Mood Music for Cyberpunk

Shayne Weyker

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
It's been a while since this list has been posted to a newsgroup and it's
been revised a lot since then. So here it is. Enjoy.

Note that the new-addition flags (!) are only used on changes since the
much more recent previous version posted to Britt's FTP archive.

Readers of alt.cyberpunk: the list was designed with role-playing gamers
in mind. The comments are guides to what sorts of scenes the music might
be appropriate for.

Shayne Weyker's Pseudo-Canonical Mood Music for Cyberpunk List

My list is pretty much void of any metal/thrash-type stuff because of my
personal tastes. Most of the music has a futuristic feel due to heavy use of
drum machines & synthesizers & samples. Much of it is pretty energetic and
frequently kind of dark. Some of it has futuristic lyrics. A good bit of it
could be called dance-industrial. I like all of it, except maybe that
Weezer song.

Since I update now and then and tend to hide new additions in odd places,
the most recent additions to the file will be led with an !.

Song titles are in ""
Album/12"/EP titles are _underscored_.

Absolute Must Haves:
--------------------
Willaim Orbit _Strange Cargo_, _Strange Cargo 2_, Strange Cargo III_ (mostly
mid-paced, mostly instrumental, SC III less so) (these all do an
outstanding job at evoking a futuristic setting)
! (A new one called _Strange Cargo: Hinterlands_ is out, too)
Shriekback _Oil and Gold_ (ranges from quiet to energetic, very CP lyrics)
Nine Inch Nails _Pretty Hate Machine_ (varies)
Renegade Soundwave _Soundclash_ (varies) [industrial brit reggae]
Soul Coughing _Ruby Vroom_, (ironic-nihlistic beat poetry archly
delivered w/acoustic bass plus rock guitar, drums, and samples).
Sisters of Mercy "This Corrosion", "Dominion/Mother Russia", "Lucretia"
CLOCKDVA "Connection Machine" on _The Hacker_ 12" (netrunning)
Skinny Puppy _Rabies_ (varies) [esp. "Rivers" w/cool HAL 9000 samples]
"Stairs and Flowers (def wish mix)", "Serpants" [instrumentals
from SP's 12" collection]
Stewart Copeland _The Equalizer and other Clifhangers_
New Order _Blue Monday '88_ 12" (energetic)
Consolidated _Friendly Fascism_ (anti-corporate industro-hiphop)
Machines of Loving Grace "Butterfly Wings" (lyrics hint at cyberpsychosis,
energetic)
!The Chemical Brothers _Exit Planet Dust_ (dance/industrial/techno music,
! "song to the siren" could be a good battle tune)
Cabaret Voltaire _Micro-Phonies_ (quiet but tense)
["Spies in the Wires" from this is a good netrunning tune]
Ministry _Stigmata_ 12" (*the* battle music song)
Apothoesis _O Fortuna_ 12" (battle) [a techno version of the
main theme of _Carmina Burana_](import)
In the Nursery "Compulsion" (battle)
The Water Boys "Be My Enemy" (battle)
VOIVOD "Batman" (very thrashy and distorted version of the old TV theme)
My Life w/the Thrill Kill Kult _The Devil Does Drugs_ 12" (battle)
"After the flesh" (from _The Crow_ soundtrack, battle)
TGT _Machine Gun_ 12" (battle) [tons of cool samples]

Meat Beat Manifesto _99%_ (varies, some battle music)
AC/DC "Back in Black" (battle)
Judas Priest "Screaming for Vengance" (battle)
Beastie Boys "Sabotage" (battle)
Pop Will Eat Itself "Get the girl, kill the baddies" (battle)
_Youngblood_ compilation: the Trilobites "All Hail the New Right"

Other music worth having:
-------------------------
[divided into two categories: Play Loud and Play Not So Loud]

