I'm still laughing now...

Chaney

Jan 10, 2005, 6:46:28 AM1/10/05
Laugh...I almost p*ss*d myself...

Our local cretin has a FT101ZD...basically it is all he can afford on dole
money...after he had finally broke in on the net he piped up "I'm looking
for a scope for my 101"...one of the more witty members of the net said "a
periscope"...to which he replied "I ain't that thick...that's off a
submarine"...so our witty friend said "must be a microscope then"...to which
he replied "yeah...that's the one"...

I'm still chuckling...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

Gordon Hudson

Jan 10, 2005, 7:48:31 AM1/10/05

"Chaney" <cha...@i12.com> wrote in message

> Laugh...I almost p*ss*d myself...
>
> Our local cretin has a FT101ZD...basically it is all he can afford on dole
> money...

What is wrong with an FT101ZD ?

OK, a 902DM would be better but a 101ZD is a real pocket money piece of kit
with great performance
and well suppressed harmonics on the TX side.

Message has been deleted

tox

Jan 10, 2005, 8:40:23 AM1/10/05

"Gordon Hudson" <gor...@usenet2.hostroute.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Chaney" <cha...@i12.com> wrote in message
> > Laugh...I almost p*ss*d myself...
> >
> > Our local cretin has a FT101ZD...basically it is all he can afford on
dole
> > money...
>
> What is wrong with an FT101ZD ?

Indeed Gordon...

Furthermore, whilst the local cretin may well be on the dole, I'll bet he
isn't getting child support for five kids.

Regards
tox

Gordon Hudson

Jan 10, 2005, 9:14:49 AM1/10/05

"MattD.." <matt...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday 10 Jan 2005 12:48, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be
> Gordon Hudson for a while caused the following to be typed:

>> What is wrong with an FT101ZD ?
>
> Nothing. I still use mine in preference to my more modern radios.

>> OK, a 902DM would be better but a 101ZD is a real pocket money piece of
>> kit with great performance
>> and well suppressed harmonics on the TX side.
>
> The 902DM was synthesised, wasn't it? That's where a 101 excels. A really
> sensitive receiver with a low noise floor. However, you have to know how
> use one to get the most out of it.

As I remember it the 902DM was still a 5 to 5.5MHz analogue VFO but with a
double converison receiver, so it was like the Yaesu equivalent of the
TS830.
Its been a while since I have seen a 902 but I am fairly sure its an
analogue VFO.

When I switched from my TS530 to an ICOM 735 I started to cause TVI.
The filtering in the valve rigs is much tighter.
I am heading back to something like an 830 or a 902, or possibly a solid
state rig
running 10 or 20w into a valve linear, hopefully producing a nice clean
output.

Message has been deleted

Steve H

Jan 10, 2005, 12:22:35 PM1/10/05
> On Monday 10 Jan 2005 14:14, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be

> Gordon Hudson for a while caused the following to be typed:
>
> > As I remember it the 902DM was still a 5 to 5.5MHz analogue VFO but with
> > double converison receiver, so it was like the Yaesu equivalent of the
> > TS830.
> > Its been a while since I have seen a 902 but I am fairly sure its an
> > analogue VFO.
>
> In which case, I withdraw my comment. I must admit a soft spot for the
older
> kit. Quite apart from the superior linearity, filtering and the ability to
> delve inside and fix things without a scanning electron microsope, you get
> the sense you are using a real radio. That's not to say I'm Beanish in my
> attitude; I have a TS-680 which is computer controlled and I enjoy PSK31
> operation but there's something about a 101ZD that these things just can't
> match.
> --
> Radio glossary #7
> Soldering iron: An instrument of masochism, used extensively by people in
> holey trousers.

I think the first synthesised yaesu was the FT 1, lots of bells and whistles
but nowhere near as good on receive as the 902. I run an old TS-830 in
preference to the newer kit, it's far cleaner on transmit and less intermod
on receive.

Steve H

Chaney

Jan 10, 2005, 12:54:29 PM1/10/05
What you forgot to mention was that two of the kids that I care for aren't
mine...two kids who don't have a mother or real father of their own...two
beautiful kids that call me dad...so now who looks a pillock!!!...

