we got to stop building the army.

1 view

Suave Nyc1

Dec 10, 2000, 1:42:17 AM12/10/00
there's not point. Why do we have to protect our selves from our fellow man. we
should embrace each other in peace in harmony instead of trying to form
divisions amongst the human race. who cares if they're commies, arabs,
chinnese, liberals, conservatives, that shit don't matter. In the end we're all
the same. why do we have to kill each other for money. I read somewhere that
more than halph the world goes to bed hungry and that the USA has the
capabilities to feed the entire world. Why do we have to be such greedy
bastards. We are the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world. The
soviet union is dead capitalism won. what more do you want. you want God to
come down from heaven and proclaim the US the ruler of the universe. It doesn't
matter what the state of the US army is. What about the state of the world.
Woudn't it be great if we could help the Russians our former "enemies" out of
thier slump. what an example that would set for the world, for the middle east.

I know that I will get much opposition because from many of because you've made
careers out of the military and believe that it is noble to serve this country
that has given so much to us. But i would much rather serve Humanity. serve not
my fellow Americans but my fellow humans, chinese, african, russian. it doesnt
matter.

redc1c4

Dec 10, 2000, 2:28:24 AM12/10/00
Suave Nyc1 wrote:

> there's not point. Why do we have to protect our selves from our fellow man.

because the average person is no smarter than you, and historically goes
after the haves, rather than save his own sorry ass. had you educated
yourself,
you'd know this, but then you'd never have posted this drivel.

redc1c4,
this would explain your choice of senator, no? read my sig, assholio......
--
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We

big_...@hotmail.com

Dec 10, 2000, 9:52:21 AM12/10/00
On 10 Dec 2000 06:42:17 GMT, suav...@aol.com (Suave Nyc1) wrote:

>I read somewhere that
>more than halph the world goes to bed hungry and that the USA has the
>capabilities to feed the entire world. Why do we have to be such greedy
>bastards.

There aint no such thing as a free lunch.

HarVEE

Dec 10, 2000, 6:41:39 PM12/10/00

>Suave Nyc1 wrote in message (snippage)

This man's intellect is surpassed only by his grammatical prowess.

David Casey

Dec 10, 2000, 10:29:26 PM12/10/00
"HarVEE" <honda...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> >Suave Nyc1 wrote in message (snippage)
>
> This man's intellect is surpassed only by his grammatical prowess.

ROFL! This was funnier than reading the latest rant from Brian over on afm!
:-)

Dave

roge...@my-deja.com

Dec 11, 2000, 12:29:14 AM12/11/00
A robust society needs philosophers as well as warriors. Both are
necessary, though both usually don't understand the need for the other.

You are the philosopher. I was the warrior. It's the way things are.
Just like violence and the strong preying on the weak are the way
things are. We both fill our niches.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

In article <20001210014217...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

DeathBunny

Dec 11, 2000, 8:11:29 AM12/11/00
"Suave Nyc1" <suav...@aol.com> wrote in message

> there's not point. Why do we have to protect our selves from our fellow
man.

Becuase our fellow man seeks to control or destroy what he doesn't RESPECT
or FEAR.
We prefer to be able to determine our own course of action, therefore we try
to make it a scary proposition to fight us and dominate us.

> we
> should embrace each other in peace in harmony instead of trying to form
> divisions amongst the human race. who cares if they're commies, arabs,
> chinnese, liberals, conservatives, that shit don't matter.

Fact: these divisions exist, period.

And to most human beings, race, religion, and other preferences ARE
important! In some cases, important enough to kill or die for.

Human beings are inherently "tribal". We both seek to "identify" with
people and yet are limited by the number of people we can identify with.
Unless everone was of almost the same background with no percievable
difference to us (note: this is a possible reason for certain successes on
the internet), dischord will exist. Period.

> In the end we're all
> the same.

See above.

> why do we have to kill each other for money.

Money is power.

Primarily, a means to control what we can and cannot do. It is food,
shelter, and freedom.

These are all classical needs and reasons for fighting, if one values his
own life and those of his family.

>I read somewhere that
> more than halph the world goes to bed hungry and that the USA has the
> capabilities to feed the entire world. Why do we have to be such greedy
> bastards.

For many, those hungry people are either unable to recieve help (like in
Somalia where gangs took the food provided by relief workers by force for
their own use or to sell.) or don't want help from us because the price is
to high (as in a little bit of effort, stop trying to kill others, and let
people determine for themselves what they want to do.)

