Information for TT Newbies

1 view

Champ

May 30, 2006, 3:13:09 PM5/30/06
This a print out and keep public service announcement, for those good
souls of UKRM about to visit the TT for the first time.

1. Watch some of the racing, even if you're not usually bothered by
it - it's a unique, and often breathtaking experience

2. Plan ahead to get to your viewing spot. Remember that roads close
a pretty good hour or so before racing starts, and once they close
it's pretty hard to get anywhere. And, every other bugger is trying
to get somewhere too. If you're going to be somewhere stranded while
the roads are closed, make sure there's either a pub handy, or you
have waterproofs and warm clothes. Weather is changeable.

3. Watch from the fast places. The TT is all about speed. Lots of
people in or near Douglas are too disorganised to get out on the
course, and end up 10 deep at Quarterbridge, watching bikes go round a
tight corner at 40mph. The only places in Douglas worth watching are
St Ninians Crossroads or Ago's Leap, and these places get very busy
very early. Instead, get yourself out round the course and watch the
bikes doing 150 between the hedges. My favourites are (in order round
the course):
- Ballaspur
- the end of Cronky-y-voddy straight
- Barregarrow top
- Barrewarrow bottom
- Rhencullen (very popular - get there early)
- Quarry Bends
- Alpine Cottage
- Ballacry
- Glentrammen
- Hillberry (also popular, but has a grandstand)

4. Have a plan B if the weather looks bad. Best to find somewhere
with a pub, so you can sit inside, and eat and drink. The obvious
ones are
- The Crosby (just a straight, but incredibly fast)
- The Hawthorn (ditto)
- Glenn Helen Hotel (in the trees, and quite spectacular)
- The Raven
- Ginger Hall (my favourite, as it gives access to other places)
- The Swan and The Central Hotel, Parliament Sqaure, Ramsey
- The Creg
Most of these don't give the best view, being either on straights or
quite slow corners.

5. Have a plan C if the weather looks perfect - get up on the
mountain. For most viewing spots up there, you're stuck all day, so
you want to be sure to have good weather, but if the forecast is good
it's well worth it. Take some sarnies, and get a suntan (really - the
air is very unpoluted up there - I've done it).

6. Make sure you've got a small portable radio, that recieves AM
(1368). The commentary transforms the racing from a procession of
noisy blurs into a nailbiting drama.

7. Get an Ordnance Survey map. Being able to find your way around,
especially when the course is closed, is incredibly useful.

8. Treat the 30 and 40 limits with huge respect. You stand a *very*
good chance of getting nicked even if only 5mph over the limit.
AFAIK, they police don't tend to use radar guns in the 50 and 60
limits (apart from one place just before Ballig Bridge in the Glen
Helen section) but they do use unmarked cars. As I found out a couple
of years ago. Usual mainland rules apply on out of town but speed
limited roads - be aware of what you're overtaking.

9. In the GLF sections, there really is no limit - enjoy it while it
lasts. A couple of weeks ago I overtook a police car on the mountain
- fantastic sensation.

10. Enjoy the spectacle on Mad Sunday. It's not great riding (too
busy), but after an obligatory lap, find somewhere good to sit and
watch the bikes go by. You will see at least one example of every
bike you've ever heard of, and several you haven't. Watch out for the
Purple Helmets and the outfit with and upright piano mounted on it,
with rider and pianist both dressed in tailcoats.

11. Visit Ramsey Sprint on Tuesday. Enter if you like.

12. DFC.

--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle

Bear

May 30, 2006, 3:38:05 PM5/30/06
On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:13:09 +0100, Champ said ...

> This a print out and keep public service announcement, for those good
> souls of UKRM about to visit the TT for the first time.

Coo. Cheers for that.

> 12. DFC.

I'll be fine. I'm on Dunlop 207RRs; God's Own Tyre.
--
Bear
BMW 740iL - Stately Progress For The Mature Gentleman

Mark

May 30, 2006, 4:03:30 PM5/30/06
Champ wrote:
>> This a print out and keep public service announcement,
>> for those good souls of UKRM about to visit the TT for
>> the first time.

