Pair program with me on Xiki for an hour!

Craig Muth

Nov 18, 2012, 1:40:02 PM11/18/12
to rub...@meetup.com, xi...@googlegroups.com
Want to remote pair program with me on a fun/awesome open source
project for an hour?

My open source project (Xiki) has gotten some decent publicity lately
- talk at RubyConf, #1 on hacker news for a day, mentioned twice on
RubyRogues and once on Ruby5, screencast tweeted by Matz. Check out
the 3 minute overview video or the RubyConf talk video to see if you
buy into the ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUR_eUVcABg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqOrQN0bxNE

If it intrigues you, ping me on this thread (or @xiki on twitter) and
we'll arrange an hour to remote pair program together on it (I'm
thinking probably Skype screen sharing). We can pair on whatever part
of it sounds exciting to you.

Xiki is like a shell console but better. It can run shell commands,
but also control your web browser, navigate files, make notes,
navigate and update databases, and control pretty much any tool with
an API. It runs from a text editor, and can be used to do many
IDE-like things, while keeping everything plaintext and thus very
flexible. Creating your own menus is trivial to implement and can be
very powerful, requiring only a few lines of code each.

More generally Xiki takes light-weight wiki text ideas and applies
them to running commands and making UI's. The related ideas have the
potential to be used in many different places - inside web apps, in
mobile apps, even as a general inter-language bridge. I think it can
change the world, but I'm a bit biased, having worked on this stuff
for about a decade.

I can tell you the list of stuff we could work on and let you pick the
one that sounds funnest. Making Xiki menus for tools you use,
brainstorming on next steps for Xiki, getting through your install
problems, writing a plugin to Xiki-enable your editor. Or, it could
be super-useful to just watch people try to set it up and observer the
problems / consfusing parts they come up against, in order to improve
the install / learning curve.

a time. If you're in the Bay Area we can meet at a coffee shop and
pair in person rather than remotely!

--Craig

Monty Zukowski

Nov 21, 2012, 2:06:44 PM11/21/12
to xi...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in seeing what it takes to hook it up to the
NetBeans Platform. If I remember correctly there are just a handful
of actions that the editor needs to allow to communicate with the xiki
server.

Monty

Kurt Werle

Nov 21, 2012, 4:52:18 PM11/21/12
to xi...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:06:46 AM UTC-8, Monty Zukowski wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing what it takes to hook it up to the
NetBeans Platform.  If I remember correctly there are just a handful
of actions that the editor needs to allow to communicate with the xiki
server.

It's a bit more complicated than that.  I started to stab at a redcar-xiki integration, but have not touched it in a couple of months.  My notion was that it should be easy generalize an interface and then use it for just about any editor that supports ruby/jruby.  You might want to leverage what I've done.  Or you might run screaming :-).  Either way...

Monty Zukowski

Nov 21, 2012, 5:07:45 PM11/21/12
to xi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I may be able to use JRuby and use your work as well.

Monty

Craig Muth

Nov 22, 2012, 3:44:31 PM11/22/12
to rub...@meetup.com, xi...@googlegroups.com
Awesome pairing session with @yoz yesterday! We learned a lot about
some underlying install issues people have been having Xiki - and did
some great brainstorming. Fantastic meetup with @keithtom this week
as well!

Btw I'm doing a Xiki talk at Pivotal Labs talk next Tues from 12:30-1:30.

--Craig

Craig Muth

Nov 22, 2012, 4:31:15 PM11/22/12
to xi...@googlegroups.com
> I'd be interested in seeing what it takes to hook it up to the
> NetBeans Platform.

Cool, let's do a remote pairing session! I emailed you off-list to
set up a time.

> If I remember correctly there are just a handful
> of actions that the editor needs to allow to communicate with the xiki
> server.

Current story re getting an editor to communicate with Xiki:

- 1. Making simple menu launching work
- Easy... just shell out to 'xiki' and insert the result
- Indent 2 spaces

- 2. Then getting collapsing, sub-menus, and saving/creating to work
- Takes a little work.

Kurt and I brainstormed a bit about ways of making 2. easier. Some
code should probably be extracted out. I'm imagining while
remote-pairing with people to add Xiki support for more editors, we'll
come up with something elegant. Depending on what you want to do, 1.
may get you most of the way there.

--Craig