>We are the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world. The
> soviet union is dead capitalism won. what more do you want. you want God
> come down from heaven and proclaim the US the ruler of the universe. It
doesn't
> matter what the state of the US army is.

Actually, it does matter.

For those that respect the US and we are able to treat as peers, trade on
good terms and form econo-politico-bonds to, the military doesn't matter.

For those that consider starting wars, fighting our interests, or other
dastardly activity in our sphere of influence, the military IS VERY
IMPORTANT. A strong and capable military can PREVENT warfare. Only when
people think they can either beat us or that we won't fight (i.e. Iraq, WWII
Germany) do they start wars that involve us.

That's why we won the Cold War: we showed that we would fight (Korea,
Vietnam, Cuban blockade) and we had the means to call a Russian victory into
question.

Just because there isn't a big world power out there...no, wait, I forgot
China...

> What about the state of the world.
> Woudn't it be great if we could help the Russians our former "enemies" out
of
> thier slump. what an example that would set for the world, for the middle
east.

Ummm...you do realize the economic effort and investment going into the
former Soviet Union, don't you?

And as for the Middle East, those people have been fighing each other for a
millenia over religion (Moslem vs. Jew, Moslem vs. Persian, Shiite Moslem
vs. Suuni Moslem, Moslem vs. Christians) and more recently oil (Iraq vs.
Kuwait, Iraq vs. Iran). Unless you want to a) kill them all b) eliminate
all religious differences or c) create a military structure in each camp
that will KEEP THEM FROM WANTING TO FIGHT...

Peace in the Middle East ain't gonna' happen.

> I know that I will get much opposition because from many of because you've
made
> careers out of the military and believe that it is noble to serve this
country
> that has given so much to us. But i would much rather serve Humanity.
serve not
> my fellow Americans but my fellow humans, chinese, african, russian. it
doesnt
> matter.

Y'know, I'm not a fan of unnecessary violence. Your idea has some appeal,
it's just not realistic.

Man isn't an ideal creature when it comes to peace and peace, in fact, is an
unnatural and temporary occurence in nature.

If you continue to pursue your ideals, I think you will find yourself
abused, decieved, and controlled by those you seek to help.

May I suggest you instead help those that want to be helped and have a good
chance to survive it?

--
"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism
while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
- Benjamin Franklin

"Run away! Run Away!"
-King Arthur, Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution
inevitable.
-- John F. Kennedy

Medic554

Dec 11, 2000, 10:10:53 AM12/11/00
You're wrong. Let me tell you why.

First, peace and harmony will never rule the world. It's against human
nature. As long as there have been humans and as long as there will be
humans, there will be war. YOU won't change that. Not having a military
won't change that either. People will STILL fight - with sticks and stones
if they have to.

Second, war isn't generally about race but about territory - wether it is a
country trying to seize more land from other countries, or a group of people
trying to split their region into a new country. Then, of course, there's
the middle eastern holy war type crap, that's really fought about religion.

Third, the US is already spending a lot of its resources on 3rd world
countries, such as African countries, North Korea etc. in humanitarian aid.
Every time there's a big disaster (earthquake, floods etc) the US send out
people and material to help them. Do you know how much money is being spent
on that? Add to that the expenses of material and manpower the US sends
across the world for peacekeeping, and then quit claiming that the US isn't
doing enough.

And yes, it matters what state the military is in. As it is now, with all
the funds being taken away, soldiers often have to work side jobs just to
make ends meet. Military housing is a second matter - a lot of it needs
work, and lots of it. All the medical benefits Clinton has taken from the
military must be reinstituted. Fact is, if you work a civilian job, you get
paid MORE and you get better benefits. The military NEEDS money to fix those
problems, and to keep their bases decent and their equipment running.

The US is already helping the Russians. They're also sending humanitarian
aid to North Korea, even Iraq that we're STILL at war with.

Aaron R. Kulkis

Dec 11, 2000, 6:55:41 PM12/11/00

Every day, Evil people are born. Some of them get into positions
of GREAT power.

Prudent people raise and support armies (even in peacetime) not only
to protect themselves from these evil people...but to DETER the evil
people from even trying their bullshit in the first place.

