Wooden kitchen boards

JonG

Feb 6, 2004, 4:32:56 PM2/6/04

The traditionalists amongst us may be interested in this - seems that
wooden chopping boards are more sterile than plastic ones:

http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html

--

JonG (Self -Preservation Society No. 37 3/4)

Nearly everything is now legal between consenting adults, except buying
a few pounds of apples. Chris Brown, ukrs

Frank Erskine

Feb 6, 2004, 5:26:52 PM2/6/04
In article <9MTUb.766$Y%6.13...@wards.force9.net>, JonG
<ne...@jongurr.plus.com> writes

>The traditionalists amongst us may be interested in this - seems that
>wooden chopping boards are more sterile than plastic ones:
>
>http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html

I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
(spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Cumberpach

Feb 6, 2004, 5:28:58 PM2/6/04

"JonG" <ne...@jongurr.plus.com> wrote in message

> The traditionalists amongst us may be interested in this - seems that
> wooden chopping boards are more sterile than plastic ones:
>
> http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html

Agreed, we chucked away our plastic board after a couple of mumfs, due to
discolouration in the cuts/scratches. Twas difficult to remove, even with
bleach.

Frank Erskine

Feb 6, 2004, 6:09:08 PM2/6/04
In article <5f95b37c...@ID-142832.user.uni.berlin.de>, Brain D
<brian...@lycos.co.uk> writes
>On 6 Feb,
> Frank Erskine <Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

>> I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
>> (spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.
>>
>No they're not, the placcy ones can be hoyed into the wishdosher, the tree
>bits ones have to be pyrnarq by hand jbex.

I allus hand jnfu cos I don't have a dishwosher.

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Guy King

Feb 6, 2004, 6:05:22 PM2/6/04
The message <9MTUb.766$Y%6.13...@wards.force9.net>
from JonG <ne...@jongurr.plus.com> contains these words:

> The traditionalists amongst us may be interested in this - seems that
> wooden chopping boards are more sterile than plastic ones:

No mention of a mechanism for this. We've a rock-maple chopping board
which deserves the rock bit of its name.

--
"Bother", said Skipweasel as he molished a little jig.

Guy King

Feb 6, 2004, 6:25:23 PM2/6/04
The message <c014f9$11psd6$1...@ID-183282.news.uni-berlin.de>
from "Cumberpach" <firstplatz.@virgin.net> contains these words:

> Agreed, we chucked away our plastic board after a couple of mumfs, due to
> discolouration in the cuts/scratches. Twas difficult to remove, even with
> bleach.

I have a small plarstic one for Pip to chop shroom and things on 'cos if
she pulls the big wooden one onto her she'd be squashed flat, it's
/really/ heavy.

Guy King

Feb 6, 2004, 6:34:34 PM2/6/04
The message <5f95b37c...@ID-142832.user.uni.berlin.de>
from Brain D <brian...@lycos.co.uk> contains these words:

> > I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
> > (spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.
> >

> No they're not, the placcy ones can be hoyed into the wishdosher, the tree
> bits ones have to be pyrnarq by hand jbex.

Really? I put wooden spoons and wooden handled kitchen knives into the
wishdosher and have done for years. I don't put the chopin bard in 'cos
it's too big and it's assembled out of staves and I'd not be sure of the
glue.

Jaques d'Alltrades

Feb 6, 2004, 8:37:11 PM2/6/04
The message <9MTUb.766$Y%6.13...@wards.force9.net>
from JonG <ne...@jongurr.plus.com> contains these words:

> The traditionalists amongst us may be interested in this - seems that

> wooden chopping boards are more sterile than plastic ones:

> http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html

Well-known for yonks, that one. Thass why butchers are bean aloud to
re-invest in beechwood chopping blocks. After bean molished to get rid
of them, of course.

Years ago, when I were molishing cheese, the council's Pubic Elf Inn
Spectre asked me wot I were hfrvat to mature my cheese on.

"Wooden slats." sez I.

<sharp intake of breff>

"Oooo no! You've gotta hfr stainless steel or melamine, or something
washable!" he quoth.

"I don't want to kill my costumiers." I replied. "You gets anærobic
bactrians lurking between the cheese and imperverted surfaces, wot will
molish serious tocsins in the cheese. Trust me."

He went away and read up a bit, and came back and tole me I were crect.
Since I'd been crect about all the other objections he'd raised (I had a
ver up-to-date diary bwk) when he wanted to know anything about small
diary practice (which admittedly, weren't offen) he useter come and ask
me.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades

Feb 6, 2004, 8:43:43 PM2/6/04
The message <c014f9$11psd6$1...@ID-183282.news.uni-berlin.de>
from "Cumberpach" <firstplatz.@virgin.net> contains these words:

Bactrians are much more likely to lurk in the cuts and scratches, and
because of service tension and trapped air in them when you washes the
board, you rarely manage to eradicate all offem.

You can thoroughly sterilise a wooden board hfvat warm water and a
little bleach.

Guy King

Feb 7, 2004, 4:02:28 AM2/7/04
The message <200402070...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk>
from Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> contains
these words:

> You can thoroughly sterilise a wooden board hfvat warm water and a
> little bleach.

I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.

Kate Dicey

Feb 7, 2004, 8:33:57 AM2/7/04
Brain D wrote:

> On 6 Feb,
> Frank Erskine <Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> > I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
> > (spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.
> >
> No they're not, the placcy ones can be hoyed into the wishdosher, the tree
> bits ones have to be pyrnarq by hand jbex.

Lakeland Limited do some dishwasherable tree bits chopping boards. Had
them fer years...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Sleepalot

Feb 7, 2004, 12:19:10 PM2/7/04
Frank Erskine <Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:

I find that wooden things don't like being left to soak for several
weeks.

--
Sleepalot aa #1385

Guy King

Feb 7, 2004, 12:39:54 PM2/7/04
The message <cvp82011n958sgkpr...@4ax.com>
from Sleepalot <slee...@fsmail.net> contains these words:

> I find that wooden things don't like being left to soak for several
> weeks.

