Presentation TiddlyWiki - the next killer app?

Simon Baird

Feb 7, 2007, 8:30:17 PM2/7/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Prior to Saq's breakthrough Presentation mode package all pretty much all TiddlyWiki powered web sites were a bit clunky looking. From a random web user's point of view they were confronted with weirdness like a "edit" button and "save changes" button etc. There were some attempts to improve this, firstly change edit to view for web users etc. Okay good idea but no instead of a confusing "edit" button there is a confusing "view" button. Big improvement there. :) It almost goes without saying that a random web user should not be hit with a learning curve just so she can access your site. I think Saq's Presentation TW is the first thing that properly realises this. I think the concepts from presentation plugin should become core as they are so important for TW's usefulness as a web site authoring tool. (Not the slideshow part so much but the author/viewer mode part).

To put it more sucinctly:

Where we are now in regard to small web site authoring/publishing:

Authoring tools: Best thing since sliced bread
User experience: A little bit clunky. Weird buttons. Weird tabs. A little confusing. Some learning curve perhaps.

Where we need to be: (or can be thanks to Presentation mode)
Authoring tools: ...sliced bread
User experience: As good if not better than any other web site

Examples:

http://tiddlysnip.com/  (Saq leads by example :)

http://bclearproject.tiddlyspot.com/

Note 1, both these use SinglePageMode. I don't think SinglePageMode is essential for a good user experience (in fact it's a major asset for TW) though we must accept that the multiple tiddler display mode presents some learning curve for users and do our best to smooth that curve.

Note 2, there are plenty of other potential "killer apps" for TW (another thread?). Small web site authoring could be a big one though. There's nothing that can come close to the ease of use and ease of entry for web site authors.

Note 3, "Save tw to static html" would also be a very big deal in this field.

--
Simon Baird <simon...@gmail.com>

Samuel Reynolds

Feb 7, 2007, 8:49:38 PM2/7/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
At 06:30 PM 2/7/2007, you wrote:
>Prior to Saq's breakthrough Presentation mode package all pretty
>much all TiddlyWiki powered web sites were a bit clunky looking.
> From a random web user's point of view they were confronted with
>weirdness like a "edit" button and "save changes" button etc. There
>were some attempts to improve this, firstly change edit to view for
>web users etc. Okay good idea but no instead of a confusing "edit"
>button there is a confusing "view" button. Big improvement there. :)
>It almost goes without saying that a random web user should not be
>hit with a learning curve just so she can access your site. I think
>Saq's Presentation TW is the first thing that properly realises
>this. I think the concepts from presentation plugin should become
>core as they are so important for TW's usefulness as a web site
>authoring tool. (Not the slideshow part so much but the
>author/viewer mode part).

FWIW, SinglePagePlugin, but not using Presentation mode:

http://www.spinwardstars.com/HouseForSale/

- Sam

Simon Baird

Feb 7, 2007, 10:25:28 PM2/7/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/07, Samuel Reynolds <sam-g...@spinwardstars.com> wrote:

FWIW, SinglePagePlugin, but not using Presentation mode:

http://www.spinwardstars.com/HouseForSale/

That's cool, thanks for sharing! I was curious about how do you edit it. Then I found my old favourite ... HideWhenPlugin   :)

To continue my soap boxing from previous post, Samuel had the tech skills to figure out how to install HideWhenPlugin and use it to modify his ViewTemplate and PageTemplate.  But I would guess 99% of our potential web site authors might find this tricky, especially given the situation with documentation.

Possibly it's worth putting SinglePageMode in core. It can't be very heavy. And we need non-cookie based options.

Simon.

--
Simon Baird < simon...@gmail.com>

BidiX

Feb 8, 2007, 1:52:53 AM2/8/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/8/07, Simon Baird <simon...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think Saq's Presentation TW is the first thing that properly realises this. I think the concepts from presentation plugin should become core as they are so important for TW's usefulness as a web site authoring tool.

I completely agree with you Simon. The Saq's PresentationPlugin permits to design a full single file web with TiddlyWiki.

