Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Mariano Reingart

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 9:33:0919/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
We are making an ERP-like system too:
http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/source/browse/ABOUT

Initial model is almost done, now I'm focused on basic controllers to
register invoices, receipts and so on (sales)

This ERP is based on a previous system done in VisualBasic (following
double-entry bookkeeping accounting standards), with a past experience
of more than 10 years and around a hundred of clients.

We are looking for interested people, and mainly, we need some funding
to develop this app, altought we have the design and prototypes
working, the development is a big effort.

If anyone else is working in similar projects, maybe we can join or
share experiences,

Best regards

Mariano Reingart
http://www.sistemasagiles.com.ar
http://reingart.blogspot.com

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:27 AM, mdipierro <mdip...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> am I?
>
> I want to know more about the ERP? Looks like we are going to have 3
> ERPs!
>
> On Nov 18, 9:53 pm, yamandu <yamandu.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Massimo, you are funny (Yes, you!).
>>
>> Should I list the ERP I have started as project?

Anthony

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 9:46:1419/11/10
a web2py-users
How is the performance with 60 table definitions -- does that
noticeably slow things down?

On Nov 19, 9:33 am, Mariano Reingart <reing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are making an ERP-like system too:http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/source/browse/ABOUT
>
> Initial model is almost done, now I'm focused on basic controllers to
> register invoices, receipts and so on (sales)
>
> This ERP is based on a previous system done in VisualBasic (following
> double-entry bookkeeping accounting standards), with a past experience
> of more than 10 years and around a hundred of clients.
>
> We are looking for interested people, and mainly, we need some funding
> to develop this app, altought we have the design and prototypes
> working, the development is a big effort.
>
> If anyone else is working in similar projects, maybe we can join or
> share experiences,
>
> Best regards
>
> Mariano Reingarthttp://www.sistemasagiles.com.arhttp://reingart.blogspot.com
>

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:27 AM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> > am I?
>
> > I want to know more about the ERP? Looks like we are going to have 3
> > ERPs!
>
> > On Nov 18, 9:53 pm, yamandu <yamandu.co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Massimo, you are funny (Yes, you!).
>
> >> Should I list the ERP I have started as project?- Hide quoted text -

Richard Vézina

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 9:51:3219/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
I have around 60 tables + near a 100 views under postgres it performs like a charm.

Richard

Richard Vézina

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 9:53:3719/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
Is it going to be open source?

Do you know tryton and Open ERP??

They are built with python.

Richard

Mariano Reingart

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 10:16:4219/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Richard Vézina
<ml.richa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it going to be open source?

Yes, the license will be Affero-GPL:
http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/source/browse/LICENSE

> Do you know tryton and Open ERP??

Yes, but I think they are too much complex for small and medium enterprises.
They aren't flexible nor simple enough to what we are intending to do
(especially what we did in the past, according our experience, YMMV)

> They are built with python.

Yes, but not with web2py ;-)
They have they own ORM, XML configuration, codebase and structure is
very big and complicated, etc. etc.

I think we can do something more competitive with web2py and related
technologies.

Best regards,

Richard Vézina

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 10:29:0619/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
Yes you are right. I think Open ERP have been fork by some of the original developper into Tryton to minimize the complexity.

I would be really interesting in this project. I can help with the time I have (I mean not much ;-)

Richard

Bruno Rocha

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 10:41:1319/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
Nice! I think I can contribute.

But, One problem I found in your models, is the tables and fields being named in Spanish.  As English is an IT Universal Language, I guess some people will find difficult to mantain, contribute and extend the system because of Spanish models.

I started a Scrum Management System, and when the project was almost done, I figured out that my table names and even function names was in Portuguese, so I started the translation to English.

Think about it.

2010/11/19 Mariano Reingart <rein...@gmail.com>

Mariano Reingart

no leída,
19 nov 2010, 11:02:5719/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I agree, development will be done in english, look at this
"facturalibre" branch:

http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/source/browse/?r=2ecd5bfdd8378bedf65737d3b99863a77275edcf

The "default" branch is a early version migrated from a current
database without translation, just to get something to start with and
to see the whole model, it even doesn't compile.

Anyway, there are terms that doesn't have an exact translation to
english, I'm using whose have the closest meaning, and help from
anglosaxon accountants (and from other countries too) will be very
useful.

Best regards,

Michele Comitini

no leída,
20 nov 2010, 15:00:3720/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
Mariano,

+1

This project can be very important to make web2py look even more
appealing to the business world.
I would like to help.

mic

2010/11/19 Mariano Reingart <rein...@gmail.com>:

Rahul

no leída,
22 nov 2010, 4:10:2622/11/10
a web2py-users
Hi Bruno,
Nice to know that you've written a scrum mgt system in web2py.
In my organization we use a inhouse tool to manage AGILE development
using scrum menthods. That is a client server app in .NET. However its
painfully slow. Is the scrum mgt system you've written open source?