Boat hulls, for example. Doesn't do 'em any good at all.

Linz

Feb 7, 2004, 1:59:00 PM2/7/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:40:32 GMT, Brain D <brian...@lycos.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 6 Feb,

> Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Really? I put wooden spoons and wooden handled kitchen knives into the
>> wishdosher and have done for years. I don't put the chopin bard in 'cos
>> it's too big and it's assembled out of staves and I'd not be sure of the
>> glue.
>>

>I sneak in the wooden spoons now and again but SWSOT insists that it ruins
>them. AAAW she ses it warps the plastic chopin broads. (it has the soft
>plarstic, but not the hard white ones). Who am I to argue?

At the price of wooden spoons, I'm happy for them to be eventually
ruined by the wishdosher. But the big chopping board is both too large
and too nice for the chamine.

Linz

Feb 7, 2004, 2:00:45 PM2/7/04
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:02:28 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>The message <200402070...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk>
>from Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> contains
>these words:
>
>> You can thoroughly sterilise a wooden board hfvat warm water and a
>> little bleach.
>
>I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.

Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?

Guy King

Feb 7, 2004, 2:11:55 PM2/7/04
The message <ceda205ff10g961mh...@4ax.com>
from Linz <sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> contains these words:

> >I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.

> Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?

I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Feb 7, 2004, 5:20:38 PM2/7/04
Frank Erskine wibbled:
Ah but now proper reserach has shown that soemthing about the way knife
cuts differ in the materials mean wood is better after all. Actually I
first heard this about 8 years ago...
Also I hear they finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't
saving the environment after all with paper prices being so low, and
since a lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are
properly dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
--
Looking for a 23

Kate Dicey

Feb 7, 2004, 5:52:01 PM2/7/04

I have wooding spoons that arr over 20 years old and have beed
wishdoshed reg'ly for the last 12 or so. Still going strong...

Kate Dicey

Feb 7, 2004, 5:52:08 PM2/7/04
Guy King wrote:

> The message <ceda205ff10g961mh...@4ax.com>
> from Linz <sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> contains these words:
>
> > >I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.
>
> > Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>
> I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
> blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.

A little washing up liquid should be enough: anything stronger may taint
the food.

Ichimusai

Feb 7, 2004, 5:43:29 PM2/7/04
N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> writes:

> Ah but now proper reserach has shown that soemthing about the way
> knife cuts differ in the materials mean wood is better after all.
> Actually I first heard this about 8 years ago... Also I hear they
> finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't saving the
> environment after all with paper prices being so low, and since a
> lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are properly
> dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.

Is actually the drying of your hands improving hygiene after you
washed them?

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai
23:42:00 up 8 days, 6:55, 5 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.03

Ron Clark

Feb 7, 2004, 5:46:15 PM2/7/04

Why do I want to sterilise my chopper?

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°²

MEow

Feb 7, 2004, 6:01:11 PM2/7/04
While frolicking around in uk.rec.sheds, Ron Clark of VA69 Appreciation
Goup said:

>>Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>
>Why do I want to sterilise my chopper?

Why do I want to chop my steriliser?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856

Ron Clark

Feb 7, 2004, 6:02:30 PM2/7/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:46:20 +0000, x(yz)enop...@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:11:55 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>>The message <ceda205ff10g961mh...@4ax.com>
>>from Linz <sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> contains these words:

>>> Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>>
>>I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
>>blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.
>

>Goodness ar Gooey. D'yer meantersay that you hfr the same one for
>everything?
>
>I have one board for meat only, one I generally hfr for onions and
>gralick, and a nall-purpose vegetable board.

I've got two luvverly chopping boards what I made out of hardwood.

They sterilise up nicely, but when they get a bit grainted and worn,
I takes 'em out into me garage/workshop and planes the fuvg off of
'em.

--
You can stick what you like in a sig.
Then you can use it hundreds of times

®óñ© © ²°°³

Ron Clark

Feb 7, 2004, 6:04:08 PM2/7/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:01:11 +0100, MEow <nikitt...@yahoo.se>
wrote:

>While frolicking around in uk.rec.sheds, Ron Clark of VA69 Appreciation
>Goup said:
>
>>>Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>>
>>Why do I want to sterilise my chopper?
>
>Why do I want to chop my steriliser?

Why do I sterilise and chop my wants?

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°²

coj

Feb 7, 2004, 6:20:51 PM2/7/04
Ron Clark wrote:

> I've got two luvverly chopping boards what I made out of hardwood.
>
> They sterilise up nicely, but when they get a bit grainted and worn,
> I takes 'em out into me garage/workshop and planes the fuvg off of
> 'em.

Why not only hfr em in the kitching ?

Frank Erskine

Feb 7, 2004, 6:39:49 PM2/7/04
In article <m3n07uw...@ichimusai.org>, Ichimusai
<ic...@ichimusai.org> writes

>N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Ah but now proper reserach has shown that soemthing about the way
>> knife cuts differ in the materials mean wood is better after all.
>> Actually I first heard this about 8 years ago... Also I hear they
>> finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't saving the
>> environment after all with paper prices being so low, and since a
>> lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are properly
>> dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
>
>Is actually the drying of your hands improving hygiene after you
>washed them?

There're lotsa people in pubs etc who don't even wash their hands after
having a pee. That annoys me. I usually open the pub bog door wiv my
ickle finger at the end of the handle.

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Ichimusai

Feb 7, 2004, 7:00:19 PM2/7/04
Frank Erskine <Fr...@btinternet.com> writes:

> There're lotsa people in pubs etc who don't even wash their hands
> after having a pee. That annoys me. I usually open the pub bog door
> wiv my ickle finger at the end of the handle.

But still, that would be the same if you dried or not after washing,
would it not?

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai

00:59:00 up 8 days, 8:12, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Guy King

Feb 7, 2004, 6:57:02 PM2/7/04
The message <40256C18...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk>
from Kate Dicey <ka...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk> contains these words:

> > I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
> > blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.

