"Religion in the U.S. Military"

1 view
Skip to the first unread message

Mike

25 May 2004, 16:53:0525/05/2004

25 May 2004, 17:15:5725/05/2004

25 May 2004, 23:05:2725/05/2004

> Mormons 16103
> Muslims 4154
> Jews 3781
> Buddhists 3339
> Atheists 2432
> Hindus 545
> unknown 113238
>
> from U.S. DOD

I think the number on active duty is larger. Keep in mind that a large
majority of the people classified as "unknown" choose that because the "dog
tags" have the religion printed on them. We were told to put "no preference"
or "no religion" because if we were caught in a Islamic country with
"Christian" or something like that on it then we would be treated badly.

la n.

26 May 2004, 00:09:0526/05/2004

BadBender <BadB...@cox.net> wrote in message

Believe it or not, in the 2001 Canadian Census, 20,000
Canuckistanians declared themselves to be of the Jedi religion:

http://www.canada.com/national/features/census/story.html?id=A4623A62-5195-4
B57-B40B-087D8F38CF6F

Some 20,000 Canadians worship at the altar of Yoda

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

OTTAWA -- May the Force be with you. And also with you. Amen.

An astonishing 20,000 Canadians declared themselves to be followers
of the religion of Jedi, the guardians of peace and justice in the Star
Wars flicks, Statistics Canada reported Tuesday in the latest, and
final, data to come from the 2001 census

< snip >

- nilita (who says there would be peace on earth if everybody
became jedis)

BadBender

26 May 2004, 06:25:3126/05/2004

> Believe it or not, in the 2001 Canadian Census, 20,000
> Canuckistanians declared themselves to be of the Jedi religion:

http://www.canada.com/national/features/census/story.html?id=A4623A62-5195-4
> B57-B40B-087D8F38CF6F
>
> Some 20,000 Canadians worship at the altar of Yoda
>
> Tuesday, May 13, 2003
>
> OTTAWA -- May the Force be with you. And also with you. Amen.
>
> An astonishing 20,000 Canadians declared themselves to be followers
> of the religion of Jedi, the guardians of peace and justice in the Star
> Wars flicks, Statistics Canada reported Tuesday in the latest, and
> final, data to come from the 2001 census
>
> < snip >
>
> - nilita (who says there would be peace on earth if everybody
> became jedis)

That's awesome.

Message has been deleted

Colonel Polyps

26 May 2004, 10:51:1426/05/2004

"Mike" <yared...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

You mean the forced religion statistics.

Start asking people if they are christian and do they see angels and
ghosts.

Harvey4066

26 May 2004, 11:34:1726/05/2004
>You mean the forced religion statistics.

Military personnel are not required to provide any religions preference. How do
you "force" a statistic?

la n.

26 May 2004, 12:04:2026/05/2004

BadBender <BadB...@cox.net> wrote in message

You like that? I expect the numbers to go up in the next
Census as people become more jaded by religion and
wars ... :)

- nilita (novice Jedi)

BadBender

26 May 2004, 22:27:4826/05/2004

> > That's awesome.
> >

> You like that? I expect the numbers to go up in the next
> Census as people become more jaded by religion and
> wars ... :)
>
> - nilita (novice Jedi)

Yeah, that's pretty neat. Instead of a Bible or Koran you can use a kick ass
light saber!

BadBender

26 May 2004, 22:29:4826/05/2004

> > I think the number on active duty is larger. Keep in mind that a large
> > majority of the people classified as "unknown" choose that because the
> > "dog tags" have the religion printed on them. We were told to put "no
> > preference" or "no religion" because if we were caught in a Islamic
> > country with "Christian" or something like that on it then we would be
> > treated badly.
>
> That's pretty stupid advice from your chain of command. Any Westerner is
> considered a Christian anyway, what your dog tags say won't make a bit of
> difference.
>
> Besides, there are still one million Christians [Catholic and Orthodox] in
> Iraq, its not like they aren't used to being around them. Go to Baghdad
and
> you'll see quite a few churches.

