Here we go

Weatherlawyer

Apr 20, 2006, 2:51:06 AM4/20/06

Forecast for Britain = mists.

Forecast for either southern N Atlantic or Australian NW Territory =
cyclone(s)

Could be an early start for the hurricane season.

(Or not as the case may be.)

Weatherlawyer

Apr 20, 2006, 3:18:41 AM4/20/06

Weatherlawyer wrote:

> Forecast for Britain = mists.
>
> Forecast for either southern N Atlantic or Australian NW Territory =
> cyclone(s)
>
> Could be an early start for the hurricane season.

There is nothng showing up on the Hawaiian site nor Eric Hablich's yet.
The Wisconsin site is interesting if only that the satellite watching
Monica develop, stalled again:
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/comp/cmoll/cmoll.html

It does seem a precursor to these thing IMO. I have been told that it
isn't. Maybe it's those HAARPies?

Richard Dixon

Apr 20, 2006, 4:19:52 AM4/20/06
"Weatherlawyer" <Weathe...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Forecast for either southern N Atlantic or Australian NW Territory =
> cyclone(s)

Do you mean tropical cyclones are forecast in the next week for Atlantic
basin or just over the summer? I think the latter is standard, as for the
former, where's the incipient system you talk about?

Richard

Weatherlawyer

Apr 20, 2006, 5:31:08 AM4/20/06

Richard Dixon wrote:

No.

I am just referring to an anomally that turned up last year during the
North Atlantic hurricane season. Coastal Western/Northern Europe seemed
to get frosts or fogs when they occurred. Or visa versa. Or rather:
Due to them having the same root cause.

I am guessing that fog in China has a similar anomally seen with
Australian cyclones. (On the Queensland side). It has to be a guess
since China is run by secretive criminals that make George Bush's
regime seem like a pack of monkeys.

(What am I talking about, George Bush's regime is a pack of monkeys.)

A litle off the present topic:
I seem to have a high tech version of the Victorian(?) weather glass.
One of my double glazing units has failed, giving a variety of optical
effects that on one occasion of fine weather cleared up entirely.

Now all I need to do is find out how to read it.

A weather glass is a mixture of camphor, water and alcohol. The state
of the suspension indicates the type of weather, which in Britain,
broadly speaking, means Scandinavian High, Atlantic Low and ridges,
cols or troughs.

The reason I mention it is that it is particularly noticeable when the
weather is a bit like this. Woulnd't you think it more likely to show
up strongly in a downpour such as yesterday or the day prior?

Or perhaps I never looked?

Odd, I just went to look at it again and it seemed to have cleared up
except for a faint patch abot the size of my hand on one side of the
bottom. Doh! It doesn't work after all.

Then I noticed the drizzle.

Natsman

Apr 20, 2006, 6:25:48 AM4/20/06
Coincidentally, I too suffer from one of these "shot" double glazed uints,
in a fixed window immediately below a transom (which is always open). I
have noticed that in colder weather, any condensation is restricted to the
lower area between the panes.
However, as it warms up outside, and particularly once the sun has got
around to that side of the house, misting and condensation seems to be
evident all over the whole area. Pain in the backside.

CK
"Weatherlawyer" <Weathe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris Bacon

Apr 20, 2006, 6:55:34 AM4/20/06
Natsman wrote:
> Coincidentally, I too suffer from one of these "shot" double glazed uints,
> in a fixed window immediately below a transom (which is always open). I
> have noticed that in colder weather, any condensation is restricted to the
> lower area between the panes.
> However, as it warms up outside, and particularly once the sun has got
> around to that side of the house, misting and condensation seems to be
> evident all over the whole area. Pain in the backside.

Replace it, then. That's why you're talking to people
in uk.d-i-y, isn't it? Is it a plastic window, metal,
or timber?

meow...@care2.com

Apr 20, 2006, 7:49:47 AM4/20/06

or drill the glass and dry it

NT

Fray Bentos

Apr 20, 2006, 8:21:05 AM4/20/06

<meow...@care2.com> wrote in message

I have been thinking about this for a while now.
I have a large dg window. about 8ft by 5ft.
Just how easy is it to drill a small hole in the opposing diagonal corners
and let it dry out in sumer then put a small bung of silicon in the holes to
seal again ?

is it do-able ?

am I likely to crack the glass completely and need a new unit ?