Loud
----
Front 242 _Tragedy For You_ 12", _Welcome to Paradise_ 12"
[anti-televangelist song], "Manhunter"
Pop Will Eat Itself _Cure for Sanity_, _X, Y, and Z_ 12"
Tackhead _Ticking Time Bomb_ 12", "Demolition House" 12"
Judas Priest, "Electric Eye" (aggressive surveillance...)
PJ Harvey, "Down by the river"
Intermix "Targeted", _Intermix_ ("Targeted" has middle-eastern flavor)
_Future Primitives_ (FP is less industrial and more trancy)
Minsitry "Everyday is Halloween" (new wave dance, about goth lifestyle)
Beck "Soul Sucking Jerk", _Loser 12"_, (prole-boy life)
! "Mexico" from the _Rare on Air: Vol 1._ comp is good too.
Thomas Dolby "She Blinded Me With Science", "Hyperactive", _Best of_
Consolidated _The Myth of Rock_, _This is Fascism_ 12", "Dog and pony show"
"Industry, Corporate", "You Suck" (this last, with vox by the
Yeastie Girls could be a feminist-gang theme song)
Childman "Nonviolence (By any means necessary)" (Adam of
Consolidated)
Rage Against the Machine "Darkness" (from _The Crow_), and their new album
The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy "TV, the Drug of a Nation","Amos & Andy"
[anti-corporate-media messages]
Manufacture _Armed Forces_ 12 (military samples)
_Legend_ soundtrack "Goblins" (evasion and chase music)
Suicidal Tendencies "Institutionalized" (punk)
The Dead Kennedys "MTV get off the air!" (anti-corportate-music, punk)
Limbomaniacs "Maniac" (lots of samples from the proto-CP movie _Network_)
Shriekback "New Man", _Go Bang!_, "The Reptiles and I"
Test Department "Kick to Kill" (military basic-training samples)
Einsturzende Neubauten "Futter Mein Ego" (inside the mind of a psycho
stimulant-addict)
KMFDM "Naive", "What do you know? (Deutschland)", (anti-U.S. involvement
abroad, has way-cool cut-up of JFK's Berlin speech)
Nitzer Ebb "Family Man" (mafia/fixer music)
Contagion "PCB" (fast industial)
Non-Agression Pact "Freedom is an illusion" (Megalomaniacal world-
dominating AI, samples _Colossus: The Forbin Project_)
Moussolini Headkick "Plain Unhappy" (majorly cool samples)
Concrete Blonde "Still in Hollywood"
Stereo MC's "Connected", "Step it Up", "Elevate my Mind" (upbeat, positive)
Stakka Bo "Here we go" [very similar to Stereo MC's]
Jane's Addiction "Stop", "Been Caught Stealing"
Gary Clail "False Leader" (political, anti-military/establishment)
Three Merry Widows "Black Halo"
The Smiths "How Soon is Now?"
Nina Hagen _Zara_ 12", "Berlin ist Dufte", "Erfurt & Gera" (the last
about hijinx on the Autobahn, very fun)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers _Mother's Milk_, "Fight Like A Brave"
Prince "Partyman"
Utah Saints _Utah Saints_, "Something Good"
_Straight to Hell_ soundtrack (esp. title and tracks by Pray For Rain)
Dick Dale and the Deltones _Best of_ (includes "Misirlou" the main theme
from Pulp Fiction)
_Mission Impossible_ soundtrack Vols. 1 & 2 (Vol. 2 is
sampled on Portishead's "Nobody Loves Me").
Sunscreem _O3_ (ambient noise for events taking place in a dance club,
for people who can't stand real house or techno music)
Robin S "Show Me Love" (dance club music)
L.A. Style _James Brown is Dead_ 12" (club music)
The Prodigy _Outer Space_ 12", "Poison", (techno)
Voices of Khwan "Ya Yay Ya Yay Ya Yo" (trance-dance music
w/african flavor)
Big Audio Dynamite _This is Big Audio Dynamite_, "James Brown"
Ice-T & Body Count "Body Count" (combat)
Ice-T "Lethal Weapon" (funny lyrics if your game has psionics, "my lethal
weapon's my *mind*") Jello Biafra of the DKs has a cool dystopian
spoken word piece "Shut Up, Be Happy!" as the first track of the
_Iceberg_ album that contains "Lethal Weapon".
! "Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous" is a good song about being
! a successful Rockerboy-type.
Urban Dance Squad (a.k.a Dance Squad) side 1 of _Mental Floss for the Globe_
3rd Bass _The Cactus Album_
MC 900FT. Jesus "Truth is Out of Style" (personal improvement tips),
"Too Bad" (stalker/psycho-killer),
"Adventures in Failure" (over-the-edge suburbanite),
"If I Only Had a Brain".
Fishbone _Fishbone_, "Everyday Sunshine"
Chris Rea "The Road to Hell (Parts 1 and 2)" [reflections on the down
side of technology]
Lies Inc. "Kiss the Mayor" [from the _Snickers' New Music Search_
compilation somewhere around '88-'90, has ultra-cool
long sample from the _Robocop_ movie and the "Demon with
a glass hand" episode of The Outer Limits. Their song "Hit Me"
on the same compilation is good too.
Bad Religion "21st Century Digital Boy" (their older stuff isn't very
futuristic but is very solid political hardcore punk).
Adam Ant "Kings of the Wild Frontier", "Los Rancheros", "Stand and Deliver"

