Florida: Loyalty Lawsuit Rocks the Supremes - Spawned by Invalid Oaths

Bob Hurt

Nov 2, 2006, 5:26:28 PM11/2/06
to Bob Hurt

Florida:  Loyalty Lawsuit Rocks the Supremes - Spawned by Invalid Oaths

North Central Florida local officials scramble to respond to Antolic lawsuit filed in Florida Supreme Court

Petition demands disqualification of all candidates and incarceration of elected officials for invalid oaths, false oaths, and impersonation

31 October 2006, Talahassee Florida Gainesville Florida Paralegal Tayra Antolick filed a petition (attached hereto) in the Florida Supreme Court, seeking a writ of mandamus to disqualify all candidates in the 7 November 2006 elections on the basis of invalid loyalty and employment oaths, and to arrest oath violators under Florida Statutes 876.05 (public employee oath) et seq and 99.021 (candidate oath).   The petition alleges that elected officials throughout the state have committee felony crimes by swearing false oaths and impersonating public officers, and seeks an order to Florida Secretary of State Sue Cobb to disqualify all candidates for elected office for having defective, and therefore non-existent, oaths.

The oath statutes 876.05 and 99.021 require that all public (government) employees and candidates in the state of Florida swear an oath of loyalty to support the US and Florida Contstitutions, and asserting that they have qualified for their offices.  Candidates and public employees must acknowledge the oath before a person duly authorized to take acknowledgments, like a notary.  Thus, a notary, judge, or clerk must sign the oath document or an attachment thereto attesting to the acknowledgment.  Public employees must take an oath properly prior to drawing a first paycheck from the government.

Fellow legal researcher and We The People Congress supporter Bob Hurt of Clearwater, Fla., discovered during the summer that most elected officials and all candidates for state and local offices who have sworn oaths in compliance with 876.05 have failed to do so before a notary, opting instead to execute the oath under “penalty of perjury” while violating the statute by omitting the notary signature.

Hurt explained that elected officials have violated the false oath statute by swearing in the employee oath that they had qualified for the position.  According to Hurt, they could not have qualified because they did not have a lawful candidate’s oath on record.  He also said that their service in the elected position constituted a violation of the statute penalizing impersonation of a public employee.  Both violations constitute 3rd degree felonies (see Florida Statutes 95.525(3).

When interviewed, Hurt had little public comment other than to say “I see every elected official in the state as a double felon.  Our public officials seem to scoff at the law and have little respect for the Constitution they claim to support.” Hurt said he reported the violations to the Attorney General and Deputy Chief Counsel Sharon Larson of the Florida Department of State’s (DOS) Division of Elections, but neither group took any remedial action, and candidate oath forms on the Department of State web site still show the invalid oath forms.  Larson did point out, however, that the oath signed by DOS employees bears a jurat.

Antolick discovered even more egregious oath violations.  She began her research into the issue as a result of what she considered high-handed and unlawful behavior by her county’s code enforcement officials.  In pursuing justice, she obtained copies of oaths for county officials.  Her findings astonished her.  The records showed that some public employees had no oaths at all, and many had no awareness that their jobs required them to swear or affirm a loyalty oath..

In the interview about her discovery, Antolick explained that when Gainesville area local government officials learned of her investigation, they scurried to have notaries take their acknowledgments of newly sworn oaths, so as to comply with law.  She said she believe most Putnam county officials now have properly acknowledged oaths, and that their scramble proves they had invalid oaths all along.  Some had up to 20 years of employment with the government, and had no oath on record.  When asked what tasks lay before her to expose those shocking violations of law, Antolick said “Tomorrow I have to make over 3000 copies of the evidence and serve copies of the lawsuit on thirteen parties, including the Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Tax Collectors of six counties, and the Putnam County  Sheriff, Clerk, and Property Appraiser.”

Antolick said that she bears all the costs of the lawsuit, evidence duplication, mailing, and transportation.  “The expense could top $1000,” she asserted when expressing concern over her meager financial resources to cover the costs of filing this action on behalf of fellow Floridians.  “I just want our public officials to obey the most important law in our state, the one requiring them to make a firm, verifiable commitment to support our constitutions,” she explained.  “I want public employees to comply with oath laws, and then support the constitution and protect our rights as the oath requires.  They spare no expense if making us obey the law, want them to obey it too.”

Antolick and Hurt believe the oath issue warrants any necessary remedial action because it challenges the proof of the trustworthiness and integrity of public servants who exercise government authority.  According to Hurt, “The Constitution provides the only guarantee that government employees will not abuse their power by wrongfully assuming and wielding authority they do not have.  That makes the constitutional requirements for loyalty oaths the most important laws on the books.  Even voters must sign a loyalty oath because through their votes they wield governing power.”

