[videoblogging] BBC free access the archive!

Tom

Oct 14, 2005, 3:20:24 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
'UK users can now download BBC footage for use in their own films -
without paying a penny.'

check out today's bbc web page
http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Tom
http://www.fastmovinganimals.blogspot.com/
feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/FastMovingAnimals

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Beth Kanter

Oct 14, 2005, 3:37:49 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
only if you are a UK citizen

Kearney, Pat

Oct 14, 2005, 3:30:24 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
only if u live in UK

Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 12:20 PM

To: videob...@yahoogroups.com

Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

Oct 14, 2005, 3:57:04 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:30:24 +0200, Kearney, Pat <pkea...@amazon.com>
wrote:

> only if u live in UK

That's why the quote said: '*UK* users can now download BBC footage for
use in their own films - without paying a penny.'

It is only fair. After all they are the ones who are sponsoring the BBC.

- Andreas
--
<URL:http://www.solitude.dk/>

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Andy Carvin

Oct 14, 2005, 4:35:21 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
There appears to be no technical means of blocking non-UK residents - I
just set up a free account without any problems - but the webpage
certainly makes it clear:

"Content provided under the Creative Archive Licence is only available
to residents of the United Kingdom."

Still, it'll be fun to poke around and see what they've got in the
archive...

ac

Kearney, Pat wrote:
> only if u live in UK

-----------------------------------
Andy Carvin
Program Director
EDC Center for Media & Community
acarvin @ edc . org
http://www.digitaldivide.net
http://katrina05.blogspot.com
Blog: http://www.andycarvin.com
-----------------------------------

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Beth Kanter

Oct 14, 2005, 8:45:24 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
Does the license spell out what happens if non-UK citizen uses it? Not
that I would test British copyright laws or anything.

Beth Kanter

Oct 14, 2005, 8:50:50 PM10/14/05
to videob...@yahoogroups.com
Andy:

Well, looks like you got past their system

    Oct 14, 2005, 10:27:43 PM10/14/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    Hey Folks,

    Is anyone on this list know of any nonprofit organizations using the medium of vlogging to share their story?  Any folks work in the nonprofit sector?  I'm doing a quick scan for examples, ideas, comments, observations.

    Please leave a comment on blog or reply to the list.

    Thanks

    Beth

    Verdi

    Oct 15, 2005, 12:10:17 PM10/15/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    My theater company just started adding video to their blog. There's
    only one up right now. Two others are on the way.
    http://jump-start.org
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/jumpstart

    --
    Verdi

    On Oct 14, 2005, at 9:27 PM, Beth Kanter wrote:

    > Hey Folks,
    >
    > Is anyone on this list know of any nonprofit organizations using
    > the medium of vlogging to share their story? Any folks work in the
    > nonprofit sector? I'm doing a quick scan for examples, ideas,
    > comments, observations.
    >
    > Please leave a comment on blog or reply to the list.
    > http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2005/10/vlogging_and_no.html
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Beth
    >

    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
    >
    > Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

    > videobloggin...@yahoogroups.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    Beth Kanter

    Oct 15, 2005, 1:31:23 PM10/15/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    Verdi, Brett, and others:

    Thanks for the quick response here on the list and in the comments on my blog.  I've now collected 3 examples when I thought they might not be any!  (http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2005/10/vlogging_and_no.html)

    A while back, I raised a question in a vlog post why a particular nonprofit wasn't vlogging.   I heard about some of the barriers

    1) We have a lot of rich media content on our site that we would like to centralize in our site.
    2) We felt the production time for our content producers would be a burden. I mean we have a hard enough time carving out 15 minutes a day to type text!
    3) The type of content we have produced in the past and will likely continue with does not lend itself to video blogging.
    4) Video blogs are relatively new and immature, we didn't feel user experience a vlog generated and the amount of users it reached was worth the cost (in hours and money).

    Okay, so are all vlogging advocates in one way or another, if you were trying to convince nonprofits to experiment, what would you say?

    We have a site that is currently in beta http://www.homelessarchive.org .  Right now, users can't submit their own videos and there are no RSS feeds, but we're developing a drupal version that people can do both those things with.

