Dylan SACD update!

Axelrod53

Apr 21, 2003, 3:44:28 PM4/21/03
I have heard some interesting info regarding Sony's pending release of parts of
the Dylan catalogue in SACD.

First, 15 titles will be issued this summer as hybrid CD/SACD issues, all newly
remastered at minimum, and at least some remixed for 5.1 multi-channel, though
how many are remixed is not clear to me.

2-channel SACD/CD hybrids:
Desire
Freewheelin'
Highway 61 Revisited
Infidels
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
Oh Mercy
Planet Waves
Street Legal

6 of the titles will be in multi-channel 5.1 sound:

1. Another side of ...
2. Blonde on blonde (!)
3. Blood on the tracks
4. Bringing it all back home
5. Love and theft
6. Slow train coming

As we all know, the 2-channel SACD of Blonde On Blonde that's been out for
several years contained a (then) brand new (and considered by many, superior)
2-ch mix. There apparently was no 5-ch mix created at the time they did that
"new" 2-ch mix, as far as I know.

So, is the new BoB SACD hybrid a brand new mix/master?

I assume that all these Multi-channel SACDs contain brand new mixes from the
original multi-track master tapes. What I don't know, and what will be
intriguing, is whether the 2-ch part of Blonde ... is the same as the master
used for the stereo single-layer SACD! Maybe we're going to get yet another
remix of Blonde on Blonde in stereo....and maybe not. But the 5.1 mix will be
brand new.

But at minimum, the complaint that the SACD-only mix of Blonde on Blonde is
unavailable to those without SACD players is likely to be resolved with the
issue of this new hybrid.

I hear no information at all about mono mixes or bonus tracks, though if I'm a
betting man, I'd bet against seeing any of those in this issue.

Gary W.

Richard

Apr 21, 2003, 4:30:23 PM4/21/03

"Axelrod53" <axel...@aol.com> wrote in message
Blond on Blond is preserved on a 4 track master. Let's hope this is not
going to be another Elvis DVD-A phony remix to 5.1.

Richard.

Trev Gibb

Apr 21, 2003, 5:56:12 PM4/21/03
Why would anyone make an acoustic album 5.1 sound. such as Another Side Of.
It makes no sense

--
---------------------------------
We have done with Hope and Honour, we are lost to Love and Truth,

- Rudyard Kipling -
----------------------------------

Richard

Apr 22, 2003, 9:15:16 AM4/22/03

"Trev Gibb" <Trev...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Why would anyone make an acoustic album 5.1 sound. such as Another Side
Of.
> It makes no sense

Well if Bob's management was on its toes and desired to preserve Bob's
output as a cultural resource (presented the way Bob intended), Bob's
management would have insisted that all of Bob's albums through Blond on
Blond be issued on SACD with both the mono and stereo versions.

That 5.1 is being considered, but mono versions are not, suggest a general
lack of input by Bob's management and also suggests that Sony Music is
utilizing Bob's output as a vehicle to help push the next evolution in the
business, multi-channel SACD technology. Can't blame Sony, it's part of
their business plan. I suspect they are underestimating the consumers of
Bob's music.

Richard.

Jason Michael

Apr 22, 2003, 10:04:57 AM4/22/03

"Axelrod53" <axel...@aol.com> wrote in message

While I'm happy to hear that Blonde On Blonde is being released as a hybrid
disc, I can't find any corroboration to this. If you go to Sony's SACD site,
they still list the same 15 titles they first announced (Bootleg Series
Vol.4 instead of Blonde On Blonde). It also still says the release date is
this fall. Can you post a link to this info?

Jason

Alan Fraser

Apr 22, 2003, 10:48:53 AM4/22/03
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:15:16 -0400, "Richard" <rfei...@rr.cap.com>
wrote:

>That 5.1 is being considered, but mono versions are not, suggest a general
>lack of input by Bob's management and also suggests that Sony Music is
>utilizing Bob's output as a vehicle to help push the next evolution in the
>business, multi-channel SACD technology. Can't blame Sony, it's part of
>their business plan. I suspect they are underestimating the consumers of
>Bob's music.

As usual, you're absolutely right.

However, mono has indeed been considered by the team carrying out the
remastering, although it now looks unlikely that any general mono
mixes will be released. I wouldn't rule out one or two mono tracks
appearing as bonuses, but that would be the maximum. Apparently, as
Richard says, Sony execs consider that mono "has no relevance to
today's generation of consumers". I would think Bob's management are
also aware that getting them to shift on this would be nigh on
impossible, which is why they're licencing mono mixes for release on
vinyl on labels like Sundazed.