Hurt explained that citizens find it virtually impossible to make public officials obey their oaths, particularly in the judicial branch, and most particularly in states like Florida that have no uniform bonding legislation to impose financial penalties on oath violators.  “Now, citizens have to file lawsuits in order to make code enforcers take an oath properly,” he said.  “Like most Floridians, I don’t trust people in government because they find it so easy to abuse their power.  So, before hiring them to serve me, I want to see a written, credibly witnessed, solemn promise that they will protect my constitutionally guaranteed rights.  That’s what the oath laws seek to accomplish.  And that’s why I want Tayra Antolick to prevail in this case. “

Hurt also claims that the scofflaw attitude about oaths among public employees prior to 2000 led anonymous Florida policymakers to a change in the various loyalty oath forms at all levels of government.  “Public employees found it just too bothersome to have to round up a notary to witness their oath acknowledgments, so some bigwig promulgated the false idea that public employees and candidates could dispense with notaries and sign oaths under penalty of perjury instead.  I feel certain more than one policymaker stands culpable of a conspiracy that has now led to this Supreme Otherwise, Florida’s oath laws constitute a sham, and public.  I look forward to finding the culprits in my investigation.”

Antolick credits Hurt with legal research for the lawsuit.  She said “[without Hurt’s being] diligent in research and in sharing the results with all of us, the Petition would not have been written.”  Hurt maintains an educational mailing list to which he posts his research results.  Anyone may join to stay informed and learn how to encourage righteousness in government by sending email to Lawmen-s...@googlegroups.com.

Antolick says that her lawsuit has brought sadness and disappointment to her personal life because of disparaging remarks from past friends and associates.  One belittled her in an open letter, and one even accused her of anarchy.  She has penned a written response to her detractors (see references below, names redacted for privacy), explaining that “The law is what the Florida legislature tells its creatures to obey.  Without that obedience, the people are damaged and there is anarchy.”

Antolick said she has not engaged an attorney to represent her in the case, and that she will gladly accept donations from others who support her efforts to bring honesty and lawfulness to government.   Supporters of Antolick’s efforts can send donations in the form of blank (no payee name) money orders or currency wrapped in aluminum foil to the following address:

            Oath Support

            113 Acre Road

Hawthorn, FL 32640

Interested parties may reach Tayra Antolick for comment at (352) 481-3130, and Bob Hurt at (727) 669-5511.

# # #

Constitution for the United States of America,  Article VI [Legal Status of Constitution]

Clause 2: This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

Clause 3: The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Constituiton for the State of Florida, Article II SECTION 5.  Public officers.--

 (b)  Each state and county officer, before entering upon the duties of the office, shall give bond as required by law, and shall swear or affirm:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, protect, and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States and of the State of Florida; that I am duly qualified to hold office under the Constitution of the state; and that I will well and faithfully perform the duties of  (title of office)  on which I am now about to enter. So help me God.",

and thereafter shall devote personal attention to the duties of the office, and continue in office until a successor qualifies.

Constituiton for the State of Florida, ARTICLE VI Suffrage and Elections SECTION 3.  Oath.—

Each eligible citizen upon registering shall subscribe the following: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will protect and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Florida, and that I am qualified to register as an elector under the Constitution and laws of the State of Florida."

Florida Statutes

99.021  Form of candidate oath.--

(1)(a)  Each candidate, whether a party candidate, a candidate with no party affiliation, or a write-in candidate, in order to qualify for nomination or election to any office other than a judicial office as defined in chapter 105, shall take and subscribe to an oath or affirmation in writing. A printed copy of the oath or affirmation shall be furnished to the candidate by the officer before whom such candidate seeks to qualify and shall be substantially in the following form:

State of Florida
County of_____

Before me, an officer authorized to administer oaths, personally appeared  (please print name as you wish it to appear on the ballot) , to me well known, who, being sworn, says that he or she is a candidate for the office of _____; that he or she is a qualified elector of _____ County, Florida; that he or she is qualified under the Constitution and the laws of Florida to hold the office to which he or she desires to be nominated or elected; that he or she has taken the oath required by ss. 876.05-876.10, Florida Statutes; that he or she has qualified for no other public office in the state, the term of which office or any part thereof runs concurrent with that of the office he or she seeks; and that he or she has resigned from any office from which he or she is required to resign pursuant to s. 99.012, Florida Statutes.

 (Signature of candidate)

 (Address)

Sworn to and subscribed before me this _____ day of _____,  (year) , at _____ County, Florida.