Printed and packed!

Thanks

Monz

May 30, 2006, 4:05:41 PM5/30/06

"Bear" <bastard...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:13:09 +0100, Champ said ...
>> This a print out and keep public service announcement, for those good
>> souls of UKRM about to visit the TT for the first time.
>
> Coo. Cheers for that.
>
>> 12. DFC.
>
> I'll be fine. I'm on Dunlop 207RRs; God's Own Tyre.

<splutter>

--
Monz
Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

Andy Bonwick

May 30, 2006, 4:19:38 PM5/30/06
On Tue, 30 May 2006 21:05:41 +0100, "Monz" <see...@email.net> wrote:

>"Bear" <bastard...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:13:09 +0100, Champ said ...
>>> This a print out and keep public service announcement, for those good
>>> souls of UKRM about to visit the TT for the first time.
>>
>> Coo. Cheers for that.
>>
>>> 12. DFC.
>>
>> I'll be fine. I'm on Dunlop 207RRs; God's Own Tyre.
>
><splutter>

Swallow quickly.

Message has been deleted

Daz

May 30, 2006, 4:55:03 PM5/30/06
On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:13:09 +0100, Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:

<snip useful stuff>

I've just shut all the PC stuff down except the laptop in readiness
for a decent nights kip. Would someone going tomorrow be kind enough
to print me off a copy of this please?

--
Daz

Bear

May 30, 2006, 4:57:16 PM5/30/06
On Tue, 30 May 2006 21:55:03 +0100, Daz said ...

Done.

Andy Bonwick

May 30, 2006, 4:58:34 PM5/30/06

Just write "don't fucking crash" on the inside of your visor and
you've got it covered. I didn't bother last time I went and look what
happened.

Bear

May 30, 2006, 5:04:56 PM5/30/06
On Tue, 30 May 2006 21:58:34 +0100, Andy Bonwick said ...

<points to duct tape>

Bad Lurch! Lurch no get banana!

Wicked Uncle Nigel

May 30, 2006, 6:11:52 PM5/30/06
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Champ
<ne...@champ.org.uk> typed

>This a print out and keep public service announcement, for those good
>souls of UKRM about to visit the TT for the first time.

What a nice man.

Thanks, matey.

--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - Podium Placed Ducati Race Engineer

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
SBS#39 OMF#6 Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (On its hols) Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"
Suzuki TS250 "The Africa Single" Yamaha GTS1000 Honda ST1100 wiv trailer

vulgarandmischevious

May 30, 2006, 10:42:46 PM5/30/06
Champ wrote:

>10. Enjoy the spectacle on Mad Sunday.

Or, if you're me and Bonwick: have 8 pints of lager before midday in
the pub, watching football. Carry on in the same manner all
afternoon.

Andy Bonwick

May 31, 2006, 1:06:44 AM5/31/06

We rock.

Champ

May 31, 2006, 4:09:26 AM5/31/06
On Wed, 31 May 2006 05:42:46 +0300, vulgarandmischevious
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

If you like. I would say that you can enjoy footie and beer on lots
of occassion, in lots of locations, whereas Mad Sunday only happens in
one place, once a year. But then, footie and beer rank pretty low in
my world, so maybe I'm missing something.
--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo

vulgarandmischevious

May 31, 2006, 7:26:56 AM5/31/06
Champ wrote:

>On Wed, 31 May 2006 05:42:46 +0300, vulgarandmischevious
><m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Champ wrote:
>>
>>>10. Enjoy the spectacle on Mad Sunday.
>>
>>Or, if you're me and Bonwick: have 8 pints of lager before midday in
>>the pub, watching football. Carry on in the same manner all
>>afternoon.
>
>If you like. I would say that you can enjoy footie and beer on lots
>of occassion, in lots of locations, whereas Mad Sunday only happens in
>one place, once a year.

I don't see Bonwick much, so the opportunity to sit in the pub with
him from 0930 is an inestimable pleasure, and preferable to taking a
HOG-pace trundle around overcrowded roads and trying not to become one
of that year's statistics.