Cycle computer recommendations (yet again)

1 view

D.M. Procida

Sep 5, 2005, 10:59:05 AM9/5/05
Sorry, I know it's a perennial subject.

Having started my new job today - after nearly ten years I am no longer
Apple Juice, I am now a trainee school teacher - I've found a place to
park the bike and have a shower when I get in in the mornings.

I've also found a route, and I think it will be my regular route
<http://tinyurl.com/a3xu7> and to keep track of my progress in becoming
alarmingly fit a cycle computer might be a good thing to have. To
satisfy the ridiculous nerd in me, one which can upload data to a Mac
for further dicking about with would be nice, so, any suggestions?

Daniele

aj...@york.ac.uk

Sep 5, 2005, 11:12:52 AM9/5/05
D.M. Procida wrote:
> alarmingly fit a cycle computer might be a good thing to have. To
> satisfy the ridiculous nerd in me, one which can upload data to a Mac
> for further dicking about with would be nice, so, any suggestions?

The top-end Polar HRM's (that do distance, altitude etc etc) can upload
to a Mac via some third party software, the bookmark for which I can't
find at the mo....

You'll need a serial->USB dongle as well.

I've got a S720i and it's a fun bit of kit. I don't bother with the computer
upload stuff thoughl.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Colin Blackburn

Sep 5, 2005, 11:22:44 AM9/5/05
aj...@york.ac.uk wrote:
> D.M. Procida wrote:
>
>>alarmingly fit a cycle computer might be a good thing to have. To
>>satisfy the ridiculous nerd in me, one which can upload data to a Mac
>>for further dicking about with would be nice, so, any suggestions?
>

> The top-end Polar HRM's (that do distance, altitude etc etc) can upload
> to a Mac via some third party software, the bookmark for which I can't
> find at the mo....

Top end Suunto HRMs similarly. The T6 with a bikePOD would provide lots
of data (including altitude) but whether it is straight forward to
upload to a Mac, or whether it is affordable by a trainee school teacher
is another thing.

Colin

PhilO

Sep 5, 2005, 11:58:29 AM9/5/05

D.M. Procida wrote:
> satisfy the ridiculous nerd in me, one which can upload data to a Mac
> for further dicking about with would be nice, so, any suggestions?
>
> Daniele

What are you planning to upload. Your average computer will record
time, distance and max & average speed. You won't need an interface for
that because paper and pencil (or a reasonable memory) will do the job
faster.

If you are interested in heart rate and altitude, there is the
Ciclomaster CM414 Alti M. Are you really interested in your heart rate
over 7 miles though?

PhilO

aj...@york.ac.uk

Sep 5, 2005, 11:59:25 AM9/5/05
aj...@york.ac.uk wrote:

> The top-end Polar HRM's (that do distance, altitude etc etc) can upload
> to a Mac via some third party software, the bookmark for which I can't
> find at the mo....

http://www.ismarttrain.com/

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Craig Wallace

Sep 5, 2005, 12:07:52 PM9/5/05

What about a GPS reciever?
Probably cheaper than than the top-end Polar HRMs, and can give you lots
of data for transferring to a computer, i.e. speed, altitude, etc all
along the route.
I know there is some Mac software compatible with Garmins and Magellans,
though I'm not sure of the details.

It does have the disadvantages of battery life and size (relative to a
cycle computer).

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk

John Hearns

Sep 5, 2005, 12:31:02 PM9/5/05
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:59:05 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

> Sorry, I know it's a perennial subject.
>
> Having started my new job today - after nearly ten years I am no longer
> Apple Juice, I am now a trainee school teacher - I've found a place to
> park the bike and have a shower when I get in in the mornings.

Just buy one from Tchibo.
In fact, buy two while you are there.
Bike computers get lost/stolen/sat upon with regularity.
As others say, if you want to keep a log you could use pencil and
paper, the transfer to the Mac each week.

D.M. Procida

Sep 5, 2005, 12:57:17 PM9/5/05
Colin Blackburn <colin.b...@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> > The top-end Polar HRM's (that do distance, altitude etc etc) can upload
> > to a Mac via some third party software, the bookmark for which I can't
> > find at the mo....
>
> Top end Suunto HRMs similarly. The T6 with a bikePOD would provide lots
> of data (including altitude) but whether it is straight forward to
> upload to a Mac, or whether it is affordable by a trainee school teacher
> is another thing.

