quality, not quantity

grasshopper

Sep 15, 2002, 9:44:25 PM9/15/02
I've finally decided that it's time to make some real friends. I've gotten
good enough at speaking to people casually that I want to take it further and
actually KNOW someone inside... and for the first time I feel like it's
actually okay to let someone know ME the same way. This was the problem that
was holding me back in life and keeping me lonely my whole life, and I'm
finally ready to start working on it directly instead of on every other thing
that led up to it.

Email me if you're seriously wanting someone to talk to.

- kitz -
"Am definitely the prettiest member of the Fellowship.
Go me!" - the very secret diary of Legolas
http://spinning_plates.tripod.com

Darkfalz

Sep 16, 2002, 4:47:27 AM9/16/02
"grasshopper" <kitzn...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I've finally decided that it's time to make some real friends. I've
gotten
> good enough at speaking to people casually that I want to take it further
and
> actually KNOW someone inside... and for the first time I feel like it's
> actually okay to let someone know ME the same way. This was the problem
that
> was holding me back in life and keeping me lonely my whole life, and I'm
> finally ready to start working on it directly instead of on every other
thing
> that led up to it.
>
> Email me if you're seriously wanting someone to talk to.

Net friends are a dime a dozen and virtually worthless when it comes to
improving your real life. If you want friends and people to talk to, I
suggest you seek them in the real world, not online.

grasshopper

Sep 16, 2002, 6:09:44 AM9/16/02
>Net friends are a dime a dozen and virtually worthless when it comes to
>improving your real life. If you want friends and people to talk to, I
>suggest you seek them in the real world, not online.

And I am doing so, but I'd also like to have some online as well. Several
people in this environment have changed my life significantly because I am able
to be gut wrenchingly honest about everything... I still have trouble with that
irl.

Suggestion heeded.

banhappinesspills

Sep 16, 2002, 6:39:22 AM9/16/02
kitzn...@aol.com (grasshopper) wrote in message news:<20020915214425...@mb-fr.aol.com>...

I don't think you get to know people unless you see them
eye-ball-to-eyeball in a social context. My impression of you is that
you are an intense eldest child type. In other words, pure evil.

Data888

Sep 16, 2002, 7:15:33 AM9/16/02
I'm with kitz. My best friends I only know online. I'm able to be more
honest than I am in RL. Also, they just seem to be better people than
most of those I meet in real life.

Nick

Lisa

Sep 16, 2002, 7:56:17 AM9/16/02
"Data888" <kcinSP...@bigfoot.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I'm with kitz. My best friends I only know online. I'm able to be more
> honest than I am in RL. Also, they just seem to be better people than
> most of those I meet in real life.

Interesting.
Now the question... are they really better people, or do you see them as
better people because you know them better (their opinions)?

Or do you see them as better people because you gravitated only toward the
ones you liked, therefore there were no 'worse' people to compare them to?

Virgo Cluster

Sep 16, 2002, 8:19:45 AM9/16/02
kitzn...@aol.com (grasshopper) wrote in message

> Email me if you're seriously wanting someone to talk to.

I'm VERY curious as to how many e-mails this generates.
I wonder if you're setting yourself up for an avalanche
of several hundred e-mails. But maybe there are a lot
fewer lurkers than I sometimes imagine.

Virgo Cluster

Data888

Sep 16, 2002, 8:13:49 AM9/16/02
Certainly not because I moved away from those I didn't like. There's
no-one I drifted away from because of their personality.
In RL, I'm made laughed at, insulted, taunted by and physically
attacked, by even those I'd consider friends. I'm inclined to believe
this is "pack" behavior, because they are most vicious as a group. If I
talk to them alone, some of them can be really nice. I can think of 4 in
particular who can be horrible when in a group, but are really nice when
alone.
The people I know online listen to me, offer advice, we can have
rational conversations, which is something I can accomplish with very
few people in RL.

Nick

Lisa

Sep 16, 2002, 8:43:25 AM9/16/02

> Certainly not because I moved away from those I didn't like. There's
> no-one I drifted away from because of their personality.
> In RL, I'm made laughed at, insulted, taunted by and physically
> attacked, by even those I'd consider friends. I'm inclined to believe
> this is "pack" behavior, because they are most vicious as a group. If I
> talk to them alone, some of them can be really nice. I can think of 4 in
> particular who can be horrible when in a group, but are really nice when
> alone.
> The people I know online listen to me, offer advice, we can have
> rational conversations, which is something I can accomplish with very
> few people in RL.

I know what you mean.
Never could figure out why men pound on each other in groups.
It seems to serve some purpose though.

On a lighter note, you like the e-people because they can't give you
noogies?
If I can figure how to give e-noogies, you're a target. BE-ware. :P

Lisa

Sep 16, 2002, 8:46:09 AM9/16/02
"Virgo Cluster" <gamma...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

If they lurk on ng, why wouldn't they lurk in mail too?
And would this mean receiving blank mails?

Maybe someone should set up a web account for lurkers to send in blank
e-mails so we can determine how many lurkers there are.
I've noticed a couple of them popped or were pushed out of the woodwork
lately. Tread lightly. Wouldn't want to squish one.

Data888

Sep 16, 2002, 8:41:44 AM9/16/02
Not just men, although mostly. 1 girl in particular, but given there are
only 2 I'm really friends with, that isn't much of a sample space.
Noogies, not so much, Mainly I get punched in the arms and back. Hard.
Neither of the girls have hit me though.
I suppose the e-people don't cause me any physical pain, but there are
many RL people who don't. They just never insult me, or laugh at me, or
do any of the horrible psychological things some RL friends do.

Nick

Lisa

Sep 16, 2002, 9:03:18 AM9/16/02

> Not just men, although mostly. 1 girl in particular, but given there are
> only 2 I'm really friends with, that isn't much of a sample space.
> Noogies, not so much, Mainly I get punched in the arms and back. Hard.

°_°
Get a pitbull.
This will stop abruptly.

> Neither of the girls have hit me though.
> I suppose the e-people don't cause me any physical pain, but there are
> many RL people who don't.

Well thank goodness. I was about to pity you hugely.
I would *hate* that.

