Android 1.6 available for ADP1

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 29, 2009, 7:38:12 AM9/29/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
A system image for Android 1.6 for ADP1 devices is now available for
download at HTC's site. Enjoy!

Note that the radio image is the same as was used for 1.5, so if you
already have 1.5 with the matching radio code you don't need to
reflash it.

HTC's site: http://www.htc.com/www/support/android/adp.html

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Teck Choon Giam

Sep 29, 2009, 8:27:08 AM9/29/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Thanks JBQ for the information!

sime

Sep 29, 2009, 8:50:37 AM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Upgraded from 1.5 to 1.6 using the Recovery Image without an issue.

Many thanks.

t0mg

Sep 29, 2009, 9:06:05 AM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
at last!!! Thanx :D

t0mg

tszming

Sep 29, 2009, 9:41:38 AM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hey JBQ,

On Sep 29, 7:38 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> A system image for Android 1.6 for ADP1 devices is now available for
> download at HTC's site. Enjoy!

Appreciate your time and effort on this.

Thanks

Gary Kramlich

Sep 29, 2009, 12:22:40 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Update went fine, however, the market place doesn't work anymore. Any
pointers?

Arthur!!

Sep 29, 2009, 12:31:48 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Update with system-image went well and seems to work OK post reboot
but Google-dependent apps like Gmail and Calendar and Market can't
start up anymore, and I can't get to the data synchronization part of
Settings. Note that I erased the cache but not the userdata partition
during the update so as not to reinstall everything.

Any suggestions? Everything else works fine - incl 3rd party apps like
Facebook, Shazam et al

Arthur Chai

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 29, 2009, 12:52:21 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like something might be wrong - I've been hearing such reports
from different sources.

JBQ

Arthur!!

Sep 29, 2009, 12:59:37 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Checking through Settings-Applications, I see many if not most of the
com.android.* and com.google.android.* components reporting 0 bytes
and generating an "Application Not Installed" error when selected.

Right now, the web version of Gmail and GCal works fine on the browser
but I have no access to the Market!

Arthur

Andrew

Sep 29, 2009, 1:09:55 PM9/29/09
On Sep 29, 6:52 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> Sounds like something might be wrong - I've been hearing such reports
> from different sources.

Well at least I am not the only one :-(

I flashed (from 1.5) the radio (just to be sure) and fastbooted the
system image without any problems using Ubuntu.
I noticed that I got 5MB RAM extra?!? Maybe all the Google Apps caches
got deleted by the update process?
In Google Market I can see the Term of Service flash on the screen
before the program, like GMail and Contacts, terminates without any
warning.
Tomorrow I will be able to provide some logs if needed.

Andrew (Denmark)

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 29, 2009, 1:13:25 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
We've identified the problem, but very unfortunately for the people
who flashed already this is probably going to be unrecoverable without
a factory reset. Very very very sorry about the confusion.

We'll have new images available asap (could take a day because of the
time difference with HTC).

In the meantime, people who aren't willing to wipe data now (and to
wipe again when new images are available) should NOT flash 1.6.

JBQ

pomacster

Sep 29, 2009, 1:22:55 PM9/29/09
On tis, 2009-09-29 at 10:13 -0700, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
> We've identified the problem, but very unfortunately for the people
> who flashed already this is probably going to be unrecoverable without
> a factory reset. Very very very sorry about the confusion.
>
> We'll have new images available asap (could take a day because of the
> time difference with HTC).
>
> In the meantime, people who aren't willing to wipe data now (and to
> wipe again when new images are available) should NOT flash 1.6.

I find it odd that calendar and google maps works just fine here...
Flashed using recovery image.

C.Martin

Sep 29, 2009, 6:00:15 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Yeah, I used the 1.5 radio and the 1.6 recovery and it worked swell.
Calendar works, market, new camera, gmail... I'm not having any
problems yet. But thanks for scaring the living crap out of me JBQ! I
read your warning not to flash... right after I did!

On Sep 29, 1:22 pm, pomacster <pomacs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On tis, 2009-09-29 at 10:13 -0700, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
>
> > We've identified the problem, but very unfortunately for the people
> > who flashed already this is probably going to be unrecoverable without
> > a factory reset. Very very very sorry about the confusion.
>
> > We'll have new images available asap (could take a day because of the
> > time difference with HTC).
>
> > In the meantime, people who aren't willing to wipe data now (and to
> > wipe again when new images are available) should NOT flash 1.6.
>
> I find it odd that calendar and google maps works just fine here...
> Flashed using recovery image.
>

> > JBQ

Brady

Sep 29, 2009, 6:51:06 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
The update worked for me but Google Account related apps failed
(Calendar, Gmail, Market). The factory reset was a hassle but it
worked.

kristgy

Sep 30, 2009, 4:43:28 AM9/30/09

On Sep 30, 12:00 am, "C.Martin" <troglo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Calendar works, market, new camera, gmail... I'm not having any
> problems yet. But thanks for scaring the living crap out of me JBQ! I

I guess the results depend on weather or not you wipe old user data
during the upgrade, since the problem is that new google apps signed
with the wrong keys can not access the old configuration data of the
apps signed with the right key.

I wiped old user data during upgrade and can run calendar, market,
camera. I would thus experience the problem the next time I would
upgrade without wiping user data.

Did you wipe old data during upgrade?

kristgy

Sep 30, 2009, 5:00:40 AM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating

I am not sure if this issue is related or not, but I can not configure
my Access Point.

When I go to Settings->Wireless controls->Mobile networks->Access
Point Names,
I am greated with an empty list (I wiped old user data during
upgrade). I press MENU and "New APN", and fill in the information.

