Question: Air Layering

JASON S. NORRELL

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

I am new to Bonsai and I have been reading the posts in the news groups.
Could someone please explain what air layering is. Is that a form a
creating exposed roots?

thanks

P.S. I also wanted to let everyone know that I like the news group and it
is very relaxing to read the helpful and informative message everyone post
on here.

Have a good one.

Jason S. Norrell

d...@nornet.on.ca

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

>thanks

>Have a good one.

>Jason S. Norrell

Hi Jason: First off, I'm glad, as I'm sure many others are, that you
enjoy the newsgroup. I must admit this group has less bickering
(though there is still some) than others groups I read. This makes it
very enjoyable to read.

Air Layering: This is the process by which you create roots on an
exposed portion of the trunk with the eventual task of seperating the
layering from the base of the trunk. This is done frequently to
propagate difficult species, correct trunk deficiences or to shorten
the overall height of a tree.

Here's the crash course on how I do it. I use the ring bark method.
First decide where you want to have the layer. Then, with a very
sharp knife so you acheive good cuts, ring the bark completely around
the tree. Do this again about 1inch below the first cut. By making a
vertical cut between the two rings, you can now remove the bark
completely. Make sure you remove right down past the cambium (green
stuff), or it could possibly heal over.

Now, dust the upper cut end with a rooting hormone appropriate for the
particular tree. I usually use Stim Root #3 (0.8% IBA) because of the
size and age of my layers. Next I wrap the whole area with sphagnum
moss that has soaked overnight in Superthrive (sorry Joel, not a
believer, just a follower). Any B1 Vitamin supplement for plants will
work such as Pland Starter Juice, etc.

I then wrap this ball of moss with Cling Wrap fairly tightly to hold
everthing in place. Next comes a loose layer of black plastic. The
only purpose of the black plastic is too allow the sun to heat up the
layer. Developing roots like heat. If doing an indoor layer, I
usually skip this part.

Every once in a while, I check the layers to make sure they haven't
dried out. If they need water, I add a little bit that has added
Superthrive to it.

When the roots have developed and I can see nice white fleshy roots
throught the clear plastic, I chop the layer off with a good pruning
saw (pruners if a small layer) and remove the plastic, however;
keeping the rootball totally intact. These roots are very brittle. I
then plant in the tree in the ground until the following spring. My
land is pure sand (tobacco farm), so drainage is good, but I have to
watch watering and feeding closely. In the spring, I dig the tree up
and continue on with the bonsai process.

I hope this helps you and if you need more information, there are many
good books on plant propagation that have some excellent pictures and
more detail as to the other methods.

DAve (Think small, grow a bonsai)

Zone 6B, Southern Ontario, Canada

Michael Persiano

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

<< I am new to Bonsai and I have been reading the posts in the news groups.
Could someone please explain what air layering is. Is that a form a
creating exposed roots?

Jason:

Air layering is a method used to produce roots at desirable locations on
branches and trunks. The rooted piece is eventually removed from the host
and then planted as a self-sustaining unit.

I have selected a few methods for your consideration. I recommend that you
try
method C for quick results.

A. Bark Removal Method:

1. At the desired air layering site, make two circular cuts around the trunk
with a sharp knife, and remove the bark. The distance between the cuts will
vary based on the diameter of the trunk (anywhere from 1/2" to11/2").
Variation: instead of removing a ring of bark, remove (vertically)
rectangular pieces or windows of bark and leave "bridges" of bark to minimize
shock to the tree.

2. Dust the cut area with rooting hormone.

3. Apply sphagnum moss which has been soaked in a strong solution of
Superthrive evenly around the cut site.

4. Wrap clear plastic over the sphagnum moss and then seal the top and
bottom with ties.

5. As the moss begins to dry, inject a solution of Superthrive into the
sealed plastic with a syringe (be careful).

B. Torniquet Method:

1. At the desired air layering site, twist a piece of wire tightly around
the trunk as if applying a torniquet. The wire will slowly cut into the bark
and roots will develop.

2. Follow steps 2-5 as written above.

C. Flap Method:

1. At the desired air layering site, make a circular cut.

2. Above the circular cut, create flaps of bark by making vertical cuts
of equal width and height.

3. Lift the flaps and insert small stones to keep the flaps from
resealing.

4. Cut an appropriately sized plastic pot in half.

5. Remove a half-moon shaped piece from the bottom of each half such that
the two halves, when placed together, equal the diameter of the air
layering site on the trunk.

6. Dust the cut site with rooting hormone.

7. Position each half around the cut site and then tape the two halves
together.

8. Fill the pot with a free-draining soil mixture.

9. Water the soil with a solution of Superthrive.

Variations of these methods can be written for several pages. For hard to
root specimens, such as Pines, Methods A and B might take one-two years
(possibly longer). Method C should produce results in 3-4 months. Methods
A, B,
and C will be significantly accelerated if the cut sight is consistently
watered with a Superthrive solution.

Once the root mass has developed, carefully detach the rooted piece (and wire
if present), and pot the layering in an appropriate soil mix.

Advanced books on propagation can offer many more details on this subject.
The best temperature for root growth is anywhere in the mid 60's
(Fahrenheit).

This should be enough to get you on your way.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

***************
To sign-off this list send email to list...@home.ease.lsoft.com with the
text of the message reading SIGNOFF BONSAI.
--- This service sponsored, in part, by Daniel Cwiertniewicz (USA) ---

Hortus

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97
to JASON S. NORRELL

JASON S. NORRELL wrote:

> I am new to Bonsai and I have been reading the posts in the news groups.
> Could someone please explain what air layering is. Is that a form a
> creating exposed roots?
>
> thanks
>
> P.S. I also wanted to let everyone know that I like the news group and it
> is very relaxing to read the helpful and informative message everyone post
> on here.
>
> Have a good one.
>
> Jason S. Norrell

Dear Jason,

Airlayering is a wonderful technique to propagate (some) cuttings since
some plants are difficult to propagate unless you have very controlled
greenhouse...and rooting process takes a long time.

Below is basic information.

If you need free Rhizopon samples let me know your snail mail address
and I will send with tech info.

Take cuttings from the current years growth and after about 2 months
after stem initiation.
Best rooting is from cuttings taken from the base of the plant not the
top of the plant.

Commercial growers use air layering:

For media use coco nut fiber of peat moss, wet down.

If using coco make sure the processing salts ate washed out.

Wound the stem of the plant at the place you want to root.

Dust with rooting hormones.
The rooting may be done without rooting hormone but you will develop
more uniform roots and faster initiation if you use the hormones.
For a young cutting we recommend IBA with a concentration of 0.3 to 0.8%
such as Rhizopon AA #2 and #3 available from your local hort
supply...they can order from V-J Grower Supply 800-327-5422).

Apply the fiber or moss.

Cover with aluminum foil.

regards
Joel

--
PO Box 1956 Old Chelsea Station, New York NY 10113 USA