Not so loud
-----------
Future Sound of London _Lifeforms_ (21st century urban ambient/trance).
Single Gun Theory "Open Grave"
Depeche Mode _Violator_
Warren Zevon, _Transverse City_ (all-cyber lyrics), "Lawyers, Guns, and
Money"
Until the End of the World soundtrack "Humans From Earth" by T-Bone Burnett
The Cure "Fascination Street", "Kiss the Sky"
Electrotete _I Love You_ 12"(?) (good seduction background)
[on the In Order to Dance vol. 4 CD if no single avail.]
Art of Noise "Moments in Love" (mellow seduction music)
Chris and Cossey "Precursex" (twisted seduction music)
Pigface "Suck" (more twisted seduction music)
Lords of Acid "I Sit on Acid" (twisted seduction music for speed freaks)
_Repo Man_ Soundtrack (punk attitude, esp. "Pablo Picasso")
Oingo Boingo "Weird Science", _Best of_
DEVO _Best of: Vol. 1_
New Order [the first 5 songs on] _Substance_
The Fixx _Reach the Beach_, "Built for the future" 12"
Ajax "Mind the gap" (on _One World_ 12") (A rarity: female vox industrial)
The Orb _u.f.orb_ (especially "Towers of Dub"), _Orb Live '93_,
_Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld_
!The Dread Zone _360(degrees-symbol)_ (dub with lots of spagetti western
! samples ala early Big Audo Dyanamite)
The Shamen _En-Tact_ (unusually accessable dance music, better than
Sunscreem but less evocative of a "club" setting)
Tangerine Dream _Poland_, disc 1 of _Dream Sequence_, _Force Majure_
Silica Gel _Noisy Children Party_ (esp."Make Brain Roast", "Tar","Oddly
Bloodless" (The last has cool sampes about UFO abduction and cattle
mutilation. Group similar to Negativland in style, but darker))
Digital Underground "Packet Man" (rap: interesting lyrics about programmed
hallucinations via recreational drugs)
Big Daddy Kane "Aint No Half-Steppin"
Fortran 5 _Heart on the Line_ 12" (the "Vince Clark mix" is best)
Wire _The Drill_ 12" (the 'what's your desire' mix)
Happy Mondays _Step On_ 12", "Groovy Afro"
_Escape From New York_ Soundtrack (well, the first two songs anyway)
Lou Reed "Sick of You", "Dirty Boulevard"
Velvet Underground "Rock and Roll"
Peter Gabriel _Passion_ (middle eastern environments)
!Jah Wobble "Ya Lilli Ya Aini" (more middle east) [very cool]
!The Black Dog "Tahr" (even more middle east) [very cool]
Loud Sugar "No Ozone" (for cities where it's unhealthy to be outside,
funny made-up radio announcer samples)
1/2 Japanese "Said and Done", "Penny in the Fountain"
David Byrne _David Byrne_ (very minimal, has some neat songs about
genetic engineering and a post-modern third world)
Weezer "Buddy Holly" (Amusing Posergang Theme Song)

---------
Shayne Weyker
wey...@wam.umd.edu

William R. Hutton

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
In <48ru6p$j...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> wey...@wam.umd.edu (Shayne
Weyker) writes:

Not to nit-pick, but...

>Front 242 _Tragedy For You_ 12", _Welcome to Paradise_ 12"
> [anti-televangelist song], "Manhunter"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
Front 242 has stated themselves that this song is not _anti_ nor _pro_
televangelist, bit simply a comment on the existence of televangelists,
which puzzles them (in Europe, televangelists never caught on). This
was particularly due to their extensive popularity in the South and in
Mexico. And I think you intended "Headhunter".