Wow, er, expensive, aren't they?

I think I'd settle for something more downmarket. I'm not that
interested in my heart rate (what do you think I am, some kind of nerd?)
but I want to be able to boast about how fast I go.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice www.apple-juice.co.uk
Chapter Arts Centre

Simon Brooke

Sep 5, 2005, 1:05:50 PM9/5/05
in message
<1h2fadw.1ym8g8s1w8d30bN%real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk>,

D.M. Procida ('real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk') wrote:

> Sorry, I know it's a perennial subject.
>
> Having started my new job today - after nearly ten years I am no longer
> Apple Juice, I am now a trainee school teacher - I've found a place to
> park the bike and have a shower when I get in in the mornings.

A slight disrecommendation for the Campagnolo ErgoBrain. It's a great
unit when it works, having a backlight function is great for audax, the
automatic gearing indicator is neat, and being able to switch modes
without taking your hands off the hoods is really, really useful.

But...

Sample of one, and all that...

My first battery lasted four months, which is fine. My second lasted a
week, which is not so good. My third lasted three days. So in June I
returned my then less than six month old unit to my LBS as a warranty
claim, and, errm, that's the last I've seen of it. Something is supposed
to be Being Done, but the summer is gone and I've been without for
pretty much the whole of it. And I do think that, when you buy something
that is so significantly more expensive than its competitors, not only
should the unit be bloody good but the service should be bloody good
too.

I /think/ the beastie didn't like a very wet audax. But I also think that
a £100 cycle computer ought to be reasonably weatherproof.

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.

Charlie Allen

Sep 5, 2005, 1:43:51 PM9/5/05

Make that a sample of 2 (or 3 if you count the replacement under
warranty). My ErgoBrain refused to tell me what gear I was in; maybe not
a big deal but when you pay that sort of money you expect it to work. I
returned it to LBS who agreed & got a replacement which they fitted but
found to be worse. So, they have recommended that I give up on it and
try another type. The trouble is, I find the functions on it really
useful and rare in other models. Ideally I want a backlight (commute
home in the dark for several months of the year), cadence and remote
operation so am now looking at the Cateye CC-CD300DW. Does anybody have
a good or bad word to say about it?

JBB

Sep 5, 2005, 7:14:50 PM9/5/05

From: "Charlie Allen" <charli...@nospam.tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Cycle computer recommendations (yet again)
Date: 05 September 2005 18:43

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message
> <1h2fadw.1ym8g8s1w8d30bN%real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk>,
> D.M. Procida ('real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk') wrote:
>

>>Sorry, I know it's a perennial subject.
>>
>>Having started my new job today - after nearly ten years I am no longer
>>Apple Juice, I am now a trainee school teacher - I've found a place to
>>park the bike and have a shower when I get in in the mornings.
>

> A slight disrecommendation for the Campagnolo ErgoBrain. It's a great
> unit when it works, having a backlight function is great for audax, the
> automatic gearing indicator is neat, and being able to switch modes
> without taking your hands off the hoods is really, really useful.
>
> But...
>
> Sample of one, and all that...
>
> My first battery lasted four months, which is fine. My second lasted a
> week, which is not so good. My third lasted three days. So in June I
> returned my then less than six month old unit to my LBS as a warranty
> claim, and, errm, that's the last I've seen of it. Something is supposed
> to be Being Done, but the summer is gone and I've been without for
> pretty much the whole of it. And I do think that, when you buy something
> that is so significantly more expensive than its competitors, not only
> should the unit be bloody good but the service should be bloody good
> too.
>
> I /think/ the beastie didn't like a very wet audax. But I also think that

> a Ł100 cycle computer ought to be reasonably weatherproof.

Make that a sample of 2 (or 3 if you count the replacement under
warranty). My ErgoBrain refused to tell me what gear I was in; maybe not
a big deal but when you pay that sort of money you expect it to work. I
returned it to LBS who agreed & got a replacement which they fitted but
found to be worse. So, they have recommended that I give up on it and
try another type. The trouble is, I find the functions on it really
useful and rare in other models. Ideally I want a backlight (commute
home in the dark for several months of the year), cadence and remote
operation so am now looking at the Cateye CC-CD300DW. Does anybody have
a good or bad word to say about it?