I had a girl whose mother used to babysit me when I was a kid, love to do
stuff like this. I was big and slow, she was little and quick. She'd run
up to me when I least expected it and smack me flat-handed in the middle of
the back, then run away. It didn't damage any organs, but it stung like
heck and made me furious. She'd do this over the course of a day and by the
time I left for home I'd be insane with rage.

If I ever meet that woman today, she and I have some things to talk about.
0_o

> They just never insult me, or laugh at me, or
> do any of the horrible psychological things some RL friends do.

Good. Then it's not time entirely wasted. :)

Darkfalz

Sep 16, 2002, 9:44:40 AM9/16/02

> >Net friends are a dime a dozen and virtually worthless when it comes to
> >improving your real life. If you want friends and people to talk to, I
> >suggest you seek them in the real world, not online.
>
> And I am doing so, but I'd also like to have some online as well. Several
> people in this environment have changed my life significantly because I am
able
> to be gut wrenchingly honest about everything... I still have trouble with
that
> irl.
>
> Suggestion heeded.

I added you to my AIM (through Trillian) under Belgymc. I'm guess you either
don't use it or blocked me!

Why? Because I'm like that.

grasshopper

Sep 16, 2002, 10:08:01 AM9/16/02
>Interesting.
>Now the question... are they really better people, or do you see them as
>better people because you know them better (their opinions)?

It's made me believe that they're better because you can see inside of them and
see that their motives aren't evil. They're just like you and they hurt and
they cry about things, and they pat you on the back when you do something well,
or they hurt with you and try to help you figure something out when your
confused. It's difficult to figure people out irl. They sort of are
mysterious and you have the whole outside world to deal with as well... and so
do they, so it's kind of like the ultimate obstacle, real life is. In here
there's time to perfectly temper your response, to hone your speaking before
anyone else hears it... you have days on end with which you can debate
something internally before you give a yes or a no answer to something. You
can be who you really are, and if someone doesn't like you, you can easily
write them off, because everyone looks the same in ascii... if one set of
binary arrangements doesn't feel towards you, you can move on to the next. I
want to be that way in real life too... maybe :\ What if I never find anyone
that likes my arrangements?

>Or do you see them as better people because you gravitated only toward the
>ones you liked, therefore there were no 'worse' people to compare them to?

If nothing else, being on usenet has convinced me that everyone else is good
and that I am as well. I used to not think that way. I used to think people
were evil in nature and that if they could find a way to injure you, they
would, just because that's the way we all are... but now I know that everyone
has a REASON that they do those sorts of things, and if you take time and are
patient and try to live as an example of who you really are instead of telling
them over and over again... maybe they'll wonder what's going on and they'll
seek YOU out.

I told Darkfalz a while ago that I'm not a paragon of virtue... and I'm not...
but when I said that I gave myself something to strive for. I want to be. I
want to help people and not hurt them and I want to do the right thing.

Dark, we've known each other since at least April 11, 2001... that's the
closest approximation that I could find on google just now. That's a long time
to be someone's enemy... but I've learned more about human nature from
listening to and arguing with and being hurt by you than probably anyone I've
ever known in real life. It's meant as a compliment.

grasshopper

Sep 16, 2002, 11:16:27 AM9/16/02
ban said:

>I don't think you get to know people unless you see them
>eye-ball-to-eyeball in a social context. My impression of you is that
>you are an intense eldest child type. In other words, pure evil.

Eh. Okay.

grasshopper

Sep 16, 2002, 11:19:00 AM9/16/02
>> I'm VERY curious as to how many e-mails this generates.
>> I wonder if you're setting yourself up for an avalanche
>> of several hundred e-mails. But maybe there are a lot
>> fewer lurkers than I sometimes imagine.

I don't think there are very many. I don't know why... but I think we're the
only people that read us.

Who really cares what a bunch of people that you don't know are thinking, you
know?

Wry Bread

Sep 16, 2002, 5:07:47 PM9/16/02

Virgo Cluster <gamma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

I wonder how many there are. Like, for every poster, are there 2 or 5 or 10
or 100 lurkers? For some reason, the idea of thousands of people reading
the group and not making their presence known is kinda creepy. OTOH, there
could be like, only 7 or something.

Virgo Cluster

Sep 16, 2002, 6:14:55 PM9/16/02

> Who really cares what a bunch of people that you don't know
> are thinking, you know?

You know, you could have gotten *three* 'knows' in this sentence ---->

Who really knows what a bunch of people that you don't know
are thinking, you know?

*not one of my better ones today*

Virgo Cluster

Ram

Sep 17, 2002, 2:29:00 AM9/17/02
"Wry Bread" <wryb...@nwlink.REMOVEcom> wrote in message news:<uocicbn...@corp.supernews.com>...

Some of today's lurkers will be tomorrow's posters. I was a lurker for
much longer than I've been a poster. It's a public forum that anyone
can read, and so far, I've been aware of that every single time I
posted (I've only been posting for a bit over 2 months though, and
recently I haven't even had time to read most of the posts on here, or
to post to the group daily). But I've never thought it's creepy for
people I've never heard of to read my posts, because the fact that
they exist has never slipped my mind. Besides, reading some of the
posts in this group helped me a lot when I was just lurking, since I
got the feeling that there were others going through the same things I
was (and still am) going through, and that made me feel slightly less
alone, slightly less of that "me vs. the rest of the world" feeling. I
like the thought that there are lurkers out there right now who are
probably getting the same benefit out of this group that I did (and
still do).

Lisa

Sep 17, 2002, 3:09:53 AM9/17/02
"Ram" <sra...@lycos.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Why did you lurk?
I mean, why didn't you post in the first place. Lurking is... like hiding,
I guess.
I've not lurked. But I'm thinking of lurking in the future, just to see
what it's like.

Hmm... I could put that on my resume. Brief former member of the peanut
gallery and amen row.
I'll have a t-shirt with the words 'lure-kure' (german trying to speak
english pronunciation) and market it.