If France, Britain had Poland all had suitably sized armies,
Hitler would be nothing more than an obscure name in German
history books.

But because Poland, France, and Britain FAILED to bothered to make
the necessary sacrifices to have a well-sized army, then there never
would have been a WW2...merely a small regional war in the Pacific.

Proof: See what happened when the Swiss were tipped off to Hitler's
plan to invade. The army was mobilized overnight...and the invasion
was called off.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

you are lazy, stupid people"

Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

A: The wise man is mocked by fools.

direction that she doesn't like.

...despite (C) above.

her behavior improves.

G: Knackos...you're a retard.

Aaron R. Kulkis

Dec 11, 2000, 6:57:05 PM12/11/00
roge...@my-deja.com wrote:

> A robust society needs philosophers as well as warriors. Both are
> necessary, though both usually don't understand the need for the other.
>
> You are the philosopher. I was the warrior. It's the way things are.
> Just like violence and the strong preying on the weak are the way
> things are. We both fill our niches.

How narrow.

A fully developed man if both a philosopher AND a warrior.

DeathBunny

Dec 11, 2000, 8:05:15 PM12/11/00
Why is that the ex-Medics gave the most thought out replies?

Medic554

Dec 12, 2000, 5:45:33 AM12/12/00
Who said I was an ex-Medic? <g>

--
Gerrold's Laws of Infernal Dynamics: 1. An object in motion will be heading
in the wrong direction. 2. An object at rest will be in the wrong place.

"DeathBunny" <todkan...@home.com> wrote in message

Medic554

Dec 12, 2000, 5:47:49 AM12/12/00

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <aku...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> roge...@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > A robust society needs philosophers as well as warriors. Both are
> > necessary, though both usually don't understand the need for the other.
> >
> > You are the philosopher. I was the warrior. It's the way things are.
> > Just like violence and the strong preying on the weak are the way
> > things are. We both fill our niches.
>
> How narrow.
>

> A fully developed man if both a philosopher AND a warrior.

Unfortunately, YOU are neither, and thus not a man. <g>

billh

Dec 12, 2000, 6:08:19 AM12/12/00

"Aaron R. Kulkis

> > A robust society needs philosophers as well as warriors. Both are
> > necessary, though both usually don't understand the need for the other.
> >
> > You are the philosopher. I was the warrior. It's the way things are.
> > Just like violence and the strong preying on the weak are the way
> > things are. We both fill our niches.
>
> How narrow.
>

> A fully developed man if both a philosopher AND a warrior.

Then your development is stunted.

DeathBunny

redc1c4

Dec 12, 2000, 12:05:13 PM12/12/00
"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
(snipage occurs)
> A fully developed man if both a philosopher AND a warrior.

this, from the person who couldn't/wouldn't complete the liberal arts
portion of their education? your hypocrisy is amusing, and pathetic.

redc1c4,
you're nekulturny, "war hero"
--
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude

better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in
peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the

hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may
posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

redc1c4

Dec 12, 2000, 12:06:30 PM12/12/00
"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
(snipage occurs)

> Proof: See what happened when the Swiss were tipped off to Hitler's

> plan to invade. The army was mobilized overnight...and the invasion
> was called off.

cite please........

redc1c4,
or did you make this up too?

redc1c4

Dec 12, 2000, 12:09:26 PM12/12/00
DeathBunny wrote:

> Why is that the ex-Medics gave the most thought out replies?

the training to evaluate and assess before beginning treatment?

redc1c4,
'course, Cav Scouts are taught to recon before initiating...... %-)

Medic554

Dec 12, 2000, 2:08:49 PM12/12/00
multitasking. Hehe, breathing, typing and reading at the same time? <g> (or
would THAT be officer-multitasking?)

--
Gerrold's Laws of Infernal Dynamics: 1. An object in motion will be heading
in the wrong direction. 2. An object at rest will be in the wrong place.

"DeathBunny" <todkan...@home.com> wrote in message

DeathBunny

Dec 12, 2000, 7:54:12 PM12/12/00
Newsgroup, FreeCell, Tinkering with a webpage I might make up, listening to
MP3's, and trying to find particular info for webpage...

I'm very familiar with the (not responding) blurb in the "Close Program
Window"...

BTW, are you still active duty?

DeathBunny

Dec 12, 2000, 7:55:19 PM12/12/00
Cav Scouts are taught to "look before leaping" too...