Hmm.. I've had mine for 3 years; used it in the rain and it has always
worked perfectly. This is the 9 speed model, perhaps the 10 speed one is not
so good?

Julia

PhilO

Sep 6, 2005, 4:24:46 AM9/6/05

D.M. Procida wrote:

> Wow, er, expensive, aren't they?
>
> I think I'd settle for something more downmarket. I'm not that
> interested in my heart rate (what do you think I am, some kind of nerd?)
> but I want to be able to boast about how fast I go.
>
> Daniele
> --

Then just get any cycle computer (cheap ones cost less than £10).
They'll all tell you how far you went and your max and average speeds.
Reason they won't be able to download this data is because it's not
worth it. Pencil & paper if you can't remember the 3 numbers. What more
do you want to keep a record of?

Dave Larrington

Sep 6, 2005, 5:42:59 AM9/6/05
Also sprach Charlie Allen

> Make that a sample of 2 (or 3 if you count the replacement under
> warranty). My ErgoBrain refused to tell me what gear I was in; maybe
> not a big deal but when you pay that sort of money you expect it to
> work. I returned it to LBS who agreed & got a replacement which they
> fitted but found to be worse. So, they have recommended that I give
> up on it and try another type. The trouble is, I find the functions
> on it really useful and rare in other models. Ideally I want a
> backlight (commute home in the dark for several months of the year),
> cadence and remote operation so am now looking at the Cateye
> CC-CD300DW. Does anybody have a good or bad word to say about it?

For that price, I should forego the remote business and instead purchase an
Astrale, a Petzl Tikkina head torch and twenty-three pints of BEER...

Ha ha, you fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders!
The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia"

Charlie Allen

Sep 6, 2005, 6:13:10 AM9/6/05
Dave Larrington wrote:
> Also sprach Charlie Allen
>

>>Make that a sample of 2 (or 3 if you count the replacement under
>>warranty). My ErgoBrain refused to tell me what gear I was in; maybe
>>not a big deal but when you pay that sort of money you expect it to
>>work. I returned it to LBS who agreed & got a replacement which they
>>fitted but found to be worse. So, they have recommended that I give
>>up on it and try another type. The trouble is, I find the functions
>>on it really useful and rare in other models. Ideally I want a
>>backlight (commute home in the dark for several months of the year),
>>cadence and remote operation so am now looking at the Cateye
>>CC-CD300DW. Does anybody have a good or bad word to say about it?
>

> For that price, I should forego the remote business and instead purchase an
> Astrale, a Petzl Tikkina head torch and twenty-three pints of BEER...

Yes, I do like that line of thinking & it could be an option! (I will be
getting a full refund for the ErgoBrain & as the prices for the 2 are
similar, it will not involve much of a cash outlay now)

Chris Gerhard

Sep 6, 2005, 6:09:22 AM9/6/05
Charlie Allen wrote:

> Make that a sample of 2 (or 3 if you count the replacement under
> warranty). My ErgoBrain refused to tell me what gear I was in; maybe not
> a big deal but when you pay that sort of money you expect it to work. I
> returned it to LBS who agreed & got a replacement which they fitted but
> found to be worse. So, they have recommended that I give up on it and
> try another type. The trouble is, I find the functions on it really
> useful and rare in other models. Ideally I want a backlight (commute
> home in the dark for several months of the year), cadence and remote
> operation so am now looking at the Cateye CC-CD300DW. Does anybody have
> a good or bad word to say about it?

I've heard similar problems with the ergo brain that were due to the the
G springs and or hanger in the ergo levers being broken. Worth taking a
look to see. If they failed like mine the failure was so gradual I
hardly noticed he indexing being sloppy, until I replaced them.

See the thread "Faulty Campagnola Record ErgoPower Lever?" for details
on how to replace the springs and hanger.

--chris

Charlie Allen

Sep 6, 2005, 6:52:21 AM9/6/05

Thanks for the advice; I will take a look...

Shane Badham

Sep 6, 2005, 4:20:43 PM9/6/05
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Daniele,

I have been using a CatEye Enduro 2 for 4 years. Just replaced the
mounting kit last week (intermittant connection). The computer was OK.

Go for the current Enduro at under £30 its good value.