William Parker

Sep 17, 2002, 9:16:02 AM9/17/02
sra...@lycos.com (Ram) wrote in

I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this place. I'd
just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's intuition. How long did
you lurk here before posting? For me, it was about six or seven years
before letting myself loose in here:)

Ram

Sep 17, 2002, 11:50:45 AM9/17/02
"Lisa" <lisas...@blerg.com> wrote in message news:<am6kc4$lh1$03$2...@news.t-online.com>...

I was basically too afraid to post. It's part of my fear of doing
anything social. Although posting on a newsgroup is less of a "social"
activity than any kind of real-life interaction, it still involves
expressing my feelings and opinions to others (and therefore exposing
myself to the possibility of being judged by others). It also involves
the possibility of interacting with people (for example, if someone
should care to respond to one of my posts and ask me a question, like
you just did). Therefore it was somewhat frightening for me to post
(it's part of my fear of rejection/ridicule). I didn't even consider
posting until one day (my 30th birthday, actually) when my loneliness
and frustration were so bad that they were stronger motivators than my
fear. My need to express myself and interact with people made me
decide to take a chance and post. Once I started posting though, I
realized that it wasn't that big a deal, and I'm definitely not afraid
to post here anymore.

Also, in general, if someone wants to join a new group (not
necessarily a.s.s.), it's considered good netiquette to lurk for a
short while in the group that they want to join (and also to read the
FAQ, if any) before they start posting. It gives them a chance to
observe the customs of the place, see who's who and what's what,
what's acceptable and what's not. Essentially they would be doing
their homework before jumping in. Not only does this make the
newsgroup experience better for the people who are already regulars
there, it also significantly improves the newbie's chances of
acceptance and successful interaction in the newsgroup (because they
are less likely to make clueless mistakes, say "the wrong thing" and
offend people). That wasn't *my* only reason for lurking here though,
if it was then I'd have lurked for no longer than two weeks to a month
or so.

Maybe you're thinking of lurking on a different newsgroup (one that
you aren't familiar with so far, one that you've never/rarely posted
on)? If you decided to stop posting *here* and lurk, you know we'd
miss you. You were away for a while recently, and I don't know if you
noticed when you came back, but there were posts calling for you
almost everyday you were gone. ("Where's Lisa?" "Lisa, are you there?"
"Oh, Liiiisaaaaa?") This group would go into a serious case of "Lisa
withdrawal" if you stopped posting.

> Hmm... I could put that on my resume. Brief former member of the peanut
> gallery and amen row.
> I'll have a t-shirt with the words 'lure-kure' (german trying to speak
> english pronunciation) and market it.

Heh, you could maybe sell them online, and definitely market them on
here. Some of us would buy them.

Virgo Cluster

Sep 17, 2002, 2:31:52 PM9/17/02
wlparker-...@sympatico.ca (William Parker) wrote in message

> I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this
> place. I'd just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's
> intuition. How long did you lurk here before posting? For me, it
> was about six or seven years before letting myself loose in here:)

Do you mean "months" instead of "years"? Also, I thought you'd
been posting here for 6 or 7 years. At least, I thought you said
this once.

*time to do some date-restricted googling of WP*

I lurked about 6 weeks before I began posting. At first, I found
the give-and-take very interesting. Then I wanted to do some of
my own. Plus, I thought there might be some interest in a few of
the things I went through. (Not to mention an opportunity to be
the alpha-looser from time to time.)

** needs to get started on "graduate dorm -- part II", but **
** has two midterm tests to type up today and tomorrow **

Virgo Cluster

William Parker

Sep 17, 2002, 2:44:12 PM9/17/02
gamma...@yahoo.com (Virgo Cluster) wrote in

> wlparker-...@sympatico.ca (William Parker) wrote in message
>
>> I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this
>> place. I'd just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's
>> intuition. How long did you lurk here before posting? For me, it
>> was about six or seven years before letting myself loose in here:)
>
> Do you mean "months" instead of "years"? Also, I thought you'd
> been posting here for 6 or 7 years. At least, I thought you said
> this once.

Nope, I do mean years, before I started posting! Discovered this place when
I was in first year university about eight years ago. Posted a couple of
times under a modified name maybe three years ago (ok, that might make me a
liar, and I'd need to revise to four-five years) but didn't start posting
much until maybe 14 months ago.

meg

Sep 17, 2002, 3:13:39 PM9/17/02
William Parker said:

Years?? Wow.

Wow.

Yeah. Wow.

Ram

Sep 17, 2002, 3:36:20 PM9/17/02
wlparker-...@sympatico.ca (William Parker) wrote in message news:<Xns928C5EA68287wl...@206.172.150.13>...
> sra...@lycos.com (Ram) wrote in
>
> > "Wry Bread" <wryb...@nwlink.REMOVEcom> wrote in message
> >> I wonder how many there are. Like, for every poster, are there 2 or 5
> >> or 10 or 100 lurkers? For some reason, the idea of thousands of
> >> people reading the group and not making their presence known is kinda
> >> creepy. OTOH, there could be like, only 7 or something.
> >
> > Some of today's lurkers will be tomorrow's posters. I was a lurker for
> > much longer than I've been a poster. It's a public forum that anyone
> > can read, and so far, I've been aware of that every single time I
> > posted (I've only been posting for a bit over 2 months though, and
> > recently I haven't even had time to read most of the posts on here, or
> > to post to the group daily). But I've never thought it's creepy for
> > people I've never heard of to read my posts, because the fact that
> > they exist has never slipped my mind. Besides, reading some of the
> > posts in this group helped me a lot when I was just lurking, since I
> > got the feeling that there were others going through the same things I
> > was (and still am) going through, and that made me feel slightly less
> > alone, slightly less of that "me vs. the rest of the world" feeling. I
> > like the thought that there are lurkers out there right now who are
> > probably getting the same benefit out of this group that I did (and
> > still do).
>
> I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this place. I'd
> just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's intuition. How long did
> you lurk here before posting? For me, it was about six or seven years
> before letting myself loose in here:)

Oh, yeah. It's very unlikely that there would be thousands of lurkers.
But even if it's just 50 or so, that's still not too bad. Also, there
could also be a lot of shy people out there who would like to lurk or
post here if only they knew of the existence of ass :) Maybe we should
get the word out somehow (maybe by making an occasional crosspost)?
Nah, on second thought, it would probably attract more trolls than shy
people, and make the signal-to-noise ratio go down instead of up.
Targeted advertising may be what we need. I wouder if there's any way
to get the word out about this place to shy folk (so that they can
come get themselves some ass) without attracting too much of the
riffraff.