I'd rather repair (as it's so big and expensive I guess)

thanks, fray

Guy King

Apr 20, 2006, 10:06:55 AM4/20/06
The message <R0L1g.56346$wl.4...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
from "Fray Bentos" <fr...@bentos.com> contains these words:

> I have been thinking about this for a while now.
> I have a large dg window. about 8ft by 5ft.
> Just how easy is it to drill a small hole in the opposing diagonal corners
> and let it dry out in sumer then put a small bung of silicon in the holes to
> seal again ?

Depends for one thing whether it's toughened or not. If it is, you ain't
a hope of drilling a hole.

--
Skipweasel

Ian Stirling

Apr 20, 2006, 1:35:33 PM4/20/06
In uk.d-i-y Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
> The message <R0L1g.56346$wl.4...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
> from "Fray Bentos" <fr...@bentos.com> contains these words:
>

>> I have been thinking about this for a while now.
>> I have a large dg window. about 8ft by 5ft.
>> Just how easy is it to drill a small hole in the opposing diagonal corners
>> and let it dry out in sumer then put a small bung of silicon in the holes to
>> seal again ?
>
> Depends for one thing whether it's toughened or not. If it is, you ain't
> a hope of drilling a hole.

There is, it's relatively easy, you just first anneal the pane :)
This is pretty tricky - you've got to keep pretty good temperature
control (+-10C IIRC), ramp it up and down slowly, not to mention not
having any dust in there.

But then, think of all the other handy jobs you could find for an
annealing furnace.

Chris Bacon

Apr 20, 2006, 4:40:42 PM4/20/06
Ian Stirling wrote:
> In uk.d-i-y Guy King wrote:
>>The message from "Fray Bentos" contains these words:

>>>I have a large dg window. about 8ft by 5ft.
>>>Just how easy is it to drill a small hole in the opposing diagonal corners
>>>and let it dry out in sumer then put a small bung of silicon in the holes to
>>>seal again ?
>>
>>Depends for one thing whether it's toughened or not. If it is, you ain't
>>a hope of drilling a hole.
>
> There is, it's relatively easy, you just first anneal the pane :)

You can drill toughened glass, you just have to be careful
(and very slow), and use a fine abrasive and rod as ?? ago.

Weatherlawyer

Apr 21, 2006, 2:06:25 AM4/21/06

Weatherlawyer wrote:
> Richard Dixon wrote:
>
> > "Weatherlawyer" <Weathe...@hotmail.com> wrote in
> >
> > > Forecast for either southern N Atlantic or Australian NW Territory =
> > > cyclone(s)
> >
> > Do you mean tropical cyclones are forecast in the next week for Atlantic
> > basin or just over the summer? I think the latter is standard, as for the
> > former, where's the incipient system you talk about?
> >
> No.
>
> I am just referring to an anomally that turned up last year during the
> North Atlantic hurricane season. Coastal Western/Northern Europe seemed
> to get frosts or fogs when they occurred. Or visa versa. Or rather:
> Due to them having the same root cause.

Which engine is alsso responsible for earthquakes.

Sadly I have not been able to push the envelope more open.

Yet.

Here is the most striking geophysical phenomenon that arrived with this
present spell:

6.1 Mag 2006/04/21 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF KORYAKIA, RUSSIA

These first 5.1; 4.9; 4.6; 5.2; 4.5; 4.5; 5.1; 5.1; All in the same
region.

And the day before:
2006/04/20 5.4; and 7.7 Mag KORYAKIA, RUSSIA

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Coincidence?

My opinion is the same value as yours. And of course the weight of
opinion is that it is just a coincidence.

But as with miracles. Timing is everything.

Guy King

Apr 21, 2006, 3:42:51 AM4/21/06
The message <4447f1fb$1...@newsgate.x-privat.org>
from Chris Bacon <chris...@thai.com> contains these words:

> You can drill toughened glass, you just have to be careful
> (and very slow), and use a fine abrasive and rod as ?? ago.

