Schwinn Tailwind ebike

Jérôme Daoust

Sep 25, 2008, 1:18:47 PM9/25/08
to Tidal Force
Manufacturer info:
http://www.electricschwinnbikes.com/tailwind/index.html

Revolutionizing transportation.
Truly revolutionary technology doesn't come around every day. That's
why, when we found out about Toshiba's Super Charge ion Battery (SCiB)
technology, we knew we were on to something. With a battery that
charges in less than 30 minutes using the included charger, the
Tailwind is ready to go when you are. No more waiting for your
battery when all you want to do is roll down to the coffee shop for a
cappuccino. We didn't stop with the battery though. The lightweight
aluminum frame and front suspension fork ensure a comfortable ride no
matter where your journey may lead. The Shimano Nexus 8-speed rear
hub is clean and maintenance free, but still gives you the gears to
tackle any terrain.

and from:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/25/schwinn-debuts-toshiba-powered-tailwind-electric-bike/

Schwinn has been pretty big on electric bicycles for some time now,
but it seems to be particularly excited about its new Tailwind bike,
which it says "sets a new standard for the electric bike industry."
That boasting is apparently due in large part to the bike's use of
Toshiba's newfangled Super Charge ion Battery (or SCiB), which has a
promised 30-minute recharge time, or about an eigth of that of
competing bikes. The rest of the bike's specs also look to be up to
Schwinn's usual high standards, and include a Shimano Nexus 8-speed
internal geared rear hub, a brushless motor with 180 watts of
continuous power or 250 watts at peak power, a rear roller brake
system, double wall alloy rims, and Continental Town Ride tires, to
name but a few premium features. Just don't expect any of that to come
cheap, as the bike is set to retail for $3,199 when it hits shops
early next year.

schwinn-tailwind-m3q.jpg

Bike_on

Sep 25, 2008, 1:43:56 PM9/25/08
to TidalForce Forum
Here is the post from Green Congress:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/09/toshiba-scib-li.html#more

On Sep 25, 1:18 pm, "Jérôme Daoust" <eyestothe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Manufacturer info:http://www.electricschwinnbikes.com/tailwind/index.html
>
> Revolutionizing transportation.
> Truly revolutionary technology doesn't come around every day. That's
> why, when we found out about Toshiba's Super Charge ion Battery (SCiB)
> technology, we knew we were on to something. With a battery that
> charges in less than 30 minutes using the included charger, the
> Tailwind is ready to go when you are. No more waiting for your
> battery when all you want to do is roll down to the coffee shop for a
> cappuccino. We didn't stop with the battery though. The lightweight
> aluminum frame and front suspension fork ensure a comfortable ride no
> matter where your journey may lead. The Shimano Nexus 8-speed rear
> hub is clean and maintenance free, but still gives you the gears to
> tackle any terrain.
>
> and from:http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/25/schwinn-debuts-toshiba-powered-tai...
>
> Schwinn has been pretty big on electric bicycles for some time now,
> but it seems to be particularly excited about its new Tailwind bike,
> which it says "sets a new standard for the electric bike industry."
> That boasting is apparently due in large part to the bike's use of
> Toshiba's newfangled Super Charge ion Battery (or SCiB), which has a
> promised 30-minute recharge time, or about an eigth of that of
> competing bikes. The rest of the bike's specs also look to be up to
> Schwinn's usual high standards, and include a Shimano Nexus 8-speed
> internal geared rear hub, a brushless motor with 180 watts of
> continuous power or 250 watts at peak power, a rear roller brake
> system, double wall alloy rims, and Continental Town Ride tires, to
> name but a few premium features. Just don't expect any of that to come
> cheap, as the bike is set to retail for $3,199 when it hits shops
> early next year.
>
> schwinn-tailwind-m3q.jpg
> 46KViewDownload

Cyclepete

Sep 25, 2008, 3:00:11 PM9/25/08
to TidalForce Forum
The new Toshiba SCiB battery technology they are using is awfully
heavy. Their standard module is 100 Wh and weighs 2 kilos ( 4.4 lbs).
I was excited about the fast charge battery until I worked out the
energy density.

