18 Month Diary Coming Apart After 2 Months!

Daly de Gagne

Aug 15, 2006, 2:38:50 PM8/15/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry to report that my 18-month weekly pocket Moleskine is
starting to come apart, with the last pages pulling away from the binder.

There is no way this thing is going to last another two months, never
mind 16.

I wrote yesterday to the American Moleskine supplier but have heard
nothing back.

I am seriously PO'd.

Daly

--
Discuss and learn about David Allen’s Getting Things Done:

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0632-2, 10/08/2006
Tested on: 15/08/2006 1:38:58 PM

Michael G. Ellis CPA

Aug 15, 2006, 2:45:45 PM8/15/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Hearing Back:
If that's Moleskineus.com; I have never received replies from them, have
tried to be on the mailing lost and specials list and even clicked on being
advised when a product comes into stock and never heard
back...............not surprised. If not them, this is my experience above.

Michael G. Ellis CPA

Aug 15, 2006, 2:48:15 PM8/15/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com

If that's Moleskineus.com; I have never received replies from them, have
tried to be on the mailing list and specials list and even clicked on being
advised when a product comes into stock and never heard
back...............not surprised. If not them, this is my experience above.

Anupriyo

Aug 15, 2006, 3:03:24 PM8/15/06
to Moleskinerie
After the first week of using my 18 month planner, the June 26 - July 8
leaves came off the binding. The rest are still holding.

Jim-L

Aug 15, 2006, 8:29:48 PM8/15/06
to Moleskinerie
'tis a pity. I have the 18-month, 5x8 size. After less than one month
use, in a briefcase, not pocket, the cover is warping, elastic band too
loose for any practical use.
I saved the tag -- yep, printed and bound in China.

I think, by next January, I'll return to the Hallmark card stores 6x8
size, with spiral binding shielded by cover. They used to cost about 6
bux.

To stock up on a supply of pocket and larger journals, I may contact my
most recent seller, and offer to buy a quantity, insisting, "only if
they do NOT say 'printed and bound in China.'" My last assorted
purchase, I see some were China, some not.

After that, Clairfontaine.

<deserting sinking ship>

Daly de Gagne

Aug 15, 2006, 8:57:47 PM8/15/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
That's where my post went -- and now that it is more than 24 hours without hearing, I wrote them again just now.

Daly

marcus...@dhl.com

Aug 16, 2006, 4:05:56 AM8/16/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com

I have bought the 18 months diary about 4 weeks ago and immediately
I noticed the rubber band being much looser than on all my other Moleskines.

As Fountain Pen user I don't really like the thin paper of the 18 months diary
as the ink is bleeding through worse than I thought. I have tried a G2 - the ink is
not bleeding through as much but it still shines through as the paper is very
thin.

I had sent an email about 2 weeks ago to in...@modoemodo.com without
reply so far.

I have found another email on their website today and sent the following email
to silvia...@modoemodo.com:

______________________________

Dear Silvia,

I have found your email on the ModoEModo website.

Since I got my first Moleskine Pocket notebook 3 years ago I am absolutely
hooked on them and I use the Pocket notebook small and large, the Cahier
books and recently bought the 18 months diary.

Unfortunately with my last purchase of the 18 months diary I am not so happy
anymore as the paper quality is not what it used to be. Also the rubber band is
much looser than on any other Moleskines  I have. As I use Fountain Pens,
I always had the slight issue with the ink bleeding through the paper. With the
new 18 months diary this problem is much worse. I have tried the change from
my Fountain Pen to an Ink Pen. The Bleeding problem is less but as the
paper seems to be much thinner, it still shines through and I switched back to
my Fountain Pen.

Being a reader of Moleskinerie and other groups online I know I am not the
only one with quality issues with the current Moleskines. I am aware that some
of your production has apparently been relocated to China and the quality
issues seems to have started at the same time.

Over the last few weeks the Moleskine Fan Group has heard that Moleskine
was sold to a French company. We all hope that this does not mean another
step backwards in the quality of our beloved Moleskines.

I appreciate your feedback to get things cleared. Many many fans are
totally upset by the current issues, ie this morning someone reported that
the 18 months diary is starting to falling apart after just 2 months. How can
we believe they are supposed to last 18 months?

Many of us are already looking for replacement for Moleskine if the
current quality issues are not addressed and solved.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Best regards,
Marcus Wommer

______________________________

I will keep you posted should I hear back from them - to be honest I doubt it.