>Moussolini Headkick "Plain Unhappy" (majorly cool samples)

"Empire", "Get Out" and "Naked & Bleeding" are all excellent also.

>Pigface "Suck" (more twisted seduction music)

Especially twisted if you have the version with Nivek Ogre singing lead
instead of Trent Reznor.

Have you ever heard "Cray Twins" by Renegade Soundwave? It's off of
the "Cocaine Sex" single...perfect Fixer music.

KenD1971

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
digit skinny puppy
mindphazer fla
head of levin digital poodle blue nine penal colony
language is erotica

Hardrock

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
When I am coding, programming, mudding, or just netcruising i really like
some of the better Japanese techno-rock, especially some of the stuff
from the Bubblegum Crisis/Crash soundtrack.

I also like come of the old synth-based concept rock from the seventies.

A.J. Hughes

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
In article <48v36f$1...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

>Cabaret Voltaire's double cd 'The Conversation' especially disc 2, it was
released in 1993. Also anything by Future Sound of London..especially ISDN.

>Alex

Stainless Steel Rat

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
kend...@aol.com (KenD1971) wrote:

>digit skinny puppy
>mindphazer fla
>head of levin digital poodle blue nine penal colony
>language is erotica

don't forget:

front 242
ministry
revco
misfits
machines of loving grace
front line assembly
chem lab
laibach

all good 'mood' music

ssr

Tony Johnston

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
In article <sdi-241195...@hoeder.imv.aau.dk>, s...@imv.aau.dk
(Severin) wrote:

>ANYTHING with Frontline Assembly is highly recommended.
>Also try some of the FLA sideprojects (Noise Unit, Will, Delerium,
>Intermix, Synestasia (sp?), Cyberaktif...).
>Skinny Puppy
>Leaetherstrip
>Armageddon Dildos
>Bigod 20
>NIN
>Hilt (SP by any other name)
>The Tear Garden (for those softie moments)
>Ministry
>PsychoPomps
>Paradise Lost (Gothic Metal)
>Slayer (Speed/Thrash Metal - for those berserking moments)
>Sepultura (Thrash Metal - ditto)
>Morbid Angel (Death/Thrash Metal - ditto)
>Anything Else?????

You forgot...

Fear Factory
Sisters of Mercy
Young Gods
Cassandra Complex
Fields of the Nephilim...

--
o--------------------oo--------------------o
The night will fall again

just...@cdp-ltd.demon.co.uk

Screaming In Digital

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
stee...@nacs.net (Stainless Steel Rat) wrote:

>front 242

Yeah!!! BTW, for some reason I have this feeling that "Circling
Overland" contains references to Screaming Fist (Gibson...
Neuromancer)

>ministry
>revco
>misfits
>machines of loving grace
>front line assembly
>chem lab

"RivetHead" and "Neurozone" are both kinda CP stuff.

Omar Haneef '96

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:

Billy Idol!

and also...

Bon Jovi "Slippery when wet"
Aerosmith
Led Zepellin
Eagles "Greatest Hits"

Enjoy, Cyberpunk!

Omar Haneef
Cyberpunk, Hacker, Powerful d00d

"Cyberpunks shall rule the globe" - Bruce Gibson

"Dystopia is now, we must be technopowerful" - William Sterling

Stefan Schneider Correa

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
William R. Hutton (cai...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: In <48ru6p$j...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu> wey...@wam.umd.edu (Shayne
: Weyker) writes:

: Not to nit-pick, but...

: >Front 242 _Tragedy For You_ 12", _Welcome to Paradise_ 12"
: > [anti-televangelist song], "Manhunter"
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

: Front 242 has stated themselves that this song is not _anti_ nor _pro_
: televangelist, bit simply a comment on the existence of televangelists,
: which puzzles them (in Europe, televangelists never caught on). This
: was particularly due to their extensive popularity in the South and in
: Mexico. And I think you intended "Headhunter".

:

If you want F242 mood music why don't you go for something like "Trigger 2"
"Scrapage" or "Masterhit"?