Still a liar as well...kill-file indeed!!!...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

"tox" <nos...@nospamming.co.com> wrote in message

Chaney

Jan 10, 2005, 1:00:21 PM1/10/05
You're right on both counts...it is a pocket money piece of kit...and...it
is an excellent peice of kit...the (first) point being the one that I
made...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

Starr

Jan 11, 2005, 4:42:40 PM1/11/05

"Chaney" <cha...@i12.com> wrote in message
> Laugh...I almost p*ss*d myself...
>
> Our local cretin has a FT101ZD...basically it is all he can afford on dole
> money...after he had finally broke in on the net he piped up "I'm looking
> for a scope for my 101"...one of the more witty members of the net said "a
> periscope"...to which he replied "I ain't that thick...that's off a
> submarine"...so our witty friend said "must be a microscope then"...to
which
> he replied "yeah...that's the one"...
>
> I'm still chuckling...

Hey. The 101s are nice radios and they cost a little more than dole money.

Starr

Jan 11, 2005, 4:48:17 PM1/11/05

"MattD.." <matt...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday 10 Jan 2005 14:14, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be

> Gordon Hudson for a while caused the following to be typed:
>
> > As I remember it the 902DM was still a 5 to 5.5MHz analogue VFO but with
> > double converison receiver, so it was like the Yaesu equivalent of the
> > TS830.
> > Its been a while since I have seen a 902 but I am fairly sure its an
> > analogue VFO.
>
> In which case, I withdraw my comment. I must admit a soft spot for the
older
> kit. Quite apart from the superior linearity, filtering and the ability to
> delve inside and fix things without a scanning electron microsope, you get
> the sense you are using a real radio. That's not to say I'm Beanish in my
> attitude; I have a TS-680 which is computer controlled and I enjoy PSK31
> operation but there's something about a 101ZD that these things just can't
> match.
> --

Your not the only one. A friend of mine just flogged of his ts2000 and
expensive yaesu radio in a box in favour of all valve gear including a 902
for HF.

Message has been deleted

Starr

Jan 11, 2005, 5:42:29 PM1/11/05

> On Tuesday 11 Jan 2005 21:48, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be
> Starr for a while caused the following to be typed:

> > Your not the only one. A friend of mine just flogged of his ts2000 and
> > expensive yaesu radio in a box in favour of all valve gear including a
902
> > for HF.
>
> Yes and I bet he's having more fun with that FT-902 that he ever did with
> the worst radio Kenwood ever produced. The TS-2000 was a mistake.

There a 3 former owners I know that would agree with you.

> That's not to detract from the 902, but having been on the receiving end
of
> a few 2000s, it is my opinion that Kenwood let themselves down badly,
> especially given the quality of their "lower end" set, the TS-570, both
the
> S and the DG.

Yes I heard the 2000 is quite deaf and the voice compression sucks among
other things. Perhaps Kenwood should have concentrated on the functionality
of the radio rather than the whistles and bells
> --
> Radio glossary #42
> Licence: A document which has terms and conditions proportional to the
> number of people discussing it.

Message has been deleted

Roger Muggleton

Jan 11, 2005, 7:59:57 PM1/11/05
In article <cs1h8g$j6h$0...@pita.alt.net>, St...@proxima.net (Starr) wrote:

> Hey. The 101s are nice radios and they cost a little more than dole
> money.

If you have enough of them, you can bury them in the garden to improve your
radial system.

--
Roger.

Chaney

Jan 11, 2005, 8:29:26 PM1/11/05
Our club have a TS570...it's a bit of a let down after operating a Mark V at
home...and...one of my friends has just bought a Mark V Field to replace an
TS870...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

"MattD.." <matt...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tuesday 11 Jan 2005 21:48, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be
> Starr for a while caused the following to be typed:

>> Your not the only one. A friend of mine just flogged of his ts2000 and
>> expensive yaesu radio in a box in favour of all valve gear including a
>> 902
>> for HF.
>

> Yes and I bet he's having more fun with that FT-902 that he ever did with
> the worst radio Kenwood ever produced. The TS-2000 was a mistake.
>

> That's not to detract from the 902, but having been on the receiving end
> of
> a few 2000s, it is my opinion that Kenwood let themselves down badly,
> especially given the quality of their "lower end" set, the TS-570, both
> the
> S and the DG.

Chaney

Jan 11, 2005, 8:37:04 PM1/11/05
When the moron purchased it he was on Income Support...Invalidity...Sickness
Benefit and his XYL was getting Care Allowance...he used to brag on 2m that
he was on almost £200 a week...mind you he reckons he's been a M3 for 4
years...anyway...I'm sure you could pick up a 101zd for a little less than
that...

At no point in my original post did I say that the 101 was a crap rig just
that it could be purchased these days with dole money...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

"Starr" <St...@proxima.net> wrote in message

jim.gm4dhj

Jan 12, 2005, 1:55:25 AM1/12/05

> Our club have a TS570...it's a bit of a let down after operating a Mark V
at
> home...and...one of my friends has just bought a Mark V Field to replace
an
> TS870...
>
> --
>
> Chaney...

