What is the forum web address?

Techno Freak

Jun 13, 2006, 10:27:55 AM6/13/06
Hello all....

I found this forum on a newsgroup that I am viewing as text only through
Outlook Express.

Is there a web based version? If so, what is the website please?

Thanks.

elyob

Jun 13, 2006, 10:31:09 AM6/13/06

"Techno Freak" <fr...@techno-freak.com> wrote in message

No. It is a newsgroup, not a website. They are two different things. You
could, however, view this newsgroup through Google Groups. But most people
will be using Outlook Express or similar program.

Simon Bennett

Jun 13, 2006, 10:32:36 AM6/13/06
Techno Freak wrote:

> I found this forum on a newsgroup that I am viewing as text only
> through Outlook Express.
>
> Is there a web based version? If so, what is the website please?

!

Techno Freak

Jun 13, 2006, 10:42:38 AM6/13/06
That's great, thanks.

I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
stored posts further back.

Thanks.

"Simon Bennett" <si...@widerworld.co.uk> wrote in message

MartinM

Jun 13, 2006, 10:48:00 AM6/13/06
Techno Freak wrote:
> That's great, thanks.
>
> I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
> it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

I didn't even know what usenet; peer to peer / nodal this that and the
other was until I found this NG (well actually uk.rec.subterranea from
which I found urc)

google groups is fine for me..
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.cycling/browse_frm/thread/57254a2a53a8a41a/bf7e677825885d21#bf7e677825885d21

Alistair Gunn

Jun 13, 2006, 11:22:48 AM6/13/06
Techno Freak twisted the electrons to say:

> I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
> it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.

I suspect a great many newsservers only keep (text) posts for about 1
month. Usenet takes up a truly vast amount of diskspace (if you're
carrying alt.binaries!) and it isn't exactly what management call a
"profit centre". (I used to admin a news-server many years ago, IIRC it
had about 0.5Tb of diskspace and we only kept uk.* for about 28 days. Of
course, if we'd sacked off alt.binaries.* and alt.warez.* we'd probably
have been able to half the diskspace and double the retention time!)

> Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
> stored posts further back.

groups.google.co.uk ... if for some reason you really want to read
threads dating "way back when" ...

John Hearns

Jun 13, 2006, 11:06:34 AM6/13/06
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:42:38 +0100, Techno Freak wrote:

> That's great, thanks.
>
> I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
> it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.
>
> Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
> stored posts further back.

Google groups, which used to be www.dejanew.com
indexes Usenet posts, including this group, to the year dot.
(Or dot noodle)

Alan Braggins

Jun 13, 2006, 12:59:57 PM6/13/06
In article <e6milv$np2$1...@nntp.aioe.org>, Techno Freak wrote:
>That's great, thanks.
>
>I just wondered because my news server only goes back a month or so, so if
>it was a website forum I could have gone on there for previous posts.
>
>Looks like I'll just have to shell out for a better news server that has
>stored posts further back.

There is actually a web-based gateway at
http://www.cyclingforums.com/f195-uk.rec.cycling.html
but it's generally considered to be pretty crap, and you may find
some people ignore all posts that come through there.

As other people have said http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling
is a better bet for searching for older stuff anyway.

Whichever method you use, you might want to read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
(Summary - just because Outlook Express stickes your cursor above the
message you are replying to doesn't make that the best place to actually
write a reply.)

Simon Brooke

Jun 13, 2006, 12:30:45 PM6/13/06
in message <e6mhs5$v5l$1...@nntp.aioe.org>, Techno Freak
('fr...@techno-freak.com') wrote:

It is text only. There are very scummy people who wrap a web front end
around the group in order to try and make money out of our conversation,
but as I personally think people who do that should be lynched I'm not
going to recommend any of them.

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
;; We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other

Ian Smith

Jun 13, 2006, 3:03:34 PM6/13/06

www.dejanews.com, I think

It's not all that old - the archive doesn't extend back as far as
my first contribution to this group, for example.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Don Whybrow

Jun 13, 2006, 3:44:57 PM6/13/06
Ian Smith wrote:

> www.dejanews.com, I think
>
> It's not all that old - the archive doesn't extend back as far as
> my first contribution to this group, for example.

I don't know how long you have been posting here, but it has stuff I
posted back in '96.

... and whatever happened to Bigfoot?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Simon Brooke

Jun 13, 2006, 3:15:02 PM6/13/06
in message <pan.2006.06.13...@nospam.com>, John Hearns
('nos...@nospam.com') wrote:

Not quite. Google Groups only indexes back to 1981 (which, nevertheless,
is considerably before my first post in 1985).

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid

Ian Smith

Jun 13, 2006, 4:18:20 PM6/13/06
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Don Whybrow <d...@fwhybrow.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
> >
> > www.dejanews.com, I think
> >
> > It's not all that old - the archive doesn't extend back as far as
> > my first contribution to this group, for example.
>
> I don't know how long you have been posting here, but it has stuff I
> posted back in '96.

The earliest of mine it has is July 7, 1995. However, that message
refers (in the text, not in references headers) to previous postings
which don't seem to be in the database.

Their database claims to have messages back to November 1992, but
there's only one posting in 1992, which is actually obviously one out
of the middle of a thread, then none in 1993, 15 in 1994, 1995 looks
patchy at the start, but better coverage by the end of the year. I
think the archive is reasonable from 1996 onwards.

To be honest, 1995 is about the start of my participation in this
group (or indeed, any group), but it's nice to say google doesn't
cover the start of my participation...

Techno Freak

Jun 14, 2006, 1:49:30 AM6/14/06
Thanks all....

I will take a look at google groups.

Cheers.

"Simon Brooke" <si...@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

normanwisdom

Jun 14, 2006, 3:02:00 AM6/14/06

Ian Blake

Jun 14, 2006, 6:12:11 AM6/14/06

>To be honest, 1995 is about the start of my participation in this
>group (or indeed, any group), but it's nice to say google doesn't
>cover the start of my participation...
>

>regards, Ian SMith

Does this group exist before 1995?
I think I can remember seeing the RFD so it will not be much older I
wasn't interested in bikes before then. I remember the rec.bicycles.*
being the only option. (The signal to noise ratio in
alt.mountain-bike was unacceptable)