Alan

Don't Tread On Me

Apr 22, 2003, 11:42:06 AM4/22/03
> Well if Bob's management was on its toes and desired to preserve Bob's
> output as a cultural resource (presented the way Bob intended), Bob's
> management would have insisted that all of Bob's albums through Blond on
> Blond be issued on SACD with both the mono and stereo versions.

I'm okay with the remastered versions in 5.1. You can already get any album
that was originally released in mono in mono today, whether it be the
original or reissued LPs or digital transfers of those LPs.

Who is to say how Bob want's these albums presented? Mono may have been the
best vehicle at the time. Perhaps he had a different sound in mind, but did
the best with the technology available at the time. For all we know he is
prefers the new 'sound.'

Lastly, I'm sure Bob and his management have the final word on how these
albums are being released. If Sony really had its way you'd actually see a
stereo release, a mono release, and bonus tracks on a second special edition
disc. I'm sure they had to beg and plead with Bob to have these albums
remastered and re-released (how many times do I have to put Blonde On Blonde
out?!). I'm more disappointed about the lack of bonus material, but perhaps
that is being reserved for future Bootleg Series releases. But, in the end,
I have to keep some perspective and be happy that this material is being
remastered.

--
"Looking for the right kind of live free or die" - Jay Farrar

laissez-faire, laissez-passer, le monde va de lui-même
--
Hamp Nettles

jan

Apr 22, 2003, 2:08:04 PM4/22/03
Thanks for the post. Your info contradicts what is officially stated as
per Sony's announcement:

Free Wheelin’; Another Side of Bob Dylan; Bringing It All Back Home;
Highway 61 Revisited; John Wesley Harding; Nashville Skyline; Blood On
The Tracks; Desire; Slow Train Coming; Infidels; Oh Mercy; Time Out Of
Mind; Love and Theft; Royal Albert Hall and Street Legal.

Which differs from your list in a couple instances.

Naturals for multi channel are the three titles that were released in
quadraphonic in the 1970s: Nashwille Skyline, Planet Waves, and Desire.
Note that Sony's press release does not list Planet Waves as being
scheduled at all. Note that your 5.1 list doesn't have any of the quad
titles on it, which strikes me very weird.

Multi channel properly executed is superior to mono or stereo. Properly
executed means properly mixed and *properly played back*. If you are a
normal beer-drinking dude with a baseball cap on backwards, and you play
the multi channel mix back on some 3-inch cube speakers, one a foot
behind you, another twenty feet away from you located in a corner,
another behind the couch, another in the kitchen (with your cold beer
filling the refrigerator), another not hooked up, and a sub turned all
the way to ten under your coffee table (vibrating your empty beer cans),
don't go blaming the mixing engineer for the results.

Even a solo instrument with nobody singing will sound better in multi
channel than in mono or stereo, if done right. The "rear" channels,
which aren't really much to the rear, typically have ambience
information in them. The direct instrument sound does not come from
them; you get sound that has been bounced around in a room. This will
give you an illusion of the room it was recorded in. Done properly, you
can tell if it was a little room or a symphony hall. Done properly, you
can tell *which* symphony hall it was recorded in, as they all sound
different. With one single solitary instrument playing, you should be
able to locate it in the room and be able to tell the dimensions of the
room it was recorded in.

The Dylan mixes may or may not be done this way. They may have
background vocals or whatever actually coming from the rear speakers
directly. We'll have to wait to hear.

Mono mixes of the first several records are already sold by Sundazed on
brand new vinyl releases. They can handle that market. The SACD/CD
market doesn't need mono.

Multi channel does not have to use the .1, the subwoofer channel. With
these releases it would be totally useless.

Bonus tracks are not welcome. They are like smelly pieces of fish thrown
to seals. You can yap yap yap for them all you want but it is a sad
thing to behold. Wait for them on another Bootleg Series, which is where
they belong. Bob makes a statement with each album, except maybe Knocked
Out Loaded, and reject tracks water down his vision.

Jan,
Number one Dylan fan in the world

Alan Fraser

Apr 22, 2003, 2:27:49 PM4/22/03
In article <ipdpa.17444$pr.30...@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "Don't says...

Cotton Eyed Joe

Apr 22, 2003, 4:21:42 PM4/22/03
<< I suspect they are underestimating the consumers of
Bob's music. >><BR><BR>

Yep. Sounds like Columbia/Sony to me.

