http://vimhelp.appspot.com/

Carlo

Oct 3, 2010, 2:02:03 PM10/3/10
to vim_dev
Hi all,

Since vimdoc.sf.net seems to be lagging behind the latest Vim version
somewhat, and since it does not have pretty syntax highlighting, I
thought I'd rectify the situation by making my own version.

http://vimhelp.appspot.com/

Carlo

Oct 3, 2010, 1:06:50 PM10/3/10
to vim_dev
Sorry, I sent that off too early. To elaborate:

* It's built on Google App Engine
* It regularly retrieves the latest doc files from
http://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/ and processes them
* The Google custom search it uses doesn't work, presumably since
Google hasn't indexed the contents yet

Please let me know any feedback. I'm going to hold off advertising its
existence more widely (i.e. vim_use list) for now.

Bram, let me know if you approve of this or would like any changes to
it. Everyone else, hope you like it.

Carlo

Bram Moolenaar

Oct 3, 2010, 2:26:48 PM10/3/10
to Carlo, vim_dev

Carlo Teubner wrote:

To make another version of the help files useful the search should be
working. Perhaps it's indeed a matter of waiting for the indexing.

Where do you get the HTML files? Do you generate them somehow or do you
use the distributed ones?

Navigation from a page to main help file is problematic. Add a link to
help.txt on every page?

--
Married is a three ring circus:
First comes the engagement ring.

Ben Fritz

Oct 4, 2010, 9:34:00 AM10/4/10
to vim_dev

On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Carlo <carlo.teub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I sent that off too early. To elaborate:
>
> * It's built on Google App Engine
> * It regularly retrieves the latest doc files fromhttp://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/and processes them
> * The Google custom search it uses doesn't work, presumably since
> Google hasn't indexed the contents yet
>
> Please let me know any feedback. I'm going to hold off advertising its
> existence more widely (i.e. vim_use list) for now.
>
> Bram, let me know if you approve of this or would like any changes to
> it. Everyone else, hope you like it.

Compare the main page of vimhelp.appspot.com to the main page of
vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/

I notice that on vimhelp.appspot.com, the CTRL-D, CTRL-T, CTRL-O, etc.
are all nicely colored, indicating that something is recognized as
special about them, but that is all. On sourceforge, these are all
links. Although the sourceforge docs are not colored, I find them more
useful in this specific case. Is this something that can be fixed?

You have a good idea of an automatic update mechanism, certainly. I
find that out-of-data help files online can be very annoying.

Carlo

Oct 6, 2010, 5:27:05 PM10/6/10
to vim_dev
On 4 Oct, 14:34, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 12:06 pm, Carlo <carlo.teub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I sent that off too early. To elaborate:
>
> > * It's built on Google App Engine
> > * It regularly retrieves the latest doc files fromhttp://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/andprocesses them
> > * The Google custom search it uses doesn't work, presumably since
> > Google hasn't indexed the contents yet
>
> > Please let me know any feedback. I'm going to hold off advertising its
> > existence more widely (i.e. vim_use list) for now.
>
> > Bram, let me know if you approve of this or would like any changes to
> > it. Everyone else, hope you like it.
>
> Compare the main page of vimhelp.appspot.com to the main page of
> vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
>
> I notice that on vimhelp.appspot.com, the CTRL-D, CTRL-T, CTRL-O, etc.
> are all nicely colored, indicating that something is recognized as
> special about them, but that is all. On sourceforge, these are all
> links. Although the sourceforge docs are not colored, I find them more
> useful in this specific case. Is this something that can be fixed?

Fixed now for CTRL-sequences and some other miscellaneous cases.
Although it's true that the way that vimdoc.sf.net links absolutely
everything that is linkable has its advantages. Perhaps I will
experiment later on with making more things links, without making them
stand out too much from the other text.

Regarding Bram's comment, I've also added some quick links to the top
and bottom of each page.

> You have a good idea of an automatic update mechanism, certainly. I
> find that out-of-data help files online can be very annoying.

Thanks. To respond to Bram's query on this: I've got an hourly cronjob
that downloads http://vim.googlecode.com/hg/runtime/doc/ and all .txt
files listed there. (It uses the HTTP "ETag" cacheing mechanism to
minimise traffic, and to notice when files haven't changed.) It then
generates the HTML-ified versions.

By the way, the site search works now.

Carlo

Bram Moolenaar

Oct 8, 2010, 11:49:48 AM10/8/10
to Carlo, vim_dev

Carlo Teubner wrote:

Thanks, the pages look good now, the links at the top are very useful.

Search still doesn't work for me.

250. You've given up the search for the "perfect woman" and instead,
sit in front of the PC until you're just too tired to care.