I think 6 or 7 years of just lurking has got to be some kind of a
record (possibly not just an ass record, but also a usenet-wide
record). Amazing that you would lurk that long! I've just been lurking
since last September, pretty much one year ago. I posted a reply to
Lisa about why I didn't start posting here before I did. Since you've
been lurking here much longer, why didn't you start posting well
before you did?

Virgo Cluster

Sep 17, 2002, 3:46:17 PM9/17/02
wlparker-...@sympatico.ca (William Parker) wrote in message

** William Parker **

>> How long did you lurk here before posting? For me, it was
>> about six or seven years before letting myself loose in here:)

** Virgo Cluster **

> Do you mean "months" instead of "years"? Also, I thought you'd
> been posting here for 6 or 7 years. At least, I thought you said
> this once.
>

> *time to do some date-restricted googling of WP*

Results of Virgo's googling ...

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=38453E3C.5324B0E9%40hotmail.com
1999/12/01
** Some things that I have found helpful are:
** 1) Reading this newsgroup:) Lurk here for 4-5 years, and you
** can't help but see some things a little differently:)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3A53B3A2.687A109%40sympatico.ca
2000-12-04 15:17:03 PST
** Hmm, first I have to say that as a long-time lurker (about 6 years
** on this NG) and very occasional poster I am extremely thankful to
** Eric for a pretty astounding volume of extremely provocative posts
** over that time.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Xns91D29AF542FAFbjparkersympaticoca%40207.35.177.135
2002-03-15 12:06:00 PST
** Welcome:) It's kind of an interesting feeling being a long-time
** lurker isn't it? How you sort of feel like you know other people,
** but that they know nothing at all about you. The extreme example
** of this for me was when I had been reading a.s.s. for a few years,
** and I ended up in the same University play as a regular here, and
** at one point I was in the washroom with him, taking off makeup,
** and making a bit of superficial conversation with him, thinking
** about how weird it was that I knew a lot about him, but he didn't
** know a thing about me.

Virgo Cluster

cr8ive

Sep 17, 2002, 7:53:29 PM9/17/02
grasshopper said:

> I've finally decided that it's time to make
> some real friends. I've gotten good
> enough at speaking to people casually
> that I want to take it further and actually
> KNOW someone inside... and for the
> first time I feel like it's actually okay to
> let someone know ME the same way.
> This was the problem that was holding
> me back in life and keeping me lonely
> my whole life, and I'm finally ready to
> start working on it directly instead of on
> every other thing that led up to it.

> Email me if you're seriously wanting
> someone to talk to.

I thought of posting something like this before to get more email, but
honestly if anyone was gonna email you, don't you think they'd do so
anyway without you posting this? Theres plenty of penpal sites out
there.

William Parker

Sep 17, 2002, 8:19:50 PM9/17/02
sra...@lycos.com (Ram) wrote in

> Oh, yeah. It's very unlikely that there would be thousands of lurkers.
> But even if it's just 50 or so, that's still not too bad. Also, there
> could also be a lot of shy people out there who would like to lurk or
> post here if only they knew of the existence of ass :) Maybe we should
> get the word out somehow (maybe by making an occasional crosspost)?
> Nah, on second thought, it would probably attract more trolls than shy
> people, and make the signal-to-noise ratio go down instead of up.
> Targeted advertising may be what we need. I wouder if there's any way
> to get the word out about this place to shy folk (so that they can
> come get themselves some ass) without attracting too much of the
> riffraff.
>
> I think 6 or 7 years of just lurking has got to be some kind of a
> record (possibly not just an ass record, but also a usenet-wide
> record). Amazing that you would lurk that long! I've just been lurking
> since last September, pretty much one year ago. I posted a reply to
> Lisa about why I didn't start posting here before I did. Since you've
> been lurking here much longer, why didn't you start posting well
> before you did?

I don't really know. I think it's a few reasons... Shyness and insecurity,
but more than that, I always just viewed Usenet and the internet more like
reading a newspaper or something. I mean, the average guy *can* send off
something to the editorials, but it would really occur to me to, or be
something I'd consider worth the effort. Feeling inferior to people here
was a definite part of it... I'm over that though;)

Also, I never did much writing of any kind at all, ever, until about three
years ago. I think what started me writing down things was internet
personals, and meeting people through them. And I had a girlfriend for two
years who was extremely prolific with email, so I ended up sending a *lot*
of it, like over a thousand over two years. So where that left me, perhaps,
was that when I broke up, I was used to writing down stuff every day, but
with nowhere to do it, so I started posting here.

But it's kind of scarey to think that I've been reading this group for
somewhere between one third and one quarter of my life!

William Parker

Sep 17, 2002, 8:21:53 PM9/17/02
thedevily...@hotmail.com (cr8ive) wrote in news:8538-3D87C079-66
@storefull-2132.public.lawson.webtv.net:

What's a good one?

grasshopper

Sep 17, 2002, 10:54:40 PM9/17/02
William said:

>I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this place. I'd
>just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's intuition. How long did
>you lurk here before posting? For me, it was about six or seven years
>before letting myself loose in here:)

I, on the other hand, posted before I read a single thing. I've just always
been a voice.

grasshopper

Sep 17, 2002, 10:55:50 PM9/17/02
>I thought of posting something like this before to get more email, but
>honestly if anyone was gonna email you, don't you think they'd do so
>anyway without you posting this? Theres plenty of penpal sites out
>there.

I don't want a penpal, I want a friend.

Lisa

Sep 18, 2002, 3:10:45 AM9/18/02
"Ram" <sra...@lycos.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Lisa" <lisas...@blerg.com> wrote in message

> > Why did you lurk?

