Java Zip error

Graham

Feb 7, 2010, 5:27:26 PM2/7/10
to XMind User Forum
I have an xmind file that will not open. I get the "Ooops! Failed to
load contents from this file." message, that blames a
'java.util.zip.Exception': error in opening zip file.

I have seen several reports of this error from some time last year
(2009) saying there was no fix, but that 3.1.1 would have better
recovery features... well, I have 3.1.1 - so what next?

The file is 31Mb in size, but I can't open it in 7-zip as someone
mentioned in another post. The diagnostics indicated an 'unexpected
end of archive' which presumably means that although all the data is
still there (i.e. 31Mb worth... the zip utility cannot get to it
because it is beyond the end of archive marker? Is there anything I
can do to manually correct the xmind file - e.g. using a hex editor on
the file. I've been a developer in IT for many years, and am not
scared of getting into a file at bits and bytes level if that is what
is needed.

Any assistance would be welcomed from xmind developers, or anyone that
knows about the java zip file format...

Cheers
Graham

stephen zhu

Feb 17, 2010, 10:00:00 AM2/17/10
to xm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham

Sorry to hear this. That file format has been broken. IMO, there is no way to open it again.
Did your XMind v3.1.1 crash before?

Sincerely!

Stephen
=========
Skype: stephen0928

Graham

Feb 17, 2010, 6:22:17 PM2/17/10
to XMind User Forum
Hi Stephen, and all others afflicted by this problem.

I have a solution! Well one that worked for me anyway....

The xmind data files are actually zip files that are renamed with
the .xmind extension. If you rename an xmind file (take a copy first)
to foobar.zip, you will see it appear as a compressed folder and can
then open it to see the actual individual files such as content.xml
and so on. My problem was that the 'zipping up' process that takes
the real data files and compresses them into the zipped format had
crashed/failed/broke...

I started by downloading a ZIP REPAIR utility. I tried 3 or 4 before
I found one that would do the trick - the one I ended up using is
DiskInternals Zip Repair 1.0 - and the good news is it's freeware.
You can find it here - http://diskinternals-zip-repair.diskinternals-research.qarchive.org/
It works by building a new archive file, and copying whatever it can
recover from the corrupted one to the new one (the corrupted one will
still be there for you to try something else if this doesn't work).

Next, I copied my xmind file, and renamed the copy as corrupt.zip
(windows will warn you that doing this may make the file unusable...
guess what - it's already unusable, so just go for it...)

Now startup the Zip Repair tool. After the opening splash page, it
will ask you to browse to the corrupted file, and it will auto
generate a name for the file it will try and recover to
(recovered_corrupt.zip) Obviously, you can change that name, or put
the recovered file in a different location if you want. Click next.

If you are as lucky as me, the next screen will show you a list of
repaired archive files including the content.xml. Mine listed three
xml files (content, meta, and styles), plus some other stuff it
'thought' were Word documents or .MOD files - don't worry about that
for the moment. As long as you have some sizes other than 0Kb, then
you've got something to work with. Click next again.

Don't bother trying to open the archive at this point - it has to go
back through xmind again to be tidied up. Rename the
recovered_corrupt.zip file back to recovered_corrupt.xmind, and then
try opening it up in xmind. Hopefully - you should see all your
mindmaps again.

The final step is to just make a small change and do a "save as" to
save the archived data back out to a completely new name in the proper
tidied up format.

Oh - there is one more step to do...
START TAKING REGULAR BACKUPS!

Good luck - I hope that this will help some of you as it helped me.
Cheers,
Graham

> > xmind+un...@googlegroups.com <xmind%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> > For more options, visit this group at

> >http://groups.google.com/group/xmind?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Jimmy

Aug 30, 2013, 2:41:33 AM8/30/13
to xm...@googlegroups.com, graham.sm...@gmail.com
Graham,

Thank you for your tip.
I had my xmind crashed for no reason and had a corrupted file
that I couldn't open.

With your advice, what I did was :
1. Rename and repair the zip
2. Extract the recovered content to a new folder
3. I got warning that some files are not extracted.. it's ok so long as the CONTENT.XML is intact.
4. After successfully extracted what I could recovered to a new folder, I just created a new zip (with the files in the root)
5. Lastly,  I rename it back to .xmind and manage to open back my mindmap! :)

As Graham said, once u can open it, do save it as a new xmind file and backup more often!

coralbli...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2013, 1:01:10 AM12/12/13
to xm...@googlegroups.com, graham.sm...@gmail.com, idq...@gmail.com

Hello,

Just trying the steps posted by Jimmy. (The steps posted by Graham don't fix my file).

When I get to step 2, I get a 0x80004005 error from windows explorer while trying to extract. This seems to be some sort of problem with permissions? (I also read that there may be a problem with system files, but this is happening on two machines, and one of them is brand new, so I think it's my content.xml file).

I checked the folder's and file's permissions and both are set to allow all users to do everything. I also tried

After repair I have a content.xml file and a meta.xml file. Both have actual content in them, verified by opening the (repaired and renamed) xmind file with notepad. meta.xml opens fine from the zipped folder, but content.xml can't be opened any way I've tried other than opening the xmind file with notepad as just described.

I don't know what to do, but I have to have this file. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thank-you in advance!