For the first time, last week I used, at work, a TiddlyWiki to be delivered as a newsletter. I call it NewsWiki ! In fact it is a copy of TiddlySnip just recolored with the company colors.

But, I think that SinglePagePlugin is essential since it is a more conventional look and feel. But I let a button "Mode Auteur" in the MainMenu just to generate curiosity !

What we need is a good back button. But Eric has, as always, a small plugin that do that, I think.

Note 2, there are plenty of other potential "killer apps" for TW (another thread?). Small web site authoring could be a big one though. There's nothing that can come close to the ease of use and ease of entry for web site authors.

I  completely agree.

Note 3, "Save tw to static html" would also be a very big deal in this field.

Not sure now, because we have the PresentationPlugin. But a kind of SplashScreenPlugin that do a smooth transition with the full display could be a good advantage.

-- BidiX
http://TiddlyWiki.bidix.info

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 8, 2007, 2:10:44 AM2/8/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just a heads up that:
1) the current "PresentationPlugin" was never meant for redistribution when written. When I shared the presentation I had help set up using it, the interest/demand led to my cleaning it up hastily and making it available. I have considerable tweaks and improvements planned for TW2.2.

2) the SplashScreen plugin is also being completely rewritten in time for TW2.2, to make installation, uninstallation and customization easier.

Cheers,
Saq

springer

Feb 8, 2007, 9:21:18 AM2/8/07
to TiddlyWiki
Let me chime in that in my view, what's valuable about a "presentation
mode" is nullified by "single page mode". That is, I think of
TiddlyWiki as designed for "microcontent" which is generally much less
than a page-worth. And most of the brilliance of TiddlyWiki for a
viewer (in the case of at least some of my sites) is being able to
compose a page of the bits of microcontent (such as related
definitions) one is interested in examining concurrently, with the
simple but helpful animation of the movement from link to content. So,
what I'd be most happy with, as a package, would follow one of two
paths:

A. A TiddlyWiki core that makes it easy to give each page two "faces",
for authors and for browsers (And somehow to make this possible even
via tiddlyspot ; ) ).

B. An easy "publication" process that churns out a page without
editing features, but which *does* have javascript enough to enable
robust browsing. (Publishing to straight html would also be nice for
various purposes, but the result would not in any sense preserve the
strengths of the TiddlyWiki browsing experience.

Whether via A or B, the browsing experience should, at minimum:

1. have a simplified toolbar (where "view" is usually *not* necessary,
because the reader is not there to peek into pre-wikified text).
(ASIDE, is there a way to get Tiddlyspot to differentiate between http-
author access and http-browse access, in order to make use of such
features?)

2. have a simplified set of sidebar tabs and sidebar options (browsers
don't need to be bewildered by orphans, missing, etc.), and carefully-
set-up print css.

The "B" path would be much more coding-intensive, I realize. As files
grow in size, however, it would allow a substantial savings, because
most plugins and certain core authoring code bits could be left out.
Ideally (and this may be a more parochial concern) it could hard-
convert all "redirects" so that there's not lots of scripting on
load.

The "A" path has the delightful feature of not needing to be "run" --
edit your page and as soon as its available online viewers can
immediately access that page via their own simplified interface.

-Spandrel

On Feb 7, 8:30 pm, "Simon Baird" <simon.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...From a random web

> user's point of view they were confronted with weirdness like a "edit"

> button and "save changes" button etc. ...

> I think the concepts from presentation plugin should become core as they are
> so important for TW's usefulness as a web site authoring tool. (Not the
> slideshow part so much but the author/viewer mode part).

> Where we are now in regard to small web site authoring/publishing:
>
> Authoring tools: Best thing since sliced bread
> User experience: A little bit clunky. Weird buttons. Weird tabs. A little
> confusing. Some learning curve perhaps.
>
> Where we need to be: (or can be thanks to Presentation mode)
> Authoring tools: ...sliced bread
> User experience: As good if not better than any other web site

Simon Baird

Feb 8, 2007, 9:38:59 AM2/8/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/07, springer <springer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Let me chime in that in my view, what's valuable about a "presentation
mode" is nullified by "single page mode". That is, I think of

I should make it clear my suggestion for SinglePageMode in the core was that it should be off by default. Only switched on by those who want it (but not via a cookie, sorry getting off track).

