TiddlyWiki <-> MediaWiki

Davide Pasca

May 1, 2007, 4:10:52 AM5/1/07
to TiddlyWiki
I use TiddlyWiki as a notebook to take notes at conferences, meeting
etc. However I eventually need to report many of those info in the
company's wiki running on MediaWiki.

My question is.. is there any way to use MediaWiki syntax ?

It would also be very nice to have:
* some sort of sub-tiddlers (to translate hierarchy to MW)
* separate text file for the contents (for possible external process
to translate into MW syntax)

Is there any plan to implement those things ? I saw similar request
before but I don't remember being able to find a precise answer.

Thank you in advance,
Davide

FND

May 1, 2007, 4:24:28 AM5/1/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> is there any way to use MediaWiki syntax ?

This has recently been discussed in the "Alternate formatter plugins"
thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/TiddlyWiki/browse_thread/thread/b016763689ad36ea/657edbd998a6dc2b
(http://tinyurl.com/2n4mn2)

In fact, I'd promised Martin I'd do some testing, but I haven't gotten
around to it yet - so if you'd test that anyway... ... ...

> It would also be very nice to have:
> * some sort of sub-tiddlers (to translate hierarchy to MW)

You could use tags for that; look into TagglyTagging
(http://mptw.tiddlyspot.com/#TagglyTaggingPlugin).

> * separate text file for the contents (for possible external process
> to translate into MW syntax)

If you look at the TW source code, you will see that all tiddlers are
stored in the form
at the end of the file.
Should be easy to process with an XML parser.
However, you might also want to look into IncludePlugin
(http://tiddlywiki.abego-software.de/#IncludePlugin).

HTH.

-- F.

Davide Pasca

May 1, 2007, 8:25:46 AM5/1/07
to TiddlyWiki
On May 1, 5:24 pm, FND <Ace_No...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > is there any way to use MediaWiki syntax ?
>
> This has recently been discussed in the "Alternate formatter plugins"
> thread:http://groups.google.com/group/TiddlyWiki/browse_thread/thread/b01676...

> (http://tinyurl.com/2n4mn2)
>
> In fact, I'd promised Martin I'd do some testing, but I haven't gotten
> around to it yet - so if you'd test that anyway... ... ...

Nice, I'll have to try that !

> > It would also be very nice to have:
> > * some sort of sub-tiddlers (to translate hierarchy to MW)
>
> You could use tags for that; look into TagglyTagging
> (http://mptw.tiddlyspot.com/#TagglyTaggingPlugin).

Tagging is definitely more flexible, but good old hierarchy would be
nice..
I guess I also like the fact that MediaWiki builds a Table of Contents
automatically and that one can edit individual sub-sections of a page.
It would be a bit as if TiddlyWiki would split tiddles as one starts
putting large headings into one tiddle.
...but then it would pretty much become MediaWiki ! 8)

> If you look at the TW source code, you will see that all tiddlers are
> stored in the form

[...]

> However, you might also want to look into IncludePlugin
> (http://tiddlywiki.abego-software.de/#IncludePlugin).

I see.. nice !
So perhaps one could modify the include plugin to include a .html
which holds only the tiddlers..

Thanks for the info !
Davide

Martin Budden

May 2, 2007, 2:50:38 AM5/2/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Davide,

FND has beat me to it in pointing out the MediaWikiFormatterPlugin for
TiddlyWiki. Just to be clear, this allows you to directly use
MediaWiki format in a tiddler. The thread referenced has some
examples, here are a couple more:

A TiddlyWiki version of http://tiddlywikiguides.org/

http://www.martinswiki.com/guidesdemo/

A small example tiddler
http://www.martinswiki.com/#testMediaWikiFormatter

And finally, if you have any problems or find any bugs, let me know
and I'll do my best to help.

Martin

Davide Pasca

May 2, 2007, 3:16:46 PM5/2/07
to TiddlyWiki
On May 2, 3:50 pm, "Martin Budden" <mjbud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Davide,
>
> FND has beat me to it in pointing out the MediaWikiFormatterPlugin for
> TiddlyWiki. Just to be clear, this allows you to directly use
> MediaWiki format in a tiddler. The thread referenced has some
> examples, here are a couple more:

Thank you for your help !
I'm going to a seminar (zzzzz) next week and I'll try take notes in
MediaWiki format this time ;)

For what it's worth, on the test page I see the italic text losing the
"c" at the end, and H1 and H7 not being formatted accordingly.
Small stuff though.. !

Keep up the good work 8)

baubau
Davide

Davide Pasca

May 14, 2007, 4:37:54 AM5/14/07
to TiddlyWiki
On May 2, 3:50 pm, "Martin Budden" <mjbud...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> And finally, if you have any problems or find any bugs, let me know
> and I'll do my best to help.

Not sure if I should report this here.. but I had some problems with
the MediaWiki syntax plugin and had to give up for the time being.
Basically, PluginManager, AdvancedOptions, etc. stop working.

I'm not sure what's the cause, but it seems like it's not something
new.. (see <http://groups.google.com/group/TiddlyWiki/msg/
6401b86486c7a84f?hl=en&>)

Thank you,
Davide