ZoomFloppy on Linux

Ian Colquhoun

Feb 1, 2011, 3:02:05 PM2/1/11
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
First, let me mention that I got my ZoomFloppy working on my Windows 7
64-bit laptop without issue. I did experience the same thing that
Steve did where the install driver dialog didn't launch automatically,
it just reported an error. Running hdwwiz manually was easy enough
though.

I've been following the thread here
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4D3872EF.4010905%40root.org&forum_name=opencbm-user
about getting ZF to go in Linux and I'm experiencing the same issue
that Glenn is. I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 with an amd64 arch.

ian@saturn:~/c64/opencbm/xum1541$ sudo cbmctrl detect
USB error in xum1541_wait_status: No error
ian@saturn:~/c64/opencbm/xum1541$ sudo cbmctrl detect
previous command was interrupted, resetting
USB error in xum1541_wait_status: No error

ian@saturn:/usr/local/lib/opencbm/plugin$ l
total 84
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8736 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xa1541.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xa1541.so ->
libopencbm-xa1541.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xa1541.so.0
-> libopencbm-xa1541.so.0.4.99.91
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13830 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xa1541.so.0.4.99.91
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25248 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xum1541.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xum1541.so ->
libopencbm-xum1541.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xum1541.so.0
-> libopencbm-xum1541.so.0.4.99.91
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24993 2011-01-31 22:04 libopencbm-xum1541.so.0.4.99.91
ian@saturn:/usr/local/lib/opencbm/plugin$ ldd libopencbm-xum1541.so.0.4.99.91
linux-vdso.so.1 => (0x00007fff559ff000)
libusb-0.1.so.4 => /lib/libusb-0.1.so.4 (0x00007f8ac7227000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f8ac7023000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f8ac6c9f000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f8ac765c000)

As you can see, it is linked correctly to the libusb-0.1.12 library. Any ideas?

--
Ian Colquhoun <icolq...@gmail.com>

Nate Lawson

Feb 14, 2011, 9:08:52 PM2/14/11
On 2/1/2011 12:02 PM, Ian Colquhoun wrote:
> First, let me mention that I got my ZoomFloppy working on my Windows 7
> 64-bit laptop without issue. I did experience the same thing that
> Steve did where the install driver dialog didn't launch automatically,
> it just reported an error. Running hdwwiz manually was easy enough
> though.
>
> I've been following the thread here
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4D3872EF.4010905%40root.org&forum_name=opencbm-user
> about getting ZF to go in Linux and I'm experiencing the same issue
> that Glenn is. I'm on Ubuntu 10.10 with an amd64 arch.
>
> ian@saturn:~/c64/opencbm/xum1541$ sudo cbmctrl detect
> USB error in xum1541_wait_status: No error
> ian@saturn:~/c64/opencbm/xum1541$ sudo cbmctrl detect
> previous command was interrupted, resetting
> USB error in xum1541_wait_status: No error

I haven't responded since I don't use Linux on any machines here. I
would have to get around to installing it and then testing/debugging
opencbm on it. That's why it's near the bottom of my hobby todo list
right now.

Mac OS X is tested and works fine. I have one on my desk. There should
be nothing major that is unique to Linux, so this is likely some small
problem (libusb internals?)

I hope someone can help you. I may eventually get to this after the
other issues. Does any other libusb-based program work for you on the
same box?

--
Nate

Pete Rittwage

Feb 14, 2011, 9:51:17 PM2/14/11
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
I tried some testing last weekend and I was unable to get newer OpenCBM versions to work at all on Linux (FC13 or Ubuntu) even with the XA1541 cable, so this isn't specifically a ZF issue.  Hopefully someone using Linux can look at it soon and find a solution or workaround.

Pete

Ian Colquhoun

Feb 15, 2011, 11:23:52 AM2/15/11
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Nate Lawson <na...@root.org> wrote:
> I haven't responded since I don't use Linux on any machines here. I
> would have to get around to installing it and then testing/debugging
> opencbm on it. That's why it's near the bottom of my hobby todo list
> right now.

No problem. Fair enough.

> Mac OS X is tested and works fine. I have one on my desk. There should
> be nothing major that is unique to Linux, so this is likely some small
> problem (libusb internals?)

I'm not so sure as indicated on my opencbm-users post. The XA1541
module isn't working either and that isn't related to libusb.

> I hope someone can help you. I may eventually get to this after the
> other issues. Does any other libusb-based program work for you on the
> same box?

I don't know. Looking through the reverse depends for both libusb
version, I don't think I actually use anything else that makes use of
it.

--
Ian Colquhoun

Nate Lawson

Feb 15, 2011, 8:43:26 PM2/15/11
On 2/15/2011 8:23 AM, Ian Colquhoun wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM, Nate Lawson <na...@root.org> wrote:
>> Mac OS X is tested and works fine. I have one on my desk. There should
>> be nothing major that is unique to Linux, so this is likely some small
>> problem (libusb internals?)
>
> I'm not so sure as indicated on my opencbm-users post. The XA1541
> module isn't working either and that isn't related to libusb.

This could be related. Perhaps there is an shared library path problem.
I'll discuss this more on the opencbm list.

--
Nate

rhurst

Apr 3, 2011, 12:25:57 PM4/3/11
to ZoomFloppy Users
FYI, I posted a bug tracker in regards to this on OpenCBM SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3272103&group_id=122047&atid=692219

Running into the same issue as the original poster, except the latest
CVS (as of today) code allowed me to use my older parallel adapter
(XM1541) in place of ZoomFloppy.

Nate Lawson

Apr 3, 2011, 1:25:10 PM4/3/11
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com

I don't understand since this bug has been fixed. Linux works fine.

Perhaps you should be using the latest source from GIT and not CVS? I'm
not sure, but I think CVS is only being kept around for historical
purposes and all new changes are only present in GIT. We didn't choose
to switch over to disrupt people, btw, this was because Sourceforge had
CVS problems for about a month.

Here's how to get code from GIT:

git clone git://opencbm.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencbm/opencbm

Here's the patch I committed to fix Linux:

http://opencbm.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=opencbm/opencbm;a=commit;h=b0a456f

--
Nate

TheFly...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2011, 4:49:03 PM4/3/11
to zoomflop...@googlegroups.com
Oh, excellent news... did not know about the CVS repositories being deprecated by git. It works like a charm, thanks!

Nadja Auamann

May 22, 2011, 12:22:57 PM5/22/11
to ZoomFloppy Users

Hi,

I took the opencbm source from git. When I trie to compile I get this
error:

make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/phobos/opencbm/opencbm/libmisc'
make[1]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/home/phobos/opencbm/opencbm/lib'
cl65 -c --feature labels_without_colons --feature pc_assignment --
feature loose_char_term --asm-include-dir .. --asm-include-dir ../
libd64copy/ -o ../libcbmcopy/turboread1541.tmp ../libcbmcopy/
turboread1541.a65
make[1]: cl65: Kommando nicht gefunden
make[1]: *** [../libcbmcopy/turboread1541.o65] Fehler 127
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/home/phobos/opencbm/opencbm/lib'
make: *** [opencbm] Fehler 1

Which means cl65 command not found. I tried to install it but doesn't
work. Is there a possibility to compile without cl65? I think I don't
need it, because I just want to copy and regarding to the howtow,
which says "Starting with version cbm4linux 0.2.3, OpenCBM includes
precompiled 6502 binaries, so as long as you don't touch the .a65
files, there's no need for a crossassembler."

I'm using ubuntu 10.05 LTS

Thanks a lot :)