For comment: Wikipublisher Roadmap

JR

Feb 21, 2011, 6:40:51 PM2/21/11
to wikipublisher
This is a short outline of where Wikipublisher might go in the near
future. The project will continue to take its direction from the
users, as the users know what's important.

The big idea from the last year is Wikipublisher as an open (free/
libre), web-based book-publishing platform.

To that end:

1. Have a look at the book-oriented skin we are developing at
http://intranet.affinity.co.nz/affinity/Janina -- designed to be
writer-centred and reader-friendly, with a quiet, distraction-free
interface. Make sure you click on the group name (JANINA), which opens
a book navigation menu. It's intended for use where each book has its
own group.

2. We have been doing work with people developing a WordPress plug-in
that lets bloggers use WordPress as a book publishing system. They
have successfully produced output from WordPress that the Wikibook PDF
server turns into a book of the blog. XHTML to Wikibook XML is working
for a small set of XHTML tags.

3. We'd like to offer a hosted book authoring and publishing service,
if we can work out a suitable business model. Now that we know XHTML
to Wikibook XML can work, it may be possible to support other web
content management systems like Drupal, if there is a demand.

Comments, suggestions and offers of help welcome. In particular, if
the skin breaks in your browser, let us know!

JR