> > I mean, why didn't you post in the first place. Lurking is... like
hiding,
> > I guess.
> > I've not lurked. But I'm thinking of lurking in the future, just to see
> > what it's like.
>
> I was basically too afraid to post. It's part of my fear of doing
> anything social. Although posting on a newsgroup is less of a "social"
> activity than any kind of real-life interaction, it still involves
> expressing my feelings and opinions to others (and therefore exposing
> myself to the possibility of being judged by others). It also involves
> the possibility of interacting with people (for example, if someone
> should care to respond to one of my posts and ask me a question, like
> you just did). Therefore it was somewhat frightening for me to post
> (it's part of my fear of rejection/ridicule). I didn't even consider
> posting until one day (my 30th birthday, actually) when my loneliness
> and frustration were so bad that they were stronger motivators than my
> fear. My need to express myself and interact with people made me
> decide to take a chance and post. Once I started posting though, I
> realized that it wasn't that big a deal, and I'm definitely not afraid
> to post here anymore.

I think there are two types of rejection involved, that of your outsides
(appearance) and your insides (opinions). I'm more afraid of the first
type, because in that case you're not understood as a person. You don't
even get a chance, and are judged before you're really known.

I also have a fear of doing this to others and missing out on something
important. (my selfishness shining thru... and yes, I want it *all*)
This is why when the guys say they approach a woman and she looks at him and
in a couple seconds decides she doesn't want to know him, based on nothing
more important than how his hair or clothes look that day... that frightens
me somewhere deep.

I wonder how many people have thrown away good opportunities doing the same
thing.
But I guess if you operate like this, you're foolish in the first place and
deserve what you get.

> Also, in general, if someone wants to join a new group (not
> necessarily a.s.s.), it's considered good netiquette to lurk for a
> short while in the group that they want to join (and also to read the
> FAQ, if any) before they start posting. It gives them a chance to
> observe the customs of the place, see who's who and what's what,
> what's acceptable and what's not. Essentially they would be doing
> their homework before jumping in. Not only does this make the
> newsgroup experience better for the people who are already regulars
> there, it also significantly improves the newbie's chances of
> acceptance and successful interaction in the newsgroup (because they
> are less likely to make clueless mistakes, say "the wrong thing" and
> offend people). That wasn't *my* only reason for lurking here though,
> if it was then I'd have lurked for no longer than two weeks to a month
> or so.

Re: netiquette and saying the wrong thing... I've done that before, and I
find if you apologize for a blunder, lay down on your back and assume the
submissive pose, in a very short time they tend to forgive you. I thought
human nature would be different and in doing this I'd get my throat
lacerated, but I didn't. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, you find out
this way who the mutants are. They'll be the ones still jabbing you after
everyone else has accepted.

Back to being submissive, I found it in general to be very helpful when
going in new. If you charge in with an "Everyone bow down, I've come to
dominate you" attitude, you're going to be kicked in the teeth by everyone
with a functioning foot. One more way Usenet is a practice for The Real
(tm).

> Maybe you're thinking of lurking on a different newsgroup (one that
> you aren't familiar with so far, one that you've never/rarely posted
> on)? If you decided to stop posting *here* and lurk, you know we'd
> miss you. You were away for a while recently, and I don't know if you
> noticed when you came back, but there were posts calling for you
> almost everyday you were gone. ("Where's Lisa?" "Lisa, are you there?"
> "Oh, Liiiisaaaaa?") This group would go into a serious case of "Lisa
> withdrawal" if you stopped posting.

:)
*hugs Ram*
**squooshes him thoroughly**
***steps back, brushes the rumples out of his shirt***
****gives him the biggest and best cookie****

> > Hmm... I could put that on my resume. Brief former member of the peanut
> > gallery and amen row.
> > I'll have a t-shirt with the words 'lure-kure' (german trying to speak
> > english pronunciation) and market it.
>
> Heh, you could maybe sell them online, and definitely market them on
> here. Some of us would buy them.

Hm. Changed my mind. I think I'd give them away for free. :)

Lisa

Sep 18, 2002, 3:13:33 AM9/18/02
"grasshopper" <kitzn...@aol.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> William said:
>
> >I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this place. I'd
> >just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's intuition. How long
did
> >you lurk here before posting? For me, it was about six or seven years
> >before letting myself loose in here:)
>
> I, on the other hand, posted before I read a single thing. I've just
always
> been a voice.

*thinking*
**if Kitz' is a disembodied voice... who's the chick in the picture**

Give back her soul you fiend!!!
;)

banhappinesspills

Sep 18, 2002, 7:00:48 AM9/18/02
kitzn...@aol.com (grasshopper) wrote in message news:<20020917225550...@mb-fl.aol.com>...

Are we talking internet friends? I thought only bedridden folk had to
resort to that. If you want to cyber, I'll be your "friend".

bettie_frost

Sep 18, 2002, 10:14:52 AM9/18/02
"Wry Bread" <wryb...@nwlink.REMOVEcom> wrote in message news:<uocicbn...@corp.supernews.com>...

I'm a lurker....and I'm terribly sorry for creeping you out. It's
just that I don't have a large quantity of time to be witty and/or
annoying. But creepy! I can do that! Sometimes, us lurkers are
simply afraid of beating a dead horse, and I will leave the
one-liners for regular posters because I'm new and I think that might
be perceived as being trollish if I joined in out of the blue, which I
have done a couple of times and it did not seem right. At least with
regular posters you know what to expect...the humor, what might be
taken the wrong way...But with just a "surprise visit" it probably is
kinda odd. So...I hope I haven't creeped you out even further!!!

Oh and...for the record, I like the one-liners and off-topics. I'm
glad not everything has to be a diatribe!

meg

Sep 18, 2002, 10:25:00 AM9/18/02
bettie_frost said:

BEEEETTIE!
We need more estrogen, please post!

Just pop in whenever, same with the other lurkers - it might feel odd at
first but you'll slip right in!