A TiddlyWiki core that makes it easy to give each page two "faces",
for authors and for browsers (And somehow to make this possible even
via tiddlyspot ; ) ).

If you use Presentation TW that is available now. You go to http://sitename.tiddlyspot.com/#author:true to author.

[snip]

Re, A and B, some good points. A is simpler. B allows lighter-weight publishing.

DenizenOfAsgard

Feb 8, 2007, 1:26:05 PM2/8/07
to TiddlyWiki
Hmmm choices abound: Presentation TW, or the one in the House for Sale
ad. And I know there are others; I've seen some fiction in TW with
completely different styles that doesn't look like the off-the-shelf
TW.

My biggest obsticle when creating my works was having to learn TW
while writing the content. Hard to creative when doing both at the
same time. Therefore, I think it would be great to have a ready to go
system for those who need to spend their creative on their subject
matter and not the media. A repository of several ready-to-go TW files
with all the bells-n-whistles included would be a great thing to have.
The presentation_empty_full would be the first in that repository but
wouldn't sit there alone. (I hope.)

I'm too busy writing content to fiddle with TW, but if I ever get to
it, I would like to made a few minor changes to the look-n-feel, like
removing the menu on the left, reducing the choices on the sidebar on
the right.Perhaps even do away with everything on the right
altogether. Also I would like to have only the references button
(which will always be visible). Whenever I get around to doing all
that (and learning how to do it), I will post an empty_full for the
community to use.

Joe

On Feb 8, 3:38 pm, "Simon Baird" <simon.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/9/07, springer <springerspand...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Let me chime in that in my view, what's valuable about a "presentation
> > mode" is nullified by "single page mode". That is, I think of
>
> I should make it clear my suggestion for SinglePageMode in the core was that
> it should be off by default. Only switched on by those who want it (but not
> via a cookie, sorry getting off track).
>
> > A TiddlyWiki core that makes it easy to give each page two "faces",
> > for authors and for browsers (And somehow to make this possible even
> > via tiddlyspot ; ) ).
>

> If you use Presentation TW that is available now. You go tohttp://sitename.tiddlyspot.com/#author:trueto author.

> [snip]
>
> Re, A and B, some good points. A is simpler. B allows lighter-weight
> publishing.
>
> Simon.
>
> --

> Simon Baird <simon.ba...@gmail.com>

jventola

Feb 8, 2007, 5:40:42 PM2/8/07
to TiddlyWiki
I am thinking along similar lines. In another thread I describe a
really minimal tw for student journals. TiddlySpot provides a (not
well documented) series of flavors to choose from when creating the
account. I can imagine a much expanded list of such options, starting
with those for the simplest tasks....

On Feb 8, 1:26 pm, "DenizenOfAsgard"

Daniel Baird

Feb 8, 2007, 7:16:09 PM2/8/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 09/02/07, DenizenOfAsgard <american.werew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [..] I think it would be great to have a ready to go

> system for those who need to spend their creative on their subject
> matter and not the media. A repository of several ready-to-go TW files
> with all the bells-n-whistles included would be a great thing to have.
> The presentation_empty_full would be the first in that repository but
> wouldn't sit there alone. (I hope.)

This is pretty much exactly what Benevolent Leader Jeremy was talking
about a year ago, but he called it "editions". Maybe it's time for a
revival of the "editions"
idea..

;Daniel

--
Daniel Baird
http://tiddlyspot.com (free, effortless TiddlyWiki hosting)

Daniel Baird

Feb 8, 2007, 7:25:54 PM2/8/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
At tiddlyspot we have conflicting motivations when it comes to
deciding on the list of flavours.

TiddlyWiki folk (TiddlyFolk?) would like a big list of flavours, so
they can get exactly what they're after without messing around
adapting something.

On the other hand, Joe Newbie would be put off by having to choose
from a huge list.