: >Moussolini Headkick "Plain Unhappy" (majorly cool samples)
: "Empire", "Get Out" and "Naked & Bleeding" are all excellent also.

: >Pigface "Suck" (more twisted seduction music)
: Especially twisted if you have the version with Nivek Ogre singing lead
: instead of Trent Reznor.

Yep, that's a cool one... but will you call it "seductive music"? :-)

: Have you ever heard "Cray Twins" by Renegade Soundwave? It's off of

: the "Cocaine Sex" single...perfect Fixer music.

I put my bid for Digital Poodle, FLA and Godflesh (especially "Mighty Trust
Krusher", "Tiny Tears", "Baby Blue Eyes" or "Slavestate"). And for really
moody music I think that The Orb or Future Sounds of London will be a far
better pick... :-)

Hardrock

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
25 Nov 1995 01:08:13 GMT Omar Haneef '96 (han...@engin.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
> You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:

> Billy Idol!

That is a stoneing offense 'round these here parts pilgrim---so let's get
stoned :)

> and also...

> Bon Jovi "Slippery when wet"

This has better be a joke. Unless you LIKE getting TARRED AND FEATHERED
> Aerosmith

Good music, but not for cyberpunk activities.

> Led Zepellin

Again, cyberpunk? Not really, but great with a good wine/good grass/good
woman (your choice)

> Eagles "Greatest Hits"

See Led Zeppelin

William R. Hutton

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
In <sdi-241195...@hoeder.imv.aau.dk> s...@imv.aau.dk (Severin)
writes:

>ANYTHING with Frontline Assembly is highly recommended.
>Also try some of the FLA sideprojects (Noise Unit, Will, Delerium,
>Intermix, Synestasia (sp?), Cyberaktif...).
>Skinny Puppy
>Leaetherstrip

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

X Marks the Pedwalk is in the same vein as Leatherstrip.

>Armageddon Dildos
>Bigod 20
>NIN
>Hilt (SP by any other name)
>The Tear Garden (for those softie moments)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Legendary Pink Dots (one-half of the Tear Garden project) would also
work.

Ministry
>PsychoPomps
>Paradise Lost (Gothic Metal)
>Slayer (Speed/Thrash Metal - for those berserking moments)
>Sepultura (Thrash Metal - ditto)
>Morbid Angel (Death/Thrash Metal - ditto)
>Anything Else?????

Stabbing Westward...the whole "Ungod" album is usable in a cyberpunk
game, but I just heard the second album that's to be released in
January and it has quite a few good tracks too.

William R. Hutton

Nov 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/26/95
In <justicar-241...@cdp-ltd.demon.co.uk>
just...@cdp-ltd.demon.co.uk (Tony Johnston) writes:

>You forgot...
>
>Fear Factory
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just heard this over the weekend and I didn't care for it...it got
thrown in the same pile as Engines of Aggression and Babyland.

>Sisters of Mercy
>Young Gods
>Cassandra Complex
>Fields of the Nephilim...

Sisters and Fields of the Nephilim are getting a little bit too Gothic.
There may be specific instances where a track by a Gothic band would
be appropriate, but IMHO the industrial side of the coin tends to fit
in better.

Michael Fiegel

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
Bach, Wagner, and Mussorgsky are good, too, and if you're looking for
something to add to the list of Industrial albums, try Shotgun Messiah's
Violent New Breed and the soundtracks to Hideaway, Showgirls, and Johnny
Mnemonic.

Why must cyberpunk ``mood'' music always end up being nothing more than a
list of every industrial band on the planet? Hell, I used to jam to
Nelson and Winger when I was in a cyberpunk mood. Note that I use the
word USED to. It's the attitude and the message, not the style, that
makes the mood. Hell, try some Sex Pistols or other classic punk, too,
or even some skate/thrash bands. Anything from face to face to Slayer to
iron Maiden to classic Sabbath...I can think of a lot of ``mood'' music
that doesn't involve the word industrial...

Just take a listen to Sabbath's Ironman or Judas Priest's Painkiller for
good zamples of what I'm talkin bout...

-Mikel

Susan M Danewitz

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
From: mi...@buffnet.net (Michael Fiegel)

>Bach, Wagner, and Mussorgsky are good, too, and if you're looking for
>something to add to the list of Industrial albums, try Shotgun Messiah's
>Violent New Breed and the soundtracks to Hideaway, Showgirls, and Johnny
>Mnemonic.

