new web site

Massimo Di Pierro

Nov 6, 2011, 3:02:23 PM11/6/11
to web2py-users
We have a new web site

http://web2py.com/new_examples

Please check it out before we replace the old one.

António Ramos

Nov 6, 2011, 3:34:05 PM11/6/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
nice layout

Gour

Nov 6, 2011, 3:36:02 PM11/6/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 12:02:23 -0800 (PST)
Massimo Di Pierro
<massimo....@gmail.com> wrote:

Congratulations!

It looks beautiful.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
The senses are so strong and impetuous, O Arjuna,
that they forcibly carry away the mind even of a man

signature.asc

Pystar

Nov 6, 2011, 6:19:51 PM11/6/11
to web2py-users
+1 awesome, very professional looking

On Nov 6, 9:36 pm, Gour <g...@atmarama.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 12:02:23 -0800 (PST)
> Massimo Di Pierro
>
> <massimo.dipie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We have a new web site
>
> >    http://web2py.com/new_examples
>
> > Please check it out before we replace the old one.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> It looks beautiful.
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour
>
> --
> The senses are so strong and impetuous, O Arjuna,
> that they forcibly carry away the mind even of a man
> of discrimination who is endeavoring to control them.
>
> http://atmarama.net| Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

LightDot

Nov 6, 2011, 6:46:00 PM11/6/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
I like it! Layout is nice, content categorization is similar to the existing one, which wasn't bad. It's a very nice evolution, not a revolution, and that's a positive thing. Looks polished and it's giving a good impression about the web2py project.

Just a couple of things I noticed:

- main menu: should be centred like the rest of the page, left alignment looks odd on higher screen resolutions (1920+)
- index page, in the text above the download button: a dot missing at the end of the sentence: "programmable in Python. LGPLv3 License"
- index page, bottom quotations about web2py: perhaps a bit smaller font size, more padding between the three columns? Especially the quotation author's signatures should have more padding on the right, so that they are always well beneath the quotation text.

I'm not sure that I like the "free" in the "download now (free)" button. But I guess not everybody automatically connects free with lgpl and web2py, so why not...

Joseph Jude

Nov 6, 2011, 8:22:43 PM11/6/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Just a personal opinion: web2py should come out of the shadows of django. Two of the three quotes are directed towards django.

Anthony

Nov 6, 2011, 8:52:33 PM11/6/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:22:43 PM UTC-5, Joseph Jude wrote:
Just a personal opinion: web2py should come out of the shadows of django. Two of the three quotes are directed towards django.

Agree. We shouldn't use quotes that mention Django or other frameworks by name.

Andrew Thompson

Nov 6, 2011, 10:03:56 PM11/6/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Is the content being pulled from existing data, or was it re-entered?

In the third-party code section of the staff page, the markdown2 link is old, they moved to github.
The feedparser website is 410 Gone(not sure how long, or if it moved).
The fcgi.py link is dead as well.

Can someone else check with a tablet turned portrait? On my touchpad, it squeezes the layout strange.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/

Massimo Di Pierro

Nov 6, 2011, 11:26:03 PM11/6/11
to web2py-users
The layout is derived from this April's fool joke they played on us:
http://web2pyramid.pylonsproject.org/

The content is the same the old site.

The quotes are taken from twitter #web2py.

Massimo

Bruno Rocha

Nov 7, 2011, 12:22:31 AM11/7/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
At the footer you forgot to mention the Portuguese user group, also I miss the links in side navigation bar of current website.

luismurciano

Nov 7, 2011, 5:04:23 AM11/7/11
to web2py-users
The idea of using their joke is fun, its like a joke inside a joke...

But I really think if Web2py is a Web Framework the Home Page should
be more fancy not too much but it should represents what Web2py can
do.

IMHO the best way to do it is doing a contest and Massimo decides
which one to use. For the web designers in our community be the
designer of the web2py home page can be a big price it self.

I would like to try one my self. You could put the home page app in a
reposotory so any want could clone it and try.

BTW the quotes from http://web2pyramid.pylonsproject.org/ are
hilarious "...one tool to rule them all!"

TheSweetlink

Nov 7, 2011, 11:55:52 AM11/7/11
to web2py-users
Good upgrade!

I particularly like the Bossie Award at the top, the detailed
web2py_vs_others.pdf (needs a few minor corrections noted below), and /
what but I don't understand why the link is titled 3rd party tools.

Slide notes:
Slides 36 and 40 say SQLField instead of Field like in the Book.

94 says "allow allow"

All in all I really liked the tactfully explained, as per usual,
comparisons.

Well done.

David

On Nov 6, 3:02 pm, Massimo Di Pierro <massimo.dipie...@gmail.com>

Richard Vézina

Nov 7, 2011, 2:17:11 PM11/7/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
:)

Richard

mikech

Nov 7, 2011, 2:23:18 PM11/7/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Just clicking thru some links - Scanme looks like its moved from http://www.scanme.co.za/  to http://www.scanme.com/

mikech

Nov 7, 2011, 4:31:12 PM11/7/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Looks real good!

Omi Chiba

Nov 7, 2011, 4:31:35 PM11/7/11
to web2py-users
Looks great !

Can you add the link to web2py Japan under Documentation - Community
sources - Sites ?

web2py Japan
https://sites.google.com/site/web2pyjapan/

Thanks

On Nov 6, 2:02 pm, Massimo Di Pierro <massimo.dipie...@gmail.com>

Justin Heath

Nov 8, 2011, 9:58:59 AM11/8/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
On page: http://web2py.com/new_examples/default/download
"Nightly Built" should be "Nightly Build"

Otherwise, the site looks very nice.

JmiXIII

Nov 8, 2011, 12:08:07 PM11/8/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Looks great,
Nevertheless

http://web2py.com/new_examples/default/what
After The best way
=> too much to read and to compact, a more visual,structured presentation would be easier to read

Naleen Yadav

Nov 9, 2011, 4:43:25 AM11/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
cool

Miguel Lopes

Nov 9, 2011, 10:01:31 AM11/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
Looks great!

It should be clear what the "Awarded the best..." is. Perhaps using

or linking to InfoWorld.

Miguel

Anthony

Nov 9, 2011, 10:43:45 AM11/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:01:31 AM UTC-5, miguel wrote:
Looks great!

It should be clear what the "Awarded the best..." is. Perhaps using

Already done. We'll have a new cleaned up version up soon.

Anthony

Ovidio Marinho

Nov 9, 2011, 12:21:29 PM11/9/11
to web...@googlegroups.com