You sure about that? As I understand it, once the compressed outer layer
is broached the whole thing goes bang no matter what. Prince Rupert's
Drops and all that.

Chris Bacon

Apr 21, 2006, 4:11:19 AM4/21/06
Guy King wrote:
> The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

>> You can drill toughened glass, you just have to be careful
>> (and very slow), and use a fine abrasive and rod as ?? ago.
>
> You sure about that? As I understand it, once the compressed outer layer
> is broached the whole thing goes bang no matter what. Prince Rupert's
> Drops and all that.

I drilled through a toughened windscreen some years ago, which
was OK..... I can however tell you that using a glass cutter is
not a good idea. Amazing how far the bits go.

owd...@googlemail.com

Apr 21, 2006, 4:22:26 AM4/21/06
What would be the point of this hole? OK it would drain off standing
water but the condensation prob would worsen.

cheers
Jacob

Guy King

Apr 21, 2006, 5:19:34 AM4/21/06
The message <444893d8$1...@newsgate.x-privat.org>

from Chris Bacon <chris...@thai.com> contains these words:

> > You sure about that? As I understand it, once the compressed outer layer

> > is broached the whole thing goes bang no matter what. Prince Rupert's
> > Drops and all that.

> I drilled through a toughened windscreen some years ago, which
> was OK..... I can however tell you that using a glass cutter is
> not a good idea. Amazing how far the bits go.

Hmm. I tried it a couple of times with toughend quarterlights without
success. Laminated's OK, of course.

Chris Bacon

Apr 21, 2006, 5:35:38 AM4/21/06
Guy King wrote:
> The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:
>> I drilled through a toughened windscreen some years ago, which
>> was OK..... I can however tell you that using a glass cutter is
>> not a good idea. Amazing how far the bits go.
>
> Hmm. I tried it a couple of times with toughend quarterlights without
> success. Laminated's OK, of course.

Yup, but laminated is a bit of a sod to cut accurately, I've
only seen it done by a glazier. I wonder whether a fine stone
on one of these "Dremmel" things would drill toughened? Bit
dodgy I should think.

meow...@care2.com

Apr 21, 2006, 8:30:19 AM4/21/06
Guy King wrote:
> The message <4447f1fb$1...@newsgate.x-privat.org>
> from Chris Bacon <chris...@thai.com> contains these words:
>
> > You can drill toughened glass, you just have to be careful
> > (and very slow), and use a fine abrasive and rod as ?? ago.
>
> You sure about that? As I understand it, once the compressed outer layer
> is broached the whole thing goes bang no matter what. Prince Rupert's
> Drops and all that.

Theres a difference between toughened and windscreen type glass.
Windscreens are deliberately stressed so they will shatter. But
toughened glass is not necessarily so stressed. I dont know if
toughened can be drilled, but I have seen toughened glass chipped on
one corner and the rest of the sheet didnt crack or break.

NT

Weatherlawyer

Apr 26, 2006, 7:05:33 AM4/26/06
The spell that the OP referred to has melded into another one whose
time is more relevant to the orient. And in harmony with whatever
harmonics are involved:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=uk&q=volcano&btnG=Search+News

And in keeping with the anomaly of British temperatures funding
tornadic activity (sick) in the States:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=uk&ie=UTF-8&q=Tornado&btnG=Search+News

A certain Harold Brooks sees no reason to check the records but I am
certain that these things are pretty much a given.

In the meantime my computer is shot and I am using my old one which is
not set up with my bookmarks the way I'd like. But it does have a
plethora of links I thought I'd lost so ...

I'll be back in my bragging and obnoxious form as soon as I get
organised again. (I wonder if god is trying to tell me something.)

Harold Brooks

Apr 26, 2006, 11:18:56 AM4/26/06
In article <1146049533.8...@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Weathe...@hotmail.com says...

I know I shouldn't bother to follow up to your annoying remarks, but
this is a complete misrepresentation. I think the records should be
checked, but the entire record should be checked systematically. You
don't go off and find some instance where two events occurred near the
same time as each other and claim there's a connection. You look at all
of the record and find out when they occur together, when they don't
occur together, when neither of them occurs.

