That made Oi chuckle

Wicked Uncle Nigel

Feb 14, 2011, 5:23:20 PM2/14/11
So this evening I was following (at a distance) a Tonka Toy pickup along
a road near WUNderland. We reached a long straight and I was idly
contemplating an overtake when an oncoming car appeared.

I instantly spotted the fact that he was on main-beam, and that the
lights were those bloody awful HID jobs.

Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
response.

And then...

The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.

The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
under the pressure of departing photons.

The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).

I laughed. A lot.

Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a *big*
thumbs-up. Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive. :^)

--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

Contains moderate bullshit and simulated opinions.

Colin Irvine

Feb 14, 2011, 5:43:14 PM2/14/11
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:23:20 +0000, Wicked Uncle Nigel squeezed out
the following:

>So this evening I was following (at a distance) a Tonka Toy pickup along
>a road near WUNderland. We reached a long straight and I was idly
>contemplating an overtake when an oncoming car appeared.
>
>I instantly spotted the fact that he was on main-beam, and that the
>lights were those bloody awful HID jobs.
>
>Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
>reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
>response.
>
>And then...
>
>The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
>The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
>could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
>under the pressure of departing photons.
>
>The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
>I laughed. A lot.
>
>Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a *big*
>thumbs-up. Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive. :^)

Nice.

--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5

CT

Feb 15, 2011, 4:49:30 AM2/15/11
Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:

> So this evening I was following (at a distance) a Tonka Toy pickup
> along a road near WUNderland. We reached a long straight and I was
> idly contemplating an overtake when an oncoming car appeared.
>
> I instantly spotted the fact that he was on main-beam, and that the
> lights were those bloody awful HID jobs.
>
> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
> reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
> response.
>
> And then...
>
> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
> could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
> under the pressure of departing photons.
>
> The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
> I laughed. A lot.
>

> Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a big

> thumbs-up. Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive.
> :^)

Lovely.

I used to do similar[1] when I had spots fitted to the crash bars of my
GS550E.

[1] although not to *quite* as great an effect

--
Chris

Message has been deleted

Wicked Uncle Nigel

Feb 15, 2011, 8:10:35 AM2/15/11
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Switters
<m...@privacy.net> typed

>On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:23:20 GMT, Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:
>
>> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
>> could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
>> under the pressure of departing photons.
>
>heh. Nicely put.

>> The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
>Yeah, but did he dip his lights?

No, he didn't. On account of being unable to see the switch due the
smoke from his eyeballs, I imagine.

Krusty

Feb 15, 2011, 8:32:22 AM2/15/11
Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:

> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
> reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
> response.
>
> And then...
>
> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights.

Lovely. I've stuck a couple of 100w spotlights on the Outlander & found
a suitably deserted bit of straight road last night to align them. I
don't know what the range is, but it's longer than I'll ever need, &
judging by the smoke coming off the lenses I'll be sorted if I ever
have the urge to fry some bacon at the side of the road.

--
Krusty

Raptor 1000 MV 750 Senna Tiger 955i Tiger 885 Fantic Hiro 250

Hog

Feb 15, 2011, 8:35:13 AM2/15/11
Krusty wrote:
> Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:
>
>> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
>> reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
>> response.
>>
>> And then...
>>
>> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>>
>> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights.
>
> Lovely. I've stuck a couple of 100w spotlights on the Outlander &
> found a suitably deserted bit of straight road last night to align
> them. I don't know what the range is, but it's longer than I'll ever
> need, & judging by the smoke coming off the lenses I'll be sorted if
> I ever have the urge to fry some bacon at the side of the road.

You need some nice HID spotlights you do

--
Hog

Krusty

Feb 15, 2011, 8:59:09 AM2/15/11
Hog wrote:

I really don't you know. The ones I've got are effectively free (had
them over 15 years) & give more than enough light.

Hog

Feb 15, 2011, 9:01:16 AM2/15/11

Throw a rock into the pool why dontcha

--
Hog

Nige

Feb 15, 2011, 2:02:54 PM2/15/11

"Krusty" <dontw...@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

> Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:
>
>> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
>> reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
>> response.
>>
>> And then...
>>
>> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>>
>> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights.
>
> Lovely. I've stuck a couple of 100w spotlights on the Outlander & found
> a suitably deserted bit of straight road last night to align them. I
> don't know what the range is, but it's longer than I'll ever need, &
> judging by the smoke coming off the lenses I'll be sorted if I ever
> have the urge to fry some bacon at the side of the road.

I once bought a second hand disco, it had a light bar on the top of the
windscreen with 4 massive fuck off jobbies & a light bar on the bumper with
another 4, but only 2 worked. Jesus fucking christ, it was like daylight :)

I took 'em off & flogged them.

