fastvoip.com

Stephen Hammond

May 16, 2011, 1:11:06 PM5/16/11
Anyone tried this for making cheap phonecalls they appear to have an 0800
number and free calls to uk numbers for 3 months when you deposit £10. No
need to use a computer other than to sign up

Stephen

Stephen Hammond

May 16, 2011, 1:13:10 PM5/16/11

Stephen Hammond

May 16, 2011, 1:13:25 PM5/16/11

Bob Eager

May 16, 2011, 1:57:20 PM5/16/11

No. They get this bloke called Hammond spamming for them.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Graham.

May 16, 2011, 2:56:21 PM5/16/11

"Stephen Hammond" <som...@imco.com> wrote in message news:9O2dnQzfT-g3x0zQ...@brightview.co.uk...

> Anyone tried this for making cheap phonecalls they appear to have an 0800 number and free calls to uk numbers for 3 months when
> you deposit £10. No need to use a computer other than to sign up
>
> Stephen

Interesting this.
I spy a Betamax clone, 'Tulp Solutions' yet another trading name.
http://backsla.sh/betamax includes it, but
http://progx.ch/home-voip-prixbetamax-3-1-1.html does not

3.3p/m to a UK mobile is better than I currently get from Smartvoip

so I will switch providing I can use PayPal, it's not giving me that option,
even though it says it is offered here http://www.fastvoip.com/en/payment

Although I am used to navigating Betamax sites, I cannot find details
of their FUP regarding the "free" calls.

This
http://freevcalls.blogspot.com/2011/04/fastvoip-offers-free-calls-to-india.html
suggests it's the usual 90 "freedays"

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Steve Terry

May 16, 2011, 6:09:26 PM5/16/11
Blimey! That's useful for Giffgaff's free 0800

I hope payment by paypal is available, i wouldn't trust any other method

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Brian A

May 16, 2011, 6:55:46 PM5/16/11

Their reseller site specifically states that it is NOT a Betamax company,
together with a rather cheeky comment.
QUOTE
Are you affiliated to Betamax/Dellmont?
No. We believe in a stable service with good customer support.
UNQUOTE
No indication as to how many free minutes are available during the free
period.

Graham.

May 16, 2011, 7:12:30 PM5/16/11

"Steve Terry" <gfou...@tesco.net> wrote in message news:iqs7ao$4fd$1...@dont-email.me...

Do you need credit in your GiffGaff account in order to make free 0800/0500/0808
calls?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.

May 16, 2011, 7:52:53 PM5/16/11

"Brian A" <no_spam...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:SXhAp.4108$8A7....@newsfe12.ams2...

sip.fastvoip.com resolves to a different address than the Betamax domains,
(but it's interesting that it's in the form SIP DOT etc.)

Also the username database is common to the Betamax brands, by that
I mean if you register wibble on smartvoip and try to register the same name
on smslisto it won't let you.

Fastvoip does appears to have a separate username database,
it also requires at least 6 characters in the password, the others require fewer, four I think.

No mention of Ferrania when you run the softphone installer,
in fact, some of the DLLs are by Nokia.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Stephen Hammond

May 17, 2011, 1:05:51 PM5/17/11

"Graham." wrote in message news:iqsb22$poa$1...@dont-email.me...

--
Graham.

No but you need to top every 3 months apparently :)

Stephen Hammond

May 18, 2011, 12:54:37 PM5/18/11

Come on someone must have tried it :(

I'm not too keen after I wasted my money on on lycratalk or whatever it is
2p per minute for 0800 access not 1p Mr Terry.

Steve Terry

May 20, 2011, 5:04:04 PM5/20/11
Stephen Hammond wrote:
> "Graham." wrote in message news:iqsb22$poa$1...@dont-email.me...
>
> "Steve Terry" <gfou...@tesco.net> wrote in message
>> Stephen Hammond wrote:
<snip>

> Do you need credit in your GiffGaff account in order to make free
> 0800/0500/0808
> calls?

Nope, nor additional top ups

Steve Terry

May 20, 2011, 5:09:43 PM5/20/11
2p per min to call landlines from a GiffGaff mobile a waste of your money!!