Carlo Teubner

Oct 18, 2010, 5:43:37 PM10/18/10
to vim_dev
Just a brief update: the site has seen a few improvements, notably
everything that can be is now linked; although words that are not
highlighted are not in any way marked as a link, except when you
mouse-over. I thought this is an acceptable compromise between
usability and looks. Also it mirrors the way the help files look
within Vim. Finally, the Googlebots now appear to have made up their
hivemind to index the whole site, so the custom search is now working
properly.

I'd be grateful for reports of any problems with the site, e.g.
whether it looks bad in certain browsers, since I haven't tested it
very much across browsers.

Carlo

Ben Fritz

Oct 18, 2010, 9:57:06 PM10/18/10
to vim_dev

On Oct 18, 4:43 pm, Carlo Teubner <carlo.teub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be grateful for reports of any problems with the site, e.g.
> whether it looks bad in certain browsers, since I haven't tested it
> very much across browsers.

This page looks pretty terrible in Opera, Safari, Chrome, and IE8:

http://vimhelp.appspot.com/options.txt.html

The entire page is shifted left off the screen, and does not allow
scrolling to see the content. In Opera I can use the "fit page to
width" feature or disable CSS to view it but I think something is
wrong with the CSS. I apparently do not have Firefox installed on this
computer (I thought I did, not sure what happened there) so I did not
look on Firefox.

Christian J. Robinson

Oct 18, 2010, 10:10:57 PM10/18/10
to vim_dev
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Ben Fritz wrote:

> This page looks pretty terrible in Opera, Safari, Chrome, and IE8:
>
> http://vimhelp.appspot.com/options.txt.html
>

> [...] I apparently do not have Firefox installed on this computer (I

> thought I did, not sure what happened there) so I did not look on
> Firefox.

It looks fine in my Firefox, but you're right, it's definitely
rendering badly in Opera. It shows the same problem in Konqueror
3.5.4.

- Christian

--
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can
solve them. -- Isaac Asimov

Benjamin R. Haskell

Oct 18, 2010, 11:57:05 PM10/18/10
to vim_dev
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Ben Fritz wrote:

It's the fact that the outermost content <div> has a style of:
float: left; position: relative; left: 50%
And the next nested <div> has a style of:
float: left; position: relative; left: -50%

The inner div containing most of the page's content gets pushed off to
the left. If you decrease the size of the browser window, you can
actually push it all the way off the left side.

I'm not sure what the positive-percentage left offset paired with the
identical-but-negative-percentage left offset is supposed to accomplish,
but it doesn't seem to work with the floated divs. May as well not use
it, as I don't think Firefox's rendering is correct, anyway. (Seems
like there should be widths specified on one or both of the divs for the
relative percentages to be useful.)

--
Best,
Ben

Antonio Colombo

Oct 19, 2010, 3:02:58 AM10/19/10
to vim...@googlegroups.com, Antonio Colombo
Hi everybody,

the problem is that the "options.txt" page
contains a single very long line, line # 4334.
This should be taken care of, either with some
"ad hoc" code or with a general solution.

Antonio
--
/||\ | Antonio Colombo
/ || \ | ant...@geekcorp.com

Bee

Oct 19, 2010, 3:36:44 PM10/19/10
to vim_dev
On Oct 19, 12:02 am, "Antonio Colombo" <azc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the problem is that the "options.txt" page
> contains a single very long line, line # 4334.

I copied the html and css files to my Mac and removed the two div's
with the 50% and -50%, it then displays beautifully in Safari and
Firefox, EVEN with that long line.

What is the intent of those div's?

-Bill

Carlo

Oct 31, 2010, 8:07:59 AM10/31/10
to vim_dev
The two divs are there to make the <pre> block centered, while keeping
the text itself left-aligned. I got this trick from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1269589/css-center-block-but-left-align-contents
Admittedly I'm not very experienced with CSS so this might not be the
best way of doing it.

I've fixed the issue with overlong lines like in options.txt with some
more CSS trickery. I've tested it in latest Firefox, Opera, Chrome and
IE and it looks fine; haven't tested older browsers.

Also, non-ASCII characters like on that very long line in options.txt
should now display fine in all browsers (I had to mark the content as
UTF-8 in the HTTP headers).

The source code is available at http://github.com/c4rlo/vimhelp,
including the Google App Engine config files.

Let me know if anyone still sees any problems.

Thanks,
Carlo

Ben Fritz

Oct 31, 2010, 11:30:44 PM10/31/10
to vim_dev

On Oct 31, 7:07 am, Carlo <carlo.teub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've fixed the issue with overlong lines like in options.txt with some
> more CSS trickery. I've tested it in latest Firefox, Opera, Chrome and
> IE and it looks fine; haven't tested older browsers.

Nicely done, it looks much better.

> Let me know if anyone still sees any problems.

Only minor ones. There is a horizontal scrollbar present even though
there does not seem to be any content to scroll to. Also, it doesn't
validate.

http://validator.w3.org/