Spam on vim.org?

Ben Fritz

May 5, 2010, 12:41:52 PM5/5/10
to vim_use
Today we got the following Script: comments page added on the wiki:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:3083

Claiming that this plugin is spam and/or malware:

The vim.org page is in a language I do not know how to read.

Please comment if you know more about this issue.

bill lam

May 5, 2010, 1:04:48 PM5/5/10
to vim_use
Срд, 05 Май 2010, Ben Fritz писал(а):
> Today we got the following Script: comments page added on the wiki:
>
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:3083
>
> Claiming that this plugin is spam and/or malware:

> The vim.org page is in a language I do not know how to read.
>
> Please comment if you know more about this issue.

I don't think it is intended to be spam. The author use python to
retrieve jokes from a PRC site to display inside vim. Those jokes
make no sense for those who cannot read Chinese.

Disclaimer: I don't know whether that PRC website contains spam,
malware or is a phishing website.

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Erik Falor

May 5, 2010, 1:24:07 PM5/5/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:04:48AM +0800, bill lam wrote:
> ??????, 05 ?????? 2010, Ben Fritz ??????????(??):

> > Today we got the following Script: comments page added on the wiki:
> >
> > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:3083
> >
> > Claiming that this plugin is spam and/or malware:
> >
> > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3083
> >
> > The vim.org page is in a language I do not know how to read.
> >
> > Please comment if you know more about this issue.
>
> I don't think it is intended to be spam. The author use python to
> retrieve jokes from a PRC site to display inside vim. Those jokes
> make no sense for those who cannot read Chinese.
>
> Disclaimer: I don't know whether that PRC website contains spam,
> malware or is a phishing website.

www.vimer.cn is where you download the Python 2.6 version of something
(I don't do so well with simplified Chinese). I'm sure that vimer.cn
is (Dante) Zhu NianYang's personal blog. Anyway, I haven't gotten any
malware yet!

I'm not quite sure what to make of www.quishibaike.com. Apparently,
quishi is "awkwardness". Baike is "hundred books" which usually means
encyclopedia, or in this case, a wiki. Perhaps it's a Chinese version
of Fail my Life (www.fmylife.com)?

--
Erik Falor

signature.asc

lilydjwg

May 6, 2010, 4:18:46 AM5/6/10
to vim_use
Yes, you are right that www.quishibaike.com is a Chinese version of
Fail my Life. The author intends to use a Python script inside Vim to
retrieve jokes from that site. It makes no sense to those who doesn't
understand Chinese, for this reason, I think, the author has written
no English description about it. The website has a system of
censorship so that no spam or illegal content will be published. I
will inform the author about this issue.

On 5月6日, 上午1时24分, Erik Falor <ewfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:04:48AM +0800, bill lam wrote:
> > ??????, 05 ?????? 2010, Ben Fritz ??????????(??):
> > > Today we got the following Script: comments page added on the wiki:
>
> > >http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:3083
>
> > > Claiming that this plugin is spam and/or malware:
>
> > >http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3083
>
> > > The vim.org page is in a language I do not know how to read.
>
> > > Please comment if you know more about this issue.
>
> > I don't think it is intended to be spam. The author use python to
> > retrieve jokes from a PRC site to display inside vim. Those jokes
> > make no sense for those who cannot read Chinese.
>
> > Disclaimer: I don't know whether that PRC website contains spam,
> > malware or is a phishing website.
>
> www.vimer.cnis where you download the Python 2.6 version of something
> (I don't do so well with simplified Chinese). I'm sure that vimer.cn
> is (Dante) Zhu NianYang's personal blog. Anyway, I haven't gotten any
> malware yet!
>
> I'm not quite sure what to make ofwww.quishibaike.com. Apparently,
> quishi is "awkwardness". Baike is "hundred books" which usually means
> encyclopedia, or in this case, a wiki. Perhaps it's a Chinese version
> of Fail my Life (www.fmylife.com)?
>
> --
> Erik Falor
> Registered Linux User #445632http://counter.li.org
>
> signature.asc
> < 1K查看下载

Ben Fritz

May 6, 2010, 11:04:27 AM5/6/10
to vim_use

On May 6, 3:18 am, lilydjwg <lilyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, you are right thatwww.quishibaike.comis a Chinese version of
> Fail my Life. The author intends to use a Python script inside Vim to
> retrieve jokes from that site. It makes no sense to those who doesn't
> understand Chinese, for this reason, I think, the author has written
> no English description about it. The website has a system of
> censorship so that no spam or illegal content will be published. I
> will inform the author about this issue.

I have updated the script comments on the wiki:

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Script:3083

Feel free to make more edits if you feel it necessary.