I'm soooo... Sorry

and the callthrough is called lycatalk
http://www.lycatalk.co.uk/

and yes they charge 1p per min extra for calling through their 0800

Soruk

May 21, 2011, 7:36:39 AM5/21/11

I also can't find any indication of how much the free destinations are after
the free days expire.

International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/

Theo Markettos

May 21, 2011, 4:53:33 PM5/21/11
In uk.telecom.voip Steve Terry <gfou...@tesco.net> wrote:
> Blimey! That's useful for Giffgaff's free 0800
>
> I hope payment by paypal is available, i wouldn't trust any other method

No Paypal, but things like Moneybookers, cashU and UKash. I think some of
those vouchers can be bought at PayPoint/Zone/etc outlets. Hmm, they claim
Paypal but didn't offer it to me:
http://www.fastvoip.com/en/payment

For a credit card there's 19% VAT plus 36p transaction fee on top (just like
Betamax, but with Netherlands VAT not 15% Luxembourg).

I just made a test call via the 0800 dialthrough to myself: seemed to work
fine and cost nothing. They don't appear to support CLID though (the usual
'number not available').

Registrant:
EasyTel bv
Haarlemmerstraatweg 32
Oegstgeest, ZH 2343 LB
NL

Domain Name: FASTVOIP.COM

Registrant:
Easytel bv
Apollolaan 138
Amsterdam 1077 BG
NL

Domain Name: TULPSOLUTIONS.COM
(also registered there belkaart.be)

Theo

Graham.

May 21, 2011, 10:08:27 PM5/21/11

"Theo Markettos" <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message news:9Oh*tM...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...

Some of the "resellers" offer PayPal, there is a default selection of several
resellers depending on the country you choose to be in when signing up.
There is nothing at all to indicate that those resellers have any connection with that country.
quite the contrary in fact. You can choose resellers from other countries other than the default ones.
As an example ckvoip13 has no merit stars and is the last on the default list for UK
His website is down, but he has a standby one, a webs.com one which somehow does not
fill me with confidence.

Assuming the system is a viable one and not a complete scam, it must
be manual because you have to type your username and voip brand in to fields longhand.
All the Betamax brand icons are there, and fastvoip all by itself.

I made up a username and put voipfuck as the provider and off I was whisked to the Paypal
site to pay 11.80 euros 10.55GBP
Incidentally this WAS the genuine Paypal site, it was not a phishing expedition, that was
my first thought.

I'm not sure they would have credited voipfuck if I had finished the transaction.
(Of course I didn't).

I can't get my head round why Fastvoip would encourage buyers to buy a voucher
from a third party whilst on the fastvoip site, can someone explain the concept?
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Theo Markettos

May 24, 2011, 1:27:24 PM5/24/11
In uk.telecom.voip Theo Markettos <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I just made a test call via the 0800 dialthrough to myself: seemed to work
> fine and cost nothing. They don't appear to support CLID though (the usual
> 'number not available').

I called some African destinations via the 0800 callthrough. One call
worked fine, with reasonable audio quality. Another call wasn't answered
(because my contact wasn't there) and eventually ended up at a message in
Dutch that I couldn't understand. Another call had what felt a bit like
YouTube buffering problems... I was getting bursts of audio spaced by
silences. I also was having trouble with Skype to the same person, so it
could have been Fastvoip were terminating VOIP in-country and the
international internet link was struggling.

So not an unqualified success, but moderately positive. Africa is a pretty
difficult target for VOIP and quality problems are fairly usual. Quality
was not as good as Betamax on this trial, but we'll see how it goes...

Theo

Theo Markettos

Jun 6, 2011, 4:33:15 PM6/6/11
In uk.telecom.voip Theo Markettos <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Another call had what felt a bit like YouTube buffering problems... I was
> getting bursts of audio spaced by silences. I also was having trouble
> with Skype to the same person, so it could have been Fastvoip were
> terminating VOIP in-country and the international internet link was
> struggling.

I'm now having severe problems with the 0800 callthrough. It either refuses
to connect, or gives me stuttery background noise (like the VOIP codec is
bandwidth limited), but the 'please enter your account number' message isn't
played. Tried with both a mobile (yesterday and today) and a landline just
now, so it's not my end.

I haven't tried them for VOIP so I don't know if this affects that service,
but for callthrough it's unusable.

Theo