...at least the ones I knew.

One Five II Field Force

Dec 12, 2000, 8:49:12 PM12/12/00
In article <20001210014217...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,
suav...@aol.com (Suave Nyc1) wrote:
> . . . .

Most members of the all-volunteer armed forces are nominally
members of religions that are "anti-choice" and cannot
be trusted under arms for a "pro-choice" nation.
They should be registered as conscientious objectors.

Problem solved?

--
Harry Miller 312-787-0565
150 West Maple St., Apt. 513

Tom Huxton

Dec 14, 2000, 11:53:22 AM12/14/00
Red,

Are you picking on Aaron again?

At least he is practicing what he preaches------ He's striving for a well
rounded mediocrity.

Thomas
404 in '04

"redc1c4" <red...@drunkenbastards.org.ies> wrote in message

Suave Nyc1

Dec 19, 2000, 1:50:49 AM12/19/00
>Every day, Evil people are born. Some of them get into positions
>of GREAT power.
>
>Prudent people raise and support armies (even in peacetime) not only
>to protect themselves from these evil people...but to DETER the evil
>people from even trying their bullshit in the first place.

>If France, Britain had Poland all had suitably sized armies,
>Hitler would be nothing more than an obscure name in German
>history books.

Your wrong.
WW2 was fought because of Hitler's rise to power. Hitler rose to power in
Germany because of the way Germnay got screwed In WW1. WW1 was fought for many
reasons such as national aliances and animosoty between France and Germany
dating back to the Franco-Prussian war.
WW2 could have been avoided if Germany was rehabilitated after WW1. But the
allies left a poor, angry Germany in depression. That is why the German people
put so much faith into Hitler who talked about how Germany was great and his
third reich.
Fortunatley the US has learned from history and helped the Germans and the
Japanese get back on thier feet after WW2. and the same thing after the Persian
Gulf. this is what the US should be about. Helping other countries around the
world, eliminating poverty and hunger, and promoting peace. Not wasting money
in defense to fight the"evil people".
Tyrants rise up in times of poverty and recesion in a country. Instead of
worrying about Tryrants we should worry about eliminating poverty around the
world and setting an example to other waring nations that we want to live in
peace.

DeathBunny

Dec 19, 2000, 7:55:14 AM12/19/00

> >Every day, Evil people are born. Some of them get into positions
> >of GREAT power.
> >
> >Prudent people raise and support armies (even in peacetime) not only
> >to protect themselves from these evil people...but to DETER the evil
> >people from even trying their bullshit in the first place.
>

> >If France, Britain had Poland all had suitably sized armies,
> >Hitler would be nothing more than an obscure name in German
> >history books.
>
> Your wrong.
> WW2 was fought because of Hitler's rise to power. Hitler rose to power in
> Germany because of the way Germnay got screwed In WW1. WW1 was fought for
many
> reasons such as national aliances and animosoty between France and Germany
> dating back to the Franco-Prussian war.

Even earlier...like Napoleanic times or further. The Germans, until they
unified, were always being invaded by someone...

> WW2 could have been avoided if Germany was rehabilitated after WW1. But
the
> allies left a poor, angry Germany in depression. That is why the German
people
> put so much faith into Hitler who talked about how Germany was great and
his
> third reich.

That and Adolph Hitler produced. He turned his country around. His methods
were evil, but mostly effective. These included "annexing" large portions
of or the complete area of neighboring countries like Czechoslavakia,
Austria, Alsace-Lorraine (spelling?), Denmark etc. BEFORE militarily
invading other countries.

You also have to remember that the Allies themselves were "on their last
legs" (except the US) at the end of WWI and probably couldn't afford the
money or manpower to help, even had they wanted to. The US, though an ally,
would've been seen as sort of an invader if they had, without the others,
gone into Germany to help. Also, though DEFEATED, the Germans were never
OCCUPIED, and the supplies or money given may have been instead employed for
military or para-military purposes.

> Fortunatley the US has learned from history and helped the Germans and the
> Japanese get back on thier feet after WW2. and the same thing after the
Persian
> Gulf. this is what the US should be about. Helping other countries around
the
> world, eliminating poverty and hunger, and promoting peace. Not wasting
money
> in defense to fight the"evil people".

Then, by going into, peacably of course, China and eliminating poverty and
hunger...

