Hi-Power Cycles: 51.2V LiFePO4 Battery System

Jérôme Daoust

Oct 8, 2008, 12:56:37 AM10/8/08
to Tidal Force

51.2V LiFePO4 High Performance Battery System

The latest and greatest in battery technology! Lightweight, High Quality 51.2V (nominal), Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Packs. LiFePO4 battery packs are the safest and most thermally stable form of lithium packs available for light EV use. They will provide up to 1500-2000 recharge cycles (up to 3-4 times the cycles that LiPo packs will provide) Availiable in 10AH, 15AH, and 20AH configurations! 10AH and 15AH pack feature a battery management system rated to unleash 35A continuous and 50A for 5 minutes. 10AH will provide 30 mile range, 15AH will provide 45 mile range, and 20AH will provide a 60 mile range! Includes High Quality 2 Amp charger.

MEASUREMENTS

10AH pack: 10.2 lbs, (LxWxH) 10.25" x 4.75" x 3.25"
15AH pack: 14.7 lbs, (LxWxH) TBD
20AH pack: 19 lbs, (LxWxH) TBD

SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICING!

10AH- $999
15AH- $1399
20AH- $1799
51V_LiFePO4.jpg

Jerome Daoust

Oct 8, 2008, 1:02:46 AM10/8/08
to TidalForce Forum
It seems that the 15 Ah pack will have about the same energy as the
standard Optibike battery:
51.2V x 15Ah ==> 768 Wh
36V x 23Ah ==> 828 Wh (Opti)

Bike_on

Oct 8, 2008, 12:57:56 PM10/8/08
to TidalForce Forum
Optibike has a 25Ahr battery, but they limit discharge to 23ahr to
extend life.

Gaurenteed to have 1000 cycles.

total Whr/$ : 1000 x 36 x 23 / 1500 = 552

LiFEPO4 :
total Whr/$ : 1750 x 51.2 x 15 / 1400 = 960

(Used ave for cycles)

DR

Jerome Daoust

Oct 8, 2008, 3:13:37 PM10/8/08
to TidalForce Forum
Dan wrote:
> Optibike: total Whr/$ : 1000 cycles x 36 V x 23 Ah / $1500 = 552
> LiFePo4: total Whr/$ : 1750 cycles x 51.2 V x 15 Ah / $1400 = 960

This does put the LiFePo4 at an advantage for longevity. About energy
density...

The 15 Ah pack presented here weighs 6.67 kg (14.7 lb) so:
LiFePo4: 51.2 V x 15 Ah / 6.67 kg ==> 115 Wh/kg

I found the weight of the Opti's battery, from Dan's message in
another topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/Tidalforce/msg/a9e3784b1dfaad4d
> Optibike, LiCo, is 900/6.8 = 132 Wh/kg
> Li-poly 110 Wh/kg
> LiMn 90 Wh/kg
> LiFePO4 about 70 Wh/kg
> NiMH is about 60 Wh/kg
> NiCad 48 Wh/kg
> Pb 38 Wh/kg
> These are general numbers derived from real world battery weight and not high performance lab conditions.

So it seems the energy densities are comparable:
Optibike, LiCo: 36 V x 23 Ah / 6.8 kg ==> 122 Wh/kg

I'm not concerned myself with the cycles: Even the "low" 1000 cycles
of the Optibike would give this 1-2 times/week guy a battery lasting
him 13 years. So other factors would first intervene, and no need for
my battery to last me that long when I expect technology to make it
obsolete in a fraction of the time it will last. But for the commuter
that uses his bike 5 times/week, the life of his battery can affect
the resale value of his ebike when he starts lusting after the new
models.

Another perspective may be to consider that a LiFePo4 battery can
offer more abusive currents and still give a similar life as LiPo or
LiCo

Jerome

Nimbuzz

Oct 11, 2008, 10:42:43 PM10/11/08
to TidalForce Forum
Jerome, excuse me it it's there but I didn't pick up any warranty info
-- do you know?

Thanks,
Al

Jerome Daoust

Oct 11, 2008, 11:09:46 PM10/11/08
to TidalForce Forum
On Oct 11, 7:42 pm, Nimbuzz <mary...@aol.com> wrote:
> Jerome, excuse me it it's there but I didn't pick up any warranty info
> -- do you know?
>
> Thanks,
> Al

I don't know for this battery in particular, but when I asked Chris a
month ago about his warranty policy, he said:
90 days on controller and battery.
1 year on motor.
He also said that it may change (for the better), based on his
evaluation of the new gear.

I'm a believer in extended warranties, and hope he can offer those
eventually.

Nimbuzz

Oct 12, 2008, 4:42:01 PM10/12/08
to TidalForce Forum

Wellll -- Around this forum I don't know who would pay $1,000 for a
battery without a warranty. Several years ago we did and enough of us
got burned in legitmate experiments to be very cautious now. This is
just another Lithium pack with no warranty of a dozen or so now on the
market as far as I can see -- or am I missing something?
Al

Cliff

Oct 12, 2008, 7:18:17 PM10/12/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
From: "Nimbuzz"

> enough of us got burned in legitmate experiments
> to be very cautious now.

This is from the Electric Rider web site:

"After spending a huge amount of money working with several manufacturers
over the last 2 1/2 years, we have very few good packs to show for it. The
majority are garbage."

http://www.electricrider.com/batteries/eonyx.htm

"You are looking at a small sampling of tens of thousands of dollars worth
of LiFePO4 batteries we purchased from several Chinese manufacturers over
the last 2 1/2 years"

100_4772.jpg

Nimbuzz

Oct 12, 2008, 8:07:26 PM10/12/08
to TidalForce Forum
HEY -- On this page there is a banner right
here ----> That says
LiFeBATT LiFePO4
3 Year Warranty/Onboard Diagnostics
3,000 Minimum Life Cycles!
www.lifebatt.com"

But when I go to the link I can't find any info about "Three year
warranty" or "3000 Minimum Life Cycles!?" What gives -- somebody
please help me understand -- I'm starting to cry!!

This factory tour looks VERY promising!