IronPython

mikech

Jan 9, 2009, 12:27:18 PM1/9/09
to web2py Web Framework
I was just wondering is there any effort going on to see if web2py
will work with IronPython?

Mike

mdipierro

Jan 9, 2009, 6:44:37 PM1/9/09
to web2py Web Framework
No but there is no reason why not, just limited manpower.
if you are interested in working on it you will have all our support.

Massimo

Phyo Arkar

Jan 9, 2009, 6:58:18 PM1/9/09
to web...@googlegroups.com
Try to make web2py work on PyPy and we can port to alllll Runtime :)

mdipierro

Jan 9, 2009, 10:11:53 PM1/9/09
to web2py Web Framework
It is worth a try. I can help with debugging but have no time for
testing. Who wants to help?

Massimo

On Jan 9, 5:58 pm, "Phyo Arkar" <phyo.arkarl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try to make web2py work on PyPy and we can port to alllll Runtime :)

mr.freeze

Jan 23, 2009, 1:38:19 AM1/23/09
to web2py Web Framework
I got web2py running on IronPython 2.0 by bypassing signal, logging,
webbrowser and csv modules. No db support either. The admin site
seems to work okay. A little sluggish and exhibits strange behavior
when editing files. Also it gave me this after a while:

Exception in thread CP WSGIServer Thread-5:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\Program Files\IronPython 2.0\Lib\threading.py", line 486,
in _Thread_
_bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File "C:\web2py\gluon\wsgiserver.py", line 786, in communicate
req.simple_response("500 Internal Server Error", format_exc())
File "C:\web2py\gluon\wsgiserver.py", line 535, in simple_response
self.sendall("".join(buf))
error: (10053, 'An established connection was aborted by the software
in your ho
st machine')

Personally, I can't believe it even started up!

mdipierro

Jan 23, 2009, 3:33:33 AM1/23/09
to web2py Web Framework
wow.

ironpython has no csv?

That is the only module that I would miss. The error you get may due
to lack of signal. This means the only weak point is the cherrypy wsgi
server. What are the alternatives with IronPython?

Massimo

mr.freeze

Jan 23, 2009, 10:16:28 AM1/23/09
to web2py Web Framework
As mentioned in this post, NWSGI 1.0 just came out:
http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_frm/thread/49e436c68403918f/ebbea935ca344704?lnk=gst&q=ironpython#ebbea935ca344704

There is also a compatibility layer to allow IronPython to import and
used compile CPython extensions called IronClad:
http://code.google.com/p/ironclad/wiki/FrontPage

-Nathan

On Jan 23, 2:33 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> wow.
>
> ironpythonhas no csv?
>
> That is the only module that I would miss. The error you get may due
> to lack of signal. This means the only weak point is the cherrypy wsgi
> server. What are the alternatives withIronPython?
>
> Massimo
>
> On Jan 23, 12:38 am, "mr.freeze" <nfre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I got web2py running onIronPython2.0 by bypassing signal, logging,
> > webbrowser and csv modules. No db support either.  The admin site
> > seems to work okay. A little sluggish and exhibits strange behavior
> > when editing files.  Also it gave me this after a while:
>
> > Exception in thread CP WSGIServer Thread-5:
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "c:\Program Files\IronPython2.0\Lib\threading.py", line 486,

mdipierro

Jan 23, 2009, 11:25:35 AM1/23/09
to web2py Web Framework
just to clarify...

wow

was not about the lack of csv. Was about your impressive work on this.
I am surprised you managed to get it work.
If you could find a way around the lack of csv problem and you could
document it, it would be great.

Massimo

On Jan 23, 9:16 am, "mr.freeze" <nfre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As mentioned in this post, NWSGI 1.0 just came out:http://groups.google.com/group/web2py/browse_frm/thread/49e436c684039...

mr.freeze

Jan 23, 2009, 12:39:51 PM1/23/09
to web2py Web Framework
I was surprised too! It actually only took about 10 minutes to get
running.

I think the typical pattern for working around missing modules is to
create the module in the IronPython Lib folder and stub out your own
implementation in C#. There only seem to be a few csv functions used
in web2py so it might be difficult. There might be hope with IronClad
too.

Having access to .Net/Mono Framework in web2py would be pretty sweet.

mdipierro

Jan 23, 2009, 1:06:10 PM1/23/09
to web2py Web Framework
Instead of commenting signal, etc.