> A little washing up liquid should be enough: anything stronger may taint
> the food.

I ain't never tasted it. Then, I do rinse after!

Guy King

Feb 7, 2004, 6:58:37 PM2/7/04
The message <liqa20lfgsirmai2v...@4ax.com>
from x(yz)enop...@hotmail.com contains these words:

> >I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
> >blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.

> Goodness ar Gooey. D'yer meantersay that you hfr the same one for
> everything?

> I have one board for meat only, one I generally hfr for onions and
> gralick, and a nall-purpose vegetable board.

Yup, and I ain't died of it yet, but that may be 'cos I wash it. I
really CBA to have loads of boards. For a start where am I s'posed to
put 'em all, and I'd have to keep 'em all clean and I'd have to unforget
which is which and so on.

Nah, I'll stick to my rock-maple and wash it.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 7, 2004, 11:55:42 PM2/7/04
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:09:08 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
<Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In article <5f95b37c...@ID-142832.user.uni.berlin.de>, Brain D
> <brian...@lycos.co.uk> writes
>> On 6 Feb,
>> Frank Erskine <Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
>>> (spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.
>>>

>> No they're not, the placcy ones can be hoyed into the wishdosher, the
>> tree
>> bits ones have to be pyrnarq by hand jbex.
>
> I allus hand jnfu cos I don't have a dishwosher.

Back before we got our automatic one, Hippie allus sed she had a
wishdosher; and she had the zneevntr yvfrafr to prove it.

--
Lane Gray
If you're enlightened and you know it, clap one hand

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 3:12:50 AM2/8/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:34:10 +0000, ^Ï^ <snipe...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> Brain D wrote:
>
>>> Really? I put wooden spoons and wooden handled kitchen knives into
>>> the wishdosher and have done for years. I don't put the chopin bard
>>> in 'cos it's too big and it's assembled out of staves and I'd not be
>>> sure of the glue.
>>>

>> I sneak in the wooden spoons now and again but SWSOT insists that it
>> ruins them. AAAW she ses it warps the plastic chopin broads. (it has
>> the soft plarstic, but not the hard white ones). Who am I to argue?
>

> We once had a white placky chopin bawd wot came with a strick injunction
> not to doshwisherise it, coz it woz s'posedly impregnated with an
> anti-bacterial agent wot would be roonied if doshwished.
>
> It also had a distinguishing mark on one side so that you knew which
> side was for meat and which for veg. Boodly silly idee, it lasted about
> a fortnight before it was doshwished by mistake.

ISTR they got treated with triclosan, which not only gets eliminated
(although probably gradually) by wishdoshering, but the germies have
started developing resistance tuit. Horse spittles over here have started
removing triclosan-based antibacterials, and have gone back to ethanol.
It seems only four things have thus far managed to stymie resistance
molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 1:37:31 AM2/8/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:00:45 +0000, Linz
<sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote:

Narsty microbes on the surface of some frutes and veg, and many meats TAAW.

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Feb 8, 2004, 1:48:34 AM2/8/04
Ichimusai wibbled:

> N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> writes:
>
> > Ah but now proper reserach has shown that soemthing about the way
> > knife cuts differ in the materials mean wood is better after all.
> > Actually I first heard this about 8 years ago... Also I hear they
> > finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't saving the
> > environment after all with paper prices being so low, and since a
> > lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are properly
> > dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
>
> Is actually the drying of your hands improving hygiene after you
> washed them?

I dunno, really, it just ooks me out when I grab the washroom doorhandle
and it's wet

Richard Eney

Feb 8, 2004, 3:27:08 AM2/8/04
In article <MPG.1a8fec1fd...@News.individual.net>,

>> > I hear they
>> > finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't saving the
>> > environment after all with paper prices being so low, and since a
>> > lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are properly
>> > dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
>>
>> Is actually the drying of your hands improving hygiene after you
>> washed them?

It's a comparative thing. Drying them with a clean paper towel is
a lot more hygienic than drying them with an air dryer, which just
blows all the germs in the air onto your hands. It's been said that
using one of them is like drying your hands in a sneg.

If the air were clean, standing there flapping yoru hands in the air
would be more sanitary than wiping them with a paper towel, but the
air isn't usually that clean and besides people won't wait that long.

>I dunno, really, it just ooks me out when I grab the washroom
>doorhandle and it's wet

Washroom door handles are icky anyway. When I have a paper towel
available, I use it to open the door, then throw it in a wastepaper
container as soon as possible later. I really like the bogs that
have a double-baffle wall instead of a door.

=Tamar

Richard Eney

Feb 8, 2004, 3:35:16 AM2/8/04
In article <200402072...@zetnet.co.uk>,

Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:
>from Kate Dicey <ka...@diceyhome.free-online.co.uk> contains these words:
>
>> > I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
>> > blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.
>
>> A little washing up liquid should be enough: anything stronger may taint
>> the food.
>
>I ain't never tasted it. Then, I do rinse after!

Back when I did much meat cutting, I just hfrq washing-up liquid
and scrubbed the board well and let it dry thoroughly before
hfrvat it again.

A man who jabexed as a ninspector told me the guvmint regs specified
all cutting boards to be washed with bleach after every hfr. But
OTOH he didn't have the sense to wrap a package of chopped meat with
something impervious before putting it in my food cooler when camping
(without my permission so I didn't know it was there), and the lbood
leaked and tainted everything else I had in it. So I tend to ignore
much of what he said 'cos my methods haven't molished me sick yet.

=Tamar

Cumberpach

Feb 8, 2004, 5:20:01 AM2/8/04

"Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:00:45 +0000, Linz
> <sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:02:28 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The message <200402070...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk>
> >> from Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> contains
> >> these words:

> >> I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.
> >
> > Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>
> Narsty microbes on the surface of some frutes and veg, and many meats
TAAW.

Indubitably - or as they say in Sarf Lodnon 'Yer darn Tooting'
(Whorled famous tube http://tinyurl.com/3eyoa )

Pete

Henriette Kress

Feb 8, 2004, 5:51:49 AM2/8/04
Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> He went away and read up a bit, and came back and tole me I were crect.