I didn't have a choice in my chain of command. I though it sounded kind of
silly when they told me it but then again every bit helps. I've been to
Baghdad and I didn't see a single "church". If they were there they were
hidden.

la n.

27 May 2004, 01:09:4727/05/2004

BadBender <BadB...@cox.net> wrote in message

Yeppers!

- nilita (living in la Vida Yoda)

Message has been deleted

Colonel Polyps

27 May 2004, 09:39:2827/05/2004

"Harvey4066" <harve...@aol.com> wrote in message

Religious federal holidays.

I am declared Catholic. I do not beleive in ghosts, angels or satan. The
only power I beleive in is the force that keeps me on the ground while
the earth spins around at a tremendous speed. If I stopped believing in
that force I would sail off into space.

All christians worship a torture device and I do not want to be on a
statistic chart stating so.

Now Grandpa Bomb, Maryland 1758, was a great force. My relatives smoked
pot with George Washingotn at Valley Forge. And they had even a bigger
party at Yorktown.

Death to Christian Warriors.

Harvey4066

27 May 2004, 12:39:3527/05/2004
>Religious federal holidays.

I guess your'e talking about Christmas. Ought to be outlawed, violation of the
First Amendment.
Harvey C. Scobie
Radcliff, KY

~Nins~

27 May 2004, 13:09:4527/05/2004
Harvey4066 wrote:
||| Religious federal holidays.
|| I guess your'e talking about Christmas. Ought to be outlawed,
|| violation of the First Amendment.

Why? How so?

For some, it is a day to share one's love of others by giving gifts, and for
them may not have any other meaning than that one.

Colonel Polyps

28 May 2004, 13:06:3528/05/2004

"~Nins~" <nom...@noreply.com> wrote in message

> || I guess your'e talking about Christmas. Ought to be outlawed,
> || violation of the First Amendment.
>
> Why? How so?

Selling votes. Separation of church and state.
Taxation without representation.

> For some, it is a day to share one's love of others by giving gifts,
and for
> them may not have any other meaning than that one.

Don't shove it down my throat.
If my grandpa Bomb were alive today he'd speak some very soft words to
you.

Death to christian warriors.

Ajax Telamon

29 May 2004, 20:52:1829/05/2004
At least there are a couple of thousand atheists in foxholes.
--
Ajax Telamon
"In the end, more than the

Colonel Polyps

30 May 2004, 07:38:4330/05/2004
My opinion is if they started allowing agnostics to peacefully assemble
war would be unnecessary..

voodoo disease 666

"Ajax Telamon" <tel...@houston.rr.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Colin Campbell

5 Sept 2004, 23:26:5705/09/2004
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:27:10 GMT, Mapanari
<an-non...@fakemail.com> wrote:

>A real contratemps....you go to Iraq and get your head cut off for being a
>christian or jew.
>You come back to the States when Bush wins re-election, and you're
>discharged, demoted or fined under the new Bush regime for being anything
>but a Christian.

What a lame attempt at trolling.

"Keep looking below surface appearances. Don't shrink
from doing so (just) because you might not like what
you find."
General Colin Powell

sanjian

6 Sept 2004, 08:39:0106/09/2004
Colin Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:27:10 GMT, Mapanari
> <an-non...@fakemail.com> wrote:
>

>> A real contratemps....you go to Iraq and get your head cut off for
>> being a christian or jew.
>> You come back to the States when Bush wins re-election, and you're
>> discharged, demoted or fined under the new Bush regime for being
>> anything but a Christian.
>
> What a lame attempt at trolling.

Actually, he's probably serious. Dead wrong, but serious. Welcome to the
democratic process of 2004.

Though, just out of curiosity, even assuming that I avoid getting my head
cut off for being a Christian, how would I find myself unemployed for -not-
being a Christian? And since the Jews own everything, anyways, why do they
have to worry. Seems like those in the greatest risk in the Middle East are
the safest here.