I had a look at Clairefontaine notebooks on their website and I believe this
could be a replacement. But I am not sure of how to get them here locally (Ireland);
I have never seen them in any shops. Any suggestions.

Best regards,
Marcus Wommer

"Daly de Gagne" <daly.d...@gmail.com>
Sent by: Molesk...@googlegroups.com

16/08/2006 01:57
Please respond to Moleskinerie

        To:        Molesk...@googlegroups.com
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: 18 Month Diary Coming Apart After 2 Months!

marcwomm

Aug 16, 2006, 4:05:54 AM8/16/06
to Moleskinerie
I just got an out of office reply, saying that Silvia will be back
in the office on the 21st August.

Will see what happpens then.

Marcus

drew....@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2006, 8:50:46 AM8/16/06
to Moleskinerie
This is quite unfortunate. I'm finally in need of a new moleskine and I
see this :(

I kinda had a feeling with the sale and everything this would happen.

molly

Aug 16, 2006, 3:07:42 PM8/16/06
to Moleskinerie
the ones that do NOT say made in China...do NOT say made anywhere else.

wanna bet that they have been making them in china for a while now and
only recently have had to own up to it.

The Inquisitor

Aug 17, 2006, 5:14:47 PM8/17/06
to Moleskinerie
So does that mean that some of the 18-mo. softcovers were produced in
China and others elswhere? Or at least, some were stated as such and
others not? Is it the same case as with the normal Moleskines.

I bought one about a month ago, the last one in the store, and it's
been fine so far, but I would like to know if it's going to fall apart;
I have a lot of important information in there.

GM

Aug 19, 2006, 1:12:41 PM8/19/06
to Moleskinerie
Mine is coming apart too, which I complained about earlier on
Moleskinerie in the section on the 18mth planner. Not only is the band
loose, the pages are falling out and the book mark is frayed to the
point of breaking up near where it attaches to the spine. I can't think
of what this might be. It's like when you bend cheap metal too many
times and it just falls apart. It's really depressing. The diary was a
great idea, but I'm not paying that much to have what amounts to three
months of use. They've lost my business.

Daly de Gagne

Aug 19, 2006, 3:45:48 PM8/19/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I want to try to get someone from Moleskineus, aka The European Paper Company, on the phone.

Unfortunately, the company only provides a toll free number that does not work in Canada.

Can someone phone that number, and ask for the company's regular number, then post that number?

I will then place a long distance call to the company, and see what I can learn.

Thank you.

Daly

dreamerl...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2006, 12:36:58 PM8/21/06
to Moleskinerie
The 18-month weekly pocket I bought last week doesn't have the "made in
China"-like message, but it has something I never heard people talking
of: in the "Chatwin insert", a quality control number, with a saying to
take a digital photo of problems found and send, along with that
number, to a Modo&Modo e-mail address.

Do the "Printed and bound in China" have this quality control stuff?

dreamerl...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2006, 12:39:54 PM8/21/06
to Moleskinerie

DigiPicker

Aug 21, 2006, 2:07:08 PM8/21/06
to Moleskinerie

My thoughts exactly.

Armand

Aug 22, 2006, 11:33:39 AM8/22/06
to Moleskinerie
Kikkerland Design Inc, US distributors for Moleskine is requesting that
you send them the actual damaged notebooks for replacement.

Kikkerland Design Inc.
423-427 West 127th Street
New York, NY 10027.

Tel: 212-678-2250

For those outside the U.S., please contact your local distributor.

Kindly furnish photos (full shot and macros of damage area) to us at
Moleskinerie <molesk...@gmail.com> so we can post them online with
your name/GoogleGroups address.

Daly de Gagne

Aug 22, 2006, 11:39:44 AM8/22/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Kikkerland is one of the companies that replied to me, as noted in previous posts.

My understanding was that Moleskineus in Boulder was the American distributor, and that Kikkerland was the Canadian distributor, although it is based in New York. Are there two US distributors?

I would gladly send examples of books to Kikkerland, except there is confidential material written in them. I will see if I can find the notebook that separated from the cover when I first opened -- I may have thrown it out at the time; I do not recall.

Daly

jcc

Aug 22, 2006, 1:49:01 PM8/22/06
to Moleskinerie

I don't think that they were made in China before. Aren't companies
required BY LAW to state the origin of the products sold in the U.S.?
If so, it means that the older books were made in Italy.

The Inquisitor

Aug 23, 2006, 3:26:18 PM8/23/06
to Moleskinerie
The stock of the older notebooks is essentially gone. I've been to two
bookstores and I found a grand total of one not Chinese-made notebook.