Ver good Pubic Elf Inn Spectre that, admitting he's wrong.

Hetta

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

MEow

Feb 8, 2004, 5:45:34 AM2/8/04
Goup said:

>>>Why do I want to sterilise my chopper?
>>
>>Why do I want to chop my steriliser?
>
>Why do I sterilise and chop my wants?

Why do I sterilise my wants in a chopper?

Sleepalot

Feb 8, 2004, 6:05:47 AM2/8/04
Ichimusai <ic...@ichimusai.org> wrote:

>N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Ah but now proper reserach has shown that soemthing about the way
>> knife cuts differ in the materials mean wood is better after all.
>> Actually I first heard this about 8 years ago... Also I hear they
>> finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't saving the
>> environment after all with paper prices being so low, and since a
>> lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are properly
>> dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
>
>Is actually the drying of your hands improving hygiene after you
>washed them?

Damp hands are great for growing bugs on.

--
Sleepalot aa #1385

Barley Twist

Feb 8, 2004, 6:51:22 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:27:08 -0000, dic...@radix.net (Richard Eney)
wrote:

>Washroom door handles are icky anyway.

There's something on the Copper Development Association wibble [1]
about the antiseptic effects of brass when used on handles.

If krect then chrome and ally are not a good eyed dear on washroom
door handles

[1]Tracked it down again - there is just *so* much fascinating stuff
there: http://www.cda.org.uk/frontend/faqs.htm#HEALTH
and:
http://www.cda.org.uk/news/Press%20Releases/PR543.htm

Barley Twist
(Please put out the cats to reply direct)

Barley Twist

Feb 8, 2004, 6:51:32 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:12:50 -0800, "Lane Gray, Czar Castic"
<Cgr...@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>It seems only four things have thus far managed to stymie resistance
>molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.

Which might explain why I'm getting nowhere with that hot, peroxide
blonde who can drink me under the table ...

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 6:58:57 AM2/8/04
The message <c052gk$12pc0h$1...@ID-183282.news.uni-berlin.de>
from "Cumberpach" <firstplatz.@virgin.net> contains these words:

> (Whorled famous tube http://tinyurl.com/3eyoa )

I used to live about 1/8" off the bottom right corner of that map.

Ron Clark

Feb 8, 2004, 7:24:46 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:05:47 +0000, Sleepalot <slee...@fsmail.net>
wrote:

IRTA "Damn pans"

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°²

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 7:22:10 AM2/8/04
The message <c77c201h0t9tdg3gk...@4ax.com>
from Barley Twist <gfiendi...@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> If krect then chrome and ally are not a good eyed dear on washroom
> door handles

Silver's good, too, apparently.

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 7:26:49 AM2/8/04
The message <c77c201h0t9tdg3gk...@4ax.com>
from Barley Twist <gfiendi...@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> [1]Tracked it down again - there is just *so* much fascinating stuff
> there: http://www.cda.org.uk/frontend/faqs.htm#HEALTH

Which lead me on to

http://www.cda.org.uk/megab2/elecapps/pub142lo.pdf

all about getting leccyshocks from faulty pooter equipment.

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 8:26:32 AM2/8/04
Sleepalot <slee...@fsmail.net> writes:

Um.. yeah, but they won't stay damp for very long. Or you could just
wipe them on your trousers or summat.

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai

14:25:00 up 8 days, 21:38, 5 users, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 8:27:37 AM2/8/04
N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> writes:

[...]

> I dunno, really, it just ooks me out when I grab the washroom
> doorhandle and it's wet

Well, usually people don't pee all over their hands so you should take
it as a sign that the one before you did wash :)

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai

14:26:01 up 8 days, 21:39, 5 users, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

Cumberpach

Feb 8, 2004, 8:31:30 AM2/8/04

"^Ï^" <snipe...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Cumberpach wrote:
>
> > Indubitably - or as they say in Sarf Lodnon 'Yer darn Tooting'
>
> Worn through at the heel again, huh?
> --
No doubt when Earl awakes, heel confirm the correct wordin' to be- 'durn
tootin'. Thobut don't wake him, he won't enjoy his grits.

Pete

Cumberpach

Feb 8, 2004, 8:44:21 AM2/8/04

"Brain D" <brian...@lycos.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 8 Feb,

> "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.
<snip>> >
> Boiling duzzent necessarily kill all the bugses, autoclaving[78] (pressure
> cwking) at elevated temperatures jbexes and dry heat at even higher
temperachures.

Twood be interesting to know what the higher temps coresp' to small, medium
and heavy waits would be, prestege would prolly know. I disremember the name
of the tv.chefguru (beard, stripey apron) explained the function of the
microwave. 'Tuned to just over 100 C, thats why theybe only good for
reheating/defrosting as the best flavours appear at approx 130 C+'. The only
prob I have with the beards' theory is, howcum food ignights if serious
over-microwaving ?.

Barley Twist

Feb 8, 2004, 8:48:05 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:22:10 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Silver's good, too, apparently.

I spent quite a long time living in Northern Thailand and a common
trick up there was to use an old silver coin (they were usually Indian
ones) in your water bottle to keep it sweet.

Also remember the metal smiths in Chiang Mai beating out little water
cups from old Indian silver coins - can't unforget what the value was
but they were about the size of our old half-crows . ToBAGO!

Fenny

Feb 8, 2004, 9:22:08 AM2/8/04
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
Barley Twist say...

> Also remember the metal smiths in Chiang Mai beating out little water
> cups from old Indian silver coins - can't unforget what the value was
> but they were about the size of our old half-crows . ToBAGO!