Kali

Sep 18, 2002, 10:35:03 AM9/18/02
"bettie_frost" <happy_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Lisa

Sep 18, 2002, 11:21:58 AM9/18/02
"bettie_frost" <happy_...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

Listen Lurker, *you* don't decide when's the time is right, *we* do.
And now the time is right.
Get out on the front lines.
Your a.s.s. needs you! ;)

ness

Sep 18, 2002, 12:51:48 PM9/18/02
** William **

> >I can't imagine that there would be that many lurkers in this place. I'd
> >just guess no more than about 50 or so, but that's intuition. How long did
> >you lurk here before posting? For me, it was about six or seven years
> >before letting myself loose in here:)
** kitz **

> I, on the other hand, posted before I read a single thing. I've just always
> been a voice.

I posted the same day I found the group, I think (or possibly the
next, don't remember exactly... or perhaps I found the group just
before midnight, and posted at around 3am or thereabouts ;). I did
read the archives (on the late dejanews) quite thoroughly before
posting though, spent at least a few hours on it, so I think I did
have a reasonably good idea as to the nature of the group and its
goings-on.

I'm not really freaked out by the idea of having lots of lurkers
either - if I had any reason to suspect some of them might know me
IRL, I mightn't be overly thrilled, but the likelihood of that is
pretty small (I hope I didn't jinx it there, eh).

bettie_frost

Sep 18, 2002, 2:33:16 PM9/18/02
meg <megme...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns928D5FCA9B1D5me...@130.133.1.4>...

*POP*
Hello!

<gasp> I've been taken into the fold! Is there some kind of
initiation thing with white dress and goat's blood?? Cos...I'm going
to have to go procure myself a white dress. (just kidding cos of all
that silly popular clique talk- gee, I feel like I have to explain
everything just in case because I'm all newbie-like)

I was thinking that there was a definite lack of estrogen here, which
was kinda scary! Maybe all us women folk will start menstruating in
tandem .Yikes!

ness

Sep 18, 2002, 2:55:39 PM9/18/02
** bettie_frost **
> *POP*

*picks up Bettie's eyeball*
**licks it clean**
***pops it back in***
</scaring the newbie>

> Hello!

*cues meg for her seduction routine with long skirt and ivory legs*

> Is there some kind of initiation thing with white dress and goat's blood??

BYOB (Bring Your Own Blood). Bags of Doritos are on us. ~_~

> Maybe all us women folk will start menstruating in tandem .

Not a bad idea! Ok, ladies, follow me now. Get set... Ready...
Menstruate!

*lurks off*
**returns**
***studies the floor***
****attaches removable furry tail to her a.s.s****
*****lurks off, cleaning the blood drips with tail*****
******remembers Virgo's sniffing powers******
*******attaches a second tail*******
********sprays heavy perfume all over her traces with second tail********

William Parker

Sep 18, 2002, 2:58:11 PM9/18/02
happy_...@hotmail.com (bettie_frost) wrote in

Another one has slipped through our security measures? This is cause for
much concern, and we have to join together to ensure that this doesn't
happen again!

Joel, I want more licking, from Virgo more intimidating checks on females'
news server information, Wilson should try harder to trim down what he's
replying to, banhappinesspills should bash Lisa some more, fallout needs to
be more considerate about offending people, Darkfalz should produce more
acrostics with a theme of sexual violence, Maas should just start posting,
Eric Pepke should encourage us all to create more "tide pools", Meg can just
be herself, Ness should post less often and in larger bursts of one-liners,
Kitz should bring back "To the Men" enough said, and Mr Teatime, when you're
hurt by someone's word usage I want to hear about it, mmm-kay? Oh and more
"checkout girl" posts would be nice.

Lisa

Sep 18, 2002, 3:21:46 PM9/18/02
"bettie_frost" <happy_...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Ewwww.
I start in two days.
Who's with me? :)

meg

Sep 18, 2002, 4:27:25 PM9/18/02
Lisa said:

Hmm.. naw, I gotta bit of time to wait yet. But I'll do my best!

*sits down and concentrates really really hard*

ness

Sep 18, 2002, 4:55:03 PM9/18/02
** Lisa **

>> I start in two days.
>> Who's with me? :)
** meg **

> Hmm.. naw, I gotta bit of time to wait yet. But I'll do my best!
>
> *sits down and concentrates really really hard*

C'mon, girl, push a lil harder! The success or failure of the collective
menstruation is depending on this. We're counting on you, don't let us
down. ;)

ness

Sep 18, 2002, 5:06:24 PM9/18/02
** Lisa **

> I start in two days.
> Who's with me? :)

I *might* almost make it. But then, I'm as regular as I am with my posts
here so... ~_~

There have been studies done though on women's menstrual cycles converging in
situations where they spend lots of time together over a longer time
period.

*wonders if this also applies to Usenet*

http://www.students.haverford.edu/wmbweb/writings/joconverge.html

http://whalonlab.msu.edu/Student_Webpages/Smell_and_attraction/

*so probably not*
*unless some of you have managed to find a way to*
*expose the readers of this group to the right pheromones*
**hey, it could be done**
**remember, last year they were spreading anthrax via e-mail**

William Parker

Sep 18, 2002, 5:08:26 PM9/18/02
ness <unbro...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> ** Lisa **
>> I start in two days.
>> Who's with me? :)
>
> I *might* almost make it. But then, I'm as regular as I am with my
> posts here so... ~_~

I'm in for sure!

ness

Sep 18, 2002, 5:19:29 PM9/18/02
** Lisa **
>>> I start in two days.
>>> Who's with me? :)
** ness **
>> I *might* almost make it. But then, I'm as regular as I am with my
>> posts here so... ~_~
** William **
> I'm in for sure!

O_o

Jpegs.

meg

Sep 18, 2002, 6:03:32 PM9/18/02
ness said:

EW.

meg

Sep 18, 2002, 6:27:24 PM9/18/02
bettie_frost said:

You can borrow Virgo's. Oh, um.. he hasn't taken it off since his
intitiation, so you might want to gt it cleaned first.

> I feel like I have to explain
> everything just in case because I'm all newbie-like)

This is true.
If you don't, we'll feed you to the lions. Once we get some.

> I was thinking that there was a definite lack of estrogen here, which
> was kinda scary! Maybe all us women folk will start menstruating in
> tandem .Yikes!

You've inspired William to menstruate, I'm impressed. Yeah, you're
definitely going to have to stay.