SIRPip

Feb 15, 2011, 3:13:45 PM2/15/11
Nige wrote:

> I took 'em off & flogged them.

That's a .sig line for you forever, Nige.

--
SIRPip: B12

Nige

Feb 15, 2011, 4:23:36 PM2/15/11

"SIRPip" <ginge...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Nige wrote:
>
>> I took 'em off & flogged them.
>
> That's a .sig line for you forever, Nige.

Quite....

Cab

Feb 15, 2011, 4:29:49 PM2/15/11
Wicked Uncle Nigel wibbled forthrightly:

> So this evening I was following (at a distance) a Tonka Toy pickup
> along a road near WUNderland. We reached a long straight and I was
> idly contemplating an overtake when an oncoming car appeared.
>
> I instantly spotted the fact that he was on main-beam, and that the
> lights were those bloody awful HID jobs.
>
> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
> reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
> response.
>
> And then...
>
> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
> could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
> under the pressure of departing photons.
>
> The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
> I laughed. A lot.
>

> Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a big

> thumbs-up. Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive.
> :^)

<VBG>

--
Cab :^) - Cogito sumere potum alterum
Z1000ABS : http://www.rosbif.org/ukrm

Thomas

Feb 16, 2011, 3:46:56 AM2/16/11
On Feb 14, 2:23 pm, Wicked Uncle Nigel <w...@wicked-uncle-nigel.me.uk>
wrote:

> So this evening I was following (at a distance) a Tonka Toy pickup along
> a road near WUNderland. We reached a long straight and I was idly
> contemplating an overtake when an oncoming car appeared.
>
> I instantly spotted the fact that he was on main-beam, and that the
> lights were those bloody awful HID jobs.
>
> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a
> reminder. To no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No
> response.
>
> And then...
>
> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
> could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
> under the pressure of departing photons.
>
> The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
> I laughed. A lot.
>
> Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a *big*
> thumbs-up. Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive. :^)

I often wish I had directional remote control mirrors, so when an
idiot pulls up behind me at a stop with lights that melt my backside,
I could return the favor by directing it back at his eyes.

Grimly Curmudgeon

Feb 16, 2011, 10:00:00 AM2/16/11
drugs began to take hold. I remember Thomas <keen...@gmail.com> saying
something like:

>I often wish I had directional remote control mirrors, so when an
>idiot pulls up behind me at a stop with lights that melt my backside,
>I could return the favor by directing it back at his eyes.

I used to have a fog light mounted as a reversing light wiv switch on
the dash. Did the trick.

LucretiaBorgia

Feb 16, 2011, 11:02:17 AM2/16/11
On 14/02/2011 22:23, Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:
<schnipp>

> And then...
>
> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
> could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
> under the pressure of departing photons.

Laugh. Thanks for that. Cheered me up that has.

--
*^* Lucretia *^*

Lozzo

Feb 16, 2011, 5:18:40 PM2/16/11
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Had one of those on a Mini once, it worked a treat when someone
wouldn't turn his high beam off when following

--
Lozzo
Versys 650 Inter-Continental Hyperbolistic Missile , CBR600F-W racebike

Wicked Uncle Nigel

Feb 16, 2011, 5:30:25 PM2/16/11
Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Lozzo
<lo...@lozzo.org.uk> typed

>Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
>
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember Thomas <keen...@gmail.com>
>> saying something like:
>>
>> > I often wish I had directional remote control mirrors, so when an
>> > idiot pulls up behind me at a stop with lights that melt my
>> > backside, I could return the favor by directing it back at his eyes.
>>
>> I used to have a fog light mounted as a reversing light wiv switch on
>> the dash. Did the trick.
>
>Had one of those on a Mini once, it worked a treat when someone
>wouldn't turn his high beam off when following

I have an auto-dimming mirror. Works even better. :^)

Lozzo

Feb 16, 2011, 5:46:08 PM2/16/11
Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:

> I have an auto-dimming mirror. Works even better. :^)

So do I now, but in a SO1971M you don't get such luxuries.

Fraser Johnston

Feb 17, 2011, 2:40:24 AM2/17/11

"Wicked Uncle Nigel" <w...@wicked-uncle-nigel.me.uk> wrote in message

> So this evening I was following (at a distance) a Tonka Toy pickup along a
> road near WUNderland. We reached a long straight and I was idly contemplating
> an overtake when an oncoming car appeared.
>
> I instantly spotted the fact that he was on main-beam, and that the lights
> were those bloody awful HID jobs.
>
> Matey in the Tonka Toy gave him a quick flick of main beam as a reminder. To
> no effect. So he gave him a slightly longer one. No response.
>
> And then...
>
> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You could
> have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly under the
> pressure of departing photons.
>
> The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
> I laughed. A lot.
>
> Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a *big* thumbs-up.
> Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive. :^)

I remember my old man doing that with a pair of Cibie super oscars. Turned out
the high beam offender was a cop car. Oh how we laughed as my old man tried to
talk his way out of it.

