Platinum 3000 Upgrade

A. Grayson Walker III

Feb 15, 2003, 5:53:50 PM2/15/03
I have a PB Platinum 3000 -- this uses the PB 760 Motheboard, which appears to be similar to the Intel PD440FX. After a flash bios update, I was able to upgraded the cpu from a PII 233 to a PII 300. The mobo has 4 slots for edo ram, currently filled with 4 64s. The docs state the maximum ram is 256. Does anybody know of a bio update that will allow this mobo to recognize 4 128s, or better?

Ben Myers

Feb 15, 2003, 7:57:13 PM2/15/03
The PB760 motherboard is an Intel-made PD440FX with a minor wrinkle in the BIOS
(DT0R suffix) and splash screen to identify it as having been made for PB. The
PD440FX specification states that the maximum amount of memory supported by the
board is 256MB. It is unlikely that the board would properly recognize 128MB
72-pin SIMMs, but you never know. I do not think that 128MB 72-pin SIMMs were
available when the board was designed, and they are quite rare in any case.

The specification for the 440FX "Natoma" chipset used on the PD440FX indicates
1GB maximum possible memory in a maximum of 8 SIMM sockets. If you can snag a
pair of 128's for very little money, it would be worth a try. Otherwise, it's
up to you to determine how much money to spend to experiment... Ben Myers

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:53:50 -0500, "A. Grayson Walker III" <agw...@fdn.com>
wrote:

>I have a PB Platinum 3000 -- this uses the PB 760 Motheboard, which =
>appears to be similar to the Intel PD440FX. After a flash bios update, I =
>was able to upgraded the cpu from a PII 233 to a PII 300. The mobo has 4 =
>slots for edo ram, currently filled with 4 64s. The docs state the =
>maximum ram is 256. Does anybody know of a bio update that will allow =

A. Grayson Walker III

Feb 15, 2003, 11:00:24 PM2/15/03
Ben, Thanks for the thoughtful response.

The manual on this mobo (www.utksupport.co.uk.pb/mb/760.htm) states the max. ram is 256MB. I was surprised to read it also supports 16MBx64 (128MB) chips. With four SIMM sockets, it hints there might be a way for it to see 512MB. Now if I could only find four 128MB.

Elector

Feb 16, 2003, 9:47:11 AM2/16/03

"A. Grayson Walker III" <agw...@fdn.com> wrote in message

Ben, Thanks for the thoughtful response.

The manual on this mobo (www.utksupport.co.uk.pb/mb/760.htm) states the max. ram is 256MB.
I was surprised to read it also supports 16MBx64 (128MB) chips. With four SIMM sockets, it
hints there might be a way for it to see 512MB. Now if I could only find four 128MB.

Try http://www.ramjet.com or any local computer store for PNY memory (which I use) or go
to the many Memory sites that have deals http://www.google.com for the search.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Anthony

Feb 16, 2003, 12:53:33 PM2/16/03

"Elector" <ele...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

I would also check Half.com and Ebay.com I recently got four 32mb 72pin
simss (128mb total) for $30 on Half.com

Regards,
Anthony