The current front page design is aimed at Joe Newbie (and always will
be). But I'm working on a solution that will let TiddlyFolk switch on
a much bigger list of flavours, with every common template, but also
crazy stuff like the latest betas of mGTD and D3, and tiddlywiki fresh
off the top the subversion source code repository.

Don't hold your breath though. I'm kinda caught up in the plugin
repository project..

;Daniel

jventola

Feb 8, 2007, 7:55:49 PM2/8/07
to TiddlyWiki
I applaud your aim to keep Joe Newbie always in mind. Couldn't agree
more.

I wonder, though, if the current list of options is so simple for
newbies. What is Standard? What is GTD? Joe Newbie might feel asked
to make a choice among items that mean nothing much yet.

Could he or she handle something like?

TiddlyWiki can be set up for lots of tasks. We have set some up for
common tasks. Maybe one of these would suit you? (They are not
stripped down versions; we just hide the stuff you won't need right
off.)

<quote>
A. Keep a Blog
B. Manage recipes, addresses, etc.
C. Keep track of my schedule and Get Things Done
D. Create a reference manual
E. Keep Class Notes
F. Create a cross-referenced wiki (this would get the standard)
G. Create a simple web page (This gets Presentation?)
</quote>

For each major task, there is a tw set up to handle it as simply as
possible. Might work.

On Feb 8, 7:25 pm, "Daniel Baird" <danielba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At tiddlyspot we have conflicting motivations when it comes to
> deciding on the list of flavours.
>
> TiddlyWiki folk (TiddlyFolk?) would like a big list of flavours, so
> they can get exactly what they're after without messing around
> adapting something.
>
> On the other hand, Joe Newbie would be put off by having to choose
> from a huge list.
>
> The current front page design is aimed at Joe Newbie (and always will
> be). But I'm working on a solution that will let TiddlyFolk switch on
> a much bigger list of flavours, with every common template, but also
> crazy stuff like the latest betas of mGTD and D3, and tiddlywiki fresh
> off the top the subversion source code repository.
>
> Don't hold your breath though. I'm kinda caught up in the plugin
> repository project..
>
> ;Daniel
>

> Daniel Bairdhttp://tiddlyspot.com(free, effortless TiddlyWiki hosting)http://danielbaird.com(TiddlyW;nks! :: Whiteboard Koala :: Blog ::
> Things That Suck)

Daniel Baird

Feb 8, 2007, 8:22:51 PM2/8/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Once I've got the machinery in place for custom lists, we can look at
re-thinking the list like you suggest.

As it stands, GTD is about 40% of the tiddlyspot sites created, so D3
and mGTD pretty much have to be on the list -- if we just said "GTD",
we'd have to pick one favourite :)

I think probably we'll have some kind of "help me decide" text, rather
than re-name flavours.

;D

PS i'll reply to your student-blog thread eventually..

On 09/02/07, jventola <jven...@verizon.net> wrote:

--
Daniel Baird
http://tiddlyspot.com (free, effortless TiddlyWiki hosting)

http://danielbaird.com (TiddlyW;nks! :: Whiteboard Koala :: Blog ::
Things That Suck)

sb56637

Feb 8, 2007, 11:51:00 PM2/8/07
to TiddlyWiki
I think TW would be absolutely perfect for a "Single file" website, to
compete with the likes of cmsimple.dk and solucija.com (except MUCH
more slick.) The absolute only drawback in my opinion is the initial
load time for users with slow connections. I have slow DSL, and for
me it takes like 30 or 50 seconds usually to view most TW sites. Of
course the instantaneous load of tiddlers makes up for that, but new
users aren't aware of that, they just go away irritated with your
"Slow site". I personally pass by sites that have obnoxious long
Flash intro pages. Is there any way around this? I've read about the
asynchronous stuff in the new TW coming up, but I don't really
understand it. It's still necessary to download the complete file
before you can start to render and use it, right?

> Simon Baird <simon.ba...@gmail.com>

freewargamesrules

Feb 9, 2007, 2:49:21 PM2/9/07
to TiddlyWiki
I think the Presentation mode is a great way to create a site for a
non wiki type audience but giving you the author all the power of the
wiki for editing.