I've got some 2 Rupee coins that are about the size of a 50p, but with
nore sides, and some 5 rupee coins that are about the size of a 1zu
coin. Both are farily arj.
--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - from a list by Andrew Burford
#76: Meals between meals can ruin your appetite.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 12:00:13 PM2/8/04
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 22:20:38 -0000, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU
<dave...@ukmisc.org.uk> wrote:

> Frank Erskine wibbled:
>> In article <9MTUb.766$Y%6.13...@wards.force9.net>, JonG
>> <ne...@jongurr.plus.com> writes
>> >
>> >The traditionalists amongst us may be interested in this - seems that
>> >wooden chopping boards are more sterile than plastic ones:
>> >
>> >http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Bacteria/bacteria.html

>> I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
>> (spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.
>>

> Ah but now proper reserach has shown that soemthing about the way knife
> cuts differ in the materials mean wood is better after all. Actually I
> first heard this about 8 years ago...
> Also I hear they finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't
> saving the environment after all with paper prices being so low, and
> since a lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are
> properly dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.

And never had a greater hygienic benefit. The National Sanitation
Foundation (independent accreditation board/research org, no axes to
grind) did a test on them. Found them second only to those horrid
recirculating linen rolls in filthitude. Turns out the germs live in the
air passages, and multiply like mad in the warmth.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 12:01:31 PM2/8/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:46:15 +0000, Ron Clark <r...@spamall.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:00:45 +0000, Linz
> <sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:02:28 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The message <200402070...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk>
>>> from Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> contains
>>> these words:

>>> I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.
>>

>> Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>
> Why do I want to sterilise my chopper?

You never know where the tart on the back has been?

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 12:07:25 PM2/8/04

If bofe sides have enough smoothility, you cwd allus hfr one side for
meat, then hfr the other side for veg.

Frank Erskine

Feb 8, 2004, 10:23:12 AM2/8/04
In article <opr219un...@news-server.kc.rr.com>, Lane Gray, Czar
Castic <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> writes
Which side y'you hfr for unmantling bike engines?

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Linz

Feb 8, 2004, 10:53:58 AM2/8/04
wrote:

>The message <ceda205ff10g961mh...@4ax.com>
>from Linz <sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> contains these words:

>> >I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.
>
>> Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>

>I don't particularly like cutting up salad on it when it's still got
>blood from meat on it, so from time to time I scrub it.

I scrub my wooden board, but I don't sterilise it. The only things
that get sterilised in this house are the breastpump bits, and that's
purely for the same of the teeny weeny babies I pump for.
--
Look at all these socks!

Linz

Feb 8, 2004, 10:55:31 AM2/8/04

The only problem with that, that I've found anyway, is that if you
chop some meat and then find more veg to cut up, and you turn over the
board, you've got meaty bits all over the worksurface too which
increases the amount of cleaning required.

Linz

Feb 8, 2004, 10:56:51 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:37:31 GMT, "Lane Gray, Czar Castic"
<Cgr...@kc.rr.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:00:45 +0000, Linz

><sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote:

>> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 09:02:28 GMT, Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The message <200402070...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk>
>>> from Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> contains
>>> these words:

>>> I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.
>>
>> Why do I want to sterilise my chopping board?
>

>Narsty microbes on the surface of some frutes and veg, and many meats TAAW.

That just means cleaning fruit, veg and meat though, not sterilising
the board.

Barley Twist

Feb 8, 2004, 11:04:35 AM2/8/04
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:23:12 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
<Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Which side y'you hfr for unmantling bike engines?

The opposite site to the one used for stripping carby-tooters.

Of course.

MEow

Feb 8, 2004, 11:09:30 AM2/8/04
While frolicking around in uk.rec.sheds, Barley Twist of said:

>The opposite site to the one used for stripping carby-tooters.

IRTA "The other side used for stripping cowboy-toothers"

--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN

"Woah- leave me out of this! I am a Brussels sprouts agnostic- i.e., not
entirely sure they actually exist. Never seen one cooked IRL."
Catherine Caruso (AFV)

David Reid

Feb 8, 2004, 11:04:58 AM2/8/04
In the outpouring of consciousness known as
<ktmc201mk3th8sea3...@4ax.com>, Linz
<sp...@nospam.lindsayendell.org.uk> spake thusly:

And when you turn it over again 'cos you forgot some of the meat too you
get meaty bits off the work surface onto the veg side.

Oiorpata

Feb 8, 2004, 11:53:51 AM2/8/04
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:39:49 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
<Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>There're lotsa people in pubs etc who don't even wash their hands after
>having a pee. That annoys me. I usually open the pub bog door wiv my
>ickle finger at the end of the handle.

It annoys me that the bog doors over here always open inwards so you
have to pull on a handle to open them. S'much nicer if they open
outwards, so's you can just give them a push with your elbow, thusly
avoiding all the bacteria from the people who never wash their hands.
--

Kran

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 11:53:54 AM2/8/04
Barley Twist <gfiendi...@hotmail.com> writes:

[...]

>>Which side y'you hfr for unmantling bike engines?
>
> The opposite site to the one used for stripping carby-tooters.

I fought the mantle was on the driver and not the enjinne. Thobut I
was a vivid Marvel reader in my teens.

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai

17:52:00 up 9 days, 1:05, 5 users, load average: 0.16, 0.15, 0.09

Oiorpata

Feb 8, 2004, 11:56:35 AM2/8/04
wrote:

>It's a comparative thing. Drying them with a clean paper towel is
>a lot more hygienic than drying them with an air dryer, which just
>blows all the germs in the air onto your hands. It's been said that
>using one of them is like drying your hands in a sneg.

TAAW the paper towel can be used to turn off the taps, since most of
the taps are the kind that have to be screwed by hand, and not just
knocked on and orf with your elbow. S'no point washing your hands and
then grabbing the dirty tap that you just fondled with your unwashed
hands a second ago.
--

Kran

Frank Erskine

Feb 8, 2004, 12:05:28 PM2/8/04
In article <tdqc20d4j3mmmuvpv...@4ax.com>, Oiorpata
<oior...@hotmail.com> writes

There's a big pubic bog here wot has no doors (apart from the cubicles)
and has automatic tapses wiv infra-red sensors. They still have a pushy-
down thing for liquid soap, and warm air driers thobut.