I think the Chinese would have something to say about that. Any INVOLUNTARY
influence by us on their people would be interpreted as an act of war. You
see, it challenges their national soveriegnty. It threatens them.

Germany and Japan AT THE END OF WW2 were different. There was no effective
government. The violent ones that had been there were standing trial for
war crimes. We, the Allies, were responsible for them until we could allow
them to form a more...conservative...government.

AND, the only way we got to that point was "handing them their ass on a
plate", militarily.

There are "evil people".

Evil people, when given the oppurtunity to take advantage of someone, do.

Not being able to control them only sets us up to be controlled.

> Tyrants rise up in times of poverty and recesion in a country. Instead of
> worrying about Tryrants we should worry about eliminating poverty around
the
> world and setting an example to other waring nations that we want to live
in
> peace.

Tyrants "rise up" when they have the opportunity. Poverty and recession are
merely catalysts for a rapid rise or change.

You also have to look at the reasons for the poverty...

We do set an example for warring nations. We fight when its necessary to
defend ourselves or our national interests. We avoid fighting whenever it's
possible and instead, push for diplomatic solutions. Only when a) they
won't negotiate and b) the behavior can't be allowed to continue is military
force used.

Military force merely gives the diplomats another, worst case, option.

Jocamryn

Dec 24, 2000, 11:59:09 PM12/24/00
Hey you freakin' liberal beatnik. Let me guess, you're one of those west
coast "educated" liberals? Yougo to berkeley or SoCaL?
The truth is that no matter how much we want peace there will always be a need
for a military, example, Amin, Aidid, noriega, Saddam, Melosevik, and our new
hero, assholeman bin Laden. Yes, I've been into harm's way, but you know
what, all of these peace keeping missions are all about you civilian's
"Ideals", and you know what, great, I'll do what I'm told, but I'll tell you
what, our mission is to pull the trigger, to support the policies of people,
that YOU voted for. Oh, and your subject, really is ignorant. Let's just send
everybody home, vacate our posts in Kuwait, The Sainai, Bosnia Kosove...etc.
Really, you just don't know how important we really are, but that's ok. I'm
here to make sure that you can live in bliss, in you antiseptic world.

V-Man

Dec 25, 2000, 2:25:21 AM12/25/00
The following is not a flame. If it were a flame, you'd have been told,
several times, to go F*** yourself in direct language.

Jocamryn Wrote:
>Hey you freakin' liberal beatnik. Let me guess, you're one of those west
>coast "educated" liberals? Yougo to berkeley or SoCaL?

OK - you must be new to USENET. First, if you were to actually quote who you
were replying to, others could join in and add to your comments or argue
against them.

Second, have you ever heard of a troll? there are several on this group.
Also, are you sure the troll you were replying to is even ON this group? Other
providers allow crossposting, where multiple groups all get the VERY SAME
message, regardless of topicality.

Third, being a liberal is NOT a crime. Harry S Truman, the man that
integrated the armed services, was a Democrat. So, unless you are so much of a
conservative that you look back fondly to the days of black lynchings, you
might tone things down a little. Liberalism is what saves us from Fascism.

Fourth, you get more flies with honey. It actually might be that there are
people that do not understand basic geo-politics or political science,
therefore, instead of alienating them with a knee-jerk, red-neck reply that is
rather insulting, you might ask this person a few questions. That will serve
two purposes -
First and most important - it'll sort the trolls from the ill-informed.
that prevents you from looking stupid by carrying on a debate with a troll.
Then, by seeing the answers, and determining that you *aren't* dealing with
a troll, you learn what this person needs to know.

If you insult somebody and therefore insult his beliefs, he's never going to
see your point of view.

Finally, I am sending a very informative item on trolls for you to review. I
strongly recommend you look it over whenever somebody posts something with such
a provacative subject line. *That* should have been your first clue.
The following document was written by experienced trolls for the benefit of
newbies.

Troll FAQ...

