Announcing Git based upgrades

Kai Hendry

Oct 6, 2012, 6:24:42 AM10/6/12
to webc-users
Hi guys,

I thought I'd quickly wet your appetite and let you know that in the
dailies we have reached a hugely important design goal for the
Webconverger team: Git based upgrades.

This is something AFAIK no other linux distro has and we built this
technology up ourselves with your support!

So we now have a basis to keep deployments seamlessly updated,
absolutely zero maintenance. So after installing this new version, you
won't ever have to download a large ~300Meg download and re-install
the machine!

http://webconverger.org/upgrade/ - have a look at the demo video

So it would be good if you could verify our claims, otherwise we will
try get version 15 of Webconverger out the door before the FF 16
release. And you all can marvel how Webconverger updated to the new
browser without you having to do anything and saving you a ton of
bandwidth.

I hope you share my excitement here. :) Kind regards,

Kai Hendry

Oct 8, 2012, 12:52:24 PM10/8/12
to webc-users
15.0 is out http://webconverger.org/blog/entry/Webconverger_15_release_notes/
with the aforementioned feature.

Time to celebrate ! :)

Guttorm Flatabø

Oct 8, 2012, 1:59:46 PM10/8/12
to Webconverger forum
Congratulations!

You'll have to release 15.1 soon so we can enjoy the effortless upgrade ;)

Kai Hendry

Oct 10, 2012, 7:13:53 AM10/10/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
On 8 October 2012 18:59, Guttorm Flatabø <po...@guttormflatabo.com> wrote:
> Congratulations!
> You'll have to release 15.1 soon so we can enjoy the effortless upgrade ;)

I'm probably not going to tag every commit I make, so if you are
running an installed 15.0 you should be updating to:
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/commit/edd97ee47345e44a22a9dbf18cca48669e2694d4
in the background.

Short form of this change is "edd97ee".

I guess I will roll a release for the benefit of Live users from time
to time. Though ultimately I want to encourage folks to use the
install version.

Thanks for your support ! :)

experteach.t...@googlemail.com

Oct 11, 2012, 4:18:37 AM10/11/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
Just installed webc 15 to my first machine and it worked flawless despite all the issues i had with webc 14/14.1 the new version works perfect.
Thanks for this update and your support

John_M

Oct 11, 2012, 6:07:39 PM10/11/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, hen...@webconverger.com
It may just be me and our network configuration but 15 and 15.1 do http sites fine, but not https sites.  For example, google.com comes up great, but when I click on the gmail link the page cannot be found. Google news comes up great, but anything with https the page cannot be found.  When not using Webcoverger 15, on our network these pages work normally using the same proxy server.  Is anyone else seeing this issue?  We use a proxy server, which I've specified in the boot\live.cfg file.

Kai Hendry

Oct 11, 2012, 6:18:16 PM10/11/12
to John_M, webc-...@googlegroups.com
https works fine here John. :)

Please try test on a non-proxied connection in Virtualbox
http://webconverger.org/testing/
quick-https-test.png

John_M

Oct 12, 2012, 12:28:15 PM10/12/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, John_M, hen...@webconverger.com
This is a repeatable issue with 15.0-1-gedd97ee.iso and 14.1, but not 12.3.  I don't have a 13 version to try.  (See screenshots).

Steps to repeat:
1,  Start 14.1 or 15.1 in VB.
2.  Select 686-pae:Live for 15.1.
3.  During boot, press tab, add http_proxy=http://rrproxy.cumission.org:3128 to the end of the line.  Press enter to continue.
4.  Webconverger starts normally.
5.  The default web page opens properly.
6.  Go to google.com.  Page opens properly.
7.  Go to google news.  Page opens properly.
8.  Go to gmail.com.  Page gives "Unable to connect" message.

Going through these same steps with 12.3, both http and https websites work properly.
Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.png
webconverger12.3-1.png
webconverger15.1-1.png
webconverger15.1-2.png
webconverger15.1-3.png
webconverger15.1-4.png
webconverger15.1-0.png

John_M

Oct 12, 2012, 12:45:34 PM10/12/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, John_M, hen...@webconverger.com
Other notes:

I tried using http_proxy=http://192.168.60.223:3128 instead of http_proxy=http://rrproxy.cumission.org in wc 15.1 with the same results.

My other VMs work fine in VirtualBox (4.2.0 r180737) with our proxy server.  My host is Linux Mint 13 w/ MATE - kernel 3.2.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP.

If you don't specify a proxy server at all on our network, you will not get any web pages to load properly.

All of our other networked PCs are able to use our proxy server to use Gmail.  Google Apps is our email server.

Kai Hendry

Oct 12, 2012, 12:50:19 PM10/12/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, John_M
I just tested a couple of https on my own squid proxy whilst tailing
/var/log/squid3/access.log and the secure connections seem to bypass
the proxy and go straight to the server IIUC. So there might be your
problem.

It seems non-trivial to support HTTPS on a proxy.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/516323/https-connections-over-proxy-servers

Perhaps it's worth recording some logs from your proxy server when it
worked and when it didn't ?

We've hijacked this "Announcing Git based upgrades" thread. We should
move this over to https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues/92

Some I'm expecting you to please post some logs on that bug.

Thanks,

John_M

Oct 12, 2012, 12:55:17 PM10/12/12
to webc-...@googlegroups.com, John_M, hen...@webconverger.com
Will move and look at logs.  Thanks for your help.  webc is a great product.  Thank you for your work on it.