You also have to have some predefined notion of what you're calling a
prediction of an event. Saying "something bad is going to happen
somewhere soon" is close to meaningless. For example, magnitude 6.7 (or
larger) earthquakes happen, on average, about once every two weeks in
the world. By this time of year, on average, there are five tornadoes
per day in the US, so that one of news items pointed to in the google
search above points to a day that was less tornadic than normal.

You have to have the relationship defined in a testable way, with clear
forecasts and a way to determine how many things you should get right by
chance, based on the definition of the forecast and the event. The
Farmer's Almanac in the US claims to get 80% of its forecasts correct
over a year in advance. The claim is correct because they make the
forecast areas large enough and the forecasts vague enough that you'd
expect them to get 80% right by chance. There's no skill to that. It's
just random guessing.

Until you define your "technique" in such a way that other people can
independently evaluate it (that requires well-defined forecasts and
events), it's not particularly interesting or scientific. You started
this thread with

>>>Forecast for Britain = mists.

>>>Forecast for either southern N Atlantic or Australian NW Territory =
cyclone(s)

>>>Could be an early start for the hurricane season.

You then added:

>> Coastal Western/Northern Europe seemed
>> to get frosts or fogs when they occurred. Or visa versa. Or rather:
>> Due to them having the same root cause.

How many days a year are there mists in Britain (frosts or fogs in
coastal western/northern Europe)? How many of them occur at the same
time as hurricanes? How many don't? How many hurricanes occur without
mists in Britain (frosts or fogs in coastal western/northern Europe)?

Until you've looked at the records to answer those questions, you're
just making noise. If there's something there, until you've got some
physical reasoning to back that up, you've got an interesting, but not
necessarily useful tidbit.

Harold

--
Harold Brooks
hebrooks87 hotmail.com

Weatherlawyer

Apr 28, 2006, 1:29:00 AM4/28/06

> Weatherlawyer wrote:
> > Richard Dixon wrote:
> >
> > > Do you mean tropical cyclones are forecast in the next week for Atlantic
> > > basin or just over the summer? I think the latter is standard, as for the
> > > former, where's the incipient system you talk about?
> > >
> > No.
> >
> > I am just referring to an anomally that turned up last year during the
> > North Atlantic hurricane season. Coastal Western/Northern Europe seemed
> > to get frosts or fogs when they occurred. Or visa versa. Or rather:
> > Due to them having the same root cause.
> >

> Which engine is also responsible for earthquakes.

And speaking of which, let me tell you about another anomally I spotted
shortly before the Banda Atjeh disaster.

It looked rather like this:
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/charts/twcGrads.jsp?model=gfs&chart=mslp&hour=-1
Only it was off Scandinavia. This one is almost exactly the other side
of the planet from it. About 50 to 60 gegrees S by the look of it and
120 or so degrees east. (Just in the shadow zone -if only meteorology
would admit them.)

Not a place to be flying a kite in a canoe.

Weatherlawyer

Apr 30, 2006, 4:01:56 AM4/30/06
Clm, quiet and overcast = problems for someone somewhere.

The BBC weathergirl on Friday promised rain for bank holiday Monday.
Well it looks like it might be raining thisavy. I'll just take a toddle
around my locale to see what the avian genuses think.

Weatherlawyer

Apr 30, 2006, 4:43:41 AM4/30/06

Weatherlawyer

May 2, 2006, 10:41:05 AM5/2/06

Weatherlawyer wrote:

> Could be an early start for the hurricane season.
>
> (Or not as the case may be.)

It has een an interesting month tectonically. A fair bit of volcanicity
as well as the earhtquakes. Lots of sixes and a tremor not even placed
on the Neic sites that killed one miner and trapped 2 more in a
goldmine in Oz:

Brant Webb, 37, and Todd Russell, 34, were trapped April 25 by a
cave-in that killed another miner. Webb and Russell apparently were
saved by a slab of rock that fell onto the cage of their cherry-picker
and prevented smaller rocks from hitting them after a small earthquake.