Contents:
~~~~~~~~~

Introduction

Section 1: What is a troll?
Section 2: Design Issues
Section 3: Content
Section 4: Newsgroup Selection
Section 5: Know Your Audience
Section 6: Following-Up
Section 7: The Successful Troll
Section 8: Troll RFC

INTRODUCTION
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The object of this post is to bring together a definitive document to cover the
phenomena of the Usenet Troll. To many a troll is nothing
more than an annoying method of defeating the killfile whereas to the heavily
killfiled, trolling can be a virtual Godsend.

What I want this document to focus on is how to create entertaining trolls. I
have drawn on the expertise of the writer's of some of
Usenet's finest and best remembered trolls. Trolls are for fun. The object of
recreational trolling is to sit back and laugh at all those
gullible idiots that will believe *anything*.

Section 1: What Is A Troll?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The WWW gives this as a definition:

troll v.,n.

To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses
or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies"; which in turn
comes from mainstream "trolling";, a style of fishing in which one trails bait
through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post
that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more
clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and
experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the
joke, you get to be in on it.

The following extract is from a broader expansion of the defining comments
given above:

In Usenet usage, a "troll" is not a grumpy monster that lives beneath a
bridge accosting passers-by, but rather a provocative posting to a newsgroup
intended to produce a large volume of frivolous responses.

The content of a "troll" posting generally falls into several areas. It
may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a
deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup, or a broad request
for trivial follow-up postings.

There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:

People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups, and simply
to make trouble.

Career trollers tend for the latter two whilst the former is the mark of the
clueless newbie and should be ignored.

Section 2: Design Issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A troll is no different to any other Usenet posting. That needs to be stressed.
Any article that you decide to write should be written with a view to it
actually being read by large numbers of people. Simply X-posting to large
numbers of irrelevant newsgroups is not creative trolling - it is just spam and
should be avoided.

The experienced troller spends time carefully choosing the right subject and
delivering it to the right newsgroup. With trolls, delivery is just as
important as the subject.

Start the troll in a reasonable and erudite manner. You have to engage your
readers' interest and draw them in. Never give too much away at the start -
although a brief abstract with hints of what's to come can
work wonders.

Construct your troll in a manner to make it readable. Use short paragraphs and
lots of white space. Keep line length below eighty characters. Use a liberal
amount of emphasis and even the occasional illustration. A good rule of thumb
is that as your troll becomes more and more ludicrous put extra effort into the
presentation - this keeps the mug punter confused. Let confusion and chaos be
your goal!

Section 3 Content
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Make your subject a relevant one. Posting "Star Trek Sucks" into hk.forsale is
not going to work very well and is liable to utterly destroy your hard earned
reputation as a troller overnight.

You do not have to make the subject clear. Trolls are aimed at two audiences,
the respondees and the lurkers. The best trolls reveal their true subject only
to the lurkers. In every sense those who reply to your troll are your tools. So
choose a theme for your troll and stick to it.

Outwardly you need to appear sincere, but at the same time you have to tell
your *real* audience that this is blatant flamebait. Your skill is shown in the
easy way that you manipulate large areas of the Usenet
community into making public fools of themselves.

Section 4 Newsgroup Selection
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice of newsgroup is as important as the subject, tone and structure of the
troll. You want to appeal to each group you X-post into to ensure responses
from each group. A well delivered troll will anticipate what those responses
will be and thus ensure that
contradictions will arise amongst the different groups that you are setting up.

BAD:

Posting "USA Sucks" to alt.nuke.the.USA, alt.usa-sucks, aus.flame.usa

This is totally on-topic and obvious. A truly useless troll.

AVERAGE:

Posting "God Doesn't Exist" to all the alt.religon newsgroups

Here you are being too obvious. People recognize this sort of trouble
making and have usually learned not to respond to it. However, if your troll is
well written you can actually entrap a lot of newbies. This, if executed
correctly, can be exploited to cause great offence to those more experienced
troll avoiders on the groups you are attacking. Go for it!

GOOD:

Posting an article that appears relevant to every group but with no
connection between those groups other than the fact that you've just trolled
them.

The best trolls go out to an average of around eight or nine newsgroups. This
will stop them from becoming spam as it's not quite enough to be a real
problem. However, to get by on so few groups you have to include a couple of
popular ones in the list.

When posting to say seven groups you should try to break down your theme into
seven areas - each of which will be of specific interest to just one of those
