Morse-some suggestions

1 view

Colin Shaw

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In an endeavour to open up the debate here are some suggestions
re morse and HF licenses. I apologise to others who
have already posted these ideas and do not claim them as mine:

1. Replace the morse test with a higher level technical exam,
i.e. RAE Part 1 and RAE part 2. Passing Pt1 would give a
license for 50Mhz and above, a pass at Pt2 would give all
bands, all modes except morse. An optional morse test would
be available for those wanting to use morse/apply for reciprocal
licenses.

2. Scarp the morse test and not replace it.

3. Lower the morse test requirement to 5wpm - from what others
have said this could be done now?

4. Do nothing - wait for a change to be forced upon us.

* MidNet OnLine, Coventry, UK *

Mike Willis

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Colin Shaw wrote:

> In an endeavour to open up the debate here are some suggestions
> re morse and HF licenses. I apologise to others who
> have already posted these ideas and do not claim them as mine:
>
> 1. Replace the morse test with a higher level technical exam,
> i.e. RAE Part 1 and RAE part 2. Passing Pt1 would give a
> license for 50Mhz and above, a pass at Pt2 would give all
> bands, all modes except morse. An optional morse test would
> be available for those wanting to use morse/apply for reciprocal
> licenses.

Here I agree at least. A UK version of EXTRA. By technical, meaning
really quite hard. So hard that only the top 10% can pass. Then it
would be something to strive for.

Don't scrap morse or make it easier. Force the use of VHF only
for the first few years, for everyone. There is so much more to it than
HF, where you buy a rig, put up some wire and work the world with no
real need for understanding. Cheque book gratification.

Mike

Walt Davidson

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Mike Willis <m...@rcru.rl.ac.uk> wrote:

>Here I agree at least. A UK version of EXTRA. By technical, meaning
>really quite hard. So hard that only the top 10% can pass. Then it
>would be something to strive for.

Quite right! And their reward for passing could be a licence to operate
in the 73 kHz band.

:-)

73 de G3NYY

--
Walt Davidson E-mail: wa...@dial.pipex.com
10052...@compuserve.com

Michael Gathergood

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In message <211012812...@midnet.com>
c.s...@midnet.com (Colin Shaw) writes:

> 3. Lower the morse test requirement to 5wpm - from what others
> have said this could be done now?

Yes - agreed, though there's nothing to stop you getting a 2E0 now
by this route is there?

73
Mike
G4KFK
http://www.cits.com/G4KFK/

Colin Shaw

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Mike,

I agree with most of what you say, except the bit about keeping
the morse<grin>. Particularly agree re cheque book radio!
Maybe the way forward is to insist that everyone has
a novice license for 1st yr ?

David Hough

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In article <211012812...@midnet.com>

c.s...@midnet.com (Colin Shaw) writes:

> 3. Lower the morse test requirement to 5wpm - from what others
> have said this could be done now?

There is nothing to stop the holder of a class B licence from taking the
5wpm morse test(*) and getting a Novice A licence. This allows you
access to HF, albeit at QRP levels and in restricted bits of the band.

(*) I think you have to have held a B licence for a year though.

Dave
--
da...@llondel.demon.co.uk
Any advice above is worth what I paid for it.

Michael Gathergood

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In message <31AD5C...@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
Mike Willis <m...@rcru.rl.ac.uk> writes:

> Don't scrap morse or make it easier. Force the use of VHF only
> for the first few years, for everyone. There is so much more to it than

If this had been the case when I got my licence, I would probably not
have bothered.

> HF, where you buy a rig, put up some wire and work the world with no
> real need for understanding. Cheque book gratification.

Sure - buy a 2m FM rig, put up an aerial, and work lots of repeaters.
At least a chequebook approach to HF will teach the basics of propagation.

73
Mike
G4KFK

David Lee

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

In message <211012812...@midnet.com>
c.s...@midnet.com (Colin Shaw) writes:

> 1. Replace the morse test with a higher level technical exam,
> i.e. RAE Part 1 and RAE part 2. Passing Pt1 would give a
> license for 50Mhz and above, a pass at Pt2 would give all
> bands, all modes except morse. An optional morse test would
> be available for those wanting to use morse/apply for reciprocal
> licenses.

