Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G?GPRS

mekki100

Sep 22, 2006, 5:50:00 AM9/22/06
Have decided to use the mobile connect supplied with my Comet Laptop
in December 2005 because of changed circumstances. I lost the original
installation disk and Vodafone of Exeter supplied me with a software
upgrade disc which I thought would solve the installation problem I was
having.......( I got to the creating a profile section, selected the
correct options but error message saying " driver failed to load"
appeared.). A computer shop man has tried to help obtaining the driver
(s) and called Vodafone but alas ( surprise surprise ) was told its all
on the web site.
Neither of us can find them.
Can anyone point us to the drivers?
thanks
Mick

Sam

Sep 22, 2006, 5:55:54 AM9/22/06
On 22 Sep 2006 02:50:00 -0700, "mekki100" <mekk...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

http://www.business.vodafone.com/

Sam.

MinervaUK

Sep 26, 2006, 11:28:30 AM9/26/06

It's important to un-install the software disk you had provided to you
in Exeter through Add / Remove hardware. If you still have problems
after installing version 7.00 from the below link I'd recommend going
to www.vodafone.co.uk, selecting 'contact us' then 'email'. If you
include the code FIT135 in your email this will route your query
through to somebody who will be able to help you. I'd also recommend
including the following details:

- Account number of your PAYU data card
- Make and model of lap-top you're using
- Operating system your lap-top is using

Mobile Connect V7.00 -

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.telecom.mobile/browse_thread/thread/f55a45a3a1777efd/9e1181c2b078fe8b?hl=en#9e1181c2b078fe8b

mekki100

Oct 2, 2006, 5:25:04 AM10/2/06
Thanks for help I now have Vodafone mobile connect installed and
running.
I knew it would be a little dear on its PAYU tariff buts needs
must..........BUT
I literally surfed for about three hours on Saturday and found that it
had used 12mb roughly of download. I had enquired of Vodafone salesman
" how much download would occur if I just surfed, emailed and
messengered for a couple of hours a night.?" His reply was I do that
and use about 90mb per month. Simple maths tell me that I would be
using 360 mb ( approx ) . So my idea of going for the monthly 250mb is
not warranted.
And the annoying thing is that most of that time on Saturday was on the
Vodafone web site trying to sort out user names, unlocking child care
control, and trying to get msn messenger to load.
I have tried omitting images from the download, but that failed to
operate.
Trying to log in to Vodafone accounts meant trying to learn the
Vodafone way of thinking
I know its me but have been using computers for ten years the internet
for maybe eight, and do find this service is not user friendly.
My question now is,,,,,,is there a forum to help learn to use? Not
everything is intuitive and because of that and the costs I am
reluctant to carry on much further
Mick
Message has been deleted

mekki100

Oct 5, 2006, 5:55:11 AM10/5/06
Yes I am still frustrated with Mobile Connect. Emails to Voda go
unanswered, there's quite a few for sale on ebay ( why?) the "usage"
graph rises alarmingly, I have looked through the web site and cant
find the cost of downloads, it does show whats been downloaded but
where is the cost Vodafone?
Giving up very soon. Do Vodafone look at these newsgroups in a helpful
manner and respond on here, cos they dont respond to emails.
Mick
Peter wrote:
> "mekki100" <mekk...@hotmail.com> wrote

> >And the annoying thing is that most of that time on Saturday was on the
> >Vodafone web site trying to sort out user names, unlocking child care
> >control, and trying to get msn messenger to load.
> >I have tried omitting images from the download, but that failed to
> >operate.
> >Trying to log in to Vodafone accounts meant trying to learn the
> >Vodafone way of thinking
> >I know its me but have been using computers for ten years the internet
> >for maybe eight, and do find this service is not user friendly.
>
> You presumably discovered that accessing the Voda website over GPRS/3G
> costs a few quid just to get anything done (like topping up your SIM
> card with another 50 quid).
>
> Voda are either very stupid (not offering a more efficient website for
> mobile users) or very mean.

Message has been deleted

MinervaUK

Oct 9, 2006, 6:30:02 AM10/9/06
Hi mekki100,

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your high usage
charges on pay as you use and the difficulties you've had getting a
reply from customer services. I work for Vodafone and might be able to
help.

The Vodafone Pay As You Use tariff is charged at £2.35 per MB. Very
much like pay as you talk, PAYU can be more of a 'tester' for you to
gage what your usage would be in the first couple of months. It's
always possible at any time to switch up to a 'pay monthly' bundle.
Vodafone offer the following:

- Vodafone Data 250 - This package comes at a monthly cost of £29.38
(inc VAT) and allows 250MB download a month (should you use all of this
is out of bundle cost would be £1.18 per MB (inc VAT).
- Vodafone Unlimited - This package comes at a monthly cost of £53.00
(inc VAT) and allows 1 GB usage per month.

It would be possible for you to change to one of the above so you'd
have an inclusive bundle to cover your usage every month, rather than
paying £2.35 per MB.

I'm concerned to hear of the high usage you're encountering. A common
problem on a laptop using a data card would be if you have such
programmes as Windows Live Update or any Virus Updates running in the
background. Because these tools may be set to run and check
automatically for new information they can use up a great deal of data
outside of your web and email browsing. I'd suggest that when the data
card is in place it would be an idea to disable any live update
facilities.

If you still have any problems it would be possible to get in touch
with Vodafone email customer services. I'm sorry that you've had no
reply before now, however if you leave the shortcode FIT135 in the body
of your email this will make sure a member of our email team will pick
it up.

Finally, just to clear up any confusion that may have been caused
between PAYT (Pay As You Talk) and PAYU (Pay As You Use). On a data
card these are two seperate packages:

PAYU - A direct debit needs to be set up on an account. Once in place
this will bill you per MB at £2.35 a time for your usage. You then get
a monthly invoice from Vodafone. Despite being set up similar to a
normal Vodafone account there would be no line rental charges, just
usage.

PAYT - A pay as you talk data card works very much in the same way as a
PAYT handset. You top up your credit when you need to and will be
charged per megabyte. On a provisioned data PAYT SIM this would be
£3.07 per MB in the UK and £9.08 per MB whilst roaming.

Peter,

The £7.50 charge for data on PAYT would be for a normal voice SIM when
used a mobile phone. A PAYT SIM sold with a PAYT Mobile Connect card is
set up differently (it accesses the internet through a different APN
gateway) hence this would only be charged at £3.07 per MB.

I hope this helps, any questions please let me know.

Peter wrote:

> "mekki100" <mekk...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes I am still frustrated with Mobile Connect. Emails to Voda go
> >unanswered, there's quite a few for sale on ebay ( why?) the "usage"
> >graph rises alarmingly, I have looked through the web site and cant
> >find the cost of downloads, it does show whats been downloaded but
> >where is the cost Vodafone?
> >Giving up very soon. Do Vodafone look at these newsgroups in a helpful
> >manner and respond on here, cos they dont respond to emails.
>

> I have measured the Voda GPRS charges (a smartstep SIM card) at
> £3.00/MB which bears no relation to their published price of £7.50/MB.
> Not that I am complaining.

Message has been deleted