I have created a beta copy of my site using presentation plugin and
single page mode. I would think it works for my target audience.

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/beta/beta.html

Its not quite finished yet, but I will be doing some market research
from my audience (which is about 14,000 hits per month) and they will
decide if I adopt the presentation style or stick with the old TW
style.

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 9, 2007, 4:00:59 PM2/9/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Since we are somewhat on this topic already.... would someone like to suggest a better name for this than "PresentationPlugin" ? That name is very misleading as this can be used for websites, presentations, resumes etc....

Also, what do you guys think of the idea of packaging in the the templates as shadow tiddlers so it can be as easy to install as just copying the one plugin tiddler?

Obviously the templates I include might not be to everyone's liking, but in that case they can just tweak them.

Last but not least... in the next version, the "authoring" stylesheet and pagetemplate will be the tiddlers StyleSheet and PageTemplate (instead of AuthorStyleSheet and AuthorPageTemplate)... this is to ensure that if you start up in safe mode, you can still edit!

So this means I need names for the "viewing" or "public" stylesheet and pagetemplate, ie the ones with editing disabled. Any suggestions? PublicStyleSheet and PublicPageTemplate perhaps?

Oh, and if you have any other suggestions/ideas, nows the time.
I want to get this finalized so I can go ahead and release the 'presentation style' themes ive been working on!
Cheers,
Saq

PS:
should I continue to distribute two versions of the empty file? One with just whats needed to disable editing, and the other with the extras like SinglePageMode, NavigationPlugin etc?

FND

Feb 9, 2007, 4:10:20 PM2/9/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> Since we are somewhat on this topic already.... would someone like to
> suggest a better name for this than "PresentationPlugin" ? That name is
> very misleading as this can be used for websites, presentations, resumes
> etc....

Maybe something like TWPublisher or PublisherPlugin?

> Also, what do you guys think of the idea of packaging in the the
> templates as shadow tiddlers so it can be as easy to install as just
> copying the one plugin tiddler?

Since I hate plugins spread over more than one tiddler, I'd be all for this.

> Obviously the templates I include might not be to everyone's liking, but
> in that case they can just tweak them.

Just like with vanilla TW...

> So this means I need names for the "viewing" or "public" stylesheet and
> pagetemplate, ie the ones with editing disabled. Any suggestions?
> PublicStyleSheet and PublicPageTemplate perhaps?

The "Public" prefix sounds good.

> should I continue to distribute two versions of the empty file? One with
> just whats needed to disable editing, and the other with the extras like
> SinglePageMode, NavigationPlugin etc?

I think that would be useful - although, if I'm not mistaken, to get
from the 'full' to the 'lite' version, all you'd have to do is delete
those extra plugins' tiddlers, no?

-- F.

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 9, 2007, 5:48:51 PM2/9/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/9/07, FND <Ace_...@gmx.net> wrote:

> Since we are somewhat on this topic already.... would someone like to
> suggest a better name for this than "PresentationPlugin" ? That name is
> very misleading as this can be used for websites, presentations, resumes
> etc....

Maybe something like TWPublisher or PublisherPlugin?

I like PublisherPlugin! Any other ideas everybody? speak up now!

> So this means I need names for the "viewing" or "public" stylesheet and
> pagetemplate, ie the ones with editing disabled. Any suggestions?
> PublicStyleSheet and PublicPageTemplate perhaps?

The "Public" prefix sounds good.

I'll probably stick with it unless someone comes up with a better solution.

> should I continue to distribute two versions of the empty file? One with
> just whats needed to disable editing, and the other with the extras like
> SinglePageMode, NavigationPlugin etc?

I think that would be useful - although, if I'm not mistaken, to get
from the 'full' to the 'lite' version, all you'd have to do is delete
those extra plugins' tiddlers, no?