> 2. Scarp the morse test and not replace it.

> 3. Lower the morse test requirement to 5wpm - from what others

> have said this could be done now?

> 4. Do nothing - wait for a change to be forced upon us.

another thought:-
Scrap it, introduce 1 or 2 year probationary period
perhaps also with sponsorship of 1 or 2 existing Class
(delete Class) full license holders.

yet another thought:-
A 2 year 10W restriction.

73 de Dave
: Dave Lee Packet G0ROX @GB7BNM :
: Weymouth. Dorset. GQRP 5707 e-mail g0...@ukrs.org :

Bill Henderson

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

I am fed up with the whole debate about morse and the licence.

Just get on and pass the bloody thing !
--
Bill

Mike Willis

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Michael Gathergood wrote:

> In message <31AD5C...@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
> Mike Willis <m...@rcru.rl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Don't scrap morse or make it easier. Force the use of VHF only
> > for the first few years, for everyone. There is so much more to it than
>
> If this had been the case when I got my licence, I would probably not
> have bothered.

It was the case, Class B. Did a lot of good for VHF and UHF use in the
80s.

> > HF, where you buy a rig, put up some wire and work the world with no
> > real need for understanding. Cheque book gratification.
>
> Sure - buy a 2m FM rig, put up an aerial, and work lots of repeaters.
> At least a chequebook approach to HF will teach the basics of propagation.

We should look into discouraging the use of FM only VHF radios as well.
It is like entering the British touring car championship in a Reliant
Robin. Fun at first but you soon get frustrated.

Mike

> 73
> Mike
> G4KFK

Michael Gathergood

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

In message <211012812...@midnet.com>
c.s...@midnet.com (Colin Shaw) writes:

> I agree with most of what you say, except the bit about keeping
> the morse<grin>. Particularly agree re cheque book radio!

Right - applies to all bands except maybe 73KHz and 1296 MHz upwards,
regardless of the mode being used.

> Maybe the way forward is to insist that everyone has
> a novice license for 1st yr ?

But when I got my licence, it was after spending several years as an
SWL, on both HF and VHF, during which time I built (and pirated with
:-) my own 2m FM transmitter. When I passed my morse test, and when I
got my RAE (within a month of one another), I felt well-qualified to
hold a full licence.

Geoff Blake

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Mike Willis (m...@rcru.rl.ac.uk) wrote:

: We should look into discouraging the use of FM only VHF radios as well.

: It is like entering the British touring car championship in a Reliant
: Robin. Fun at first but you soon get frustrated.

IMHO the use of other than channelized FM (or AM - remember those days)
whilst driving is rather questionable - FM & Repeaters & Mobile go together
quite well. Fixed and/or portable, well that's different.

To the debate in general :

Let's allow morse as a qualification for HF working, along with the PROVEN
ability to build equipment to use it.

I really did get a kick out of working OZ9 on 23cms with < 3 watts - using
ALL home built equipment (except the AR88LF) in 1976! Much more that I could
ever get working a W2 with my shiney new FT 999 - but thats me!

Geoff
Geoff Blake ge...@palaemon.demon.co.uk linux 1.2.13
Chelmsford g8...@g8gnz.ampr.org (*now back*)
Intel create faster processors - Microsoft create slower processes

Martin Vernon

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

Bill Henderson (bill.he...@zetnet.co.uk) wrote:

> I am fed up with the whole debate about morse and the licence.
>
> Just get on and pass the bloody thing !

And I'm fed up with reading about it too. I'm even more fed up with the
dozens and dozens of smarmy class A ops who know SOD all about radio and
electronics, trying to impose THEIR wills upon those who have absolutely
no interest in flaming morse, so in response, I would reply that I
already speak 3 languages, I am pretty damned accomplished in
electronics (digital and analogue) and AC theory and I've been involved
with radios for about 25 years.

I also happen to be a "Radio Professional" as well as a "Radio Amateur",
so if you happen to be an A licensee and you DON'T meet or exceed my
criteria, and you think I should go out and learn morse, then my advice
to you is bugger off and learn about radio/electronics before handing out
any more advice - hypocrisy is NOT a desireable trait in Amateur Radio.

