Andrew

On Jul 28, 2:48 pm, AdWords API Advisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>
wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> The core engineering team is still working on the issue, but I still
> don't have any information on when the problem will be resolved.
>
> Best,
> - Eric
>
> On Jul 27, 4:20 pm, ExpediaSEOTeam <expediasite...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Eric,
>
> > Is there any update on a fix for this bug? It's been almost three
> > weeks since you mentioned the engineering team were looking into this.
>
> > Thanks
> > Andrew
>
> > On Jul 12, 4:13 pm, AdWordsAPIAdvisor <adwordsapiadvi...@google.com>

Test Vilkin

Aug 25, 2010, 10:09:12 AM8/25/10
to AdWords API Forum
I get a 100 percent match(same keywords, same keywords order and all
volumes for that), when I compare data from AdWords API and OLD
VERSION of Adwords Keyword Tool LOGGED IN with the same user name as
my API uses. Old version is at https://adwords.google.de/select/KeywordTool?forceLegacy=true

keesjan

Oct 14, 2010, 10:12:41 AM10/14/10
to AdWords API Forum
Any updates yet?

AdWords API Advisor

Oct 15, 2010, 3:48:37 PM10/15/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi All,

The search volume reported by the keyword tool (signed out) and the
API should be the same. There may still be some accounts where the
search volume when signed in is different, but this should be
corrected in the next couple of weeks.

Best,
- Eric

SEO Programmer

Nov 2, 2010, 8:19:32 AM11/2/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

I am very new to Adwords API, I found latest version is 2010,08
version PHP Clinet Library.

I want to get the Global search volume of a keyword programmatically
by a PHP Script by Adwords API or some other API I want to get this
data. But I am seeking a sample PHP script to get this data, how to
use the Adwords API Library codes to fetch data.

I am seeking a step by step guide to use this Adwords PHP Library to
get desired data, i.e search volume of a keyword.

Any help is highly appreciated.

I want to know Local or Global both search volumes, if possible for a
particular country.

On Oct 16, 12:48 am, AdWords API Advisor

AdWords API Advisor

Nov 4, 2010, 12:25:50 PM11/4/10
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

Please see my response on your existing thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/adwords-api/browse_thread/thread/43d71e60515bc04e/

Best,
- Eric