--
Regards, Shane
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

Matthew Nettle

Sep 8, 2005, 7:18:10 AM9/8/05

I'd very much appreciate it if someone could run through basic
functioning/measuring principles of the electronic gadgets for a person who
hasn't had anything to do with them since throwing away a mechanical one
because the click gave location away in post choir practice bicycle tag
games. I peer at shiny displays of the modern ones, but my steam age
understanding sees nothing but techno-witchcraft.

I think if I understood them, I might get one if it is the case that they no
longer click every time the wheel goes round. I hope one might help me come
to grips with metrication, so it'd be nice if it did temperature as well.

Do they count wheel revs, and if so, does one set them for different sizes or
simply whip out the pencil & envelope to convert to Brompton?

Thanks,
Matt

GrumpyOldFart

Sep 8, 2005, 7:29:26 AM9/8/05

Call me Bob

Sep 8, 2005, 8:31:02 AM9/8/05
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:18:10 +0100, Matthew Nettle <M...@hew.net> wrote:

>I think if I understood them, I might get one if it is the case that they no
>longer click every time the wheel goes round. I hope one might help me come
>to grips with metrication, so it'd be nice if it did temperature as well.
>
>Do they count wheel revs, and if so, does one set them for different sizes or
>simply whip out the pencil & envelope to convert to Brompton?

Yes, they still count wheel revolutions, but silently, so you'll be at
no disadvantage when playing bicycle tag. (Tag! You're it!)

A small and unobtrusive magnet is fixed to (usually) a front wheel
spoke. A sensor is then mounted to the inside of one fork blade and as
the wheel rotates the magnet triggers the sensor switch and a
revolution is counted by the main unit.

When initially installing and setting up the computer you enter the
wheel circumference, so the main unit knows how far you have traveled
for each rev.

Computers come in all kinds of different guises and with different
feature sets. Some are wireless, requiring no connecting wire between
the fork sensor and handlebar mounted main unit, others are wired.
Each have pro's and con's.

The basic features you might want are current speed, average speed,
trip counter, odemeter and max speed. I find it's important to get a
model that has auto stop and start, most do, but a few don't. Without
auto start I often forget to turn it on until x number of miles down
the road.

You can also get models which will display things like your pedaling
cadence, heart rate statistics, all manner of things. Prices start at
about a tenner up to 100 quid and more (crikey!).

Give us an idea of what you think you might want it to do, and we can
probably recommend a few models for you to consider.

"Bob"

Simon Brooke

Sep 8, 2005, 8:51:06 AM9/8/05
in message <0001HW.BF45DC82...@news.claranews.com>, Matthew

Nettle ('M...@hew.net') wrote:

> I'd very much appreciate it if someone could run through basic
> functioning/measuring principles of the electronic gadgets for a person
> who hasn't had anything to do with them since throwing away a
> mechanical one because the click gave location away in post choir
> practice bicycle tag games. I peer at shiny displays of the modern
> ones, but my steam age understanding sees nothing but
> techno-witchcraft.
>
> I think if I understood them, I might get one if it is the case that
> they no longer click every time the wheel goes round. I hope one might
> help me come to grips with metrication, so it'd be nice if it did
> temperature as well.

They all work on a magnet on the wheel which passes close to a sensor
which contains a reed switch. The reed switch does click, but it's very
faint and you won't hear it above road noise.

> Do they count wheel revs

Yes.

> and if so, does one set them for different
> sizes

Yes.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

Matthew Nettle

Sep 8, 2005, 11:59:20 AM9/8/05
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:31:02 +0100, Call me Bob wrote
(in article <qdb0i1df4lgg3sqes...@4ax.com>):

>[...]

> Give us an idea of what you think you might want it to do, and we can
> probably recommend a few models for you to consider.

Thanks very much, that's very kind. I thought I had it sussed when I found
Sheldon's wonderful stuff, but then, filled with his trouble-shooting advice,
I got hopelessly lost in the online catalogues. Wandering between different
computers probably didn't help either.

I want sometimes to understand how far I've gone on a Brompton or a 26" fat
tyre bike and to be able to remove the unit when I go into a shop. None of
the pics I saw gave any clue as to quick release facility.

I did wonder if a wireless one left less nickable stuff one the bike - a blob
on a spoke might attract less larcenous attention than interesting looking
wire.