Cheers, Martin.
--
Martin Vernon, Sysop GB7OS/GB7OSP, Chairman GCPG, IP Co-ordinator N. Wales
GW6HVA@GB7OSP, gw6...@gb7osp.ampr.org, e-mail: mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk

Roy Temple

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <31AD5C...@rcru.rl.ac.uk>, Mike Willis
<m...@rcru.rl.ac.uk> writes

>Colin Shaw wrote:
>>
>> In an endeavour to open up the debate here are some suggestions
>> re morse and HF licenses. I apologise to others who
>> have already posted these ideas and do not claim them as mine:
>>
>> 1. Replace the morse test with a higher level technical exam,
>> i.e. RAE Part 1 and RAE part 2. Passing Pt1 would give a
>> license for 50Mhz and above, a pass at Pt2 would give all
>> bands, all modes except morse. An optional morse test would
>> be available for those wanting to use morse/apply for reciprocal
>> licenses.
>>

>Here I agree at least. A UK version of EXTRA. By technical, meaning
>really quite hard. So hard that only the top 10% can pass. Then it
>would be something to strive for.
>
>Don't scrap morse or make it easier. Force the use of VHF only
>for the first few years, for everyone. There is so much more to it than
>HF, where you buy a rig, put up some wire and work the world with no
>real need for understanding. Cheque book gratification.

At long last, some sensible suggestions..

Then again I've just read some of the other postings on this thread!!

Something needs to be done about the morse test..
I agree that the morse WAS needed for HF operation but now just look
and listen to these posting/freqs. There isn't now a substantial
majority for the keeping of the current morse test...someone somewhere
has to take notice of this, let's hope it's the right people. An
alternative must be found...I'm not saying just scrap the test, but find
a suitable and upto-date solution (wether it be a probationary period/
harder RAE/ how abt splitting the test into a VHF/ HF syllabus)

All class 'A' should have noticed by now that we don't want an easy way
onto the HF bands, just a fair, updated test which ensures people are
capable of transmitting on all parts of the HF bands, and not just
making sure that they can transmit on the lower 50 - 150 KHz of each
band.

Thanks all for taking the time to read this.

73's and bring on the flamers..Roy (G7KGT)
* ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ *
* / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / *
* /__ / / / / / /__ /___/ / _ /__ / /____ / *
* / / / / / / /\ / / / / / / *
* / /___/ /___ / /___ / \ /___/ /___ / ____/ / *
* Roy r...@roogna.demon.co.uk * g7kgt@gb7odm.#16.gbr.eu *

Colin Shaw

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

>>another thought:-
Scrap it, introduce 1 or 2 year probationary period
perhaps also with sponsorship of 1 or 2 existing Class
(delete Class) full license holders.

yet another thought:-
A 2 year 10W restriction.<<

A very good idea

Cliff Patten

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4oo6ju$4...@news.gb7osp>, Martin Vernon
<mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk> writes

>Bill Henderson (bill.he...@zetnet.co.uk) wrote:
>
>I'm even more fed up with the
>dozens and dozens of smarmy class A ops who know SOD all about radio and
>electronics, trying to impose THEIR wills upon those who have absolutely
>no interest in flaming morse, so in response, I would reply that I
>already speak 3 languages, I am pretty damned accomplished in
>electronics (digital and analogue) and AC theory and I've been involved
>with radios for about 25 years.
>
>I also happen to be a "Radio Professional" as well as a "Radio Amateur",
>so if you happen to be an A licensee and you DON'T meet or exceed my
>criteria, and you think I should go out and learn morse, then my advice
>to you is bugger off and learn about radio/electronics before handing out
>any more advice - hypocrisy is NOT a desireable trait in Amateur Radio.
>
>Cheers, Martin.

Why "Bugger off" then "Cheers" are you scared of offending someone...
speak your mind.... we are all friends here ( class B's excepted)

Dah di Dah ... sorry...."Over" :-)
--
Cliff Patten - G0 GDW

Colin Shaw

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

Roy Temple,r...@roogna.demon.co.uk,Internet writes:
All class 'A' should have noticed by now that we don't want an easy way
onto the HF bands, just a fair, updated test which ensures people are
capable of transmitting on all parts of the HF bands, and not just
making sure that they can transmit on the lower 50 - 150 KHz of each
band.