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Frank Erskine

Feb 8, 2004, 12:07:54 PM2/8/04
In article <SlK1nWAO...@btinternet.com>, Frank Erskine
<Fr...@btinternet.com> writes
The sensors mightn't be infra-red, but they're automagic anyway.

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Fenny

Feb 8, 2004, 12:49:08 PM2/8/04
Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.sheds, I heard
Oiorpata say...
Takes up more room to have them opening outwards. As it is, most bog
cubicles are so small that you can't get in properly with an inward
opening door.

As for the double baffle walls instead of doors, it would prolly
contravene all kinds of H&S regs wot say things like you haster have 2
doors between WC and food molishing areas, wot prolly includes bars.

#13: The Boston Tea Party was started by some unruly chimpanzees.

Cumberpach

Feb 8, 2004, 1:38:12 PM2/8/04

"Frank Erskine" <Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote in message > There're lotsa

people in pubs etc who don't even wash their hands after
> having a pee. That annoys me. I usually open the pub bog door wiv my ickle
finger at the end of the handle.

> --
Ah, this explains why peeps stand in the swimming pool with their hands
above water. Thetbe havin a quiet pee- obvious innit.

Pete

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 1:54:48 PM2/8/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:42:51 GMT, Brain D <brian...@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

> On 8 Feb,

> "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> ISTR they got treated with triclosan, which not only gets eliminated
>> (although probably gradually) by wishdoshering, but the germies have
>> started developing resistance tuit. Horse spittles over here have
>> started
>> removing triclosan-based antibacterials, and have gone back to ethanol.
>> It seems only four things have thus far managed to stymie resistance

>> molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.
>>

> Boiling duzzent necessarily kill all the bugses, autoclaving[78]
> (pressure
> cwking) at elevated temperatures jbexes and dry heat at even higher
> temperachures.

Right. Boiling merely sanitizes, which only knocks them back to usually
harmless levels. I don't know what temps/pressures/times autoclaving
requires, but the NSF says that in order to achieve *sterilization* in an
oven, you need two hours at 275F.

> [78] unforgets a pint bottle of meths being autoclaved at 35psi, It
> lifted
> the door(2footses square) seal and belched steam wiv a big bnag, herd all
> over the plaice. BiL who was standing in front ovvit at the thyme turned
> little pale, and all the glass thingys inside were mollished to ground
> glass.
> Fortunately the door didn't become detached.

Oops.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 4:12:28 PM2/8/04

The side the wife won't catch you hfrvat

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 2:30:20 PM2/8/04
"Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> writes:

[...]

> Right. Boiling merely sanitizes, which only knocks them back to
> usually harmless levels. I don't know what temps/pressures/times
> autoclaving requires, but the NSF says that in order to achieve
> *sterilization* in an oven, you need two hours at 275F.

And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
first before being autoclaved...

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai
MSN: Ichimusai1972 AOL: Ichimusai1972 IRC: Ichimusai@IRCNet

MEow

Feb 8, 2004, 2:47:24 PM2/8/04
While frolicking around in uk.rec.sheds, Ichimusai of Rikskrem said:

>And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
>first before being autoclaved...

IRTA "And that still don't jbex in prisons where they arrq to take a
bath in NaOH"

--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN

"Nineteen-inch rack-mounted goats. Wow. I'll buy three."
Scrćwtĺpe(afdaniain)

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 3:09:03 PM2/8/04
MEow <nikitt...@yahoo.se> writes:

> While frolicking around in uk.rec.sheds, Ichimusai of Rikskrem said:
>
>>And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
>>first before being autoclaved...
>
> IRTA "And that still don't jbex in prisons where they arrq to take a
> bath in NaOH"

Thass some clean hoodlums!

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai
MSN: Ichimusai1972 AOL: Ichimusai1972 IRC: Ichimusai@IRCNet

21:08:00 up 9 days, 4:21, 5 users, load average: 0.12, 0.05, 0.01

Sena

Feb 8, 2004, 3:36:36 PM2/8/04
guy....@zetnet.co.uk said...
> The message <5f95b37c...@ID-142832.user.uni.berlin.de>
> from Brain D <brian...@lycos.co.uk> contains these words:

> > > I said on here ages ago, and still believe, that wooden utensils
> > > (spatulae &Co) are easier to pyrna than plastic thingies.
> > >
> > No they're not, the placcy ones can be hoyed into the wishdosher, the tree
> > bits ones have to be pyrnarq by hand jbex.
>
> Really? I put wooden spoons and wooden handled kitchen knives into the
> wishdosher and have done for years. I don't put the chopin bard in 'cos
> it's too big and it's assembled out of staves and I'd not be sure of the
> glue.

MTAAW. Putting wood in a wishdosher is fine; it's the glue that
mayn't be.
--
If you need my email address please ask.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 3:53:23 PM2/8/04

Hardwoods, yes. Soft woods, I'd recommend against it, raise the grain,
not dense enough.

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 3:36:02 PM2/8/04
The message <0bqc2094j0j8t0fki...@4ax.com>
from Oiorpata <oior...@hotmail.com> contains these words:

> It annoys me that the bog doors over here always open inwards so you
> have to pull on a handle to open them.

Also takes up a lot of space in the cubical...so much that you have to
be a contortionist to get into 'em. Like grjs. Many modern grjs on these
"little boxes all made of ticky-tacky" estates are so small you can't
get the car door open. Mine's tight, but possible, but I never keep the
car it in anyway. Which leaves room for my arj tablesaw. Dunno how I
ever managed without one.

--
"Bother", said Skipweasel as he molished a little jig.

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 3:38:16 PM2/8/04
The message <m365ehf...@ichimusai.org>
from Ichimusai <ic...@ichimusai.org> contains these words:

> And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
> first before being autoclaved...

IRTA prisons.

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 3:32:43 PM2/8/04
The message <gqhc20p41k7mbv7hp...@4ax.com>

from x(yz)enop...@hotmail.com contains these words:

> >[1]Tracked it down again - there is just *so* much fascinating stuff
> >there: http://www.cda.org.uk/frontend/faqs.htm#HEALTH
> >and:
> >http://www.cda.org.uk/news/Press%20Releases/PR543.htm

> That's ded interestin'!

