Fresh Butter Beans

Plum

Oct 18, 2010, 12:32:21 PM10/18/10
Has anyone ever eaten fresh butter beans? I think they are the delicious
large beans we had in Greece but I have only ever seen the dried sort in
England, including those reconstituted in tins.

More to the point - has anyone ever grown them in UK? Never seen any seed
beans.

Rusty Hinge

Oct 18, 2010, 1:41:53 PM10/18/10

Tried - using grocers' seed - but the crop was zilch.

--
Rusty

Dave Hill

Oct 18, 2010, 2:21:46 PM10/18/10
On 18 Oct, 18:41, Rusty Hinge <rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk>
wrote:

I must admit I can't stand ant form of seed bean, but I remember hen I
was in boardig school in the 50's they used to serve butter beans, and
from searching I think they were "Big Mama Lima Beans ", you can find
them at
http://www.reimerseeds.com/lima-butter-beans_585.aspx
and they do ship to the UK.
They hae some interesting things in their lists, and I may well try
them this comming season.
David Hill

Derek Turner

Oct 20, 2010, 6:00:03 AM10/20/10
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:32:21 +0100, Plum wrote:

> Has anyone ever eaten fresh butter beans? I think they are the
> delicious large beans we had in Greece

IMBW but I think you will find that 'gigantes' is made from dried beans,
not fresh. It certainly is in all the recipes I have come across.

Message has been deleted

Baz

Oct 20, 2010, 9:38:31 AM10/20/10
"Plum" <chey...@waitrose.com> wrote in

Now you mention it I miss butter beans from my school days.
Below is a link and if I can fin a space in my garen gonna give some a try.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/vegging-out/butter-bean-seeds_
12941.html

Baz
BTW you will have to copy the link and paste it to your web browser.

Message has been deleted

kay

Oct 21, 2010, 12:49:43 AM10/21/10

having eaten them several times in the last week ... 1) according to one
menu they're Lima beans (and certainly match my memory of lima beans) 2)
all the ones we had were the dried beans - just properly cooked, until
tender.

--
kay

Rusty Hinge

Oct 21, 2010, 10:25:12 AM10/21/10
kay wrote:

> having eaten them several times in the last week ... 1) according to one
> menu they're Lima beans (and certainly match my memory of lima beans) 2)
> all the ones we had were the dried beans - just properly cooked, until
> tender.

Many recipes recommend soaking in cold water with some added bicarbonate
of soda.

I leave out the soda, and enjoy the slightly crunchy texture.

--
Rusty