Best part of JM was the opera (cant recall--was it Boheme?) in the
background at the club. (or perhaps that guy getting sliced to ribbons...
anywho) Doesnt all have to be like the cp buildings, steel and harsh.

most of the industrial stuff is too rough around the edges for cyberpunk.
im no expert, but this John Zorn im listening to right now is quite
fucking awesome shit... cacophony adds ~atmosphere~ to what's going down...

also Laurie A, EBN and all those performance folx.

argus

Jonathan R Bezeau

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
Omar Haneef '96 (han...@engin.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
: You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:

: Billy Idol!

: and also...

: Bon Jovi "Slippery when wet"

BAH! See! I was right about BI and BJ being _cyberpunk_! <laughs at own
sarcasm>... I think Idol's a sellout and Bon Jovi might be more cyberpunk
than him - they're not mainstream anymore, and sing a lot of
isolation/solitary cowboy songs, but they're too lovey-dovey and not 'in
your face' enough.

Jonboy!

William R. Hutton

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
In <49a499$h...@io.usb.ve> 91-2...@shaddam.usb.ve (Stefan Schneider
Correa) writes:

>If you want F242 mood music why don't you go for something like
"Trigger 2"
> "Scrapage" or "Masterhit"?

'Dems good, too. There are several more off of "Front by Front" and
"Tragedy for You" that are good mood songs too (I don't have them with
me so I can't check the names right now).

>Yep, that's a cool one... but will you call it "seductive music"? :-)

Sure...along with a couple KMFDM songs and Nitzer Ebb's "Captivate."
There's some good seductive Skinny Puppy (from their earlier stuff), as
well as "Black Leather" by the Klinik. A lot of experimental music (In
The Nursery, Controlled Bleeding, and a few others I can't remember)
have strong sexual content (usually with regards to magick).

>: Have you ever heard "Cray Twins" by Renegade Soundwave? It's off of
>: the "Cocaine Sex" single...perfect Fixer music.

>I put my bid for Digital Poodle, FLA and Godflesh (especially "Mighty
Trust
>Krusher", "Tiny Tears", "Baby Blue Eyes" or "Slavestate"). And for
really
>moody music I think that The Orb or Future Sounds of London will be a
far
>better pick... :-)

I always liked Nonaggression Pact's remake of Book of Love's
"Boy"...but we're kinda going for overall mood - e.g., simply
"Cyberpunk" music. The biggest point I've been trying to get across is
*style over substance*. It doesn't matter if Yes or Jethro Tull have
songs about corporations ruining the environment or cyborgs or
computers - the style of the music is wrong for cyberpunk. It just so
happens that most industrial has the style and the substance.

William R. Hutton

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
In <49b1d4$2...@buffnet2.buffnet.net> mi...@buffnet.net (Michael Fiegel)
writes:

>It's the attitude and the message, not the style, that
>makes the mood. Hell, try some Sex Pistols or other classic punk,
>too, or even some skate/thrash bands. Anything from face to face to
>Slayer to iron Maiden to classic Sabbath...I can think of a lot of
>``mood'' music that doesn't involve the word industrial...

I have to refute that - it is the style, and not the content, that
makes it cyberpunk. Remember Sigue Sigue Sputnik? I consider them
cyberpunk because of the STYLE of their music (they didn't have a
message). It just so happens that industrial bands have both. My best
friend said it best the other day - if the music makes you visualize
scenes from a cyberpunk story, then it's the right music. For me,
Winger, regular punk, Black Sabbath or anything other than industrial
doesn't do it for me. KMFDM, A Split Second, Nitzer Ebb and Front 242
do. I mean, what better to play during a riot than A Split Second's
"Crimewave?".

Damaged

Nov 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/27/95
Well, all I can say is this...
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

Thomas Eicher

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
Omar Haneef '96 (han...@engin.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
: You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:

: Billy Idol!

Uhm how about some Nelson.

And East 17 is pretty cyberpunky too !

