Test and Git Repositories

Nathan

Oct 23, 2009, 3:18:43 PM10/23/09
to zfs-macos
Testing, testing 1, 2, 3...is this thing on?

Here's the github repos I set up. The first one is the actual
source. The second one is all the tarballs that were available on
macosforge.org before they folded the project.

Now we just need a bunch of Apple-kernel developers and ZFS developers
to actually make a project out of this...

Perhaps we could get a Slashdot post detailing our predicament?

http://github.com/peaceful/zfs-mac

http://github.com/peaceful/zfs-mac-tarballs

Dustin

Oct 23, 2009, 4:11:53 PM10/23/09
to zfs-macos

On Oct 23, 12:18 pm, Nathan <nathan.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now we just need a bunch of Apple-kernel developers and ZFS developers
> to actually make a project out of this...
>
> Perhaps we could get a Slashdot post detailing our predicament?
>
> http://github.com/peaceful/zfs-mac
>
> http://github.com/peaceful/zfs-mac-tarballs

Hey, I bet you to the repo. :) http://github.com/dustin/zfs-mac

I've got a working 64-bit port under Snow Leopard. :) Will post
changes and instructions soon.

Nathan

Oct 23, 2009, 4:48:32 PM10/23/09
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

Fine by me! I just wanted to make absolutely sure to preserve what
was already out there. I don't make any claims as to actually running
the fork or anything like that. :-)

~ Nathan

LeftClicker

Oct 24, 2009, 1:41:03 PM10/24/09
to zfs-macos
> Perhaps we could get a Slashdot post detailing our predicament?
> ~ Nathan

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/10/23/2210246/Apple-Discontinues-ZFS-Project

"Zaurus writes
'Apple has replaced its ZFS project page with a notice that 'The ZFS
project has been discontinued. The mailing list and repository will
also be removed shortly.' Apple originally touted ZFS as a feature
that would be available in Snow Leopard Server. A few months before
release, all mention of ZFS was removed from the Apple web site and
literature, and ZFS was notably absent from Snow Leopard Server at
launch. Despite repeated attempts to get clarification about their
plans from ZFS, Apple has not made any official statement regarding
the matter. A ZFS-MACOS GOOGLE GROUP HAS BEEN SET UP FOR MEMBERS OF
APPLE'S ZFS-DISCUSS MAILING LIST TO MIGRATE TO, AS MANY PEOPLE HAD
STARTED USING THE UNFINISHED ZFS PORT ALREADY. The call is out for
developers who can continue the forked project.'
Daring Fireball suggests that Apple's decision could have been
motivated by NetApp's patent lawsuit over ZFS."

Nice, you're probably gonna get a lot more devs.
== LeftClicker ==

Joseph Spiros

Oct 24, 2009, 1:48:25 PM10/24/09
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
http://news.cnet.com/NetApp-files-patent-suit-against-Sun/2100-1014_3-6206194.html

"NetApp's legal attack against Sun's open-source ZFS solution which is
freely available in the marketplace is a clear indication that NetApp
considers Sun technology a threat and is a direct attack on the
open-source community," Sun said in a statement. "Sun indemnifies its
customers and stands behind the innovations we deliver to the marketplace."

"NetApp has no plans to pursue litigation against those who are using
ZFS open source for educational purposes, research or other means that
do not compete with NetApp, said Dave Hitz, NetApp founder and executive
vice president.
And despite its lawsuit against Sun, NetApp has no intention of
asserting its claims against its customers or Sun's customers, Hitz noted."

So, at the very least, continued open source development doesn't seem to
be threatened.

--
Joseph Spiros
iThink Software

Nathan

Oct 24, 2009, 3:59:36 PM10/24/09
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Dustin <dsal...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hey, I bet you to the repo.  :)  http://github.com/dustin/zfs-mac
>
>  I've got a working 64-bit port under Snow Leopard.  :)  Will post
> changes and instructions soon.

Okay, you got your github url mixed up, but I figured it out. I
updated my github wiki page to point to Dustin's repository, the
mailing list, and the issue tracker.

http://wiki.github.com/peaceful/zfs-mac

Let me know what needs to be added/removed/changed from that page.

~ Nathan