 (Signature and title of officer administering oath)

876.05 Public employees; oath.--

(1)  All persons who now or hereafter are employed by or who now or hereafter are on the payroll of the state, or any of its departments and agencies, subdivisions, counties, cities, school boards and districts of the free public school system of the state or counties, or institutions of higher learning, and all candidates for public office, are required to take an oath before any person duly authorized to take acknowledgments of instruments for public record in the state in the following form:

I, _____, a citizen of the State of Florida and of the United States of America, and being employed by or an officer of _____ and a recipient of public funds as such employee or officer, do hereby solemnly swear or affirm that I will support the Constitution of the United States and of the State of Florida.

(2)  Said oath shall be filed with the records of the governing official or employing governmental agency prior to the approval of any voucher for the payment of salary, expenses, or other compensation.

876.06 Discharge for refusal to execute.—

If any person required by ss. 876.05-876.10 to take the oath herein provided for fails to execute the same, the governing authority under which such person is employed shall cause said person to be immediately discharged, and his or her name removed from the payroll, and such person shall not be permitted to receive any payment as an employee or as an officer where he or she was serving.

876.07 Oath as prerequisite to qualification for public office.—

Any person seeking to qualify for public office who fails or refuses to file the oath required by this act shall be held to have failed to qualify as a candidate for public office, and the name of such person shall not be printed on the ballot as a qualified candidate.

876.08 Penalty for not discharging.

Any governing authority or person, under whom any employee is serving or by whom employed who shall knowingly or carelessly permit any such employee to continue in employment after failing to comply with the provisions of ss. 876.05-876.10, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

876.09  Scope of law.

(1)  The provisions of ss. 876.05-876.10 shall apply to all employees and elected officers of the state, including the Governor and constitutional officers and all employees and elected officers of all cities, towns, counties, and political subdivisions, including the educational system.

(2)  This act shall take precedence over all laws relating to merit, and of civil service law.

876.10  False oath; penalty.—

If any person required by the provisions of ss. 876.05-876.10 to execute the oath herein required executes such oath, and it is subsequently proven that at the time of the execution of said oath said individual was guilty of making a false statement in said oath, he or she shall be guilty of perjury.

92.50  Oaths, affidavits, and acknowledgments; who may take or administer; requirements.--

(1)  IN THIS STATE.--Oaths, affidavits, and acknowledgments required or authorized under the laws of this state (except oaths to jurors and witnesses in court and such other oaths, affidavits and acknowledgments as are required by law to be taken or administered by or before particular officers) may be taken or administered by or before any judge, clerk, or deputy clerk of any court of record within this state, including federal courts, or before any United States commissioner or any notary public within this state. The jurat, or certificate of proof or acknowledgment, shall be authenticated by the signature and official seal of such officer or person taking or administering the same; however, when taken or administered before any judge, clerk, or deputy clerk of a court of record, the seal of such court may be affixed as the seal of such officer or person.

92.525  Verification of documents; perjury by false written declaration, penalty.--

(1)  When it is authorized or required by law, by rule of an administrative agency, or by rule or order of court that a document be verified by a person, the verification may be accomplished in the following manner:

(a)  Under oath or affirmation taken or administered before an officer authorized under s. 92.50 to administer oaths; or

(b)  By the signing of the written declaration prescribed in subsection (2).

(2)  A written declaration means the following statement: "Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have read the foregoing [document] and that the facts stated in it are true," followed by the signature of the person making the declaration, except when a verification on information or belief is permitted by law, in which case the words "to the best of my knowledge and belief" may be added. The written declaration shall be printed or typed at the end of or immediately below the document being verified and above the signature of the person making the declaration.

(3)  A person who knowingly makes a false declaration under subsection (2) is guilty of the crime of perjury by false written declaration, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(4)  As used in this section:

(a)  The term "administrative agency" means any department or agency of the state or any county, municipality, special district, or other political subdivision.

(b)  The term "document" means any writing including, without limitation, any form, application, claim, notice, tax return, inventory, affidavit, pleading, or paper.

(c)  The requirement that a document be verified means that the document must be signed or executed by a person and that the person must state under oath or affirm that the facts or matters stated or recited in the document are true, or words of that import or effect.

843.0855  Criminal actions under color of law or through use of simulated legal process.--

(1)  As used in this section:

 (b)  The term "person" means an individual, public or private group incorporated or otherwise, legitimate or illegitimate legal tribunal or entity, informal organization, official or unofficial agency or body, or any assemblage of individuals.

(c)  The term "public officer" means a public officer as defined by s. 112.061.

(d)  The term "public employee" means a public employee as defined by s. 112.061.

(2)  Any person who deliberately impersonates or falsely acts as a public officer or tribunal, public employee or utility employee, including, but not limited to, marshals, judges, prosecutors, sheriffs, deputies, court personnel, or any law enforcement authority in connection with or relating to any legal process affecting persons and property, or otherwise takes any action under color of law against persons or property, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Open letter from Leo Wadeson, Denouncing Tayra Antolick