[crx] Extension crash on last Chrome version on Mac

Pierre-Louis

May 11, 2010, 7:13:35 AM5/11/10
to Chromium-extensions
Hi,

My users reported me that they have problems with my extension on the
latest version of Chrome on MAC.
Unfortunately, i can't test it (no mac user). It seems that the
extension was working and when Chrome has been updated to new version,
it does no more work.
Here is what they said :

1 - Clicking icon does nothing (But some times it does open a white or
completely black pop-up with no content.)
Clicking option takes around 1 minute to open when I first do
that( First time on opening/restarting chrome) Subsequent openings
work fine.
But under settings all settings is unselected. And saving any won't
work. Though it might say saved. Opening again will show that they are
unselected again.

2 - I'm a mac user and it used up a lot of memory on my mac, slowing
my browser to the point where it hangs. There's no popup when I click
the button. I can access the option page and make some changes with
the options but I can't save it, or nothing happens when I click save.
My One Manga page is back to the normal page (the usual One Manga
without this extension).

My extension is One Manga Reader :
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/joglkbmjnnkcbnkjccennofogdpodljo

On extension load, the extension performs Cross-XHR requests, I think
it could come from a memory problem with these requests...

If some of you have been faced with such problems with last Mac's
chrome version, i would be glad to see any clue to solve this issue.
If a mac user can test it with last chrome version in debug mode to
see what's happening, it would help me a lot.

Thanks.

Jon Stritar

May 17, 2010, 4:08:10 PM5/17/10
to Chromium-extensions
I have this issue with my extension too. It's been happening for a while now, but this is the dev build I'm using:

Google Chrome 6.0.401.1 (Official Build 47052) dev
WebKit 533.9
V8 2.2.9

I have the same symptoms as you- options takes a long time to load, extension's memory spikes to like 650MB or so, lots of cpu usage, popup does not really load (or does slowly). It also doesn't print any log messages to the background page, so I can't debug it much.

I figured out that the problem disappears when I comment out my asynchronous Google Analytics code from the background page. Are you using Analytics too? Has anyone else seen this problem? It completely breaks the extensions.

Thanks
--Jon

James Robinson

May 17, 2010, 4:48:07 PM5/17/10
to Jon Stritar, Chromium-extensions
Can you file this on http://crbug.com/ to make sure that it can be assigned/triaged promptly?  Many thanks.

- James

Pierre-Louis

May 18, 2010, 4:52:26 AM5/18/10
to Chromium-extensions
Effectively, i found out too that the problem comes from Google
analytics. I opened another topic about this special problem.
The problem occurs on Mac and on Debian. And it seems that there is no
workaround for now.
The other topic is :
http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/browse_thread/thread/290a81213fb50e50#

Jon Stritar