Yes that is all it would take, but asking people to  delete tiddlers is rather  inconsiderate. I might not  distribute a "lite" version, since that will just be an empty TW file with the plugin.
Cheers,
Saq

--
TiddlyThemes.com ( http://tiddlythemes.com ) : a gallery of TiddlyWiki themes.
TiddlySnip ( http://tiddlysnip.com ) : a firefox extension that turns TiddlyWiki into a scrapbook!

freewargamesrules

Feb 9, 2007, 6:08:23 PM2/9/07
to TiddlyWiki
Just had a reply to my beta site above:

" Doesn't seem to work in Safari browser on my Mac. The header and
contents list down left side appear, but no content in main area.
Clicking on a link seems to open the link but this collapses to
nothing at top of screen immediately."

Is anyone else aware of these issues in Safari?

Pete
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/beta/beta.html

freewargamesrules

Feb 9, 2007, 6:22:00 PM2/9/07
to TiddlyWiki
If you need to test your websites on MacOSX browsers there is a place
called BrowserCamp. You input a website URL and it will provide a
Safari screenshots generator for free.

http://www.browsrcamp.com/

I've tested both my versions and the presentation version does not
display correctly.

Also tried Saq's : http://tiddlysnip.com/ This too only shows the side
menu's and not the main content

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 9, 2007, 7:00:35 PM2/9/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Early testing suggests SinglePageModePlugin is to blame.
Try disabling it and see if that fixes it.

sean...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2007, 8:13:28 PM2/9/07
to TiddlyWiki
I use it for the rules to a game I'm writing., and with a slight edit
of ViewTemplate, it works really well. Being able to have multiple
tiddlers open is a huge advantage in this case.

http://tw.hessgames.com/game.php

-sean

On Feb 9, 5:00 pm, "Saq Imtiaz" <lew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Early testing suggests SinglePageModePlugin is to blame.
> Try disabling it and see if that fixes it.
>

> On 2/10/07, freewargamesrules <pete.jo...@virgin.net> wrote:
>

> > If you need to test your websites on MacOSX browsers there is a place
> > called BrowserCamp. You input a website URL and it will provide a
> > Safari screenshots generator for free.
>
> >http://www.browsrcamp.com/
>
> > I've tested both my versions and the presentation version does not
> > display correctly.
>

> > Also tried Saq's :http://tiddlysnip.com/This too only shows the side

> > menu's and not the main content
>

> --
> TiddlyThemes.com (http://tiddlythemes.com) : a gallery of TiddlyWiki
> themes.
> TiddlySnip (http://tiddlysnip.com) : a firefox extension that turns
> TiddlyWiki into a scrapbook!
> LewcidTW (http://tw.lewcid.org) : a repository of extensions for
> TiddlyWiki

Paulo Soares

Feb 9, 2007, 8:13:48 PM2/9/07
to TiddlyWiki
I'm really sad about the way my TW runs on Safari. Do you know any
other tools like BrowserCamp for other OS/browsers?

Daniel Baird

Feb 9, 2007, 9:55:02 PM2/9/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 10/02/07, Saq Imtiaz <lew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we are somewhat on this topic already.... would someone like to
> suggest a better name for this than "PresentationPlugin" ? That name is very
> misleading as this can be used for websites, presentations, resumes etc....

Publisher is ok, but sometimes that implies RSS (eg the
contentPublisher tag). It's hard to think of an alternative though..
maybe HideAuthoring?

> Also, what do you guys think of the idea of packaging in the the templates
> as shadow tiddlers so it can be as easy to install as just copying the one
> plugin tiddler?
>
> Obviously the templates I include might not be to everyone's liking, but in
> that case they can just tweak them.

Yes, great idea. And it will stop people from thinking the plugin's
doing nothing, coz they don't have the right templates.

> So this means I need names for the "viewing" or "public" stylesheet and
> pagetemplate, ie the ones with editing disabled. Any suggestions?
> PublicStyleSheet and PublicPageTemplate perhaps?

Yep sounds good.

> Oh, and if you have any other suggestions/ideas, nows the time.
> I want to get this finalized so I can go ahead and release the 'presentation
> style' themes ive been working on!

How about including a little link to author mode in the default public
template? that would save everyone some hassle trying to get
#author:true to work.

> Cheers,
> Saq
>
> PS:
> should I continue to distribute two versions of the empty file? One with
> just whats needed to disable editing, and the other with the extras like
> SinglePageMode, NavigationPlugin etc?