I'd like to know if I can use the same unit for both bikes, or if I have to
buy two. For example, extensive reprogramming that bears any resemblance to
programming the video recorder would be a good reason for buying two.

It'd be quite nice to know how fast I'm going, but its not essential, and I'd
quite like to know how hot/cold it is.

The Brompton is probably the one I need to deal with first, as its
chicken-out capability is high enough to have encouraged me to venture
further than if I'd been compelled to ride it back as well. I assume if I got
a wire one, the wire would have to be long enough to tie to the front brake
cable for folding, and I wonder if a wireless one has to have clear line of
sight from its mounting to the widget on the front wheel?

I've managed without understanding actual trip distance for years, but
spousal enquiries lately aren't satisfied with "downstream a bit" when she's
considering a joint jaunt.

Matt

Dave Larrington

Sep 8, 2005, 12:06:31 PM9/8/05
Also sprach Matthew Nettle M...@hew.net:

> Thanks very much, that's very kind. I thought I had it sussed when I
> found Sheldon's wonderful stuff, but then, filled with his
> trouble-shooting advice, I got hopelessly lost in the online
> catalogues. Wandering between different computers probably didn't
> help either.
>
> I want sometimes to understand how far I've gone on a Brompton or a
> 26" fat tyre bike and to be able to remove the unit when I go into a
> shop. None of the pics I saw gave any clue as to quick release
> facility.
>
> I did wonder if a wireless one left less nickable stuff one the bike
> - a blob on a spoke might attract less larcenous attention than
> interesting looking wire.
>
> I'd like to know if I can use the same unit for both bikes, or if I
> have to buy two. For example, extensive reprogramming that bears any
> resemblance to programming the video recorder would be a good reason
> for buying two.

Many, though by no means all, allow one to enter two different wheel sizes
and switch relatively easily between the two.

> It'd be quite nice to know how fast I'm going, but its not essential,
> and I'd quite like to know how hot/cold it is.

I have a Trek Incite something-or-other on my mountain bike with a
temperature wossname on it.

Although the hippopotamus hath no sting in its tail, the wise man would
rather be seated upon the back of a bee.

Tim Hall

Sep 8, 2005, 12:16:08 PM9/8/05
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:59:20 +0100, Matthew Nettle <M...@hew.net> wrote:

<snip>

>I want sometimes to understand how far I've gone on a Brompton or a 26" fat
>tyre bike and to be able to remove the unit when I go into a shop. None of
>the pics I saw gave any clue as to quick release facility.

IME all have a quick release, leaving a small plastic bracket on the
handlebars, magnet on wheel and sensor on fork.

>I did wonder if a wireless one left less nickable stuff one the bike - a blob
>on a spoke might attract less larcenous attention than interesting looking
>wire.

The wire is more or less invisible, FSVO invisible. I don't think
being wireless or not will contribute to nickability.

>I'd like to know if I can use the same unit for both bikes, or if I have to
>buy two. For example, extensive reprogramming that bears any resemblance to
>programming the video recorder would be a good reason for buying two.

My Cateye Mity 3 has two wheel settings. As I don't switch between
wheel settings at all, I can't comment how easy this is. You'll need
a second mounting bracket, magnet and sensor as these are more or less
permanent.

<snip>

Tim

Simon Brooke

Sep 8, 2005, 12:57:39 PM9/8/05
in message <0001HW.BF461E68...@news.claranews.com>, Matthew

Nettle ('M...@hew.net') wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:31:02 +0100, Call me Bob wrote
> (in article <qdb0i1df4lgg3sqes...@4ax.com>):
>
>>[...]
>>
>> Give us an idea of what you think you might want it to do, and we can
>> probably recommend a few models for you to consider.
>
> Thanks very much, that's very kind. I thought I had it sussed when I
> found Sheldon's wonderful stuff, but then, filled with his
> trouble-shooting advice, I got hopelessly lost in the online
> catalogues. Wandering between different computers probably didn't help
> either.
>
> I want sometimes to understand how far I've gone on a Brompton or a 26"
> fat tyre bike and to be able to remove the unit when I go into a shop.
> None of the pics I saw gave any clue as to quick release facility.

They pretty much all do quick release - I would guess only the very
cheapest and nastiest don't.