Cheers, Rahul (www.flockbird.com)

On Nov 21, 1:00 am, Michele Comitini <michele.comit...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Mariano,
>
> +1
>
> This project can be very important to make web2py look even more
> appealing to the business world.
> I would like to help.
>
> mic
>
> 2010/11/19 Mariano Reingart <reing...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Yes, I agree, development will be done in english, look at this
> > "facturalibre" branch:
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/source/browse/?r=2ecd5bfdd8378b...
>
> > The "default" branch is a early version migrated from a current
> > database without translation, just to get something to start with and
> > to see the whole model, it even doesn't compile.
>
> > Anyway, there are terms that doesn't have an exact translation to
> > english, I'm using whose  have the closest meaning, and help from
> > anglosaxon accountants (and from other countries too) will be very
> > useful.
>
> > Best regards,
>
> > Mariano Reingart
> >http://www.sistemasagiles.com.ar
> >http://reingart.blogspot.com
>
> > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Bruno Rocha <rochacbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Nice! I think I can contribute.
> >> But, One problem I found in your models, is the tables and fields being
> >> named in Spanish.  As English is an IT Universal Language, I guess some
> >> people will find difficult to mantain, contribute and extend the system
> >> because of Spanish models.
> >> I started a Scrum Management System, and when the project was almost done, I
> >> figured out that my table names and even function names was in Portuguese,
> >> so I started the translation to English.
> >> Think about it.

newnomad

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 9:14:0723/11/10
a web2py-users
It's really great that there are 3 ERP's in the works, I'd love to
switch from tryton to a web2py based system;

http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/
https://bitbucket.org/yamandu/yamachine-erp/
and a number 3 which I cannot find...

However will any of those ever work without a relational database, or
doesn't it make any sense at all for an ERP to work without one?
If postgre is an absolute must, what are the recommended PAAS/cloud
options?
- amazon ec2
- Google App Engine for business
http://code.google.com/appengine/business/

An alternate solution may be to use mysql, so that it's still easy to
deploy web2py on a shared lamp host with phyton enabled, but without
shell access.

mdipierro

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 9:24:2123/11/10
a web2py-users
I think a relational database for an ERP is a must and those ERPs all
support them.
At the university we have peoplesoft+oracle and ~30,000 users. Turns
out the ERP is not a high traffic app and it runs on one VPS (with
replication for high availability). I am sure any web2py ERP will be
just fine on a VPS with postgresql.

Massimo

On Nov 23, 8:14 am, newnomad <uti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's really great that there are 3 ERP's in the works, I'd love to
> switch from tryton to a web2py based system;
>
> http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/https://bitbucket.org/yamandu/yamachine-erp/
> and a number 3 which I cannot find...
>
> However will any of those ever work without a relational database, or
> doesn't it make any sense at all for an ERP to work without one?
> If postgre is an absolute must, what are the recommended PAAS/cloud
> options?
> - amazon ec2
> - Google App Engine for businesshttp://code.google.com/appengine/business/

Michele Comitini

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 10:07:1723/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
IMHO the question is not about having a database, the question is that
the ERP must
use only DAL for data management and must run on any supported
database not only relational ones.

mic

2010/11/23 mdipierro <mdip...@cs.depaul.edu>:

Richard Vézina

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 10:13:0323/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
My preference go to postgresql... I think it is not a matter anyway since web2py can work with many differents dbms. But if we have to speed up as point in a thread last week we will have to work at the db layer to improve the schema and then a particular dbms will emerge...

Richard

mdipierro

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 10:15:0123/11/10
a web2py-users
yes it should use dal and work with all supported databases, yet I
would not run an ERP on a system without transactions.

On Nov 23, 9:07 am, Michele Comitini <michele.comit...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> IMHO the question is not about having a database, the question is that
> the ERP must
> use only DAL for data management and must run on any supported
> database not only relational ones.
>
> mic
>
> 2010/11/23 mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu>:
>
> > I think a relational database for an ERP is a must and those ERPs all
> > support them.
> > At the university we have peoplesoft+oracle and ~30,000 users. Turns
> > out the ERP is not a high traffic app and it runs on one VPS (with
> > replication for high availability). I am sure any web2py ERP will be
> > just fine on a VPS with postgresql.
>
> > Massimo
>
> > On Nov 23, 8:14 am, newnomad <uti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It's really great that there are 3 ERP's in the works, I'd love to
> >> switch from tryton to a web2py based system;
>
> >>http://code.google.com/p/gestionlibre/https://bitbucket.org/yamandu/y...