    ---------

    Brett Gaylor

    br...@etherworks.ca

    www.etherworks.ca

    Oct 15, 2005, 6:41:23 PM10/15/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    Hi Beth,

    I am the web designer for a non-profit organization, http://www.gmhcn.org/,
    and I started a vlog to showcase their annual conference
    http://gmhcnvideos.blogspot.com/

    The organization itself has no idea what a vlog is (or a blog, for that
    matter), and they didn't expect these to appear on the website, but they
    loved the videos and want more! It's a creative way to "get the word out."

    I'm interested in hearing others' responses to your question because I'd
    like to do some observing of my own!

    Jayme
    http://raynesworld.blogspot.com/

    > Is anyone on this list know of any nonprofit organizations using the
    > medium of vlogging to share their story? Any folks work in the
    > nonprofit sector? I'm doing a quick scan for examples, ideas, comments,
    > observations.
    >
    > Please leave a comment on blog or reply to the list.
    > http://beth.typepad.com/beths_blog/2005/10/vlogging_and_no.html
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Beth

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    Jack Olmsted

    Oct 15, 2005, 10:12:46 PM10/15/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    --- In videob...@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Kanter" <beth@b...>
    wrote:

    > Hey Folks,
    >
    > Is anyone on this list know of any nonprofit organizations using
    the
    > medium of vlogging to share their story? Any folks work in the
    > nonprofit sector? I'm doing a quick scan for examples, ideas,
    comments,
    > observations.

    NORML has a video blog that I set-up right after Seattle HempFest in
    August:

    http://normltv.blogspot.com

    The Washington DC office is now seeking funding to purchase video
    and editing equipment. A couple of weeks ago they launched a video
    blogging contest with cash prizes. The $$$ was donated by a member
    that is a film producer.

    The Great Port Townsend Bay Kinetic Skulpture Race now has a video
    blog: http://kineticu.blogspot.com

    Currently, there are 17 videos accessable through the Kinetic
    Universe Video/Photo blog from the October 1-2 event. Next week, all
    the video shot for the video blog will be available through the city
    and country libraries on a two disc DVD set. There is talk about
    making a DVD of several events around the country next season and
    selling it through libraries nationwide. All $$$ from the sale of
    the DVDs would be split with event organizers.

    -Jack
    http://view-point.blogspot.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    jonny goldstein

    Oct 15, 2005, 11:19:52 PM10/15/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com
    A not for profit I work for will start vlogging in about a month. I'll post when it's up and
    running

    Frank Carver

    Oct 16, 2005, 9:25:48 AM10/16/05
    to videob...@yahoogroups.com

    Saturday, October 15, 2005, 1:45:24 AM, Beth Kanter wrote:

    > Does the license spell out what happens if non-UK citizen uses it?   Not
    > that I would test British copyright laws or anything.

    This edges on something that has fascinated me for months now.

    There seems to be a strange discontinuity between the ideas of "UK
    resident" and "TV licence payer". The BBC seems to be explicitly
    making its material available to the first of these disjoint groups,
    instead of (the apparently more suitable) second group. Sure these
    groups largely overlap, but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

    The BBC TV licence service doesn't like to admit it, but there are
    people in the UK who do not pay a TV licence fee. Usually this is
    because these people have no TV.

    My suggestion (which seems on the surface, to me, to be a better one
    all round) is that this material instead be limited not to UK
    residents but to TV licence payers. This has several potential
    advantages:

    1. It realigns the responsibilities and the logical basis of the
    limitation.

    2. Crazy and unworkable geo-ip schemes need not apply. Simply use the
    existing TV licence number as a login.

    3. It opens the possibility of selling UK TV licences outside the UK!

    Currently the UK TV licence costs roughly GBP 10 (that's about USD 18)
    per month. That sounds like a frickin' good deal for access to the
    whole BBC back catalogue, if they were to open it up.

    The BBC wants cash. You lot want content. Let's all lobby the BBC
    to "do the right thing".

    --
    Frank Carver http://www.makevideo.org.uk

    Beth Kanter