Tiscali - no email contact !

mark

Nov 7, 2005, 7:54:04 PM11/7/05
I was about to sign up for TISCALI broadband, but something has really put
me off. They don't appear to have any way of contacting the sales staff via
email !
Not a single email address, just a phone number. That makes me think they
don't want to be held to anything in writing.
If an ISP can't give a contact email address they are not worth bothering
with.

Flying Rat

Nov 7, 2005, 9:11:43 PM11/7/05
In article <MGSbf.5715$f_5....@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net>, mark says...
www.adslguide.org.uk

There are many ISPs who can do a much better job than Tosscali. Go there
and compare them, and you'll see just how dreadful Tiscali are.

FR

Karl

Nov 8, 2005, 3:07:57 AM11/8/05

Keep away from Tiscali.

Kraftee

Nov 8, 2005, 5:03:52 AM11/8/05

Plusnet aren't :-(

Karl

Nov 8, 2005, 5:05:41 AM11/8/05

I give in. Aren't what?

Gizmo

Nov 8, 2005, 5:40:29 AM11/8/05

"mark" <ma...@mmc.biz.org> wrote in message

Think of it as fate dealing you a second chance.

;o)

Karl

Nov 8, 2005, 5:56:34 AM11/8/05

lol

Brian

Nov 8, 2005, 7:52:22 AM11/8/05

"mark" <ma...@mmc.biz.org> wrote in message
Neither does Virgin.net or Plusnet

Brian

nall...@hotmail.com

Nov 8, 2005, 9:54:43 AM11/8/05
I made the god awful mistake of signing up with Tiscali, but luckily
after a very annoying process of trying to install the software it
turns out I couldn't recieve broadband trhough my BT line so managed to
cancel my 12months subscription....... While trying to discover what
was wrong with my broadband, I can only describe the whole experience
as a nightmare.... STAY WELL AWAY FROM TISCALI ....

PS They have even billed me for a months internet usage, which I
haven't paid but I'm still waiting for there answer to my emails to
their billing department asking why I have been billed, and since have
wrote to complain to teh Customer Service manager and still no
reply..... I have no idea if they think I still owe them money or not
and I'm slightly concerned this could affect my credit rating!

Cog

Nov 8, 2005, 8:23:55 PM11/8/05
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 06:54:43 -0800, nalla_cj wrote:

> I made the god awful mistake of signing up with Tiscali, but luckily
> after a very annoying process of trying to install the software it turns
> out I couldn't recieve broadband trhough my BT line so managed to cancel
> my 12months subscription....... While trying to discover what was wrong
> with my broadband, I can only describe the whole experience as a
> nightmare.... STAY WELL AWAY FROM TISCALI ....

I signed up for Tiscali. Here's my experience:

I signed up by phone and the phone operator was a clueless woman with an
Australian accent. She somehow managed to enter my postcode incorrectly,
despite my pronouncing it carefully and asking her to read it back to me.
Best I can tell, it looks like she add an "F" to the beginning -- a typo.
I got the confirmation letter welcoming me to the service, and only found
out about the postcode problem when I went to website to check on the
order status and received the message that there was a problem with the
postcode and telephone number not matching. I called the sales line (0800)
to inform them of the problem (sales, because the order hadn't gone
through because the details were incorrect) and was whined at repeatedly
that I should call the technical support line (national rate). So, I
called the tech-support line and spoke to a very efficient Indian woman
who corrected the problem and everything went ahead.

The modem (thompson speedtouch 330) arrived on schedule, I hooked it up
and was away (Linux system). I'm quite satisfied with the network, and
their fair use policy is indeed *fair*. I've been downloading relentlessly
since I got it and pausing those downloads during peak times... I haven't
heard a word of complaint from them.

That said, I visited the website and checked my details, only to find that
my customer information still had the incorrect "F" postcode. Sigh. I
corrected it myself.