If I leave the MCC and MNC values at default, I can the hit MENU and
"save" and my newly configured access point appears in the list.

If, however, I change either MCC or MNC from their default values,
when I hit "save" I am returned to an empty list.

Troglodad

Sep 30, 2009, 6:42:54 AM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Nope, i didn't wipe anything, i alt+s to install 1.5 radio, rebooted,
then alt+l alt+s to install recovery. Maybe the recovery image is
okay?

Brooks Knight

Sep 29, 2009, 11:47:05 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
i am in the middle of my update, All i need to do is press Home +
Back. I don't really want to wipe everything. Can I cancel the update?

Teck Choon Giam

Sep 29, 2009, 11:49:37 PM9/29/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
I encountered googlepartnersetup related force close. Anyway, restore
from backup (revert back to 1.5) and waiting for the right 1.6
firmware... ...

Brooks Knight

Sep 30, 2009, 12:09:17 AM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I just updated and have no problems. I seem to have all my Google
apps, and contacts.

Evolve

Sep 30, 2009, 3:14:26 AM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hello JBQ,

Thanks for the good work. I updated 1.5 to 1.6 yesterday (hopefully
after the new file upload). But It gives google partners error and
force close at start up in com.google.andropid.partnersetup. And the
few applications including this partnersetup is 0 kb. However
everything else works perfectly (Market, Browser, Google talk, mails
etc).

As you have mentioned that you guys have identified the problem and
new release is coming but you also mentioned it is unrecoverable
without factory reset. I am a bit worried as I am not sure what
factory reset is and how can I do that and what would I loose with
factory reset.

Please keep up great work.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 30, 2009, 7:49:33 AM9/30/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Just so that you know, you can to a factory reset from recovery (i.e.
keep the home key pressed while booting), the key combo is alt-w.

Unfortunately you're going to lose all your installed applications and
their data in the process. Everything that is saved on your SD card
will be preserved.

We're very very sorry about the annoyance.
JBQ

Troglodad

Sep 30, 2009, 8:46:46 AM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I got the google partnersetup force close as well- not sure what it
is, but all contacts, calendar, etc work fine.

peos

Sep 30, 2009, 12:14:05 PM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
like Brooks Knight, I'm at the same point of 1.6 update. The only step
I have not done yet is to reboot with the Home+Back keys. Is there any
chance for me to rollback the update and prevent the factory reset?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 30, 2009, 12:21:39 PM9/30/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Yes, kinda. Pull the battery, and flash the old version back before
you reboot. If you can't flash with recovery, you'll be able to do it
with fastboot.

JBQ

peos

Sep 30, 2009, 1:23:17 PM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Well, I think now my phone is screwed up.

I pulled the battery and when I inserted it again the phone started to
boot. I pressed the BACK key to enter fastboot. The phone booted to
the screen where I have to insert the pin. After I inserted my pin,
the fastboot screen was displaed. I installed the 1.5 image using
fastboot and after reboot I get now the message "The process
android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly" and all icons of my
installed apps are gone from the home screen.

Any suggestions?

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Sep 30, 2009, 1:32:18 PM9/30/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you rebooted all the way to the system first (where you
had to enter your pin), and then downgraded your system to 1.5, which
is sure to cause major issues and require to wipe data (like all
downgrades do).

JBQ

peos

Sep 30, 2009, 1:46:50 PM9/30/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
ok. "Thanks alot"

Evolve

Oct 1, 2009, 7:26:05 AM10/1/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating

Hello,

Do i need to make sure of anything before i do factory reset?

Like any unlock code or any pin etc? I dont have any type of pin or
passwords except google password.

Further, will factory reset and re flashing 1.6 solve the google
partners force close issue ?

Your help is greatly appriciated.

Evolve

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 1, 2009, 8:07:02 AM10/1/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Unless you've explicitly set a PIN on your SIM card, you won't need
any kind of unlock code. I think that you'll need a SIM in the device.
You'll need to sign in with your google account.

JBQ

Evolve

Oct 1, 2009, 10:38:25 AM10/1/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating

Ok. I will give a try to factory reset as adviced by you. But can you
confirm that current images (1.6) are now ok to download and flash ?

Thanks again.

<>

Oct 1, 2009, 10:55:14 AM10/1/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
After doing a factory reset, I haven't had any issues with 1.6 at all, and I downloaded and used the following still up on htc's site:

radio image - ota-radio-2_22_19_26I.zip (checksum aeecdb49b74a0d4bb67f9d8af70c1889)
recovery image (i didn't do the fastboot method) - signed-dream_devphone_userdebug-ota-14721.zip (checksum b3e12b004c155761a10b1a848288e0c3)

From About phone:
Model number: Android Dev Phone 1
Firmware version: 1.6
Baseband version: 62.50S.20.17H_2.22.19.26I
Kernel version: 2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37 (android build@apa26 #19)
Build number: dream_devphone-userdebug 1.6 DRC83 14721 test-keys

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Oct 1, 2009, 1:52:07 PM10/1/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
I confirm that the current images are the correct ones.

See http://groups.google.com/group/Android-DevPhone-Updating/browse_thread/thread/5b7c52f40d91d2ef
for more details.

JBQ

Evolve

Oct 2, 2009, 7:42:25 AM10/2/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
ok.

Thanks very much. The factory rest worked fine .. flashed 1.6 worked
fine now without the google partners error. So all well. No wifi here
so will check market and other applications after few hours and
update.

Thanks for the help JBQ. Highly appriciated.