groups. You then write an eight paragraph troll with
a paragraph for each group and a spare one for yourself with which to lob in a
gratuitous insult to everyone who was dumb enough to read your troll.

It is a matter of choice whether you choose newsgroups before or after writing
the troll. Some experts claim that newsgroup selection is the key to successful
trolling and should be done first, others will write general trolls and then
apply the standard Perl script that trollers use for Automatic Random Newsgroup
Selection. (I think this script is
available on the web but I haven't yet got the URL - sorry)

Section 5 Know Your Audience
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember that you have two audiences. The people who are going to get the
maximum enjoyment out of your post are other trollers. You need to keep in
contact with them through both your troll itself and the way you direct its
effect. It is trollers that you are trying to entertain so be creative -
trollers don't just want a laugh from you they want to see good trolls so that
they can also learn how to improve their own in the never ending search for the
perfect troll.

The other audience is of course the little people in those newsgroups that your
are attacking. Get to know them. Every newsgroup has its smartarse who will
expose your troll if given half a chance. Research
your targets and learn what their arguments are. Then avoid those arguments
like the plague. Drag them off-topic - the further off-topic the better.
Remember, you are trying to waste their time. Never take sides - remember that
your goal is not to win an arguement, rather it is to provoke a futile one that
runs forever.

If, for example you were attacking Fast Food then you should also X-post to
Healthy Eating groups, Environmental Protection Groups,
Animal Rights Groups etc....You want to try to ensure that you have the
broadest possible range of opinions as this is the easiest way to sow
confusion. The more confusion the less the likelihood of your troll being
exposed for what it is.

It can also be shown that the inclusion of just one totally off-topic newsgroup
can have dramatic effects. The list above is taken from a genuine troll which
also included an Artificial Intelligence group, the result of which was to draw
Computer Guru Professor Marvin Minsky into a flamewar concerning Ronald
McDonald's exploitation of the disabled - an all-time classic piece of trolling
- written by a practicing veggie.

Section 6 Following-Up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Even if this is true......"

That represents the perfect response to any troll. The mark of a gullible
lunatic that will almost certainly believe anything you tell her (women always
make the best trollees as they have a logical reasoning capacity of zilch). A
total group embarrassment. Award yourself a Troll Gold Star every time you get
one!

Other good responses include, but are not limited to....

"Although this is on-topic....."

"I disagree...."

"Yes, but....."

"Can you provide a source for this...."

Try not to follow-up to your own troll. The troll itself quickly becomes
forgotten in the chaos and if you just sit back you can avoid being blamed for
causing it. Remember, if you do follow up you are talking to an idiot. Treat
them with the ill-respect they deserve.

You should also learn to recognize follow-ups from your fellow trollers.
Sometimes an average troll can be elevated into majestic
proportions when several trollers spontaneously join forces via the medium of
the follow up troll.

Ignore cries of wasted bandwidth! This is pure drivel that will always be
posted by the anti-troll lobby. These jerks fail to understand that trolls are
the best way to drive people off the internet thus making available multi-mbs
for the rest of us to download our porn.

Section 7 The Successful Troll
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good example of troll success is the famous "Oh How I Envy American Students"
troll. This troll was written by an English brick-layer posing as an American
student. He correctly posted it to all the college news- groups and then left
American students to do all the work spreading it.

His troll ran for over a year, it is known to have generated in excess of 3,500
the greatest coup of all was when an innocent American student lost not only
her internet account but was also expelled from high school for abuse of the
computer systems. Somehow she had managed to get the blame for causing the
troll.

Section 8 Troll RFC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Applications are requested for a standard API to the existing troller's tool
the "Automatic Random X-Post Generator" - now in pre-release beta.

Experienced trollers and recovered trollees are invited to submit items for
inclusion in this FAQ.

Mirror sites are required for the soon to open Troll WWW Site! Please send in
your favourite trolls. (min 500 verifiable follow-ups).

Suggestions are welcome for an appropriate newsgroup to post the winning troll
into after each Troll of the Month title is awarded.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Trolls are typically measured by the TrollOMatic or Trollmeter - thus:

TROLL-O-MATIC

__________________________________
| | | | | | | | | | |
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |10 |
|__ |_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|_ _|___|
_
/|\

V-Man A Knight is sworn to Valor, His Heart knows only Virtue
=/\= His Blade defends the Weak, His Word speaks only Truth
(-o-) His Wrath undoes the Wicked
<*>

Agincourt

Jan 12, 2001, 12:59:23 PM1/12/01
Hi V-Troll,

"V-Man" <velo...@aol.com.CanDo> wrote in message

Would you kindly stop spamming your job description to uma.

Many thanks,

--
Best wishes, Ace

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.