Websites using gwt ?

rkt

Feb 19, 2007, 9:57:16 PM2/19/07
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm evaluating the use of GWT for one of our production apps. However
after 2 hours of search I haven't found a single web application
(outside google) which uses GWT already. Is it too early for anyone to
use GWT ?

I'm looking for apps which have feature rich UI and/or apps which
pleasant to look at.

BTW I assumed that Google webapps are not written in GWT. If thats not
true and if someone has a list of google apps written in GWT please
let me know.

Thanks in advance,
rkt

Mark Volkmann

Feb 19, 2007, 10:38:36 PM2/19/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 19, 2007, at 8:57 PM, rkt wrote:

> I'm evaluating the use of GWT for one of our production apps. However
> after 2 hours of search I haven't found a single web application
> (outside google) which uses GWT already.

I'm keeping a list of them. See http://www.ociweb.com/mark/
GWT.html#WhoIsUsingIt for the ones I know about so far. Kids Klogs
looks particularly well done.

rusty

Feb 19, 2007, 10:44:53 PM2/19/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hey,

My company has been using GWT since almost day 1. So far we are
working on (or have finished):
- A large scale, interactive site, completely written in GWT
- Several web sites with GWT components integrated into them

There are, as always in a new technology, things to be wary of and
little things that catch you out, but overall we have been very
impressed with GWT. I would recommend you take a good long look at
what you need to do, and if you really need AJAX (if it makes the
users life easier) and you want to do more than just the real basics
(change some inner HTML), then I would highly recommend using GWT. For
us it has been a lifesaver, because no more do we have to hack cross-
browser Javascript (*yuck*)

Rusty

Mark Volkmann

Feb 19, 2007, 10:52:09 PM2/19/07
On Feb 19, 2007, at 9:44 PM, rusty wrote:

> Hey,
>
> My company has been using GWT since almost day 1. So far we are
> working on (or have finished):
> - A large scale, interactive site, completely written in GWT
> - Several web sites with GWT components integrated into them

Anything we can look at or are these for internal applications?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Amith

Feb 20, 2007, 12:30:53 AM2/20/07
to Google Web Toolkit
I am designing a simple search engine; I haven't released it yet...
U can see an incomplete beta version at

www.spotdue.com/beta

Please put ur comments and suggestion below

jeremi joslin

Feb 20, 2007, 3:28:16 AM2/20/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com

dgirard

Feb 20, 2007, 5:13:31 AM2/20/07
to Google Web Toolkit

www.netthreads.co.uk

Feb 20, 2007, 3:36:41 PM2/20/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Get yourself over to www.gwtpowered.org

Mine: www.gtraffic.info

Al

Luciano Broussal

Feb 20, 2007, 3:48:38 PM2/20/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi rkt ,

Mine at http:www.gwtwindowmanager.org.

On Feb 20, 9:36 pm, "www.netthreads.co.uk"
<alistair.rutherf...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Get yourself over towww.gwtpowered.org

rusty

Feb 20, 2007, 6:12:57 PM2/20/07
to Google Web Toolkit
There is only one site that I can point you to, and I've emailed it to
you. I didn't want to post it here because our client does their own
hosting, and I don't know what the effect on their bandwidth would be
if I posted it here.

The other large GWT project that we are working on is pretty
sensitive, which is a shame because it's (IMHO) a beautiful and
functional site. Our design team went to town with it, and unlike most
GWT implementations I've seen it doesn't use the default Google CSS.
When we finally release it, then I will post a link to it here, but
that's many months away.

Rusty

Olostan

Feb 21, 2007, 5:50:48 AM2/21/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello.

> I'm looking for apps which have feature rich UI and/or apps which
> pleasant to look at.

I've started work on transforming my search portal into GWT-based
service. For now I am amazed how easy it going though I am trying to
make very flexible architecture (for example, my grid table with
results supports any type of columns - they are self-rendered,
external pager control etc).

Though I haven't released it to public usage, you can see it here:
http://look.org.ua:8180/GWTHistoryTest/GWTHistoryTest.html

WBR,
Shybanov Valentyn
http://olostan.org.ua/
ICQ: 130085977

showlong

Feb 21, 2007, 1:04:02 PM2/21/07
to Google Web Toolkit

We use GWT as our main portion of applicaion:
http://70.97.166.114:81/xphoto/

siddii

Feb 21, 2007, 3:11:00 PM2/21/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Here is another one http://www.TheRandomHomepage.com

siddii

Feb 21, 2007, 3:12:47 PM2/21/07
to Google Web Toolkit

scott.e...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2007, 6:51:14 PM2/21/07
to Google Web Toolkit
rkt writes:

> BTW I assumed that Google webapps are not written in GWT.

I posted the following to the OCJUG mailing list on January 2. About
the only change I would make now is to add in a comment on how the
recent open sourcing indicates our ongoing commitment Google has. I
am not on the GWT team, but I am pretty stoked on the product.

[And now we listen to Scott from January.]

Hi, all - sorry for the delay, but I wanted to run this by our press
dept to make sure that my comments were reasonable.

GWT is being used internally at Google.

Google Checkout and Google Base are both public facing GWT apps that
have made it out, and there are others under development. Further, we
are investing in GWT development, as evinced by the Googler presence
on the GWT mailing lists, and the pace of change in the toolkit.

I can put in my personal perspective on why I have championed GWT for
various projects here at Google. These are just my opinions, not
Google public statements, but I suspect that other teams have used it
for similar reasons.

I do not love javascript, nor am I wedded to AJAX. I prefer Java as a
language for many server side projects, though not all Java is good.
For example, I believe SOAP to be overly engineered, overly complex,
and overly tedious to use across platforms and languages. (This is
based on my experience in a former life integrating Java, C#, and Perl
code via SOAP. Not the way of joy.)

Web applications do have an important place, and users want
interactivity. Google has to create those applications, and thus we
have to build, buy, or help outsiders develop tools that will let us
do so, in the way that most helps our users. (I know, every company
says that. From where I sit, though, it is not optional - users want
those rich apps, and they want them distributed, interactive, and
collaborative.)

So, why isn't <your favorite google app> written in GWT? Maturity and
time.

The toolkit is still pretty young, and features are getting added with
each release. Since rebuilding an existing app requires substantial
engineering effort, we need to see a payoff, either in usability,
speed, or functionality. Then, we need to port all of the existing
features that do not exist in the toolkit. That is not cheap, and
thus every app manager has to evaluate whether this is a good idea.
For an existing app, the cost is high, so it will take a while. For a
new app, or one that has no AJAXy features, on the other hand, the win
is clearer, and it is more likely to happen.

In summary, GWT lets us work with a familiar paradigm, but gives the
user better results than than plain server side Java has classically
given. Further, it lets us spend our time on business logic, rather
than browser-specific AJAX work.

This is a big win.

Scott

--
Scott Ellsworth
scott_e...@alumni.hmc.edu

Google Irvine is hiring Java developers. The toolset used depends on
the project, but we do interesting things in interesting ways. Drop
me a line if you are interested.

'The barbarian is thwarted at the moat - Scott Adams.'