In January, 14 miners died in two accidents at mines in West Virginia.
In Mexico, 65 miners died in February after an explosion trapped them
underground. However, in Canada, 72 potash miners walked away from an
underground fire and toxic smoke in January after being locked down
overnight in airtight chambers with oxygen, food and water.

You ain't seen nothin, yet.

There is a change of spells due with the lunar phase on Friday, 5th
May. At least two fine spells. Not that there will be much difference
in the SW of England.

(Or not as the case may be.)

What will be interesting is that the present (similar) spells have run
for a number of weeks and there is always a heightened period in the
change over of such runs, when storms meteorologic or seismological
tend toward the extreme.

Weatherlawyer

May 3, 2006, 5:00:28 PM5/3/06

Weatherlawyer wrote:

> It has een an interesting month tectonically. A fair bit of volcanicity
> as well as the earhtquakes. Lots of sixes and a tremor not even placed
> on the Neic sites that killed one miner and trapped 2 more in a
> goldmine in Oz:
>
> What will be interesting is that the present (similar) spells have run
> for a number of weeks and there is always a heightened period in the
> change over of such runs, when storms meteorologic or seismological
> tend toward the extreme.

Mags 7.9; 5.1 and 5.4 Tonga. God damn it. There is a lot to learn.

> You ain't seen nothin, yet.

Either that, or it all arrived early. IIRC we have about 8 Mag 7+
quakes each year. We've had two so far. I wasn't paying much attention
to the first one but this one came with a bout of cold windy weather
followed by a really nice day.

Keep an eye open for such changes for the next one, somebody, will you?
My computer always goes down or something stupid happens when I aught
to be concentrating. I'm not much good at paying attention at the best
of times.

Weatherlawyer

May 4, 2006, 4:07:53 AM5/4/06

Weatherlawyer wrote:

> Keep an eye open for such changes for the next one, somebody, will you?
> My computer always goes down or something stupid happens when I aught
> to be concentrating. I'm not much good at paying attention at the best of times.

Such as today perhaps?

Looks like being another scorcher. It started out cool and dull.
Nothing like the near gale we had a few days back though. Anyone
looking at the Atlantic map?

Anyone there?

Hello.

This is Weatherlawyer calling earth... hello...

Weatherlawyer

May 5, 2006, 7:28:49 PM5/5/06

> Weatherlawyer wrote:
> >
> > Keep an eye open for such changes for the next one, somebody, will you?
> > My computer always goes down or something stupid happens when I aught
> > to be concentrating. I'm not much good at paying attention at the best of times.
> >
> Such as today perhaps?
>
> Looks like being another scorcher. It started out cool and dull.
> Nothing like the near gale we had a few days back though. Anyone
> looking at the Atlantic map?

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/wwa/ Posting of Tornado watch and
interestingly, in the next state, winter storms. Or I haven't quite got
the right idea with the codes for that map. Pink is for Winter Weather
Advisory, is it not?

Anyway, the new phase -only lasting a week or so, is for fine weather.
The BBC weatherforecast is not so optimistic and have also slated misty
weather. And we all know what that means, don't I?

It's not unkown to have another 7+Mag quake in the same week or so as
another. And tat Tonga site is still ringing loud and clear. More
likely for a mag 7 or higher to strike on the oter side of the earht
though. Still I must say, those so called aftershocks are somewhat
persuasive.

Weatherlawyer

May 6, 2006, 4:11:14 AM5/6/06

Weatherlawyer wrote:

> The BBC weatherforecast is not so optimistic and have also slated misty weather.
>
> It's not unkown to have another 7+Mag quake in the same week as another.
> And that Tonga site is still ringing loud and clear.
>
> More likely for a mag 7 or higher to strike on the other side of the earth though.

> Still I must say, those so called aftershocks are somewhat persuasive.

I have just remembered that the other side of the planet from Tonga and
the Fijian Islands is smack dab in the middle of Hurricane territory.
Nothing in the news at the moment unless you count a ship in trouble.
It doesn't soun like the sort of thing that happens with muzzy thinking
though.

The likely tornadic / thunder-storm activity has moved from NW to
Central Texas. But no more forecasts of mists on the TV.

So it is probable it was a false alarm.