One lurker down, ?? to go... I'll get you, my pretties....

ness

Sep 18, 2002, 6:45:01 PM9/18/02
** Lisa **
** ness **
** William **
>>> I'm in for sure!
** ness **
>> O_o
>>
>> Jpegs.
** meg **
> EW.

Well you're going to love this one then. ~_~

http://spiralingmoon.livejournal.com/

http://www.spiralingmoon.com/autobiomythology/bio-index.html

*before anyone asks*
*yes I am having fun trying to gross you all out*

meg

Sep 18, 2002, 6:58:51 PM9/18/02
ness said:

I was thinking:
"pffft! ness can't gross me out."

I was wrong.

*lies down in the fetal position and sobs*

yakima

Sep 18, 2002, 11:08:43 PM9/18/02
In article <am985q$5so$03$1...@news.t-online.com>,
"Lisa" <lisas...@blerg.com> wrote:

>I think there are two types of rejection involved, that of your outsides
>(appearance) and your insides (opinions). I'm more afraid of the first
>type, because in that case you're not understood as a person. You don't
>even get a chance, and are judged before you're really known.
>
>I also have a fear of doing this to others and missing out on something
>important. (my selfishness shining thru... and yes, I want it *all*)
>This is why when the guys say they approach a woman and she looks at him and
>in a couple seconds decides she doesn't want to know him, based on nothing
>more important than how his hair or clothes look that day... that frightens
>me somewhere deep.

If I had to choose one form of rejection, I'd much prefer to be rejected
quickly on the basis of my appearance. The most painful experience of
my life was a long, drawn-out rejection by someone who took a long time
to get to know me. I take rejection of my personality much more
personally than rejection of my looks. And the long process of getting
to know the other person means a lot of time and emotional energy is
spent on someone who you aren't going to end up with anyway. Much
better, from my point of view, to get rejection out of the way before
expectations and hopes can rise too much.

-yakima

Virgo Cluster

Sep 19, 2002, 2:36:24 AM9/19/02
unbro...@yahoo.com (ness) wrote in message

> I posted the same day I found the group, I think (or possibly the
> next, don't remember exactly... or perhaps I found the group just
> before midnight, and posted at around 3am or thereabouts ;). I did
> read the archives (on the late dejanews) quite thoroughly before
> posting though, spent at least a few hours on it, so I think I did
> have a reasonably good idea as to the nature of the group and its
> goings-on.

2000-11-18 11:30:20 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?th=69effe98794cb08d

*read about 100 of her earliest posts last night*

**intrigued by evolution of her web persona through three morphings**

Virgo Cluster

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 3:02:43 AM9/19/02
"meg" <megme...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Well, you failed growing an apple before, so I don't have much faith in you.
*sobs*
Think of all the bonding time we're going to miss, meg.
Shopping for pads and tampons.
Running to the bathroom to put cold water on our stains.
Not to mention all that quality conversation time spent sitting in the tent
at the edge of the tribe :(.

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 3:12:34 AM9/19/02
"ness" <unbro...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

°_°

I never.
And to think all this time I was flushing.

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 3:14:07 AM9/19/02
"meg" <megme...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I told my husband, if he and I don't work out, I'm going to New York to sit
on the sidewalk and sell poo-pictures. The idea was to put a little bit of
myself in every piece I created.
I think this woman has me beat.

Wry Bread

Sep 19, 2002, 4:03:59 AM9/19/02

meg <megme...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just pop in whenever, same with the other lurkers - it might feel odd at
> first but you'll slip right in!

That's what my girlfriend told me!

Oh wait! I've never had a girlfriend!

Wry Bread

Sep 19, 2002, 4:07:29 AM9/19/02

bettie_frost <happy_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking that there was a definite lack of estrogen here, which
> was kinda scary! Maybe all us women folk will start menstruating in
> tandem .Yikes!

Actually, men would probably appreciate this, because then they could
arrange to be elsewhere (like anywhere) that week.

meow mix

Sep 19, 2002, 5:08:59 AM9/19/02
yakima <yak...@eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:<yakima-92EB3A....@news.mindspring.com>...

Lately, I have been maintaining a dishevelled look in an attempt to
discipline myself into caring less whether my appearance is accepted
or rejected. I still wash all the time and other rigourous hygieney
things, but I'm probably overdue for a haircut, I only shave once
every fortnight and I dont even care what I'm wearing anymore. I don't
know whether this apathy will actually achieve much. I figure, looks
are so subjective from person to person so why care?!

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 7:14:25 AM9/19/02
"meow mix" <slu...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Lately, I have been maintaining a dishevelled look in an attempt to
> discipline myself into caring less whether my appearance is accepted
> or rejected. I still wash all the time and other rigourous hygieney
> things, but I'm probably overdue for a haircut, I only shave once
> every fortnight and I dont even care what I'm wearing anymore. I don't
> know whether this apathy will actually achieve much. I figure, looks
> are so subjective from person to person so why care?!

Caution when using this approach. I got to that point right after I
graduated high school. Hopeless that life would ever be what it was right
then, I refused to wear make-up, do my hair, wore only what I found
comfortable.
I got out of the habit of keeping my appearance up, and today I find it very
hard to motivate myself to do it.

ness

Sep 19, 2002, 8:32:29 AM9/19/02
** Lisa **
** ness **
** William **
** ness **

** meg **
> > > EW.
** ness **

> > Well you're going to love this one then. ~_~
> >
> > http://spiralingmoon.livejournal.com/
> >
> > http://www.spiralingmoon.com/autobiomythology/bio-index.html
> >
> > *before anyone asks*
> > *yes I am having fun trying to gross you all out*
** Lisa **

> °_°
>
> I never.
> And to think all this time I was flushing.

*goes in for the overkill*
**hopes meg's not reading this**

That is actually what I was most curious about. How does she collect
the blood?

Could it be by using this?
http://www.mum.org/MenBloExtrac.htm

o_O

But the real answer, if you're still interested - and I think you
aren't - can be found in the following article.
http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/shocked/88.html

William Parker

Sep 19, 2002, 9:13:30 AM9/19/02
unbro...@yahoo.com (ness) wrote in

Mmm, new ways to water my plants!