Excellent Roy!! I think standards would improve with stricter technical
exam and it does seem more appropriate with so many more modes available.

Michael J Wooding

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4oo6ju$4...@news.gb7osp>, Martin Vernon
<mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk> writes
> also happen to be a "Radio Professional" as well as a "Radio Amateur",
>so if you happen to be an A licensee and you DON'T meet or exceed my
>criteria, and you think I should go out and learn morse, then my advice
>to you is bugger off and learn about radio/electronics before handing out
>any more advice - hypocrisy is NOT a desireable trait in Amateur Radio.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - what have I missed?

Mike

--
Michael J Wooding vhf-...@g6iqm.demon.co.uk
http://www.eolas.co.uk/ag/vhfcomm.htm & http://www.clearlight.co./~vhfcomm

gareth alun evans

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <211012812...@midnet.com>
c.s...@midnet.com "Colin Shaw" writes:

> 1. Replace the morse test with a higher level technical exam,
> i.e. RAE Part 1 and RAE part 2. Passing Pt1 would give a
> license for 50Mhz and above, a pass at Pt2 would give all
> bands, all modes except morse. An optional morse test would
> be available for those wanting to use morse/apply for reciprocal
> licenses.

Whereas some form of incentive licensing may or may not be a good idea,
you've got this walt-about-face.
It is a greater technical challenge to design and construct equipment
for VHF than it is for HF.

--
72's de G4SDW Gareth Evans GQRP 3339 (Three threes are nine)

Michael J Wooding

Jun 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/1/96

In article <4okh8n$m...@roch.zetnet.co.uk>, Michael Gathergood
<g4...@zetnet.co.uk> writes

>Sure - buy a 2m FM rig, put up an aerial, and work lots of repeaters.
>At least a chequebook approach to HF will teach the basics of propagation.

Come on Mike - I know you know better than that! VHF and up is NOT 2m

Michael J Wooding

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In article <L5sgXAADbMsxEw$z...@cbshack.demon.co.uk>, Cliff Patten
<cpa...@cbshack.demon.co.uk> writes

> we are all friends here ( class B's excepted)

Hey Cliff - that's a little unfair!!!!!

Cliff Patten

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In article <GF6IxHAM...@g6iqm.demon.co.uk>, Michael J Wooding
<g6...@g6iqm.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <L5sgXAADbMsxEw$z...@cbshack.demon.co.uk>, Cliff Patten
><cpa...@cbshack.demon.co.uk> writes
>> we are all friends here ( class B's excepted)
>
>Hey Cliff - that's a little unfair!!!!!
>
>Mike
>
>--
Couldn't resist Mike!! (Evil grin) ;->

--
Cliff Patten

Frank Erskine

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

In article <4os5uo$2...@soap.news.pipex.net>, Walt Davidson
<wa...@dial.pipex.com> writes

>c.s...@midnet.com (Colin Shaw) wrote:
>
>>>yet another thought:-
>>> A 2 year 10W restriction.<<
>
>>A very good idea
>
>There was at one time a 1-year 25-watt-input restriction, AND a 1-year
>CW-only restriction.
>
>It would be an even better idea to bring back that rule! The
>probationary year was used to good effect for people to learn manners
>and good operating procedures.

IF people go *on* the air in their probationary period!
--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Martin Vernon

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

Cliff Patten (cpa...@cbshack.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> Why "Bugger off" then "Cheers" are you scared of offending someone...

Me, scared of offending folk - you MUST be joking !!!!

> speak your mind.... we are all friends here ( class B's excepted)

I thought I had spoken my mind, Oh I'm sorry, you were trying to be funny.

> Dah di Dah ... sorry...."Over" :-)
> --
> Cliff Patten - G0 GDW

Maybe you didn't understand my points. I have heard the timeless whinge
over and over again during the years "Just stop complaining and get it
done" - relating to the morse bit.