Michele Comitini

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 10:20:2723/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
I agree, it is true that in many little environments, there is only
one person writing and a few reading so sqlite would be
more than enough.

2010/11/23 mdipierro <mdip...@cs.depaul.edu>:

Vinicius Assef

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 10:33:5723/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
+1

If we just use DAL, we can count on web2py's transaction management to
make the app portable among supported databases.

So, Sqlite may be used in development and testing environments.
If you want to run in a really small business, Sqlite could be acceptable, too.

I know some systems developed in Delphi using Paradox as database
working for years, now.
And they don't imagine what a transaction is. :-(

--
Vinicius Assef.

Bruno Rocha

no leída,
23 nov 2010, 10:40:4823/11/10
a web...@googlegroups.com
Our system is called SATLite (Simple Agile Tool - Lite), this is a work in progress and is being developed by 4 people, we did't decide yet if we are going to serve the app (free for use) or opening the source.

This is a really tiny and simple tool for keeping track of agile projects and its commom tasks, our release plan is for 2011/Jan, because interface design/usability is being our most important matter.

I Guess we'll open the source and also offer it as a free service, and even a non-Lite payed version as a service.

we love to use Rally (http://www.rallydev.com/agile_products/editions/community/), but our goal is to abstract more the complexity and offer tools/API for integration.

2010/11/22 Rahul <rahul....@gmail.com>

Rahul

no leída,
24 nov 2010, 4:06:2624/11/10
a web2py-users
Hey All,
I have developed a system for Bug Tracking for my organization and
personal use and it uses SQLite as backend. I find it pretty good to
deploy in production environments. The system I have coded uses the
concept of Workspaces. Where each workspace is independent and the
users belonging to that specific workspace are seperate from the other
workspaces/users including the data. If you want to have a look, you
can check it out using a Demo login that is available on the site.
site: www.flockbird.com

btw, I am open to suggestions and improvements for it :)

Cheers, Rahul
www.flockbird.com

On Nov 23, 8:40 pm, Bruno Rocha <rochacbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our system is called SATLite (Simple Agile Tool - Lite), this is a work in
> progress and is being developed by 4 people, we did't decide yet if we are
> going to serve the app (free for use) or opening the source.
>
> This is a really tiny and simple tool for keeping track of agile projects
> and its commom tasks, our release plan is for 2011/Jan, because interface
> design/usability is being our most important matter.
>
> I Guess we'll open the source and also offer it as a free service, and even
> a non-Lite payed version as a service.
>
> we love to use Rally (http://www.rallydev.com/agile_products/editions/community/), but our goal is
> to abstract more the complexity and offer tools/API for integration.
>
> 2010/11/22 Rahul <rahul.dhak...@gmail.com>

villas

no leída,
24 nov 2010, 7:19:5024/11/10
a web2py-users
> I know some systems developed in Delphi using Paradox as database
> working for years, now. And they don't imagine what a transaction is. :-(

LOL yeah, but I bet they know what a 're-index' means! :)

newnomad

no leída,
24 nov 2010, 7:49:2024/11/10
a web2py-users
My question was more about what the absolute minimum requirements,
lowest entry barrrier, for a web2py ERP would be. What if the ERP was
to be used by an organisation that doesnt have a budget for a VPS yet,
it would be great if they could start using it on the free GAE, maybe
not perfect, but it works. Once they organisation grows, they can
still rent a VPS, but even then they might prefer a scalable PAAS
solution.
Will web2py ERP's work on GAE out of the box?

On Nov 23, 4:33 pm, Vinicius Assef <vinicius...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> If we just use DAL, we can count on web2py's transaction management to
> make the app portable among supported databases.
>
> So, Sqlite may be used in development and testing environments.
> If you want to run in a really small business, Sqlite could be acceptable, too.
>
> I know some systems developed in Delphi using Paradox as database
> working for years, now.
> And they don't imagine what a transaction is. :-(
>
> --
> Vinicius Assef.
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Michele Comitini
>

> <michele.comit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree, it is true that in many little environments, there is only
> > one person writing and a few reading so sqlite would be
> > more than enough.
>
> > 2010/11/23 mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu>:

mdipierro

no leída,
24 nov 2010, 9:09:3424/11/10
a web2py-users
If an organization cannot afford $20/month for a VPS they should
attempt to use a ERP.

newnomad

no leída,
24 nov 2010, 9:35:5824/11/10
a web2py-users

I know what you mean, but maybe it's a mom and dad basement business.
They will probably use http://www.myerp.com/ then, free for up to 2
users. Once they grow they will stay there and pay, and have forgotten
about web2py...
I think the 'free' entry is always good to start out.
So regardless of personal convictions, can ERP's use the DAL with only
GAE?
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar