Two Typos in the Vim FAQ ( http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/vimfaq.html )

Shlomi Fish

Sep 15, 2010, 5:39:17 PM9/15/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, yega...@yahoo.com
Hi all,

I discovered two typos in the Vim FAQ (which I've started going over for
enlightenment) and I was told that its maintainer is active here:

1. On 10.10 ":set whichwrap+=" should be ":set whichwrap+=>".

2.

{{{
10.8. How do I scroll two or more buffers simultaneously?

You can set the "scrollbind" option for each of the buffer to scroll them
simultaneously.
}}}

s/buffer/buffers/ . And a comma may be in order.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Sep 16, 2010, 12:33:54 AM9/16/10

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I discovered two typos in the Vim FAQ (which I've started going over for
> enlightenment) and I was told that its maintainer is active here:

I will update the FAQ to fix these errors. Thanks for reporting them.

I used to regularly update the text version of the FAQ long ago (6 years ago).
The text version used to be at http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/vim_faq.txt.
The text version was converted to the html version nightly by a script and
uploaded to the VimDoc site.

Now Yahoo has discontinued the geocities service. I couldn't find a proper
place for the text version of the Vim FAQ. So the FAQ is no longer updated.

Last year I thought about moving the FAQ pages to the Vim Wiki site.
But that didn't happen. As the FAQ is a big document, we need to split
it into multiple wiki pages (one per section?).

- Yegappan

John Beckett

Sep 16, 2010, 3:27:33 AM9/16/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
> Last year I thought about moving the FAQ pages to the Vim Wiki
> site. But that didn't happen. As the FAQ is a big document, we
> need to split it into multiple wiki pages (one per section?).

Sorry that I abandoned that project (well, technically, it is
still on my TODO list so it is not actually abandoned).

Major problems of putting the FAQ on the wiki include:
- The size, and working out how to split it up (doable).
- The formatting (very hard to convert to wikitext).
- The duplication with some tips (awkward maintenance).

In the end, I could not think of any improvement on the current
situation of having a single text file that a keen person can
download (as pure text) and view/search within Vim.

If you wanted somewhere to host the download, perhaps the
"Files" section shown at the following could be used:
http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use

And/or, the "Pages" section could hold the html version.

Due to spam problems, we had to restrict file changes to
managers only, but there is sure to be a way to accommodate that
if you wanted.

John

Shlomi Fish

Sep 16, 2010, 4:33:26 AM9/16/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Yegappan Lakshmanan
Hi Yegappan,

On Thursday 16 September 2010 06:33:54 Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I discovered two typos in the Vim FAQ (which I've started going over for
>
> > enlightenment) and I was told that its maintainer is active here:
> I will update the FAQ to fix these errors. Thanks for reporting them.

Thanks!

> I used to regularly update the text version of the FAQ long ago (6 years
> ago). The text version used to be at
> http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/vim_faq.txt. The text version was
> converted to the html version nightly by a script and uploaded to the
> VimDoc site.

Ah.

I am willing to host it on http://www.shlomifish.org/ or possibly
http://perl-begin.org/ .

> Last year I thought about moving the FAQ pages to the Vim Wiki site.
> But that didn't happen. As the FAQ is a big document, we need to split
> it into multiple wiki pages (one per section?).

Splitting a FAQ into multiple pages is a bad idea, because people often want
to search it for keywords using their browser/editor/etc. search function and
splitting it into several sections hinders it. Finding a hosting for the FAQ's
text file (and resultant HTML) is not such a big problem to require us to
resort to splitting it across multiple pages. See:

http://producingoss.com/en/producingoss.html

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

List of Portability Libraries - http://shlom.in/port-libs

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Sep 16, 2010, 3:04:47 PM9/16/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:27 AM, John Beckett <johnb....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
>> Last year I thought about moving the FAQ pages to the Vim Wiki
>> site. But that didn't happen. As the FAQ is a big document, we
>> need to split it into multiple wiki pages (one per section?).
>
> Sorry that I abandoned that project (well, technically, it is
> still on my TODO list so it is not actually abandoned).
>
> Major problems of putting the FAQ on the wiki include:
> - The size, and working out how to split it up (doable).
> - The formatting (very hard to convert to wikitext).
> - The duplication with some tips (awkward maintenance).

Agreed. Someone also needs to modify the existing FAQ file to use
the wiki syntax.

> In the end, I could not think of any improvement on the current
> situation of having a single text file that a keen person can
> download (as pure text) and view/search within Vim.
>
> If you wanted somewhere to host the download, perhaps the
> "Files" section shown at the following could be used:
> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use

This sounds good. I can upload the text version to this location.

> And/or, the "Pages" section could hold the html version.

Can this conversion be done automatically? Previously this conversion
used to be performed by a script running on the SourceForge server.

- Yegappan

> Due to spam problems, we had to restrict file changes to
> managers only, but there is sure to be a way to accommodate that
> if you wanted.
>
> John

Christian Brabandt

Sep 16, 2010, 3:28:02 PM9/16/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi John!

On Do, 16 Sep 2010, John Beckett wrote:

> Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
> > Last year I thought about moving the FAQ pages to the Vim Wiki
> > site. But that didn't happen. As the FAQ is a big document, we
> > need to split it into multiple wiki pages (one per section?).
>
> Sorry that I abandoned that project (well, technically, it is
> still on my TODO list so it is not actually abandoned).
>
> Major problems of putting the FAQ on the wiki include:
> - The size, and working out how to split it up (doable).

Please don't split it. How about submitting the FAQ to Bram for
inclusion into the Vim runtime files? I already got:

~$ ls ~/.vim/doc/*faq*
vim_faq.txt

but don't know when I got it, ah here:

Last updated on: 17 October 2004

Pretty old. I'd like an updated version.

regards,
Christian

John Beckett

Sep 17, 2010, 3:56:08 AM9/17/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
>> If you wanted somewhere to host the download, perhaps the
>> "Files" section shown at the following could be used:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use
>
> This sounds good. I can upload the text version to this location.

You would need to email me (or another manager) the file, and I
would upload it. Or, if the current file is available online, I
could download it.

>> And/or, the "Pages" section could hold the html version.
>
> Can this conversion be done automatically? Previously this
> conversion used to be performed by a script running on the
> SourceForge server.

No, there is nothing automatic. The Files section is to hold
files that people can download, and the Pages section is for web
pages. It has a rather klunky interface, but I can paste simple
html into it. I imagine that css is out of the question, so we
are stuck with whatever style Google has made available. Again,
I would have to get the html from somewhere and upload it.

Is there anything wrong with sourceforge.net/htmldoc apart from
your desire to get other people involved in maintenance of the FAQ?

John

John Beckett

Sep 17, 2010, 3:56:08 AM9/17/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Christian Brabandt wrote:
>> Major problems of putting the FAQ on the wiki include:
>> - The size, and working out how to split it up (doable).
>
> Please don't split it. How about submitting the FAQ to Bram
> for inclusion into the Vim runtime files? I already got:
>
> ~$ ls ~/.vim/doc/*faq*
> vim_faq.txt
>
> but don't know when I got it, ah here:
> Last updated on: 17 October 2004
>
> Pretty old. I'd like an updated version.

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. The FAQ is 229K and while
that's a small file by contemporary standards, it may be a bit
big for Bram to want to include?

The FAQ is not updated much; I have a 2 January 2005 version.

John

Christian Brabandt

Sep 18, 2010, 7:17:01 AM9/18/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yegappan!

On Do, 16 Sep 2010, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

BTW: you could send me a copy. I hope I can work on it a little bit.

regards,
Christian

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Sep 19, 2010, 12:59:30 AM9/19/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I discovered two typos in the Vim FAQ (which I've started going over for
> enlightenment) and I was told that its maintainer is active here:
>
> 1. On 10.10  ":set whichwrap+=" should be ":set whichwrap+=>".

The above error shows up only in the HTML version of the tag (as
the ">" is interpreted as the end of a HTML tag). In the text version of the
FAQ, the 'whichwrap' option is properly set.

- Yegappan

Shlomi Fish

Sep 19, 2010, 5:03:49 AM9/19/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Yegappan Lakshmanan

Then you should make sure you escape the ">" properly as "&gt;" during the
conversion.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

What Makes Software Apps High Quality - http://shlom.in/sw-quality

Shlomi Fish

Sep 22, 2010, 9:15:29 AM9/22/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Yegappan Lakshmanan
On Thursday 16 September 2010 06:33:54 Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I discovered two typos in the Vim FAQ (which I've started going over for
>
> > enlightenment) and I was told that its maintainer is active here:
> I will update the FAQ to fix these errors. Thanks for reporting them.
>
> I used to regularly update the text version of the FAQ long ago (6 years
> ago). The text version used to be at
> http://www.geocities.com/yegappan/vim_faq.txt. The text version was
> converted to the html version nightly by a script and uploaded to the
> VimDoc site.
>
> Now Yahoo has discontinued the geocities service. I couldn't find a proper
> place for the text version of the Vim FAQ. So the FAQ is no longer updated.
>
> Last year I thought about moving the FAQ pages to the Vim Wiki site.
> But that didn't happen. As the FAQ is a big document, we need to split
> it into multiple wiki pages (one per section?).
>
> - Yegappan

Hi Yegappan,

I found another typo:

{{{
12.10. How do I delete all the lines in a file that does not contain a
pattern?
}}}

Since "lines" it plural "that does not" should be "that do not". The same typo
also appears in the following paragraph.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

"Humanity" - Parody of Modern Life - http://shlom.in/humanity

Shlomi Fish

Sep 22, 2010, 9:27:54 AM9/22/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Yegappan Lakshmanan

And here's another one:

{{{
How do I insert the name of current file into the current buffer?
}}}

s/current file/the current file/

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

Funny Anti-Terrorism Story - http://shlom.in/enemy

Shlomi Fish

Oct 2, 2010, 3:52:25 PM10/2/10
On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:27:54 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2010 15:15:29 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Hi Yegappan,
> >
> > I found another typo:
> >
> > {{{
> > 12.10. How do I delete all the lines in a file that does not contain a
> >
> > pattern?
> >
> > }}}
> >
> > Since "lines" it plural "that does not" should be "that do not". The same
> > typo also appears in the following paragraph.
>
> And here's another one:
>
> {{{
> How do I insert the name of current file into the current buffer?
> }}}
>
> s/current file/the current file/

Here are some more:

{{{
You can also use the following command to set a option locally:
}}}

"a option" ==> "an option".

{{{
20.2. How do list all the user-defined key mappings?
}}}

"How do" ==> "How do I"

{{{
You can use the FileChangedRO autocommand event to execute a command when a
read-only file modified.
}}}

"modified" ==> "is modified" or "was modified".

{{{
You can use VimLeave autocmd event to execute a function just before Vim
exists. For example,
}}}

s/exists/exits/ .

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/

Escape from GNU Autohell - http://www.shlomifish.org/open-
source/anti/autohell/

Kazuo Teramoto

Oct 3, 2010, 9:39:29 AM10/3/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:56 AM, John Beckett <johnb....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there anything wrong with sourceforge.net/htmldoc apart from
> your desire to get other people involved in maintenance of the FAQ?

What about putting it on http://github.com ? The advantage is that is
easy for other people to maintain, as they only need to clone it and
send you a patch (and if you dont want to continue someone can fork
it)

I know that github.com support markdown (i.e. if you have a README if
markdown syntax its get rendered as html). But don't know how large it
can be.

--
«Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
Marie Sklodowska Curie.

Christian Brabandt

Oct 3, 2010, 10:11:05 AM10/3/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kazuo!

On So, 03 Okt 2010, Kazuo Teramoto wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:56 AM, John Beckett <johnb....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there anything wrong with sourceforge.net/htmldoc apart from
> > your desire to get other people involved in maintenance of the FAQ?
>
> What about putting it on http://github.com ? The advantage is that is
> easy for other people to maintain, as they only need to clone it and
> send you a patch (and if you dont want to continue someone can fork
> it)
>
> I know that github.com support markdown (i.e. if you have a README if
> markdown syntax its get rendered as html). But don't know how large it
> can be.

I already put my work on github:
http://www.github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq

regards,
Christian

Shlomi Fish

Oct 8, 2010, 12:06:04 PM10/8/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Yegappan Lakshmanan
Hi Yegappan!

I haven't got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the
corrections I've given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my initial report.
Can you acknowledge it?

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

List of Portability Libraries - http://shlom.in/port-libs

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Oct 8, 2010, 5:53:47 PM10/8/10
to Shlomi Fish, vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi Yegappan!
>
> I haven't got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the
> corrections I've given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my initial report.
> Can you acknowledge it?

I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.

- Yegappan

Carlo

Oct 8, 2010, 7:08:51 PM10/8/10
to vim_dev
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> > Hi Yegappan!
>
> > I haven't got an acknowldegment for you that you have received and applied the
> > corrections I've given you for your copy of vimfaq, after my initial report.
> > Can you acknowledge it?
>
> I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
> I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.

Regarding the issue of converting to HTML and hosting, how about using
the script I'm using at http://vimhelp.appspot.com? (See my thread
about that.) It's a Python script which converts from the vim help
format to HTML. It's still evolving; I'm eventually going to put it up
on github.

In fact, it would perhaps make some sense to host the FAQ at
vimhelp.appspot.com together with the official help files, so that it
can contain links to to them. And if the FAQ is hosted at github, then
I can regularly pull in the latest changes via cronjob, just like I'm
already doing for the official help files. Just a thought...

Carlo

Christian Brabandt

Oct 26, 2010, 5:08:40 PM10/26/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yegappan!

On Fr, 08 Okt 2010, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
> I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.

s/Christine/Christian

I have setup a github repository at http://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq
which includes the faq (plus the mentioned fixes in this thread, plus
some questions, that were recently asked on vim-use).

And while I was creating the repository I went ahead and made a plugin,
that can be downloaded from
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3298 and contains only
the faq in vim help format

Anybody that wants to have access, please notify me. I can give you
access to the repository.

regards,
Christian

Dominique Pellé

Oct 26, 2010, 5:40:12 PM10/26/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:

Thanks Christian

Attached patch fixes a few more typos in vim_faq.txt

Cheers
-- Dominique

fixed-typos-vim_faq.txt.patch

Yegappan Lakshmanan

Oct 27, 2010, 11:54:10 PM10/27/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Christian Brabandt <cbl...@256bit.org> wrote:
> Hi Yegappan!
>
> On Fr, 08 Okt 2010, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shlomi Fish <shl...@iglu.org.il> wrote:
>> I have corrected the typos mentioned below in my local copy of the Vim FAQ.
>> I will pass this onto Christine, so that we can check it into github.
>
> s/Christine/Christian

Sorry about that.

> I have setup a github repository at http://github.com/chrisbra/vim_faq
> which includes the faq (plus the mentioned fixes in this thread, plus
> some questions, that were recently asked on vim-use).

Thanks for doing this.

- Yegappan