This generally comes from those who hold one or more of these traits :-

(1) Struggled to do their morse.

(2) Think that others should also have to suffer (as they did) to prove
themselves.

(3) Feel they have joined some elitist camp and should look down on
other's who have not attained their status.

(4) Those who are less technically competent and choose to use bravado,
bullshit and elitism to cover up their appalling technical
incompetence.

So all I can say is if the cap fits then wear it. I know one thing, I
could re-learn morse (yes I used to use it in primary school) very
easily, though I KNOW a lot of A licensees who could NEVER hope to be
even remotely technically competent.

There, "mind" spoken enough for you ???

Walt Davidson

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

c.s...@midnet.com (Colin Shaw) wrote:

>>yet another thought:-
>> A 2 year 10W restriction.<<

>A very good idea

There was at one time a 1-year 25-watt-input restriction, AND a 1-year
CW-only restriction.

It would be an even better idea to bring back that rule! The
probationary year was used to good effect for people to learn manners
and good operating procedures.

73 de G3NYY

Cliff Patten

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4orc60$6...@news.gb7osp>, Martin Vernon
<mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk> writes

Hi Martin,

I don't know if you read my postings a couple of weeks ago about
amateurs coming into my shop and asking me to solder on PL-259 plugs
etc? I think that this is a little bit sad, (to be generous) So I
broadly agree with some of your comments.

By the way, I don't think I fit into groups 1 to 4, I am more of a group
5 person.

(5) Don't really give a shit. :-)

Best regards,

Cliff

Martin Vernon

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

Cliff Patten (cpa...@cbshack.demon.co.uk) wrote:

Hi Cliff,

> I don't know if you read my postings a couple of weeks ago about
> amateurs coming into my shop and asking me to solder on PL-259 plugs
> etc? I think that this is a little bit sad, (to be generous) So I
> broadly agree with some of your comments.

OK, then it seems we're coming from the same direction.

> By the way, I don't think I fit into groups 1 to 4, I am more of a group
> 5 person.
>

> (5) Don't really give a shit. :-)

Aha, you have me sussed, no I don't either.

My lack of HF/Morse is threefold (in order of precedence) :-

1. No interest
2. Can't afford it
3. Live in a flat with 9 antennae already on the roof (no more space)

Cheers, Martin

Mike Gathergood

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

In article <4p0hac$8...@news.gb7osp>
mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk "Martin Vernon" writes:

> My lack of HF/Morse is threefold (in order of precedence) :-
>
> 1. No interest
> 2. Can't afford it
> 3. Live in a flat with 9 antennae already on the roof (no more space)

Can't afford it?? You can get active with a few watts of CW on any of
the HF bands for an outlay of less than 20 quid.

73
Mike
G4KFK

Martin Vernon

Jun 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/7/96

Of course I could - I already have the capacity to make 50mW on any freq
between 100Kcs and 1.2Ghz - all it needs is a mic and a small PA and away
I go.

The point is that item number one applies and takes precedence over and
above the other two.

Incedentally, finding spare 20 quid is NOT as easy as you might think for
me, I'm not one of life's more comfortable off - every spare penny I have
goes into running and providing the BBS and packet stuff here.

Cheers, Martin.

Michael Gathergood

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

In message <4p8enp$1...@news.gb7osp>
mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk (Martin Vernon) writes:

> Mike Gathergood (Mi...@g4kfk.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> > In article <4p0hac$8...@news.gb7osp>
> > mar...@gw6hva.demon.co.uk "Martin Vernon" writes:
> >
> > > My lack of HF/Morse is threefold (in order of precedence) :-
> > >
> > > 1. No interest
> > > 2. Can't afford it
> > > 3. Live in a flat with 9 antennae already on the roof (no more space)
> >
> > Can't afford it?? You can get active with a few watts of CW on any of
> > the HF bands for an outlay of less than 20 quid.

> Of course I could - I already have the capacity to make 50mW on any freq
> between 100Kcs and 1.2Ghz - all it needs is a mic and a small PA and away
> I go.

> The point is that item number one applies and takes precedence over and
> above the other two.

I'm sorry - I misunderstood what you'd said. I thought you wanted to
use HF.