Fraser

SIRPip

Feb 18, 2011, 4:22:26 AM2/18/11
Lozzo wrote:

> Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

> > I used to have a fog light mounted as a reversing light wiv switch
> > on the dash. Did the trick.
>
> Had one of those on a Mini once, it worked a treat when someone
> wouldn't turn his high beam off when following

Aha! Mounted on the upper end of the bootlid, in the approved works
style?

I had a kiddie flash one like that at me (although not from a Mini) as
he thought my lights were a bit bright. I was on dipped beam at the
time, although my use of (then uncommon) Cibie headlights and halogen
bulbs deceived him. I educated him by bringing the other four Cibie
units into play, two of which were about level with his rear window.
He parked - somewhat unconventionally, but remarkably quickly.

--
SIRPip: B12

SIRPip

Feb 18, 2011, 4:33:13 AM2/18/11
Fraser Johnston wrote:

[illuminating the whole world]

> I remember my old man doing that with a pair of Cibie super oscars.
> Turned out the high beam offender was a cop car. Oh how we laughed
> as my old man tried to talk his way out of it.

Ah, Super Oscars. Great lights for their time, prolly the best
available until the mid-80s. I used to have four, mounted two-up,
two-down on angle-iron mounts sticking out from the front of the car
like scaffolding. Wrote off a nearly-new Mazda with them, when he
stopped halfway onto a roundabout when I was looking to see if I could
get out as well - and I could have and so could the car behind me, but
he decided he didn't want to, so I gave him a right good shove up the
arse.

Super Oscars had spring-mounted lenses that would retract into the
shell, given a push. The total damage to my Escort was the lights -
not broken, just creased across the backs of the shells where the
bonnet lip made contact. Made a mess of his bootlid (pushed it forward
into the bodyshell below the rear screen) and back panel, and the
bracketry took out his bumper. Written off.

The assessors didn't believe it until they had minutely inspected my
car and found there was no damage to the front end at all - but as
there was no contact, I didn't find that surprising - after all, I was
only doing about 10mph when I hit him. I had modified the bracketry to
a less aggresive format by then, mind, in light of the furore.

--
SIRPip: B12

SIRPip

Feb 18, 2011, 4:50:10 AM2/18/11
Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:

> The Whole Fucking World Lit Up.
>
> The entire front end of the Tonka Toy must have been spotlights. You
> could have seen it from the moon. I swear the truck slowed slightly
> under the pressure of departing photons.

Having run the odd mobile solar system in the past, there is a
perceptible stagger when going from dip beam to realising full
illumination potential. In the days of the Alf-twincammed Escort, the
additional kilowatt of lighting caused such drag on the alternators (I
had a friend who was the absolute bollocks with car wiring (when he was
sober (which wasn't very often))) and he sorted me a second alternator
running on the other side, a split-charge system for the second battery
for the 24V start and a bank of relays for all the above set into the
dash with the jolly wonderful fusebox of his own design.

With all the switches down, flicking the stalk for main beam induced a
bang as all the relays went over together and the engine would stop if
running at less than 2000 rpm. This effect could still be felt when
doing something like crossing a junction, when I'd hit the lighting
master switch for a second to check there wasn't anything crossing our
path and then turn them back on again. Even charging along in second
gear at ~50mph and 5000 rpm, the motor would falter as the world went
white again.

> The oncoming wanker actually stopped (quite quickly).
>
> I laughed. A lot.
>

> Shortly afterwards I passed the Tonka Toy and gave him a big

> thumbs-up. Oddly enough, his dipped beams were totally inoffensive.
> :^)

VBG. In a vicariously smug sort of way.

--
SIRPip: B12

Gyp

Feb 18, 2011, 10:47:18 AM2/18/11
On 18/02/2011 09:22, SIRPip wrote:

> I had a kiddie flash one like that at me (although not from a Mini) as
> he thought my lights were a bit bright. I was on dipped beam at the
> time, although my use of (then uncommon) Cibie headlights and halogen
> bulbs deceived him. I educated him by bringing the other four Cibie
> units into play, two of which were about level with his rear window.
> He parked - somewhat unconventionally, but remarkably quickly.

I used to have 2 pairs of super oscars on my BX; 2 driving, 2 spot.
Still got 'em. Should ebay them really.

Remarkably good for shifting folk that were hogging the middle lane.

--
Gyp

SIRPip

Feb 18, 2011, 4:21:32 PM2/18/11
Gyp wrote:

Heh. Suntan on the back of the neck, Sir?

--
SIRPip: B12