Might I also suggest that it's a bad thing that Dylan's records will be the
first major dual-layer SACD line from Columbia, at least in terms of rock
music, or whatever you want to call it. Columbia tends to get things wrong the
first time around (and often after that). They're using Dylan's albums to test
the SACD market before they figure out how to best utilize the new
format...just like they did with Dylan's CDs! Dylan's CDs are some of the
worst available from a major artist like that (The Beatles CDs are pretty bad
too). If SACD catches on, you can bet that Dylan's SACDs will be inferior to
everything that comes after that, and we'll have to wait until the next format
comes along for updated remasters, which they'll no doubt both. SACD is very
promising, and they could be doing a lot with it. It's a perfect opportunity
to offer the mono and stereo mixes. It's unthinkable that they're remixing
these for 5.1 surround. Totally idiotic. This is supposedly an audiophile
format. What audiophile thinks that the best way to hear Freewheelin' is in
surround sound? I knew they'd fuck it up somehow.

Cotton Eyed Joe

Apr 22, 2003, 4:25:39 PM4/22/03
I realize now that Freewheelin' is not one of the titles being considered for
5.1, but I still think the whole thing is stupid.

Cotton Eyed Joe

Apr 22, 2003, 4:27:58 PM4/22/03
<< . If you are a
normal beer-drinking dude with a baseball cap on backwards, and you play
the multi channel mix back on some 3-inch cube speakers, one a foot
behind you, another twenty feet away from you located in a corner,
another behind the couch, another in the kitchen (with your cold beer
filling the refrigerator), another not hooked up, and a sub turned all
the way to ten under your coffee table (vibrating your empty beer cans),
don't go blaming the mixing engineer for the results. >><BR><BR>

Fucking hicks with their beer, don't know how to set up a multi thousand dollar
stereo system in their trailers and dorm rooms--I hope they fucking die!

Don't Tread On Me

Apr 22, 2003, 4:31:17 PM4/22/03
> Might I also suggest that it's a bad thing that Dylan's records will be
the
> first major dual-layer SACD line from Columbia, at least in terms of rock
> music, or whatever you want to call it. Columbia tends to get things
wrong the
> first time around (and often after that).

Like signing and resigning Dylan.

> Dylan's CDs are some of the
> worst available from a major artist like that (The Beatles CDs are pretty
bad
> too).

Give it some times, his voice takes a while to get used to.

> What audiophile thinks that the best way to hear Freewheelin' is in
> surround sound? I knew they'd fuck it up somehow.

You talk about it as if you have heard the disc in surround sound already?
But I can sympathize. Music just isn't that same with all of these
technological advancements. Forget todays gizmos, give me the days when you
could go see a live performance in mono.

Cotton Eyed Joe

Apr 22, 2003, 6:05:56 PM4/22/03
<< Forget todays gizmos, give me the days when you
could go see a live performance in mono. >><BR><BR>

I don't think stereo recreates the sound of a live performance, and neither
does surround sound. It's like a 3D movie in a sense. I think of recorded
sound and live sound as two seperate entities.

jan

Apr 22, 2003, 7:30:20 PM4/22/03
Live sound is highly processed, through consoles, mixing boards,
microphones, wires, PA speakers. It's not like you're really hearing
Bobby's natural voice.

Don't let anybody kid you; the studio is as real as any concert.

Jan

Alan Fraser

Apr 23, 2003, 12:35:41 PM4/23/03
On 21 Apr 2003 19:44:28 GMT, axel...@aol.com (Axelrod53) wrote:

>First, 15 titles will be issued this summer as hybrid CD/SACD issues, all newly
>remastered at minimum, and at least some remixed for 5.1 multi-channel, though
>how many are remixed is not clear to me.

I've put the inside cover of the Sony SACD May 2003 newsletter with
the info about these releases here:

http://searchingforagem.com/Pictures/0503InsideCover.jpg

(it's about 720kb)

There's a mistake in the text, which says "five albums are to be
released with an additional 5.1 mix", there are actually six and the
pictures are right.

You'll notice that Time Out Of Mind and The Bootleg Series Vol. 4:
Live 1966 have been dropped from this initial batch of releases, to be
replaced by Blonde On Blonde and Planet Waves.

Alan

jan

Apr 23, 2003, 7:09:11 PM4/23/03
This is the best news that I've ever heard.

Thanks, Alan.

Jan