Cannot mount virtual drive to desktop

Chris

Feb 18, 2004, 10:41:26 PM2/18/04
I'm using Virtual PC 6.1 running on Mac OS X 10.2.8. I want to back up
files from my Windows XP image. I've shut down the PC, saving all hard
drive changes. The "Mount Drive Now" button is enabled, but when I click
it, nothing happens. It appears that for whatever reason, Virtual PC will
not let me mount the drive to my desktop. Can someone help me with this
problem? Am I missing some minor thing?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

William M. Smith

Feb 20, 2004, 11:07:49 PM2/20/04
On 2/19/04 12:54 AM, in article
cbfd6d9f.04021...@posting.google.com, "Donald Hamilton"
<dh1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I am planning to buy VPC 6.0 +Windows XP. I have a PB G4/400/512mb
> Titanium. At present I have a 10gb hd. I would like to know if I could
> install VPC and XP on an external firewire harddrive. I am running
> Panther on my internal drive. Please advise.

Hi Donald!

VPC is two parts.

The first part is the Virtual PC application itself. It's sole purpose is to
emulate a real PC -- hence it's a "virtual" pc. Its footprint on your hard
drive is probably comparable to other Mac applications you have, so I'd
advise you install it in your Applications directory as normal.

The second part is the disk image, which is nothing but a huge file. When
this file is opened by Virtual PC, it appears as a hard disk for Windows
complete with the Windows operating system and any Windows applications
you'd want to run. A good comparison would be that Virtual PC is to a disk
image as Microsoft Word is to a text document.

The disk image can be located anywhere, since it's a file, and it can be
opened from any location just like any Word document can be opened from
anywhere on your computer.

For best results, especially with an older system such as yours, make sure
your fire wire drive is as fast as your internal drive and you have plenty
of memory that you can allocate to the VPC application.

Hope this helps! bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP)

Chris

Feb 21, 2004, 7:01:05 PM2/21/04
A follow-up question: Might my problem be related to the permissions
currently in effect on the Virtual PC file in question?

Chris

On 2/18/04 7:41 PM, in article
BC597066.4724%cb...@removethisthingy.ix.netcom.com, "Chris"

David Fenwick

Mar 1, 2004, 3:04:22 PM3/1/04
I'm having the same problem: No error message, no disk activity, no nothing
(or lots of nothing). Permissions are Read-Write across the board, Fat32
file system (not NT). Anyone have any other ideas?

On 2/18/04 19:41, in article
BC597066.4724%cb...@removethisthingy.ix.netcom.com, "Chris"

David Fenwick

Mar 1, 2004, 3:30:00 PM3/1/04
I just discovered a reason why the disk isn't mounting.

I use the "€" character (option-8) in front of the disk name so Retrospect
doesn't backup my entire 4.7GB Drive every time one bit changes. I want to
mount the drive on the Mac desktop so an incremental backup can be done.

Apparently, the option-8 character is not seen by Virtual PC as a legal
character for a mounted disk, so Virtual PC won't mount it. Remove the
option-8 character and it will mount.

According to Virtual PC Help, allowing Retrospect to do a incremental
back-up of the disk image seems to be a primary reason for the ability to
mount drives. Unfortunately, if the option-8 character is removed,
Retrospect will do an automatic incremental back-up of the entire Virtual PC
drive image too, which defeats the purpose.

Microsoft should fix this problem. I can't be the only one who does this.

Chris

Mar 1, 2004, 4:31:06 PM3/1/04
Thanks for this information. I don't think I have quite the same problem
with special characters in the disk name. However, would you suggest
changing the name of the disk anyway? If so, how would I go about doing
this in Virtual PC?

Chris

On 3/1/04 12:30 PM, in article BC68DD48.9B9%DFen...@vLetter.com, "David

Dave

Mar 1, 2004, 5:29:43 PM3/1/04
Find the disk in the Virtual PC List and click on NONE and OK. There will be
a message that the drive is no longer in the PC Document and is now shown as
a separate file, which is what you want. You can then change the name of the
disk using the Finder.

-Dave

On 3/1/04 13:31, in article
BC68EB9A.52CE%cb...@removethisthingy.ix.netcom.com, "Chris"

Chris

Mar 24, 2004, 10:44:12 AM3/24/04
Bump. Has anyone else experienced this problem?