I wouldn't rely on Tiscali if you needed any hand-holding tech-support,
but their network has been fine so far, and £14.99 1meg unlimited is ok (I
upgraded to the £17.99 2meg package).

John DH

Nov 9, 2005, 11:37:10 AM11/9/05
When I first started with Tiscali, everything was fine. A month later a free
upgrade and a lower price, WOW.

This is where it all goes to rats. Speeds at 0900 good, at 12:00 slower
about 1mbps. Tea time, bloody hell, the average is 500kbps. I now often
experience speeds of less than 100kbps during the evenings. I'm not a heavy
download user, about 3 to 4 gigs per month, so no question of my falling
foul of the fair user policy.

The best bit is that I didn't want a price cut, unlimited downloading
(subject to....). etc. I just wanted what I was paying for and that is
2mbps.

I have a record of each days performance which was sent to Tiscali 10 days
ago, no reply as yet (no surprises there) so onwards with the complaints
procedure until I can get them into court, on the telly or better still,
both.

John D

PS It's still my fault for not checking here first.

nall...@hotmail.com

Nov 9, 2005, 11:59:43 AM11/9/05

John DH wrote:

> procedure until I can get them into court, on the telly or better still,
> both.

Maybe all the unhappy Tiscali customers and people who were almost
customers like me, could club together and take the whole lot of the
donkeys to court...... anyone up for chipping in for a good lawyer! (I
would certainly put a few bob towards that cause!!)

Cog

Nov 9, 2005, 12:14:39 PM11/9/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:37:10 +0000, John DH wrote:

> When I first started with Tiscali, everything was fine. A month later a
> free upgrade and a lower price, WOW.

Having posted my message about no warnings... sure enough, I get an email
from Tiscali today warning me that my usage during their peak periods is
"exceptionally high".

Nonsense.

I've been conscientious about knocking off bittorrent during the FUP
periods. I've occasionally done important security upgrades for my Linux
box during peak periods (rare), and on one or two occasions I've watched
NASA TV and listened to the BBC streaming radio.

The fair use warning has really irritated me.

I signed up with Tiscali *because* of the FUP -- which I considered
entirely fair and reasonable. I'm not some inconsiderate sociopathic brat
-- I've been knocking off the downloads because I've no wish to clog up
others' experience with downloads that can wait, not because of any
implied threat in their FUP when I signed up. Now I'm effectively being
told that even the most basic internet use beyond simple web browsing is
ruled out during peak periods.

I have to wonder whether their FUP is worth the "paper" its printed on. My
usage outside of peak hours is very definitely high -- but then, that's
what the FUP says: unlimited outside peak hours.

Well done Tiscali, you've turned someone who was willing to recommend your
service to others into a sceptic. I've emailed them about it (asking among
other things, how much peak bandwidth did I use, when and what do you
consider exceptionally high), but I don't imagine I'll get any sense out
of them. I imagine that their bandwidth usage limit is different for every
exchange -- heavily contended... start warning even moderate peak time
users.

Gizmo

Nov 9, 2005, 3:45:15 PM11/9/05

<nall...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Best save up for a lawyer that can explain contention ratios to you.

Cog

Nov 10, 2005, 8:54:29 AM11/10/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:14:39 +0000, Cog wrote:

> Well done Tiscali, you've turned someone who was willing to recommend
> your service to others into a sceptic. I've emailed them about it
> (asking among other things, how much peak bandwidth did I use, when and
> what do you consider exceptionally high), but I don't imagine I'll get
> any sense out of them. I imagine that their bandwidth usage limit is
> different for every exchange -- heavily contended... start warning even
> moderate peak time users.

Follow up to this:

reply. Quote,

"To avoid any further warnings or the chance of having your service
restricted during peak hours we strongly recommend you adhere to the
following guidelines during the peak hours:

Do not use file sharing or peer to peer software
* Do not download large files, large files are 50Mb to 100Mb+ * Use
the service during these hours for normal Internet use only, e.g.
browsing, emailing etc."