I definitely think there should be a "clean" PresentationPlugin-only
version. Whether or not someone uses SPM as well as PP is a whole
'nother decision.

Cheers

;Daniel

springer

Feb 9, 2007, 10:18:13 PM2/9/07
to TiddlyWiki
Simon,

Not to belittle the great uses for Saq's PresentationPlugin /
PublisherPlugin (I enjoyed the Tears of the Sun site, for example),
but in addition to being single-page rather than micro-content
oriented; it's also *linear* (?! OK, you can skip around within "the"
order, but...), so it sets aside yet another core feature that makes
TiddlyWiki *my* tool of choice. So, if anyone's looking for
encouragement to make a tweak that allows tiddlyspot sites like mine
(and most others) to continue to function and look exactly as they do,
MINUS the author-oriented backstage stuff for all but author access
(analogous to the current exploitable difference between http: and
file: access), consider yourself encouraged! : ))

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 10, 2007, 12:12:00 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/10/07, springer <springer...@gmail.com> wrote:

Simon,

Not to belittle the great uses for Saq's PresentationPlugin /
PublisherPlugin (I enjoyed the Tears of the Sun site, for example),
but in addition to being single-page rather than micro-content
oriented; it's also *linear* (?! OK, you can skip around within "the"
order, but...), so it sets aside yet another core feature that makes
TiddlyWiki *my* tool of choice. So, if anyone's looking for
encouragement to make a tweak that allows tiddlyspot sites like mine
(and most others) to continue to function and look exactly as they do,
MINUS the author-oriented backstage stuff for all but author access
(analogous to the current exploitable difference between http: and
file: access), consider yourself encouraged! : ))

Just to clarify, the PresentationPlugin does NOT include any single-page features. It just seems that most people use it with the SinglePageModePlugin. Which is why I have been offering two empty files for it:

1)http://lewcid.googlepages.com/presentation_empty.html#author:true
This one includes just the PresentationPlugin and an example set of templates for it to work on. All it does is, it disables and hides editing features by default, and enables them when the file is opened with #author:true appended at the end of the url

2)http://lewcid.googlepages.com/presentation_empty_full.html#author:true
This is an 'empty' version of the Tears of the Sun presentation, which includes PresentationPlugin, SinglePageModePlugin, NavigationMacro and other goodies.

Cheers,
Saq

--
TiddlyThemes.com ( http://tiddlythemes.com ) : a gallery of TiddlyWiki themes.
TiddlySnip ( http://tiddlysnip.com ) : a firefox extension that turns TiddlyWiki into a scrapbook!
LewcidTW ( http://tw.lewcid.org ) : a repository of extensions for TiddlyWiki

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 10, 2007, 12:15:56 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/10/07, Daniel Baird <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Oh, and if you have any other suggestions/ideas, nows the time.
> I want to get this finalized so I can go ahead and release the 'presentation
> style' themes ive been working on!

How about including a little link to author mode in the default public
template?  that would save everyone some hassle trying to get
#author:true to work.

Yeah that might be worth doing. Normally the author mode macro only displays when the TW is started via the #author:true paramifier so that you dont have to worry about taking it out. Not everyone wants such a link visible! ;)

 Perhaps forcing it to display via a param <<author force>> might be a good idea for demonstration purposes.

Simon Baird

Feb 10, 2007, 12:18:10 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/10/07, springer <springer...@gmail.com> wrote:

but in addition to being single-page rather than micro-content
oriented; it's also *linear* (?! OK, you can skip around within "the"
order, but...), so it sets aside yet another core feature that makes
TiddlyWiki *my* tool of choice. So, if anyone's looking for
encouragement to make a tweak that allows tiddlyspot sites like mine
(and most others) to continue to function and look exactly as they do,
MINUS the author-oriented backstage stuff for all but author access
(analogous to the current exploitable difference between http: and
file: access), consider yourself encouraged! : ))

Yep I'm with you on that. I'm love the non-linear/microcontent mojo. My main point in this thread is that author mode/public mode as implemented in " PublisherPlugin" is a Very Good Idea and a nice step toward making TW the absolute best way to create/publish a small web site. The use of SinglePM versus TW style non-linear is a separate question and I don't think it's really a debate, just a "do what suits your purpose best". I think it should be easy to switch on though which is why I suggest support for it in the core.