> I did wonder if a wireless one left less nickable stuff one the bike -
> a blob on a spoke might attract less larcenous attention than
> interesting looking wire.

A particularly neat idea is the Mavic Win-Tech which has the transmitter
inside an enlarged quick release skewer handle; but it isn't cheap
(about £75).

> I'd like to know if I can use the same unit for both bikes, or if I
> have to buy two. For example, extensive reprogramming that bears any
> resemblance to programming the video recorder would be a good reason
> for buying two.

You don't /have/ to buy two, because many can be set up to remember the
wheel sizes for two (or more) bikes. But in practice, as you say, it's
probably easier.

> The Brompton is probably the one I need to deal with first, as its
> chicken-out capability is high enough to have encouraged me to venture
> further than if I'd been compelled to ride it back as well. I assume if
> I got a wire one, the wire would have to be long enough to tie to the
> front brake cable for folding,

I find spiralling the computer wire around the brake cable is the
simplest and neatest solution for wired types (although wireless is
obviously neater).

> and I wonder if a wireless one has to
> have clear line of sight from its mounting to the widget on the front
> wheel?

Yes, pretty much.

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18

Alan Braggins

Sep 8, 2005, 1:53:48 PM9/8/05
Simon Brooke wrote:
>in message <0001HW.BF461E68...@news.claranews.com>, Matthew
>Nettle ('M...@hew.net') wrote:
>
>> I want sometimes to understand how far I've gone on a Brompton or a 26"
>> fat tyre bike and to be able to remove the unit when I go into a shop.
>> None of the pics I saw gave any clue as to quick release facility.
>
>They pretty much all do quick release - I would guess only the very
>cheapest and nastiest don't.

The Aldi special offer ones do. Can you get cheaper and nastier?

Call me Bob

Sep 8, 2005, 1:55:11 PM9/8/05
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:59:20 +0100, Matthew Nettle <M...@hew.net> wrote:

>I want sometimes to understand how far I've gone on a Brompton or a 26" fat
>tyre bike and to be able to remove the unit when I go into a shop. None of
>the pics I saw gave any clue as to quick release facility.
>
>I did wonder if a wireless one left less nickable stuff one the bike - a blob
>on a spoke might attract less larcenous attention than interesting looking
>wire.

I don't think I've ever seen one which doesn't release from the bike,
the main head unit that is, the sensor/wire fitting is always
permanently fixed. They'll all quickly clip on and off the bike and
into your pocket whenever necessary.

>I'd like to know if I can use the same unit for both bikes, or if I have to
>buy two. For example, extensive reprogramming that bears any resemblance to
>programming the video recorder would be a good reason for buying two.

Several computers will work with two differently wheeled bikes. Two
I've used do, a Sigma 1600 and a Cateye Mity. You program two
different wheel circumferences and then change the computer mode
between bikes A and B as appropriate.

I don't use the feature myself because I think it's a bit of a faff to
switch the computer setting. Both of them require you to trigger a
little button recessed into the back of the main unit, and you need
something like a paperclip to get at it. It might be fine if perhaps
you don't swap bikes all that often, but I think I'd forget and then
not have anything pointy with me a mile down the road... YMMV.

The other disadvantage is that you'll have to purchase a second
fitting kit to install on the other bike, and they are generally a
good half the price of a complete computer kit, so I'd rather spend
the extra money and do without the juggling.

>It'd be quite nice to know how fast I'm going, but its not essential, and I'd
>quite like to know how hot/cold it is.

They'll all tell you your current speed, I suppose there must be a
couple with temperature reading, but it's not common so you'll have to
hunt that down if it's really a must for you. It probably won't be a
cheap model either.

>The Brompton is probably the one I need to deal with first, as its
>chicken-out capability is high enough to have encouraged me to venture
>further than if I'd been compelled to ride it back as well. I assume if I got
>a wire one, the wire would have to be long enough to tie to the front brake
>cable for folding, and I wonder if a wireless one has to have clear line of
>sight from its mounting to the widget on the front wheel?

Yes, a common route to the front wheel is coiled around the front
brake cable, generally the cables are plenty long enough for this.
I've never played with a brompton so don't know if the folding action
may have computer fitting implications. I'm sure some bromptoneers
here in the group can advise on that.

