Refusing valid words

denisseattle

Mar 2, 2011, 7:08:33 PM3/2/11
to Wordsmith
Game refused "NAIRU" in my match with ClintonQuan, bottom of far right
column. BOLS lists nairuas a valid play in TWL and SOWPODS. Game
accepted "AIR" in the same position. Either play also formed "XI" and
"YEA" (both of which were accepted when I successfully played "AIR").
Screen shots available. 34 points were at stake. (Opponent would have
whipped me easily, either way.)

Game refused "FINITO" in my match against Markjh. No other words would
have been formed.

HTC G2
v 2.2

David Almilli

Mar 7, 2011, 9:38:05 AM3/7/11
to wordsm...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't matter if BoLS lists it or not. It matters if it's in the Wordsmith dictionary. I looked up NAIRU and although it appears to be in some word lists, it is an acronym. I will put it on the list of words to consider, but it's unlikely it will be added since it's an acronym. FINITO is also not in the word list. We use a modified version of the YAWL word list.

Just an FYI, most people consider it cheating using a helper app like that.

Thanks,
David

1Ntwinss

Mar 9, 2011, 10:08:12 PM3/9/11
to Wordsmith
IRAQ is not a valid word I cannot believe this 26 points at stake. I'm
finding a lit of words that will not go.

On Mar 7, 8:38 am, David Almilli <david_almi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It doesn't matter if BoLS lists it or not.  It matters if it's in the Wordsmith dictionary.  I looked up NAIRU and although it appears to be in some word lists, it is an acronym.  I will put it on the list of words to consider, but it's unlikely it will be added since it's an acronym.  FINITO is also not in the word list.  We use a modified version of the YAWL word list.
>
> Just an FYI, most people consider it cheating using a helper app like that.
>
> Thanks,
> David

Dan Sterrett

Mar 9, 2011, 10:09:15 PM3/9/11
to wordsm...@googlegroups.com

Thats because Iraq is a proper noun. Perhaps ypu should read the rules?

1Ntwinss

Mar 10, 2011, 7:35:33 PM3/10/11
to Wordsmith
Ok fued is not a proper noun and it is saying invalid it's a lot of
words that is not allowed.

Optimistic S
v.2.2

ping

Mar 10, 2011, 7:38:23 PM3/10/11
to wordsm...@googlegroups.com
I think you meant FEUD.

1Ntwinss

Mar 10, 2011, 7:40:05 PM3/10/11
to Wordsmith
The word feud is invalid that's not a proper noun.

David Almilli

Mar 10, 2011, 10:53:13 PM3/10/11
to wordsm...@googlegroups.com
FEUD is a valid word. FUED is not. Reverse the U and E.

Justin Kelter

Mar 17, 2011, 12:42:09 AM3/17/11
to wordsm...@googlegroups.com

Zen should really be added to the lexicon if and when the time comes.

- Justin

BIG DOG

Jul 25, 2011, 3:47:44 PM7/25/11
to wordsm...@googlegroups.com
Indeed. And that time is now. Enough with these weird 2-letter variants that are accepted, but not 3- or 4-letter, commonly known words, like zen and buoy.