Since I followed all those instructions conscientiously and knocked off
any bittorrent downloads during peak time, and that they state: "Use the
service during these hours for normal Internet use only, e.g. browsing,
emailing etc."

I can only assume that it was the fact that I used streaming Internet
radio during peak time on a *few occasions* (naturally enough since the
programmes I want to listen to are on at that time)... that got me a
warning. Lovely.

This is worth noting for anyone else feeling foolish enough to believe
that Tiscali's FUP is actually fair and reasonable. It prohibits you from
doing anything other than browsing and email during peak time. I also
notice the complete lack of response to my request for a definition of
what "exceptionally high use" during peak time actually means, and how
much I actually used. Just to be absolutely clear about this -- I haven't
done anything during peak hours that could remotely be considered
"exceptionally high use". Outside peak hours, certainly, I've been
downloading like mad. During them... most definitely not.

So there you go. If you plan on doing anything remotely broadband-ish
(like listening to the radio over the internet), forget Tiscali. In fact,
I'd forget them all together based on my experience so far.

John DH

Nov 10, 2005, 9:40:51 AM11/10/05

> Use the service during these hours for normal Internet use only,
e.g.
> browsing, emailing etc."

I which case why the hell would anyone want broadband when dial-up does
email perfectly well.

Someone once said "Tiscali.....dial-up speeds at broadband prices" whoever
said that was spot on.

John D

The Invisible Man

Nov 10, 2005, 10:03:37 AM11/10/05
Regret I cannot agree with that comment. I used to have Tiscali
broadband and it was often less than half the speed of my old dial-up
connection. Absolutely useless. Trying to complete an on-line mortgage
application took all day because of time-outs etc.

Currently very happy with VISPA.

Hugh

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Phil Thompson

Nov 12, 2005, 2:47:04 AM11/12/05
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:12:17 -0000, Vhit <inv...@vhit.co.uk.INVALID>
wrote:

>Fuck the lawyers - why dont we all get together and contact bbc watchdog
>as they are taking money for a service they arnt currently providing .

Watchdog will generate bad publicity and Tiscali wil respond with spin
and platitudes.

A lawyer *might* get you some of your money back.

Phil
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=tiscali

Gizmo

Nov 13, 2005, 6:44:53 PM11/13/05

"Phil Thompson" <phil.t...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:12:17 -0000, Vhit <inv...@vhit.co.uk.INVALID>
> wrote:
>
>>Fuck the lawyers - why dont we all get together and contact bbc watchdog
>>as they are taking money for a service they arnt currently providing .
>
> Watchdog will generate bad publicity and Tiscali wil respond with spin
> and platitudes.
>
> A lawyer *might* get you some of your money back.

Can't see much point in paying a lawyer Ł80+ an hour to fight a piss pot
ISP.
Far cheaper to just move ISPs

David G. Bell

Nov 14, 2005, 5:35:29 AM11/14/05
On Sunday, in article <rq-dne2I_vV...@giganews.com>
Gi...@home.now "Gizmo" wrote:

If your case is simple enough, you don't need a lawyer for the Small
Claims Procedures. But there are clauses in ISP contracts which, as a
result of accumulated precedent, aren't as simple as they look.

And if you do have a good case, you can claim your costs when you win.
But I don't know if anyone has won one of this sort of case.

Making a complaint to the Industry Regulator is also cheap, and probably
useless, but it might bring some slight result as part of an
accumulation of complaints.

"I am Number Two," said Penfold. "You are Number Six."

Carol Fraser

Nov 15, 2005, 5:47:57 PM11/15/05

> >>Fuck the lawyers - why dont we all get together and contact bbc watchdog
> >>as they are taking money for a service they arnt currently providing .

Good idea, I've already filled out a contact form on the BBC's website but
enough people need to complain before they can include it in the programme.
I'm a disenchanted Tiscali user whose connection speed has degraded but
cannot get an answer from the company.

Sandra.

Message has been deleted