Announcing a CC-licensed book on Vim 7

Swaroop C H

Nov 25, 2008, 12:11:01 PM11/25/08
to v...@vim.org
Hello all,

I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.

The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

From the website, you can download the book, and freely share it and
make changes (it is under a Creative Commons license) and even
directly fix any mistakes as well (it's a wiki).

More details are at http://www.swaroopch.com/blog/a-free-book-on-vim/

I hope this benefits fellow Vimmers, both beginners and intermediate
users, and I also look forward to constructive suggestions and
comments from the community.

Regards,
Swaroop

Raúl Núñez

Nov 25, 2008, 1:06:01 PM11/25/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Saluton Swaroop :)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:41:01 +0530, Swaroop C H dixit:

> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
>
> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

Thanks for the book and thanks for making it free. Sharing knowledge is
how knowledge can really advance.

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...

Sergio Acosta

Nov 25, 2008, 1:10:44 PM11/25/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
>> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
>> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
>>
>> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
>> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

Thanks for your hard work and for sharing!

I'm sure that as a newbee I will learn some new tricks and will try to
spread the news among my buddies.

François Beaubert

Nov 25, 2008, 2:11:08 PM11/25/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2008/11/25 Sergio Acosta <sergio...@gmail.com>:

>>> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
>>> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
>>>
>>> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
>>> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

Man you book looks excellent and very pleasant to read.
Your own blog is pretty cool also what kind of theme/skin do you use
for mediawiki ... this one is a killer
I'm dreaming to have a wiki like yours for my students

Thank you very much for all you hard work !
Cheers

François

Joseph Sullivan

Nov 25, 2008, 6:38:09 PM11/25/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41:01PM +0530, Swaroop C H wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.

Awesome! Thank you for all of your hard work. It is especially nice
that the beginning starts the reader off gradually. After using vim for
a couple of years I've forgotten how weird it seems at first, so I
probably wouldn't explain it that good to someone. I will be sure to
share your book to spread the vim propaganda. ;-)

Ivan lopes

Nov 25, 2008, 7:00:46 PM11/25/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for all you hard work !

338.gif
333.png
360.gif

Maxim Kim

Nov 26, 2008, 12:50:52 AM11/26/08
to vim_use
On 25 нояб, 20:11, "Swaroop C H" <swar...@swaroopch.com> wrote:
> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available athttp://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

Thanks for the wonderful book!

Take a look at http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim_en:Typing_Skills
The sign at the bottom of the cheatsheet picture _possibly_ is not
correct -- "vi/vim cheat sheet by viewmu.com".
Shouldn't "viewmu.com" be "viemu.com" as written on cheetsheet
itself?

Eduard

Nov 26, 2008, 3:45:01 AM11/26/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41:01PM +0530, Swaroop C H wrote:

> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
>
> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

Thank you Swaroop! I've begun reading it and must say it's very well
written. And I have no doubts this great community of us vim users here
will improve it through fixes, additions or small corrections --the wiki
format is a great idea.

--
Eduard Fabra.

yosi izaq

Nov 26, 2008, 12:06:13 PM11/26/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Eduard <edf...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:41:01PM +0530, Swaroop C H wrote:

> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my Creative-Commons
> licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
>
> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

The book is very good and fun to read too. Thank you for sharing it.

Yosi.

iamjay

Nov 27, 2008, 5:26:20 AM11/27/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Well done!!!
I've been only using vim for like 2/3 weeks now, and thus I can say that
it's just perfect for beginners like me!!!

Best regards,
jay
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:00:46PM -0200, Ivan lopes wrote:
> Thank you very much for all you hard work ! [1][IMG] [2][IMG] [3][IMG]
>

> References
>
> Visible links

John Beckett

Dec 1, 2008, 3:31:14 AM12/1/08
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Swaroop C H wrote:
> I'm happy to announce the first public release of my
> Creative-Commons licensed book on the Vim 7 editor.
>
> The book is called "A Byte of Vim" and is available at
> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim

Thanks. I have put this info in the December "Did you know" on the wiki main page,
and have noted the book on the "Vim documentation" page (see link at top-right of
main page):

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

John