> Why don't arjspapers and the GI Arjs tell us important stuff like this
> instead of gossip about fake celebrities?

If they did you can be sure that even if some listened they'd not goov
about it and hfr lacquered brassware thus defeating the object but
feeling smug 'cos they thought they were being clever.

Guy King

Feb 8, 2004, 3:33:08 PM2/8/04
The message <opr219un...@news-server.kc.rr.com>
from "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> contains these words:

> > Nah, I'll stick to my rock-maple and wash it.
> >
> If bofe sides have enough smoothility, you cwd allus hfr one side for
> meat, then hfr the other side for veg.

CBA.

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 4:22:07 PM2/8/04
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> writes:

> The message <m365ehf...@ichimusai.org>
> from Ichimusai <ic...@ichimusai.org> contains these words:
>
>> And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
>> first before being autoclaved...
>
> IRTA prisons.

So did MEow...

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai
MSN: Ichimusai1972 AOL: Ichimusai1972 IRC: Ichimusai@IRCNet

22:22:00 up 9 days, 5:35, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Feb 8, 2004, 4:47:11 PM2/8/04
> > >[1]Tracked it down again - there is just *so* much fascinating stuff
> > >there: http://www.cda.org.uk/frontend/faqs.htm#HEALTH
> > >and:
> > >http://www.cda.org.uk/news/Press%20Releases/PR543.htm

I didn't spot any references to papers in peer-reviewed journals on
those pages, but I wasn't looking very hard. I'd be happier if the
stuies had been funded by soembody other than the Copper Development
Agency
--
Wanted: 24

dave...@ukmisc.org.uk

Feb 8, 2004, 4:48:21 PM2/8/04
Guy King wibbled:

> The message <m365ehf...@ichimusai.org>
> from Ichimusai <ic...@ichimusai.org> contains these words:
>
> > And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
> > first before being autoclaved...
>
> IRTA prisons.

y'know "they" have just found out that somethign prion-like seems to be
involved in memory formation?
--
Wanted: 24

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 5:04:14 PM2/8/04

I'd had the same thought. I've half a mind to go poking through to see
what, if anything, they have to say about CCA lumber. Narsty stuff, but
it does have copper in it.

Frank Erskine

Feb 8, 2004, 5:30:33 PM2/8/04
In article <MPG.1a90bebc6...@News.individual.net>,
N.L...@WKX.KM.EU writes

Is this "Copper Development Agency" some sort of police training school?

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

Frank Erskine

Feb 8, 2004, 5:32:25 PM2/8/04
In article <200402082...@zetnet.co.uk>, Guy King
<guy....@zetnet.co.uk> writes

>The message <opr219un...@news-server.kc.rr.com>
>from "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> contains these words:
>
>> > Nah, I'll stick to my rock-maple and wash it.
>> >
>> If bofe sides have enough smoothility, you cwd allus hfr one side for
>> meat, then hfr the other side for veg.
>
>CBA.

Chopping Board Agency?

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC

coj

Feb 8, 2004, 5:47:11 PM2/8/04
N.L...@WKX.KM.EU wrote:

> y'know "they" have just found out that somethign prion-like seems to be
> involved in memory formation?

IRTA mammary

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 7:58:08 PM2/8/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:45:32 GMT, Brain D <brian...@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

> On 8 Feb,

> Ichimusai <ic...@ichimusai.org> wrote:
>
>> "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Right. Boiling merely sanitizes, which only knocks them back to
>> > usually harmless levels. I don't know what temps/pressures/times
>> > autoclaving requires, but the NSF says that in order to achieve
>> > *sterilization* in an oven, you need two hours at 275F.
>

> Dry heat needs higher heat/time. see psot ^

>> And that still don't work on prions which need to take a bath in NaOH
>> first before being autoclaved...
>>

> They hadn't invented those when I was in microbilge.

So how did madcow kill back then?

Ichimusai

Feb 8, 2004, 6:16:51 PM2/8/04
"Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> writes:

> So how did madcow kill back then?

Slowly?

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai
MSN: Ichimusai1972 AOL: Ichimusai1972 IRC: Ichimusai@IRCNet

00:16:01 up 9 days, 7:29, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 8, 2004, 7:50:41 PM2/8/04
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:43:20 +0000, ^Ï^ <snipe...@spambin.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> Lane Gray, Czar Castic wrote:
>
>> So how did madcow kill back then?
>

> Apropos of nothing, Lane; but you seem to be posting
> from the future; your header shows:-
>
> Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:58:08 -0800
>
> and appears to be an hour fast to me.

Ooops. I'd set the clock right, but the time zone got off. I just svkrq
it.

Jaques d'Alltrades

Feb 9, 2004, 1:38:56 AM2/9/04
The message <200402070...@zetnet.co.uk>
from Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> contains these words:
> The message <200402070...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk>
> from Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> contains
> these words:

> > You can thoroughly sterilise a wooden board hfvat warm water and a
> > little bleach.

> I scrub it over with dilute bleach and one of those SS scouring pads.

I usually wash mine in just ver hot water and scrub it with Scotchbrite
unless I have been chopping raw meat.

I uses one side for meat and the other side for vegs.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades

Feb 9, 2004, 1:46:54 AM2/9/04
The message <opr21k3o...@news-server.kc.rr.com>
from "Lane Gray, Czar Castic" <Cgr...@kc.rr.com> contains these words:

> ISTR they got treated with triclosan, which not only gets eliminated
> (although probably gradually) by wishdoshering, but the germies have
> started developing resistance tuit. Horse spittles over here have started
> removing triclosan-based antibacterials, and have gone back to ethanol.
> It seems only four things have thus far managed to stymie resistance
> molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.

I don't goove they'd resist HF for long either...

Jaques d'Alltrades

Feb 9, 2004, 1:54:00 AM2/9/04
The message <855c20174cpbkl3f7...@4ax.com>
from Henriette Kress <spamtra...@spamcop.net> contains these words:
> Jaques d'Alltrades <creaki...@foobar.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> > He went away and read up a bit, and came back and tole me I were crect.