FND

Feb 10, 2007, 2:12:19 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> I'm really sad about the way my TW runs on Safari. Do you know any
> other tools like BrowserCamp for other OS/browsers?

http://browsershots.org was mentioned before - I haven't tried it myself
yet though.

HTH.

-- F.

Daniel Baird

Feb 10, 2007, 3:23:13 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
OT but: interesting game, Sean. I'd like to know how it plays..

;D

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 10, 2007, 4:26:29 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/10/07, Daniel Baird <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Oh, and if you have any other suggestions/ideas, nows the time.
> I want to get this finalized so I can go ahead and release the 'presentation
> style' themes ive been working on!

How about including a little link to author mode in the default public
template?  that would save everyone some hassle trying to get
#author:true to work.

Daniel, did you mean a button to switch to author mode, or a link to click, with the link having #author:true added to the url?

Daniel Baird

Feb 10, 2007, 10:35:25 AM2/10/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 10/02/07, Saq Imtiaz <lew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > How about including a little link to author mode in the default public
> > template? that would save everyone some hassle trying to get
> > #author:true to work.
>
> Daniel, did you mean a button to switch to author mode, or a link to click,
> with the link having #author:true added to the url?

Either would be ok -- I hadn't thought about a button but that would
probably be best.

Are you gonna tell me that it has that already..?

;D

marc.c...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2007, 12:47:11 PM2/10/07
to TiddlyWiki
I have not read the whole thread, sorry it is too long ... but anyway,
just a few personal comments:

I can't agree more than to say that presentation plugin is the next
killer plugin for TW, I don't know of any other tools to build so
quickly a web site, given you have a template TW + presentation plugin
+ singlepage plugin to use. I took me a while to install, I didn't
really understand how it worked to be honest, but now that I see it
running, I'm really pleased of the result (I will share it soon). It
could truly be a big asset to TW in future version, if it was included
as a base feature of TW. Great work from Saq ..

That's just my thoughts and thanks ..

Marc
http://umibozu.org

On Feb 10, 10:35 am, "Daniel Baird" <danielba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/07, Saq Imtiaz <lew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > How about including a little link to author mode in the default public
> > > template? that would save everyone some hassle trying to get
> > > #author:true to work.
>
> > Daniel, did you mean a button to switch to author mode, or a link to click,
> > with the link having #author:true added to the url?
>
> Either would be ok -- I hadn't thought about a button but that would
> probably be best.
>
> Are you gonna tell me that it has that already..?
>
> ;D
>
> --

> Daniel Bairdhttp://tiddlyspot.com(free, effortless TiddlyWiki hosting)http://danielbaird.com(TiddlyW;nks! :: Whiteboard Koala :: Blog ::
> Things That Suck)

Saq Imtiaz

Feb 11, 2007, 2:25:35 AM2/11/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 2/10/07, Daniel Baird <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/02/07, Saq Imtiaz <lew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > How about including a little link to author mode in the default public
> > template?  that would save everyone some hassle trying to get
> > #author:true to work.
>
> Daniel, did you mean a button to switch to author mode, or a link to click,
> with the link having #author:true added to the url?

Either would be ok -- I hadn't thought about a button but that would
probably be best.

Are you gonna tell me that it has that already..?

No it doesnt, the <<author>> macro does generate such a button but its hidden when not started through the #author:true paramifier. I'm adding a 'force' param to it to force it to always display if so desired.

I liked the idea for the link, but that would only work if it were forced to open in a new window/tab. Otherwise the browser doesnt not interpret it as a change of url.

freewargamesrules

Feb 11, 2007, 4:11:01 PM2/11/07
to TiddlyWiki
Saq,

That works fine now without SingleModePlugin.

Had to reinstate part of the tiddler toolbar so that at least tiddlers
could now be closed other wise it could make the page too big.

Here is the safari compatible version:
http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/beta/beta_mac.html