Wireless models don't necessarily need line of sight, but they do need
to be within a certain distance of the front sensor, and some models
seem more sensitive about this than others. Wireless computers are
simpler to fit, as you don't have to route the wire, but this is a
once only job anyway, and with care can be done very unobtrusively.

A slight drawback with wireless computers is they will pick up
interference from other, sometimes bizarre, sources. So riding past
things like supermarket trolley control points can momentarily give
you speed readings of 80mph :)

I've also found they are a little bit more laggy then wired models,
IME, and so changes in speed etc can take just that extra second or
two to register. Not a big issue though, I suppose.

>I've managed without understanding actual trip distance for years, but
>spousal enquiries lately aren't satisfied with "downstream a bit" when she's
>considering a joint jaunt.

I like knowing how far a particular journey or favourite route is, and
keeping tabs on weekly/monthly mileages is enjoyable for me too.

I've used / still use a Cateye Mity, a Cateye Astrale and also a Sigma
Sport BC 1600. They are all good computers and I'd happily recommend
any of them. They're all wired models, with the Mity and BC 1600 doing
basically the same stuff, the Astrale has the extra feature of
displaying your pedal cadence. They cost about 20 - 30 quid.

I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the Cateye or Sigma
computers, they're both well established and well regarded and they
both have more basic models for a bit less money too. I'm sure other
brands do an equally fine job, but I only have experience of those.

Have a look here at Wiggle and browse the different feature sets /
prices:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProducts.aspx?Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Computers

Wiggle aren't necessarily the cheapest place to buy, but they have a
good selection and descriptions to help you choose.

Shout up if you need more info or fitting help.

POHB

Sep 9, 2005, 3:31:32 AM9/9/05
> I'd quite like to know how hot/cold it is.

The only one I could find that was wireless and tells the temperature
is a YPK. I got mine online from withingtoncycles.

Pete Biggs

Sep 9, 2005, 8:51:00 AM9/9/05
Call me Bob wrote:
> Several computers will work with two differently wheeled bikes. Two
> I've used do, a Sigma 1600 and a Cateye Mity. You program two
> different wheel circumferences and then change the computer mode
> between bikes A and B as appropriate.
>
> I don't use the feature myself because I think it's a bit of a faff to
> switch the computer setting. Both of them require you to trigger a
> little button recessed into the back of the main unit, and you need
> something like a paperclip to get at it. It might be fine if perhaps
> you don't swap bikes all that often, but I think I'd forget and then
> not have anything pointy with me a mile down the road... YMMV.

There's another way with the Cateye Mity 3 (and I guess Mity 8): On Odo
mode, press the Set and Mode buttons together for 3 seconds. Or catch a
hedgehog down the road if you forget that.

~PB

Pete Biggs

Sep 9, 2005, 9:00:40 AM9/9/05
Matthew Nettle wrote:
> I'd very much appreciate it if someone could run through basic
> functioning/measuring principles of the electronic gadgets for a
> person who hasn't had anything to do with them since throwing away a
> mechanical one because the click gave location away in post choir
> practice bicycle tag games. I peer at shiny displays of the modern
> ones, but my steam age understanding sees nothing but
> techno-witchcraft.
>
> I think if I understood them, I might get one if it is the case that
> they no longer click every time the wheel goes round.

Cateye ones make an exquisite "tink" noise as the reed switch triggers but
only choir boys with exceptional hearing will realise you are creeping up
on them.

> I hope one
> might help me come to grips with metrication, so it'd be nice if it
> did temperature as well.

I would like temperature as well but computers that include that are very
few and far between. Manufacturers please take note!

~PB

Dave Larrington

Sep 9, 2005, 10:12:58 AM9/9/05
Also sprach Pete Biggs

> I would like temperature as well but computers that include that are
> very few and far between. Manufacturers please take note!

See above re Trek Incite. Mine does cadence as well, but on the down side
one can't switch the cadence onto the big display like one can with an
Astrale, and the wires appear to be impossible to separate for those of us
with steeds whose wheels and cranks are scarcely within shouting distance of
one another.

We had that Maurits C. Escher in to do some building work once. I
haven't been able to leave the house since.

Matthew Nettle

Sep 11, 2005, 4:18:59 PM9/11/05
Thank you, kind people, I am much enlightened.

Matt