Bet his 'phone takes pikthurs.......

Starr

Jan 12, 2005, 3:50:20 AM1/12/05

> On Tuesday 11 Jan 2005 22:42, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be

> Starr for a while caused the following to be typed:
>
> > Yes I heard the 2000 is quite deaf and the voice compression sucks among
> > other things. Perhaps Kenwood should have concentrated on the
> > functionality of the radio rather than the whistles and bells
>
> Agreed. The older Kenwoods gave them their reputation. Anyone hearing a
> TS-440 (before the gunk on the VCO becomes conductive, a minor problem)
> would know exactly what I mean. The TS-2000 destroyed that reputation with
> a radio that sounds ill right out of the box.
>
> I was talking to a TS-2000 owner on 2m once. He wanted to make a coffee so
> he switched to the VX5 hand-held whilst he did so. The VX5 sounded far
> better. Being a total b'stard, I told him ;-)

LOL. I know exactly what you mean. I was on the club net on 2m a few months
back and I was running a ft-1500 (about £80) for vhf and a 102 (around £250)
for hf. the pair of radio's cost a fraction of ts-2000 did then or still do
even though the 2000 price has dropped. anyway a friend came on the net with
a spanking new 2000 on the vhf club net and i got much better audio reports
on my little 1500 (which cost around £80 :)) than his 2000 (around 2 grand)
I never told him nbut everyone else did :).
> --
> Radio glossary #9
> Mobile: The state in which one drives whilst trying to set the duplex
shift
> on a modern radio, usually described as "driving without due care".

Starr

Jan 12, 2005, 3:54:23 AM1/12/05

> When the moron purchased it he was on Income
Support...Invalidity...Sickness
> Benefit and his XYL was getting Care Allowance...he used to brag on 2m
that
> he was on almost £200 a week...mind you he reckons he's been a M3 for 4
> years...anyway...I'm sure you could pick up a 101zd for a little less than
> that...

That hardly counts as dole money. I knew of more than one person that due to
family and sickness benefit couldn't afford to work. One stated that he had
no discernable skills so any job he got would pay him less than his
benefits.

> At no point in my original post did I say that the 101 was a crap rig just
> that it could be purchased these days with dole money...

If you happen to be on sickness benefit with family support etc :)

Message has been deleted

Chaney

Jan 12, 2005, 11:20:36 AM1/12/05
I think the 570 is more Fiat Panda to be honest with you...now somebody is
gonna say what's wrong with a Fiat Panda???...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

> On Wednesday 12 Jan 2005 01:29, the whim of a few quarks and leptons to be
> Chaney for a while caused the following to be typed:

>> Our club have a TS570...it's a bit of a let down after operating a Mark V
>> at home...and...one of my friends has just bought a Mark V Field to
>> replace an TS870...
>

> Comparing a MarkV with a 570 is a bit like comparing a Merc with a Ford.
> ;-)
> --
> Radio glossary #49
> Callsign envy: The new scheme for those without a penis.

James Bond

Jan 12, 2005, 1:32:05 PM1/12/05
for starters, it don't even look like a panda!

sorry, couldn't resist!

dr. x

Chaney

Jan 13, 2005, 5:41:48 AM1/13/05
Ugly to look at and very none functional...striking resemblance I would
say...

--

Chaney...

Chaney's World...
www.chaney.i12.com

"James Bond" <justme...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

James Bond

Jan 13, 2005, 10:30:58 AM1/13/05
dah, you got me

:-D

dr. x

> Ugly to look at and very none functional...striking resemblance I would
> say...

>> for starters, it don't even look like a panda!

Caveat Lector

Jan 13, 2005, 10:33:40 AM1/13/05
The real Bond, James Bond -- would never admit to "dah, you got me"
--
Caveat Lector

> dah, you got me

James Bond

Jan 13, 2005, 11:56:38 AM1/13/05
well in my old age i'm getting a bit weary. after all i'm over 90 years old
now.

i was over 30 when i starred in my first film, but time is getting on. it's
just amazing, i think, how i manage to keep my youthful good looks, as can
be shown by my latest films.

but as i say, unfortunately some of the people on this list are more
intelligent than the mere supercriminals i have had to deal with in my time,
so i took a retirement from the secret service and became a mad doctor,
hence my new name of dr. x, taken from the name of one of my previous arch -
enemies.

i could tell you all stories which would intrigue you. some which never even
made it into films....

dr. x