Tom.
--
Thomas Eicher - tei...@limburg.mch.sni.de
My opinions need not reflect those of my employer

Tony Johnston

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
In article <49ef82$1...@horus.mch.sni.de>, tei...@pfm.PFM-Mainz.DE (Thomas
Eicher) wrote:

>Uhm how about some Nelson.
>
>And East 17 is pretty cyberpunky too !
>
>Tom.
>--

Come along, now, Tommy. Back to the nice, warm chat, where you
belong...stop disturbing the others...

Randall Thomas

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
Definately fear factory... and G//Z/R...

Reo H. Maynard

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
Damaged (dam...@buffnet.net) wrote:
: Well, all I can say is this...

: Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

Nine Inch Nails:
Either "Broken" or "Fixed"
--
Reo H. Maynard III sci...@infi.net
http://www.infi.net/~scipio

William R. Hutton

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
In <damaged-2711...@dppp12.buffnet.net> dam...@buffnet.net

(Damaged) writes:

>Well, all I can say is this...
>Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

I'd forgotten about the granddaddy of all industrial music meself - I
must be getting senile.

Tony Johnston

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
In article <damaged-2711...@dppp12.buffnet.net>,
dam...@buffnet.net (Damaged) wrote:

>Well, all I can say is this...
>Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music.

I'll second that one. I'd forgotten all about it, actually.

Omar Haneef '96

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
Let me just say that the whole Bon Jovi, Billy Idol, Aerosmith thing was
supposed to be an obvious joke. I took the cheesiest, meanstreamest, cliched
music and joked about it being cp. I was shocked that it was taken seriously
(Bon Jovi? C'mon!)

Irony is dead.

-Omar

'Rogue' B. Horton

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95

On 28 Nov 1995, Thomas Eicher wrote:

> Omar Haneef '96 (han...@engin.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
> : You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:
>
> : Billy Idol!
>

> Uhm how about some Nelson.
>
> And East 17 is pretty cyberpunky too !
>
> Tom.
> --

> Thomas Eicher - tei...@limburg.mch.sni.de
> My opinions need not reflect those of my employer
> Looks good on the outside but Intel inside

One of my personal favorites is Six Feet Deep b y the Ghetto Boys (I thnk).
Always gotta play it when somebody bites the big one (which has been
happening quit often the last few games 3char in 3 weeks).

Rogue
| "Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is it's own purpose. |
| You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't |
| ask why I fight" |

Matt Duggan

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
: (Severin) wrote:

: >ANYTHING with Frontline Assembly is highly recommended.
: >Anything Else?????

: You forgot...

: Sisters of Mercy

Definitely... especially the earlier versions of tracks like Temple of
Love, and Detonation Blvd...

-- Matt.

Matthew Duggan
Unisys Australia, Information Technology Service Centre.
Mobile: 019 413 523 Email: ma...@pitvax.xx.rmit.edu.au

Tony Johnston

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
In article <49iudh$e...@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU>,
s931...@arcadia.cs.rmit.edu.au (Matt Duggan) wrote:

>Tony Johnston (just...@cdp-ltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: You forgot...
>
>: Sisters of Mercy
>
>Definitely... especially the earlier versions of tracks like Temple of
>Love, and Detonation Blvd...

I was thinking mire of stuff like Body Electric and Afterhours
meself...Detonation Blvd is too close to what Mr Idol was basically
doing...

Thomas Eicher

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
Tony Johnston (just...@cdp-ltd.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: >Uhm how about some Nelson.

: >And East 17 is pretty cyberpunky too !

: Come along, now, Tommy. Back to the nice, warm chat, where you
: belong...stop disturbing the others...

Now come along, this whole thread is pointless. I consider Tori Amos
cyberpunky, and Anne Clark. Anybody wanna argue ? Feel free to.

Anyway, East 17, owned by a major Zaibatsu(sp?), use Televison to
twist the minds of their viewers. Using sublimal messages, going to
the subconsciuosness of 14-year-old girls. Pretty cyberpunky if you
ask me.

-Tom.

Don Juneau

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95

And if REO Meatwagon comes to revive it, I'm gonna be seriously p*ssed.
<reload reload reload>

Don (Now where's Billy Idol? SHK-CHUK) Juneau

Michael Fiegel

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
Don't forget that Gibson himself has plenty of references to the Meat
Puppets, a band he acknowledged listening to when writing his novels.
The Meat Puppets are NOT at all a ``typical cyberpunk band''. They've
been branded (no pun intended) a ``cowpunk band''. Are the Meat Puppets
cyberpunk because they inspired Gibson? Hell, if Nelson or the Bee-Gees
inspire me to write cyberpunk novels, does that make them cyberpunk music?

