OT: looking at FumeFX

Andi Farhall

Jan 11, 2011, 12:08:11 PM1/11/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

so I thought I would try and broaded the departments approach to fire and smoke by looking at FumeFX (strictly in an addon to the xsi arsenal kind of way).  This obviously means that I'm going to have to learn a bit of max, no bad thing….. fumeFX seems quick and stable and I've seen people making some good looking fire…… but good lord, Max is truly evil. I thought given it's high profile status it would be slick, but it's like an antique.

The flames and smoke better be worth it is all I can say.

adrian wyer

Jan 11, 2011, 12:13:58 PM1/11/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com

Keep us posted mate, we’ve been thinking about this path too

Adrian Wyer
Fluid Pictures
75-77 Margaret St.
London
W1W 8SY
++44(0) 207 850 0829
adria...@fluid-pictures.com
www.fluid-pictures.com

Fluid Pictures Limited is registered in England and Wales.
Company number:5657815
VAT number: 872 6893 71

Tim Crowson

Jan 11, 2011, 2:16:53 PM1/11/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
This sounds interesting. We're in that boat as well, using Max for Fume stuff.

It seems like there's no real XSI solution out there for getting realistic *shading* of smoke and fire the way Fume does it. We really wish there was. The simulation itself isn't necessarily the problem, and we feel like there are several ways of getting good sims out of ICE, with plugins or not, but we've not seen anything for XSI that can shade the stuff in as detailed and flexible a manner as Fume can (not to mention all the integrated little bells and whistles that we get with Fume).

So yeah...shading...
-Tim Crowson
Magnetic Dreams

Dave Thomlison

Jan 11, 2011, 2:17:56 PM1/11/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
We've used Fumefx on occasion, the only bit of advice I can offer is to invest in the point oven plugin for Max, works flawlessly.

-Dave
--
Dave Thomlison

Daniel H

Jan 11, 2011, 6:12:53 PM1/11/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
FumeFX may soon have much stronger competition coming from the SI realm. Ben Houston has a note on his Exocortex site: "The first version of MaelstromFX currently supports simulation for air flow including dense smoke, wispy smoke, fog, haze, wind, and liquids. Support for fire and explosions is expected in the future."  http://www.exocortex.com/simulation/maelstromfx

Alan Fregtman

Jan 11, 2011, 6:30:25 PM1/11/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Exocortex can already simulate firey things with their other
simulator, SlipstreamVX...
http://exocortex.com/Simulation/SlipstreamVX

The speed is incredible, fast like playing a game. The only issue now
is the shading, which they're working on by further improving "Fury",
their gpu-accelerated volume renderer. It's not as a pretty as Fume
yet, but let's have some patience.

I can only imagine that Fury will at some point get to FumeFX quality rendering.

Also, Ben Houston is on the list and listening so he can probably add
to what I just said. (Hi Ben! ;)

Cheers,

-- Alan

Andi Farhall

Jan 12, 2011, 5:23:50 AM1/12/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
The exocortex stuff is very exciting, as is Eric Mootz's emfluid, although i think they're both a little way off yet. I'm only really going on what images and videos i've seen using the various candidates and so far for a good fire look it's fumeFX followed by PhoenixFD imho. I've been surprised by how fast Fume is - a voxel space of 500*400*300 was taking 2.5 minutes to simulate on a dual quad. The sooner XSI has something comparable in terms of image quality i'll be forgetting i ever needed to look at max.

A.

Ian Baxter

Jan 13, 2011, 2:17:47 PM1/13/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Max has loads of great plugins. Its modelling tools are great but as you say, antique! I would love to see some converted for xsi!

Stefan Andersson

Jan 14, 2011, 5:29:48 AM1/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
I don't know FumeFX that well, though it produces some really nice
results (looking at the webpage). On a personal level I would rather
spend my time learning some of Houdini's PyroFX tools instead. But I
know to little of actually comparing them both.

regards
stefan

--
Stefan Andersson
Creative Director

Mad Crew
Roddargatan 8
116 20  Stockholm
SWEDEN

mail: ste...@madcrew.se
phone: +46 (0)8 668 27 13
cell: +46 (0)73 626  8850
skype: madcrewstefan
web: http://www.madcrew.se

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the
above-mentioned recipient(s). Its content is confidential. If you have
received this e-mail by error, please notify us immediately and delete
it without making a copy, nor disclosing its content, nor taking any
action based thereon. Thank you.

Tim Crowson

Jan 14, 2011, 11:26:28 AM1/14/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
By the way, there is a new contender for Fire and Smoke in Max: Phoenix FD.
Webpage presenting the review:  http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/news.html?single=304
Direct download of said PDF review: http://chaosgroup.com/rdr/f16b28d5595db050d6ba5ba8158ee604

-Tim C.

Marc-Andre Carbonneau

Jan 17, 2011, 10:01:54 AM1/17/11
to soft...@listproc.autodesk.com
Houdini's fluid tools are slow and cumbersome. FumeFX is fast and easy. Not as customizable as Houdini but at least the job gets done.

Wish FumeFX could render EM_Fluids...