Sweet Memories Today

Oct 7, 2009, 11:47:07 PM10/7/09
to UnschoolingDiscussion
Karl and I went to visit some new friends of ours today and it was a great time.  It was three mothers with at least one child each; one of us had two (not me.  I just have Karl.).  Just as we were about to go on our way, the three of us moms were recounting how that when we were small we all remember at least one person in our lives who willingly ---- eagerly gave us things that we admired.  My memory was about my grandmother who was always giving me things she knew I liked just because I happened to admire it out loud.  I was just now thinking that those instances did more for me to develop gratitude for what I have (and don't have) than any lesson about manners and things of that nature.  And it was just natural sweet open interactions between people that fostered it.

Sweet things to think on today.  :)

~Katherine

Mme.V

Oct 8, 2009, 7:00:03 AM10/8/09
to UnschoolingDiscussion

"  My memory was about my grandmother who was always giving
> me things she knew I liked just because I happened to admire it out loud.  I
> was just now thinking that those instances did more for me to develop
> gratitude for what I have (and don't have) than any lesson about manners and
> things of that nature".
That is really sweet:)

My son decided to go to work with me for the last two days ( I own a
tattoo studio that was my mom's), he made himself an office and
observed my work the first day all the while chatting with our
customer about his job as a soldier.
Yesterday he showed some of his drawings to a friend of mine and
discussed flash animation with my apprentice it brought me the warm
fuzzies remembering my own fun hanging out in the studio with my mom
and all the customers as a child and observing how his office and
shtick are different than mine was due to technology and the
customization of the craft.

I'm glad that we get these sweet moments that keep us going in life.
~Charissa

di2...@comcast.net

Oct 9, 2009, 7:21:59 PM10/9/09
to unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Katherine,

Thanks for sharing this story.  It's such a great reminder that personal interactions rather than formal classes are the key to training our children.  What a concept!

Diana

Sandra Dodd

Oct 10, 2009, 10:03:32 AM10/10/09
to unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
-=-Thanks for sharing this story. It's such a great reminder that
personal interactions rather than formal classes are the key to
training our children. What a concept! -=-

Personal interactions are wonderful for learning.
I never wanted to "train my children."
The idea of "training your children" can prevent unschooling from
blossoming.

Sandra

di2...@comcast.net

Oct 10, 2009, 2:23:59 PM10/10/09
to unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Sandra,

I'm with ya.  When I say training, I really mean fostering learning.  Just a matter of semantics.
Thanks,
Diana

Joyce Fetteroll

Oct 11, 2009, 8:46:50 AM10/11/09

On Oct 10, 2009, at 2:23 PM, di2...@comcast.net wrote:

When I say training, I really mean fostering learning.  Just a matter of semantics.

It's actually way more than a matter of semantics. The precision of word use is actually hugely useful to unschooling and helpful to the list.

Using one word to encompass two or more concepts puts them all in the same box together. Their similarities get emphasized rather than their differences. It makes it hard harder to see why praise and discipline and lots of dog training concepts won't work with child "training".

But if a different word is used, their differences are emphasized. That will help people still working on understanding unschooling, grasp that we're talking about something very different than what happens in school (or dog training academies!) It's easier to see why discipline doesn't go with free learning.

Also, on a list, all we have are words to convey meaning. In face to face conversations with friends we can be more vague in our word choice. We have body language and inflection to help our meaning. We often have shared experience and perhaps culture. On a list that's going out to people all over the world, as they're trying to understand something foreign, guessing what someone was trying to convey with imprecise words won't be a good strategy.

The clearer the wording, the clearer someone will be able to think about something.

Joyce

Sandra Dodd

Oct 11, 2009, 11:13:50 AM10/11/09
to unschoolin...@googlegroups.com
Being Mindful of Words

Part of that page:

If people can come to understand why it matters whether they use "teach" or "learn," they can start to get other subtleties and REALLY start thinking their own thoughts, consciously and mindfully.

Saying what one means rather than using phrases without thinking is very, very important.

Hearing what I say as a mom is crucial to mindfulness.

If I don't notice what I say, if I don't even hear myself, how can I expect my kids to hear me?
If I say things without having carefully chosen each word, am I really communicating?

People don't "have to" be careful of their words here.  It would be good for the list, for the writer, and for the writer's children, though, for each person who writes here to think about unschooling as clearly and carefully as possible when posting (and, ideally, all the rest of the time too!).

Sandra