I'm not arguing either point...just laying this on the table. Take yer
shots.

-Mikel

William R. Hutton

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
In <49n5u2$1...@buffnet2.buffnet.net> mi...@buffnet.net (Michael Fiegel)
writes:
>I'm not arguing either point...just laying this on the table. Take
yer
>shots.

Actually, in many cases the inspiration does not equal the end
product...my mind seems to thrive in a creative environment where the
input has little or nothing to do with the output. Because I get
inspiration for cyberpunk material from Locke, Hume, Frank Miller, or
even Marshall Macluhan doesn't make the input "cyberpunk", even if the
output is. When _I_ refer to mood music for cpunk I'm referring to
end-product music that matches the mood of end-product cpunk.

TS

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
[snip]

>all good 'mood' music
>
>ssr

Yeah, but the best is:

ABBA
Captain and Taneal
Glenn Miller
and, of course The Bee Gee's

TS

Jonathan R Bezeau

Dec 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/3/95
Omar Haneef '96 (han...@engin.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
: Let me just say that the whole Bon Jovi, Billy Idol, Aerosmith thing was
: supposed to be an obvious joke. I took the cheesiest, meanstreamest, cliched
: music and joked about it being cp. I was shocked that it was taken seriously
: (Bon Jovi? C'mon!)

: Irony is dead.

: -Omar

I was actually joking when I suggested that JBJ was more CP than Billy
Idol (who's not cyberpunk either IMHO -- try not jumping on the wagon Billy)
But Bill's got the Hip Pin advantage, so there ya go. Cyborg rock.

However I really think it sucks that everyone's just going out and
tooting Industrial's horn for being CP just 'cause it's their favorite
music. It's got it's place, but I think Biohazard, ?Napalm Death? and
(not quite deathmetal, but getting up there) kinda fit
because they's so political.

Everyone together now:
BIO TECH
BIO TECH
BIO TECH
ISGODZILLA!!!!

Dance is also cyberpunk - totally canned, prepackaged, remixed,
who-gives-a-shit 15 minute to make instahits. That's what people are in
for nowadays - no thinking either. Good for the company, good for the
listeners.

What's rock gonna be in thirty years anyhow? Oldies. Maybe Polka's on
the comeback trail.

Jonboy!

Brian Burdett

Dec 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/4/95
homer08.u.washington.edu>
'Rogue' B. Horton (ta...@u.washington.edu) wrote:

: On 28 Nov 1995, Thomas Eicher wrote:

: > Omar Haneef '96 (han...@engin.swarthmore.edu) wrote:
: > : You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:
: >
: > : Billy Idol!
: >
: > Uhm how about some Nelson. And the Mormon Tabernachle Choir!!!

: >

: > And East 17 is pretty cyberpunky too !
: >

: > Tom.
: > --

: ------------------------------------------------------------------------
: | "Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is it's own purpose. |
: | You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't |
: | ask why I fight" |
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

--

Brian Burdett
a046...@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

J.W.Thomas

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95
In article <495q9t$8...@larch.cc.swarthmore.edu>,

Omar Haneef '96 <han...@engin.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
>You guys forgot the most important cyberpunk music:
>
>Billy Idol!

<CHOP>
Well, he has got metal pins in his legs....
does that make him a cyborg?

>and also...
>
>Bon Jovi "Slippery when wet"

>Aerosmith
>Led Zepellin
>Eagles "Greatest Hits"
<CHOP>
You left out the Partridge Family and the Carpenters

>Omar Haneef
>Cyberpunk, Hacker, Powerful d00d

CHOPPER The god is absent
ChOpPeR His dead leaves are piling
cHoPpEr And all is deserted

Screaming In Digital

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
A little out of left-field maybe, but "Adagio For Strings" by Samuel
Barber has that kinda dark feel that CP is all about. Perhaps it's
the reference to Adagio in the Oliver Stone movie "Platoon" that makes
it meaningful to me.

SiD, who thinks that ragtime and classical are just as welcome in a
cyberpunk setting as industrial.