Jerome Daoust

Sep 25, 2008, 5:30:06 PM9/25/08
to TidalForce Forum
I lost interest when I read:

slowglass

Sep 25, 2008, 11:37:11 PM9/25/08
to TidalForce Forum

Tor Atle Lunde

Sep 26, 2008, 4:35:44 AM9/26/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Same motor as on the Schwinn Continental, did they ever manage to
produce any of those bikes? This one isn't half as good-looking
though.

Tor Atle

deerfencer1

Sep 26, 2008, 5:53:17 AM9/26/08
to TidalForce Forum
I agree, Tor--the previous models were much slicker than this old fart
machine. Hate those handlebars.

Separately, it was news to me that Cannondale now owns Schwinn--when
did that happen?

And I agree the Toshiba battery is very disappointing power/weight-
wise: 100Wh? Give me a break. Maybe enough to get you to the corner
store and back, but that's it. Maybe their 3Ah cells will be better.

I remain at a loss re Schwinn's continued foray into this segment as
the bikes appear to have some real R&D money behind them and yet the
company seems very non-commital about actually making them available
to the general public. I think our friend Tracy in the Chicago area is
the only member here to have actually seen or ridden one. I live in
the outskirts of the NY metro area and have yet to see any sign of
this bike, despite the fact that Cannondale is headquartered very
close by in Wilton CT. We've heard that most Schwinn dealers don't
seem to show interest in e-bikes, and Schwinn itself appears unwilling
to at least place a demo bike with each dealer. Very odd.

LH

Cyclepete

Sep 26, 2008, 8:31:20 AM9/26/08
to TidalForce Forum
I actually think these bikes, at a much lower price point, could have
wide appeal. A small motor like this, at peak power, can offer
substantial help getting up hills and/or making the ride a little
faster and less sweaty. For people who want to ride at ordinary
bicycle speeds.

100 Wh is enough to assist (not run fully electric) someone for 10-12
miles at 15 mph, which is what these bikes are designed for. Most
people's errands and commutes are well under 10 miles. And since the
battery recharges in 30 minutes, you can easily recharge the bike at
one end of a 10 mile trip and then get back, giving these things a
range of 20 miles for many applications.

So these could be a great second "car" for many people, supporting
them in doing errands, commuting, and short recreational rides.

And I think the look and design is great for this purpose. They are
"stealth" hybrids that looks like an ordinary comfort/hybrid bike.

But my interest was the battery technology. I really want a 400 Wh
battery that weighs about the same as my current Li-ion that could
recharge in 30 minutes. I'd be willing to reduce the capacity or
increase the weight 30% to get the 30 minute charge. Especially with
1000+ cycles. Then I could use my bike for touring and longer trips
and still keep the weight down.

But the weight of these batteries is way too much. But they're great
for those applications where you only need 100 Wh, so I think Schwinn
has found a perfect niche for this technology. Although I wonder how
much of the $3K+ price tag is due to these batteries.

deerfencer1

Sep 26, 2008, 9:00:15 AM9/26/08
to TidalForce Forum
I seriously doubt these bikes as configured would help much on any
significant uphill grade, but agree they could have mass appeal on
college campuses and the like--if Schwinn ever gets around to actually
putting them out in the marketplace.

LH

Bike_on

Sep 30, 2008, 2:56:32 PM9/30/08
to TidalForce Forum
So the energy density of this battery is 50 Wh/kg.

The Optibike battery, LiCo, is 900/6.8 = 132 Wh/kg

Li-poly 110 Wh/kg

LiMn 90 Wh/kg

LiFePO4 about 70 Wh/kg

NiMH is about 60 Wh/kg,

NiCad 48 Wh/kg.

Pb 38 Wh/kg

These are general numbers derived from real world battery weight and
not high performance lab conditions.

Dan