> Ver good Pubic Elf Inn Spectre that, admitting he's wrong.

Ho yus. He useter come and read up dairy stuff from my bwk. he left the
wbo and now has a removal and transport company, and does factree/house
clearances.

Favourite hunting-ground for tools, kitchen utensils, ect. He offloaded
on me a *VAST* all-stainless steel construction tinygreeter wot jbexrq -
but is so heavy I can hardly lift it.

JonG

Feb 9, 2004, 3:17:42 AM2/9/04
Lane Gray, Czar Castic wrote:

> It seems only four things have thus far managed to stymie resistance
> molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.

Don't disunforget "Being Stamped On" © Dr Lucy Van Pelt.

--

JonG (Self -Preservation Society No. 37 3/4)

Nearly everything is now legal between consenting adults, except buying
a few pounds of apples. Chris Brown, ukrs

DaveOldBloke

Feb 9, 2004, 3:51:56 AM2/9/04
In article <opr22tl7...@news-server.kc.rr.com>, Cgr...@kc.rr.com
says...
Have you heard of Deborah Barrie?

HAve I asked you that before?
--
Order 1000 pieces of a given atom & get a 10% discount

Richard Robinson

Feb 9, 2004, 12:25:41 PM2/9/04
In article <04gf20p2gigb29goe...@4ax.com>, Marc Wilson wrote:
> In uk.rec.sheds, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk>
> (N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk>) wrote in
>
>|Also I hear they finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't
>|saving the environment after all with paper prices being so low, and
>|since a lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are
>|properly dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
>
> They aren't that hygienic anyway, as they merely take whatever air is lying
> about, heat it and blow it over your hands.
>
> Informed medical opinion: "Like drying your hands in a sneg."
>
> There's also a huge variation in the effectiveness of even that: dryers vary
> from "RAF Surplus Jump-Jet Engine" to "Consumptive Schoolgirl" in terms of
> air volume.

But, apart from the possibility of extra whatnots growing in the nice
warmth, this is the same air that your hands wave around in all the rest of
the time ?

--
Richard Robinson

If you want my address, put beulah where the spam trap is.

Sleepalot

Feb 9, 2004, 12:48:13 PM2/9/04
Guy King <guy....@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>The message <c052gk$12pc0h$1...@ID-183282.news.uni-berlin.de>
>from "Cumberpach" <firstplatz.@virgin.net> contains these words:
>
>> (Whorled famous tube http://tinyurl.com/3eyoa )
>
>I used to live about 1/8" off the bottom right corner of that map.

You're lucky. All we 'ad were an 'ole int' ground.

--
Sleepalot aa #1385

Duncan Duck

Feb 9, 2004, 10:25:28 AM2/9/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:12:50 -0800, Lane Gray, Czar Castic wrote:
[chopping boards]

> ISTR they got treated with triclosan, which not only gets eliminated
> (although probably gradually) by wishdoshering, but the germies have
> started developing resistance tuit. Horse spittles over here have
> started removing triclosan-based antibacterials, and have gone back to
> ethanol.

> It seems only four things have thus far managed to stymie resistance
> molishment so far; ethanol, bleach, peroxide and boiling.

A year or two ago, I heard that iodine was being suggested for killing
off antibiotic-resistant bacteria. I don't xabj if anything came of
it, though.

--
Paul Clark you.missed -> umist to reply
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?

Duncan Duck

Feb 9, 2004, 10:22:53 AM2/9/04
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:53:51 +0000, Oiorpata wrote:

> It annoys me that the bog doors over here always open inwards so you

> have to pull on a handle to open them. S'much nicer if they open
> outwards, so's you can just give them a push with your elbow, thusly
> avoiding all the bacteria from the people who never wash their hands.

But then you have to pull them to close them.

Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Feb 9, 2004, 6:49:09 PM2/9/04
On 9 Feb 2004 17:25:41 GMT, Richard Robinson <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> In article <04gf20p2gigb29goe...@4ax.com>, Marc Wilson
> wrote:
>> In uk.rec.sheds, N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk>
>> (N.L...@WKX.KM.EU <dave...@ukmisc.org.uk>) wrote in
>>
>> |Also I hear they finally worked out that hot air hand dryers aren't
>> |saving the environment after all with paper prices being so low, and
>> |since a lot of people can't be arsed to wait until their hands are
>> |properly dry coz it takes so long they're no more hygenic either.
>>
>> They aren't that hygienic anyway, as they merely take whatever air is
>> lying
>> about, heat it and blow it over your hands.
>>
>> Informed medical opinion: "Like drying your hands in a sneg."
>>
>> There's also a huge variation in the effectiveness of even that: dryers
>> vary
>> from "RAF Surplus Jump-Jet Engine" to "Consumptive Schoolgirl" in terms
>> of
>> air volume.
>
> But, apart from the possibility of extra whatnots growing in the nice
> warmth, this is the same air that your hands wave around in all the rest
> of
> the time ?

But that seems a lot like saying "Other than its poisonous and corrosive
effects, Drano's safe to drink."
The problem with them lies in that the organisms grow quite well in the
dryers, and then their offspring jump out at you in the airflow.

Jaques d'Alltrades

Feb 9, 2004, 9:08:40 PM2/9/04
The message <0bqc2094j0j8t0fki...@4ax.com>
from Oiorpata <oior...@hotmail.com> contains these words:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:39:49 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine
> <Fr...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >There're lotsa people in pubs etc who don't even wash their hands after
> >having a pee. That annoys me. I usually open the pub bog door wiv my
> >ickle finger at the end of the handle.

> It annoys me that the bog doors over here always open inwards so you
> have to pull on a handle to open them. S'much nicer if they open
> outwards, so's you can just give them a push with your elbow, thusly
> avoiding all the bacteria from the people who never wash their hands.

And knock the lager out of the hand of some belligerant inebriate
standing in fromt of it?

It is loading more messages.