Seriously, I can be fairly squeamish (I can't take that operation show on
the Learning Channel for long!) but menstrual blood isn't something that
grosses me out at all. We all spent nine months of pre-life literally
covered in the stuff, right?:) (Well, eight months for me.) So how bad can
it be?

William Parker

Sep 19, 2002, 9:16:14 AM9/19/02
"Wry Bread" <wryb...@nwlink.REMOVEcom> wrote in

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but it doesn't always "slip right
in" without having a fairly good idea of what you're doing:)

ness

Sep 19, 2002, 9:35:37 AM9/19/02
** Virgo Cluster **

Stop dragging out the dead.

> *read about 100 of her earliest posts last night*
>
> **intrigued by evolution of her web persona through three morphings**

Neither of them exists. The person that wrote those things back then
isn't me anymore.

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 10:35:42 AM9/19/02
"ness" <unbro...@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

That wouldn't work with me.
I'm nowhere near that hairy. :P

> But the real answer, if you're still interested - and I think you
> aren't - can be found in the following article.
> http://www.sfbg.com/SFLife/shocked/88.html

As for interest, you'd be surprised.

You know, I'm not ashamed of the way my body works, nor do I think it's
nasty.
I don't, however, want to play in it.

bettie_frost

Sep 19, 2002, 1:11:39 PM9/19/02
"Lisa" <lisas...@blerg.com> wrote in message news:<ambsk9$9q8$01$1...@news.t-online.com>...

Whoa ...
You know, it takes a truly great artist to throw off the restraints of
conventional methods and go with what is within, literally. Doesn't
it?????

Yeah. I'm trying to convince myself of that too. Umm...wow my art
history class didn't quite prepare me for that!

bettie_frost

Sep 19, 2002, 1:16:35 PM9/19/02
"Lisa" <lisas...@blerg.com> wrote in message news:<ama4uh$r8d$01$1...@news.t-online.com>...

> "bettie_frost" <happy_...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Listen Lurker, *you* don't decide when's the time is right, *we* do.
> And now the time is right.
> Get out on the front lines.
> Your a.s.s. needs you! ;)

Sir, yes sir...uhh I mean ma'am!!!!!!!!!!!!

bettie_frost

Sep 19, 2002, 1:18:19 PM9/19/02
ness <unbro...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2002.09.18.18...@yahoo.com>...
> ** bettie_frost **
> > *POP*
>
> *picks up Bettie's eyeball*
> **licks it clean**
> ***pops it back in***
> </scaring the newbie>
>
> > Hello!
>
> *cues meg for her seduction routine with long skirt and ivory legs*

> > Is there some kind of initiation thing with white dress and goat's blood??
>
> BYOB (Bring Your Own Blood). Bags of Doritos are on us. ~_~

> > Maybe all us women folk will start menstruating in tandem .
>
> Not a bad idea! Ok, ladies, follow me now. Get set... Ready...
> Menstruate!
>

> *lurks off*
> **returns**
> ***studies the floor***
> ****attaches removable furry tail to her a.s.s****
> *****lurks off, cleaning the blood drips with tail*****
> ******remembers Virgo's sniffing powers******
> *******attaches a second tail*******
> ********sprays heavy perfume all over her traces with second tail********

I'm cold and frightened. But thank you kindly for polishing my glass
eye before you popped it back in!

ness

Sep 19, 2002, 1:34:58 PM9/19/02
** bettie_frost **

> I'm cold and frightened.

It is damn chilly in here, isn't it. *closes the a.s.s window*
I'm turning into ness_frost here myself. x_x (And no leaving the window
open again, guys, you know what happens, all kinds of trollish riffraff
climbing in.)

(Seriously though, it's freaking cold here... *mutters a few chosen words
about the weather* Where's that global warming when you need it!)

> But thank you kindly for polishing my glass
> eye before you popped it back in!

*Glass* eye? You mean I licked a glass eye? Eww! I thought it was a real
one. Even gave it a looooo-ong seductive look, made my best copulatory
gaze effort at it before stimulating it with my tongue. And now you're
telling me all that was for nothing. <>_<>

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 3:55:34 PM9/19/02
"bettie_frost" <happy_...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

My mom just began college again, studying art.
This makes me very suspicious, this link.
I wonder what she's doing, but now I'm afraid to ask her. :-/

Lisa

Sep 19, 2002, 3:57:25 PM9/19/02

Oops. Overkill. Sorry.
What I meant to say was: WELCOME. :D

*extending the hand of friendship*
**retracting the hand of friendship, and wiping it off first**
***putting on glove, so bettie won't smell where the hand has been***

meg

Sep 19, 2002, 3:55:16 PM9/19/02
Lisa said:

> My mom just began college again, studying art.
> This makes me very suspicious, this link.
> I wonder what she's doing, but now I'm afraid to ask her. :-/

*looks up from the floor and takes a break from her sobbing*

I studied art.

We didn't do -that-.

Don't worry about your mom.

*returns to her sobbing, adding a fearful tremble for effect*

Virgo Cluster

Sep 20, 2002, 5:18:05 PM9/20/02

** Virgo Cluster **

>> *read about 100 of her earliest posts last night*
>>
>> **intrigued by evolution of her web persona through three morphings**

** ness **

> Neither of them exists. The person that wrote those things back
> then isn't me anymore.

I'm not you anymore either. But I'm hoping to be me soon.

Virgo Cluster (feeling a bit outside of myself)

ness

Sep 21, 2002, 11:34:36 AM9/21/02
** Virgo Cluster **

> I'm not you anymore either.

Well that's good. I've been wondering for the longest time who am I.
Finally I've got one option eliminated.

> But I'm hoping to be me soon.

Experimenting on Usenet is the way.

> Virgo Cluster (feeling a bit outside of myself)

ness. always extremely inside of self. some say too much, i say put a
sock in it.

mathieu78

Sep 22, 2002, 12:16:07 PM9/22/02
"Re: quality, not quantity"

That's the female sexual strategy,allright.

cr8ive

Sep 24, 2002, 12:05:22 AM9/24/02

www.penpals.com
www.easypenpals.com